Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Official Visit to Dublin - July 10-11, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I would give up my privacy and my anonymity to spend a couple days with the Book of Kells and a couple months with Brian Boru's harp. I have the sheet music written by Turlough O'Carolan and would love to go off into my own world and learn to play them on that harp. (I previously played these tunes on the fiddle and the hammered dulcimer). Ahh... one can dream. :D

Y'know, I've heard it said that some men and most all dogs are chick magnets. Harry most definitely is a child magnet. Meghan ranks right up there with him. It will be a pleasure watching these two with their own children.

This trip to Ireland is going beautifully and Harry and Meghan seem to be enjoying themselves.

Yes I agree that this is definitely one of the requirements of royal life.
Is it though? People say this but BRF members pretty regularly wade into issues that have political undercurrents. Harry, William and Charles all regularly touch on political issues even if people fudge that. William and Harry do it more delicately than the POW.

The Irish referendum was a huge deal. Massive. And was on an issue that is legal in the UK. Much ado about nothing and IMO shows Meghan is rather well informed of things going on in the world.

But I am aware I will be in the minority on the view!

Last edited:
Is it though? Harry, William and Charles all regularly touch on political issues even if people fudge that. The Irish referendum was a huge deal. Massive. And was on an issue that is legal in the UK. Much ado about nothing and IMP shows Meghan is rather well informed of things going on in the world.

And they have all taken some heavy criticism for that. Charles in particular will have to be very, very careful when he becomes king, because constitutionally he cannot be seen as being political, and he has crossed the line more than once as PoW.

And they are actual members of the royal family; Meghan, Catherine, Camilla, et. al. need to be even more careful.

The Duke and Duchess visit the GAA Headquaters at Croke Park and then at Trinity College in central Dublin the Book of Kells is housed here.

Last edited:
It all sounds and looks absolutely delicious. However, the starter would be enough for me, with a nice glass of white wine. I'll forgo the Guinness, thanks!

I actually quite enjoyed Guinness while I was in Europe. Not so much in the States.

Yes, it's supposed to be very good for you. My grandfather had a glass every day for about fifty years (it was originally recommended as a tonic to 'build him up' after an illness) and he lived to be ninety.

Too heavy for me though. I prefer lager.

I love Guinness myself. People think I'm odd because I drink it at room temperature and never put in the refrigerator but I think it tastes best that way.
:cheers:

I personally hate Guinness far too heavy for me I prefer Cider moreso in the summer!

The visit to the Famine Memorial at Custom House Quay in the Dublin Docklands,perhaps one of Meghan's Irish ancestors left Ireland during that terrible time and might have struck a chord

Last edited:
Guiness is ok when done right! There is a great Irish pub here in DC that I love getting various Guinness drinks at.

Otherwise it is rather heavy.

Guiness is ok when done right! There is a great Irish pub here in DC that I love getting various Guinness drinks at.

Otherwise it is rather heavy.

Mind sharing via PM? I might stop by there next time I'm in DC. Haven't found a good one in the States.

I've been to Fado Irish Pub in DC as it was close to ice rink for hockey games. Its been a while though. Absolutely the best place to get Guinness on draft is at an Irish pub and I've been known to gravitate towards those. ;)

The Irish have long memories and I grew up with stories about the Great Hunger and just how hard the times were during the potato famine. My grandparents were born in late 1800s and had many, many stories to tell. Its something that I hope never, ever happens again on this earth.

This is one trip to Ireland that I wish I could have hidden away in one of Harry or Meghan's suitcases and had a cloak of invisibility to follow them around. :D

I've been to Fado Irish Pub in DC as it was close to ice rink for hockey games. Its been a while though. Absolutely the best place to get Guinness on draft is at an Irish pub and I've been known to gravitate towards those. ;)

The Irish have long memories and I grew up with stories about the Great Hunger and just how hard the times were during the potato famine. My grandparents were born in late 1800s and had many, many stories to tell. Its something that I hope never, ever happens again on this earth.

This is one trip to Ireland that I wish I could have hidden away in one of Harry or Meghan's suitcases and had a cloak of invisibility to follow them around. :D

Fado is a fave for me too!!

Jacqui, just PM’ed you!

Is it though? People say this but BRF members pretty regularly wade into issues that have political undercurrents. Harry, William and Charles all regularly touch on political issues even if people fudge that. William and Harry do it more delicately than the POW.

The Irish referendum was a huge deal. Massive. And was on an issue that is legal in the UK. Much ado about nothing and IMO shows Meghan is rather well informed of things going on in the world.

Incorrect - it's not legal here in Northern Ireland (except in extreme circumstances) which is in the UK. Abortion is an enormously difficult political issue here, as just about everything is in this very divided little bit of land. Any comment by a British royal approving of abortion is a gigantic no-no and I say that as someone who feels it should be legalised in NI.

I would've thought a tie at the famine memorial would've been a good idea for Harry. Much too casual.

Other than that, fairly bog standard stuff for a visit of British royals to Dublin. No trip up the road to Kilkeel, their barony! Very unfortunate.

Incorrect - it's not legal here in Northern Ireland (except in extreme circumstances) which is in the UK. Abortion is an enormously difficult political issue here, as just about everything is in this very divided little bit of land. Any comment by a British royal approving of abortion is a gigantic no-no and I say that as someone who feels it should be legalised in NI.

I would've thought a tie at the famine memorial would've been a good idea for Harry. Much too casual.

Other than that, fairly bog standard stuff for a visit of British royals to Dublin. No trip up the road to Kilkeel, their barony! Very unfortunate.

You are very right, I utterly forgot about NI! Long day at work already has been having some brain fog!

And they have all taken some heavy criticism for that. Charles in particular will have to be very, very careful when he becomes king, because constitutionally he cannot be seen as being political, and he has crossed the line more than once as PoW.

And they are actual members of the royal family; Meghan, Catherine, Camilla, et. al. need to be even more careful.

True, Its foolish enough to make comments on controversial issues in the UK.. (or even human rights abuses elsewhere) but to say something indiscreet about a very controversial issues in another country, and one which has had a difficult relationship with the UK... that's very foolish indeed.

Last port of call for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, meeting children at Dublin tech start-up, Dogpatch.

I think the Duke and Duchess had rather successful brief visit on their 1st overseas trip hopefully the Duke gets to watch the match!

True, Its foolish enough to make comments on controversial issues in the UK.. (or even human rights abuses elsewhere) but to say something indiscreet about a very controversial issues in another country, and one which has had a difficult relationship with the UK... that's very foolish indeed.

Except that she didn't. The person who conversed with Meghan later clarified that it was only her personal impression that the DoS was pleased but she actually only said that she followed the referendum along with interest.

Of course the Daily Fail posted an article on it AFTER the person already clarified that no audible endorsement in any shape or from came from the DoS. Journalistic integrity of the highest order..... (I so wish we would stop giving such a vile and nasty place any clicks here. )

Ahhh.. but don't you know? Children are color blind. They do, however have sensitive radar to pick up on nice ladies and nice guys. We could learn a lot from children. :D

A very successful and beautiful visit!

Exceptionally fun to watch these two on tour. Their personal chemistry as a couple is just WOW! Plus they have charm and charisma for days. They seemed to win over everyone they met from the President to the littlest of kids. Plus, they both seem to be genuinely interested in the people that they meet. They've done their homework but they also just know how to work the room. It will be interesting to see if any of the conversations have staying power beyond today. Will Ireland join the Invictus Games? Will Meghan actually go back to the Old Library when the 1st female bust is installed? The tour can be counted a success either way but I'm excited to see if they follow-up.

Also interested to see what their signature outing will be. That event that becomes the standard for every tour. W&K tend to challenge each other in a local sport. I think C&C try local delicacies. Based on this tour, I hope H&M's signature is outings with kids and/or dogs. Other ideas?

Also interested to see what their signature outing will be. That event that becomes the standard for every tour. W&K tend to challenge each other in a local sport. I think C&C try local delicacies. Based on this tour, I hope H&M's signature is outings with kids and/or dogs. Other ideas?

Holding hands. ;)

I'm kidding...sort of.

Goodness Meghan talked about the politics of abortion in Ireland and nothing said if that was Kate she would in trouble but not Meghan. She won’t be able to get away this much sooner. She knows she can’t talk like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom