The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1981  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:36 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Yes, the addition of the "royal" to Sussex has always been the sticking point for me, but we'll see how that plays out. The Sussexes certainly have gone to a lot of trouble to set up the Sussex Royal brand, so using it may be non-negotiable for them. It all depends on how scorched earth they are willing to go.


Scorched earth policy would be totally stupid and really underscore and reinforce public perceptions that they are spitting in the face of the monarchy. It would make for a riveting interview but of little long term value to their lives.
__________________

  #1982  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:37 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,673
Feel free to delete if this has been posted before.

According to Evening Standard, the Canadian PM has pledged that Canada will cover the security costs while H&M are in Canada.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...-a4332906.html
__________________

  #1983  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:38 AM
ACO ACO is online now
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,240
Interesting update about Canada. I have to say I am a bit surprised.
  #1984  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:42 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,105
Along with the bullying statement posted by the same RR

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail

For what it is worth, we are also being told today that Harry and Meghan have 'no plans' to do an interview (television or print)....
  #1985  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:42 AM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Scorched earth policy would be totally stupid and really underscore and reinforce public perceptions that they are spitting in the face of the monarchy. It would make for a riveting interview but of little long term value to their lives.
Agreed. However, I've already been astonished at some of the things the Sussexes have done, and their willingness to air things that most royals would never give friends permission to say, or wouldn't say themselves to reporters. And to flout a direct request from the Queen and Prince Charles. So. We'll see.
  #1986  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:42 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Feel free to delete if this has been posted before.

According to Evening Standard, the Canadian PM has pledged that Canada will cover the security costs while H&M are in Canada.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...-a4332906.html
As I expected. Even more so with a PM like Trudeau who is personally friends with Meghan.

We have to wait for official confirmation, but basically British police cannot provide 24/7 protection on a permanent basis in a sovereign foreign country. If H&M want to live most of the year ( or at least a significant part of the year) in Canada and have public security , the Canadian police will have to do it. From what I understood from our fellow Canadian posters ( than you again!), it will be the RCMP, that is, the federal/national police, that will be responsible for protecting them.

Edit: should we assume they have already figured out the immigration situation also? If so, I am waiting for the political fallout in Canada.
  #1987  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:49 AM
vkrish's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 982
What time is the meeting? When will it get over? Do we get to know any conclusive outcome today?
__________________
The only word I hate in the Royal Dictionary - ABDICATION
  #1988  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:58 AM
TortillaChips's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Along with the bullying statement posted by the same RR

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail

For what it is worth, we are also being told today that Harry and Meghan have 'no plans' to do an interview (television or print)....
I do think this is interesting but mainly because the Sussexes have implied that they wont be liaising with RR - so how would Rebecca know if that is the case?
  #1989  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:59 AM
texankitcat's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
What time is the meeting? When will it get over? Do we get to know any conclusive outcome today?
The meeting starts at 2:00 pm
  #1990  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:00 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,850
As per Twitter, Harry arrived at 11.20am, whilst William arrived at 1.45pm.
  #1991  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:01 AM
TortillaChips's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
What time is the meeting? When will it get over? Do we get to know any conclusive outcome today?
Supposedly the meeting is 2pm (Harry arrived prior to that according to royal reporters) - I can't see how something can't be announced, even if it's just to say negotiations are still ongoing?? Surely??
  #1992  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:03 AM
ACO ACO is online now
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
As per Twitter, Harry arrived at 11.20am, whilst William arrived at 1.45pm.
Sounds about right. Make sense for HMQ and PoW to talk to him alone first.
  #1993  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:05 AM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Along with the bullying statement posted by the same RR

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail

For what it is worth, we are also being told today that Harry and Meghan have 'no plans' to do an interview (television or print)....
So it confirms that the statement was aimed at Tom Bradby's article
  #1994  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:06 AM
QueenMathilde's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 517
I'll interrupt to bring up something the papers finally mentioned today that I remember hearing abut when Diana got divorced. There's a 300 year old rule that says the queen's grandchildren are her custodial children should anything happen. Something like that. I thought that's maybe why they left Archie in Canada. The paper said it wouldn't apply to Archie and the Queen because he's her great grandchild not her grandchild - but it would apply to Charles and Archie. He would get custody of Archie.
  #1995  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:07 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I'll interrupt to bring up something the papers finally mentioned today that I remember hearing abut when Diana got divorced. There's a 300 year old rule that says the queen's grandchildren are her custodial children should anything happen. Something like that. I thought that's maybe why they left Archie in Canada. The paper said it wouldn't apply to Archie and the Queen because he's her great grandchild not her grandchild - but it would apply to Charles and Archie. He would get custody of Archie.
I would be surprised if such a rule were to be implemented today.
  #1996  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:11 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,527
So maybe H & M should so some appreciation for their father and father-in-law...If Charles wants to support his son out of his pocket, that’s fine (though, Harry wouldn’t exactly be independent then), but not from the Duchy.

Quote:
The Prince of Wales has been paying millions of pounds extra to fund Harry and Meghan’s lifestyle from his private income — on top of the money he gives them from the profits of the Duchy of Cornwall, the Standard has learned.

At one stage he was paying the ​Sussexes, who say they want to be financially independent in their new role once they step down as “senior royals”, more than Prince William and his family. That figure is now around the same.

Inside sources say Charles paid out “hundreds of thousands of pounds” in private income too to help furnish Harry and Meghan’s Windsor home, Frogmore Cottage, in addition to the £2.4 million of taxpayers’ money spent on renovations.


“On top of that he paid out a small fortune for their wedding,” a source said.

Another source told the Standard: “There is a great deal of hurt given that the Prince of Wales has gone out of his way to help his son who he loves dearly and embrace his daughter-in-law into the family.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...box=1578917392
  #1997  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 AM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
So maybe H & M should so some appreciation for their father and father-in-law...If Charles wants to support his son out of his pocket, that’s fine (though, Harry wouldn’t exactly be independent then), but not from the Duchy.



https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...box=1578917392
I always assumed that Charles privately funded both his sons in addition to Duchy money, so I'm not sure how much news this is. Aside from the issue of personal hurt Charles may or may not be feeling, it certainly does illustrate how complicated and expensive Harry and Meghan living abroad may be--we haven't even gotten to the issue of who is going to pay for their home(s) in Canada and/or the US.

The tax situation has always been an interesting and expensive one.
  #1998  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:23 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Along with the bullying statement posted by the same RR

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail

For what it is worth, we are also being told today that Harry and Meghan have 'no plans' to do an interview (television or print)....


I think that is something they needed address directly, especially since that was coming from Tom Bradby. So- good.

That and the bullying.
  #1999  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:25 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaChips View Post
I do think this is interesting but mainly because the Sussexes have implied that they wont be liaising with RR - so how would Rebecca know if that is the case?
Typically even the RR won't claim they were told by BP if they weren't told by BP.



LaRae
  #2000  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:25 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I always assumed that Charles privately funded both his sons in addition to Duchy money, so I'm not sure how much news this is. Aside from the issue of personal hurt Charles may or may not be feeling, it certainly does illustrate how complicated and expensive Harry and Meghan living abroad may be--we haven't even gotten to the issue of who is going to pay for their home(s) in Canada and/or the US.

The tax situation has always been an interesting and expensive one.
I would assume they are expected to pay for their home in Canada themselves. That is the minimum definition of “ financial independence “ .
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020 Dman The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 1150 09-06-2020 07:30 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi althorp american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry british british royals chittagong countess of snowdon daisy diana princess of wales duke of cambridge dutch dutch royals family life family tree future games gustaf vi adolf haakon vii hereditary grand duke guillaume hill history house of glucksburg imperial household interesting israel jack brooksbank jacobite japan jewelry jumma kids movie king willem-alexander książ castle list of rulers mailing maxima nepal nepalese royal family norwegian royal family prince charles prince charles of luxembourg princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess elizabeth princess ribha pronunciation queen louise queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal wedding snowdon spain speech spencer family taiwan thailand thai royal family tracts unsubscribe videos wedding gown wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×