King Abdullah & Queen Rania & Family: Current News & Pictures Part 15

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you both , and understand yours points , it is not the first time that happen on Oprha Show they did it before when they host Shikah from the royal family of Kuwait and she was talking about the women in Kuwait as that every one lives like her !!
I like when some one came from our region to talk about what happen on the ground , what happen to the most of the people , I hope they stop creating an image that satisfied the west , I don't know why they care about their opinion in our lifes more than our opinion in our lifes !!

The Queen doing great job in helping women in Jordan through Jordan River projects for example ,but they didn't show that !! shame on them .

This is the point houri ..
I mean many of my friends participated as volunteers " providing feasibility & financial Studies" in many project that aimed at helping women in creating financial independence to achieve better living standards for their families " Many widows and divorced ones" and it was her majesty efforts and support and encouragement that opened the door for such issues to surface ..

Maybe next time they'll shed the light on these brave and amazing women who are the real Jordanian ladies and who are the direct beneficiaries of her majesty efforts …

God bless her and may she keep on doing her best for Jordan ....she is still young and one learns from mistakes ...

houri said:
I agree with you both , and understand yours points , it is not the first time that happen on Oprha Show they did it before when they host Shikah from the royal family of Kuwait and she was talking about the women in Kuwait as that every one lives like her !!
I like when some one came from our region to talk about what happen on the ground , what happen to the most of the people , I hope they stop creating an image that satisfied the west , I don't know why they care about their opinion in our lifes more than our opinion in our lifes !!

The Queen doing great job in helping women in Jordan through Jordan River projects for example ,but they didn't show that !! shame on them .

function doCorpInfoSearch(corpInfoDictStr){corpInfoDictWin=window.open('/cm/?corpSelect=cName&searchType=company&corpQuery=' + corpInfoDictStr + '&cHName=' + corpInfoDictStr ,'corpInfoDictWin');corpInfoDictWin.focus(); } AMMAN (JT) — Her Majesty Queen Rania met with the Arab Women's Labour Committee (AWLC) on Wednesday to discuss ways of developing guidelines and regulations to improve the working environment for women while ensuring these guidelines remain equitable to employers.LINK

lil Monkey said:
Well,as a Jordanian I honestly was so disappointed , so were most of the Jordanians here. She did sound down to earth and all and she was nice, but I was so SHOCKED and angry after they showed this 10 mns video recording of three "so-Called" jordanian women!
Those Women do NOT represent Jordanian women, some Jordanian women, have to work their heads off in order to get a few Dinars to HELP support their families...They don't go everyday to the gym to lose Baby fat!! or what did the other women say ummm, "I just look for the American Cereal and buy it for my kids!!", blah blah blah!
The one that pissed me off the most is the women who said " we order once a week from Dominos pizza!).
Some people dun have money to buy bread!!

They showed a couple of pics of where those three women lived, and I tell you at least one of them lives in Abdoun or Swaifieh (which are known to be the highest class areas in Jordan!)

Ah come on for God's sake!! I bet the whole world knows Jordan isn't a rich country and those women (who were showed in Oprah), do not represent 20% of the population!
So why all that?

It's fine showing how such people live, and that there are very open minded and high class people in Jordan, but at least they should have shown the other half of the story, the poor people or even the refugee camps!

I would be even more shocked if QR knew about this short "reportage" and let them show it. I really hope she didn't!

Anyway,
It was nice seeing the Queen, she sounded down to earth, if only they didn't show this silly reportage!

I haven't seen the show, we don't get Oprah here and if we do it's not at a time when it's convenient for me to watch, so as I haven't seen the show yet, I can't really comment.

I do think it's a shame though, if as you've pointed out they weren't balanced. Whilst it's important for people to understand that there are people who live lives that are similar to those in the West it's also important theat they show both sides of the story. It's no secret that Jordan has millions of poor people so not including them, if there was a segment on everyday Jordanian woman, was a bad decision imo.

Amman, May. 17, (BNA) Jordanian Monarch, King Abdulla II, held talks today with Iranian Foreign Minister, Manuchehr Motaki, on bilateral relations and the latest regional developments.
LINK

looking at oprah's webpage i found this transcript of an interview with rania. i'm not sure if this is what she said this last time she visited her, but i think she still sounds very clever and down to earth and demonstrates her wish to show what the jordanians are like, in a clear and easy way for americans, a totally different culture who may have misconceptions about the country she is queen of. it's worth a look: http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/tows_past_20011005_d.jhtml

in which other show was rania at some time ago, when she took little prince hashem with her? was it in oprah's show as well?

btw, thank you amira for those great screenshots!

Queen Rania on Oprah

Here are some pictures of Queen Rania on the Oprah show:

rania4.jpg
rania3.jpg

rania2.jpg
rania1.jpg

(images care of The Oprah Show)

Last edited:
You're welcome Carlota , Salwa and Houri...my pleasure :)

Last edited:
Amira said:
I just finished watching the Oprah show ...the queens looked beautiful as usual :) here are some pictures from the show ( by me , i mean my camera ):D

thanks Amira for sharing!!

I can understand why Jordanians would dislike the short movie clip because it is unrepresentative of Jordan, but as a Westerner I would like to give my opinion on how I saw the clip.
I thought the clip was brilliant in showing that islam is compatible with everyday life. Both the veiled lady and the stay at home mother of three gave an excellent impression of islam and how it does not oppress women but gives their life a spiritual meaning while allowing them to be modern and empowered. For the exception of the 'fashion' lady, i did not think the other two ladies gave the impression of being american or western, just modern, which is very different.
I also agree it would be nice to present women who benefitted from the Jordan River foundation, but I don't think that was the purpose of this clip. I can understand it is not representative of all Jordanian women, but the clip specifically mentioned they are presenting women from Amman. I visited Jordan once, and I did get the impression that women in the capital lead similar lives to those shown on the video. But of course one visit can be deceptive.
I am sorry for rambling, but I thought it was important to point out, as a person living in the West, that the show gave an excellent impression of Islam and modernity, and i think that is very important for the world today. After all, the episode is mainly aimed at an american audience, not a Jordanian audience.

This whole episode of Oprah was farcical and totally geared to what the West needs to be shown in order to feel a bit more 'secure'.

The video of the woman was about as representative of the 'average' Jordanian woman as if they had showed Minnie Mouse!! In much the same way that Queen Rania is trying to present herself as the acceptable face of a dictatorship where the King has absolute rule. So far removed from reality it is laugable. I suppose they have to keep America on side in order to ensure that one of their main sources of income isn't cut off.

If Abdullah wanted to outlaw and punish 'honour killings' he could do so at a stroke, he could repeal the crackdowns on a free and democratic press and stop sending people to prison for legitimate criticism of his regime. He could stop his police from torturing people in secret prisons etc etc. I could go on ad nauseum.

When will people stop swallowing the hype hook, line and sinker and actualy start to look at the reality of what goes on in Jordan.

Rania isn't as bad as her husband, although she is Marie - Antoinette in the Middle East (yes other Princesses have luxurious lifestyles to but they usually have the oil wealth to pay for it!!!) but the hypocritical talk of human rights and democracy and 'tolerance' is just totally laughable.

How 'tolerant' is KA to journalists who criticize him? Where are the human rights of those being murdered in cold blood for being raped?

What a joke!

The Oprah Show was a total bore for me - I've read interviews of Rania before, and basically she says the same thing in either exactly the same way or with a few change of words. The thing is that both Rania and Abdullah are very good with catch-phrases (i.e. "Poverty is a she" and Acceptance and tolerance are necessary...) which makes for good news articles and TV shows but doesn't actually accomplish anything in reality.

I used to find Rania's interviews very interesting but the repetitiveness is too much. I can almost predict now what she'll say in response to what questions. Of course, some of the problem lies with the interviewers who generally ask the same type of questions but the problem also lies with Rania, who is, in my opinion, one-dimensional.

Totally agree Madonna23. One has to ask where the 'real' progress has been made in the 7 years they have been in charge? If anything people are more repressed than under King Hussein.

How much have Abdullah and Rania actually achieved and i am not tlking about sitting on one's butt in a convention centre or 5 star hotel, eating amuse-bouche and 'gassing' about how awful it is for poor people. They rattle on about the same old stuff because they haven't solved anything or done anything of substance in their time on the throne.

She should stick to what she does best , standing around wearing couture whilst the despot she married rides on the backs of his people!

madonna23 said:
I used to find Rania's interviews very interesting but the repetitiveness is too much. I can almost predict now what she'll say in response to what questions. Of course, some of the problem lies with the interviewers who generally ask the same type of questions but the problem also lies with Rania, who is, in my opinion, one-dimensional.

One doesn't have to be smart to understund that there's nothing impressing about what QR is doing,ALL it's a question of a media play ,and YES,the repetitiveness of what she always says,shows that she's only briefed and repeat always the same things...,and what others want to hear,there's no substance of her interviews and works,and time is showing that it is only a lot of fuss for nothing.....

All style and absolutely no substance - that is Rania's problem.

lizz70 said:
Totally agree Madonna23. One has to ask where the 'real' progress has been made in the 7 years they have been in charge? If anything people are more repressed than under King Hussein.

How much have Abdullah and Rania actually achieved and i am not tlking about sitting on one's butt in a convention centre or 5 star hotel, eating amuse-bouche and 'gassing' about how awful it is for poor people. They rattle on about the same old stuff because they haven't solved anything or done anything of substance in their time on the throne.

She should stick to what she does best , standing around wearing couture whilst the despot she married rides on the backs of his people!

Actually, all polls indicate that Jordanians themselves believe there is more freedom now in Jordan than there ever was before. For example, a study on the perceptions of democracy among Jordanians, conducted by a research centre at Jordan University, (http://www.css-jordan.org/polls/democracy/DemocracyPoll2005-en.pdf) shows that Jordanians feel they are more free to participate in demonstrations and sit-ins, and to voice their opinion than ever before. Jordania''s views of press freedom are still the same as in 1996, so there is no change there, but for the first time under King Abdullah's leadership there is a Jordanian newspaper that is independent. In the past all newspapers had to be partially or fully owned by government. Also, the first independent Jordanian TV channel is due to launch this summer. Baby steps, but it seems in the right direction.

I agree though about the apparent expenditure of the Queen and King. Certainly they rule a developing country and should keep that in mind.

Monalisa said:
One doesn't have to be smart to understund that there's nothing impressing about what QR is doing,ALL it's a question of a media play ,and YES,the repetitiveness of what she always says,shows that she's only briefed and repeat always the same things...,and what others want to hear,there's no substance of her interviews and works,and time is showing that it is only a lot of fuss for nothing.....
I don't see Queen Rania anymore unique that the same repetitive speeches and useless lines our own political figure heads of the so-called greatest democracy state whenever a microphone is thrusted upon them. She is no different than President Bush, PM Blair or Harper, all trained to repeat what's written by the 10s of speech writers on their payrole, paid I might add by the tax payers. The only difference I can see under the leadership of King Abdullah and his wife is that he's actually improving the economy of his own country, despite the lack of natural resources in Jordan. In fact, through his skillful diplomacy, he managed to bring much more investment and social changes for the people. Jordan like the rest of the middle east faces the problem of balancing out the old traditional and patriarchal society with the new and much more western educated youth. Atlease, Abdullah and Rania are practicing their currency of despotic power by making it better for Jordanians, if such a thing can be possible in the long run.

PS. On the matter of honor killing (can't see what's honorable about murder) its practiced by the native Jordanian tribes who happen to be 25% of the country and most loyal to the monarchy, while the rest of the 75% are Palestinians and not the most loyal due to the history they have with King Hussein. To outlaw such murder wil not change anything, what need to take place is cultural revolution and that takes long committment and familiarity. How could some tribal council listen to a woman that doesn't dress according to their standard, but wears latest designer fashion? They are likely to listen to the King and other princesses than the present queen.

Last edited:
BlackBeauty, while I do not know for sure, the poll you mentioned about democracy in Jordan was flawed because another report found that most Jordanians are afraid to tell their real opinions in national polls. I don't know what most Jordanians feel - and they may very well think government is improving - but I don't think the poll can be used as an accurate reflection of Jordanian opinion.

madonna23 said:
BlackBeauty, while I do not know for sure, the poll you mentioned about democracy in Jordan was flawed because another report found that most Jordanians are afraid to tell their real opinions in national polls. I don't know what most Jordanians feel - and they may very well think government is improving - but I don't think the poll can be used as an accurate reflection of Jordanian opinion.

I am sure your right... they do say that there r three kinds of lies in this world, white lies, goddamn lies and statistics :p but i do feel that some of the accusations against the Jordanian royal family are very cuuning and unjustified. But then I have only been to Jordan once, as a tourist, so I can not judge. However,while i was in Jordan, spekaing to the local people, I felt there was a lot of hope and optimism for the future :)

I guess QR needs some decent staff and assistants, they just don't seem to tell her the truth , even if QR thinks she knows how things really are, I guess her staff will probably hide a few things away from her..

lil Monkey said:
I guess QR needs some decent staff and assistants, they just don't seem to tell her the truth , even if QR thinks she knows how things really are, I guess her staff will probably hide a few things away from her..

I don't think this is a reliable excuse,she was not always a royal,and that would help her not to live in a bull nad to have a facke perception of reality....

Last edited:
I agree, but still I guess good decent staff would at least help a little bit, if u know what I mean ;)

madonna23 said:

Totally what I was thinking about.

That poll was realised by "A Jordanian state university",which is obviously not a reliable source to reflect the true opinion of the jordanians,everybody knows that in dictatorships,people would be affraid to say their true opionions about their rulers as they "DICTATORS"....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the true face of democracy and freedom of speech since 1999:

After September 11, 2001, the government amended the Penal Code and regressed 1999 amendments to the Press and Publications Act, which had reduced the historical restrictions on press freedom.</SPAN>[9] Article 150 threatens with prison anyone who publishes "a story, speech or act in any way that offends national unity, stirs people to commit crimes, implants hatred among members of society, instigates sectarianism and racism, insults the dignity and personal freedoms of individuals, promotes fabricated rumors, incites others to riot, sit-in or organize public gatherings that violate the laws of the country." According to the US Department of State, Jordanian journalists allege that the Jordanian government uses informants and censors at printing presses to inform the government if particularly objectionable material is slated for print in the news media. In 2003 the government routinely used detention and prosecution or the threat of prosecution to intimidate journalists into self-censorship.</SPAN>[10]Emergency regulations also abridge freedom of speech by permitting martial law authorities and the secret police to arrest persons suspected of security offenses and to detain them without trial or access to legal counsel for indefinite periods. The emergency regulations authorize the government to censor the press and other publications, ban political parties, and restrict the rights of citizens to assemble for political meetings and peaceful demonstrations. Martial law has frequently been invoked in Jordan, sometimes for decades at a time.</SPAN>
The government limits academic freedom. Student activism is carefully controlled through restrictions on political organizations, demonstrations, and meetings. Jordanian students studying overseas are subject to strict passport controls and students must obtain a good behavior certificate from the secret police in order to qualify for admission under the university quota system. Human rights groups report that these certificates are sometimes withheld from deserving students due to a family member's allegedly problematic record.</SPAN>
According to the Brussels-based International Confederation of Free Trade Unions (ICFTU), Jordan's one million foreign workers have been prohibited from joining trade unions and engaging in collective bargaining or strikes, and domestic and agricultural workers have been excluded from protection under the Labor Code.[11]
The government imposes some limits on freedom of religion and notes individuals' religious affiliation (except for Druze and Baha'is, and other unrecognized religions) on the national identity card and in the "family book" (a national registration record that is issued to the head of every family and that serves as proof of citizenship) of all citizens. Atheists must associate themselves with a recognized religion for official identification purposes.

There are some restrictions on freedom of movement. On August 28, 2001 the government enacted a temporary law limiting the right of assembly, stating that organizers of public assemblies must obtain the written approval of the provincial governor at least 24 hours before the event is to take place; any assembly contrary to the law will be deemed illegal and violators will be subject to prison terms or fines.

Source:privacy International&Human rights 2004 Report

http://www.privacyinternational.org/article.shtml?cmd[347]=x-347-83799#_ftnref9

So when that poll talks about more freedom,i don't from where they got it!!,you can go and so on to see all the report,what I posted was only a very few part of it.

Last edited:
lil Monkey said:
I agree, but still I guess good decent staff would at least help a little bit, if u know what I mean ;)

I see your point,but what would do the "staff" if the power in place doesn't want to hear anything and to change really things,instead of media propaganda,didn't king Abdallah say?! "Jordan is not yet ready for democracy"-I will look for the article where this was quoted-So mostey I think it's that KA&QR don't want to change things really,and they have all the power to do...

Last edited:
BlackBeauty said:
I am sure your right... they do say that there r three kinds of lies in this world, white lies, goddamn lies and statistics :p but i do feel that some of the accusations against the Jordanian royal family are very cuuning and unjustified. But then I have only been to Jordan once, as a tourist, so I can not judge. However,while i was in Jordan, spekaing to the local people, I felt there was a lot of hope and optimism for the future :)

Black Beauty you aren't the only one to have spent time in Jordan or spoken to Jordanians - why don't you start talking about the phone tapping, mukhabarat activities etc etc that make Jordan a police state?????

Abdullah spends a lot of time whizzing around with a begging bowl but many Jordanians are getting progresively poorer under Abdullah comparatively.

Jordanians don't have free speech or they would end up in jail!

Monalisa said:

On the one hand it could be considered smart that that Rania (and her husband) simply repeat the same lines or policies over and over again the last several years. In my media studies it has been shown that if you just repeat the a simple message over and over again no matter what the question it is more memorable because people are being bombarded with so much information that they're more likely to remember something that has been said more than once and one idea that is simple.

However with Abdullah and Rania the one message (equality, democracy, education) that has been uttered over and over by the two of them since they ascended to the throne as they visit various nations in the Middle East and in the West, as they appear on shows like Oprah or on NBC or CNN, isn't backed up by any substance. Basically they are talking the talk but not walking the walk.

It's perfectly fine to appear on Oprah and talk about education for young girls so that they can become equal partners as women but where is the planning and educational initiative that makes this happen?

A perfect example of this is on the very same Oprah episode. At the end singer Sarah McLaughlan appeared on the show to sing her song World on Fire. She also had a music video that she spent $15 on. A typical music video costs $150,000 (or something like that), and instead she put that money to various programs and iniatives to make the world a better place and in her video she explained where the money went: X amount to buying books for X number of kids in Afghanistant, X amount to microcredit loans for women in small tribes to start their own business and so forth.

It made me think that if Rania would only refrain from buying one Prada bag or one Valentino gown, how many people that could help in Jordan.

As they called themselves:rolleyes:the MODERN royal couple!! (From PPE)

Attachments

• PPE JORDAN.jpg
    PPE JORDAN.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
To be honest, we could all sit here all day quoting this study or that study, or these statistics or those statistics either to support or deny what is being stated.

I would accept the finding of outside well reputed organizations such as Human Rights Watch, Amnesty, BBC, before I will accept straw poll findings from a university where they ca be 'got at'.

However, if one looks at things in terms of real progress on the ground, progress that can be measured etc then very little has actually been achieved and I lay this at the feet of the King who has the real power - whatever power Rania has in real terms is negligible in the grand scheme of things. She has been looking like a very unhappy lady in the last few months but she is clever enough to keep herself in the public eye, esp in the West.

Genevieve said:
On the one hand it could be considered smart that that Rania (and her husband) simply repeat the same lines or policies over and over again the last several years. In my media studies it has been shown that if you just repeat the a simple message over and over again no matter what the question it is more memorable because people are being bombarded with so much information that they're more likely to remember something that has been said more than once and one idea that is simple.

However with Abdullah and Rania the one message (equality, democracy, education) that has been uttered over and over by the two of them since they ascended to the throne as they visit various nations in the Middle East and in the West, as they appear on shows like Oprah or on NBC or CNN, isn't backed up by any substance. Basically they are talking the talk but not walking the walk.

It's perfectly fine to appear on Oprah and talk about education for young girls so that they can become equal partners as women but where is the planning and educational initiative that makes this happen?

A perfect example of this is on the very same Oprah episode. At the end singer Sarah McLaughlan appeared on the show to sing her song World on Fire. She also had a music video that she spent $15 on. A typical music video costs $150,000 (or something like that), and instead she put that money to various programs and iniatives to make the world a better place and in her video she explained where the money went: X amount to buying books for X number of kids in Afghanistant, X amount to microcredit loans for women in small tribes to start their own business and so forth.

It made me think that if Rania would only refrain from buying one Prada bag or one Valentino gown, how many people that could help in Jordan.

Precisely Genevieve!

Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's Minister of Propaganda is very famous for saying

'If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it'

This constant repetition and attending of 'conferences/forums/councils' where all anyone ever does is talk, the jetting off round theworld to pick up tinny little medals and honours - what does it achieve? They just talk about modernisation and lifting Jordan out of poverty - what a shame they don't put their money where their mouth is. I am quite sure Rania could do with a few less clothes and jewels.

Last edited:
Lamyah said:
PS. On the matter of honor killing (can't see what's honorable about murder) its practiced by the native Jordanian tribes who happen to be 25% of the country and most loyal to the monarchy, while the rest of the 75% are Palestinians and not the most loyal due to the history they have with King Hussein. To outlaw such murder wil not change anything, what need to take place is cultural revolution and that takes long committment and familiarity. How could some tribal council listen to a woman that doesn't dress according to their standard, but wears latest designer fashion? They are likely to listen to the King and other princesses than the present queen.

I agree, Pakistan currently has had alot of problems with honour killings, attempts in the past to outlaw them have been overturned, although in 2005 Musharraf did sign a bill that made honour killings an act punishable by death. Merely passing a law isn't going to change anything, it's attitudes that need to change and until the misogynistic ideas that have prevailed in some aspects of muslim society have been eradicated honour killings will always continue.
After all, laws are useless unless they are enfoced and in many countries whre honour killings take place, even the police stand by and do nothing. They simply don't care, and often side with the murderers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom