The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 5: October 2011 - December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This dress coasts Ł175, Kate wore old-fashioned frock 10 times more expensive. Other princesses has a lot of designers outfits but they're working much more than Kate.

Are you kidding - to me it looks like a leftover of some of the shiny outfits Princess Margret used to wear, what else can I say.

Although I understand and even appreciate the way Catherine dresses, I agree with Duke of Marmalade - this green dress really could have seen the light after many years of beeing stored in one of Princess Margareth's old trunks.

Yes, but I haven't heard Maxima or M-M or any other royal woman who constantly says she and her husband are "normal", then turns up in a BPS2,200 rag.

Also, Kate is not a CP. If that title is used, it is Camilla's.

There are European princesses other than the Crown Princesses. For instance, Beatriz and Eugenie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but I haven't heard Maxima or M-M or any other royal woman who constantly says she and her husband are "normal", then turns up in a BPS2,200 rag.
Are you sure you have heard Kate make that comment, or is this something the tabloids have put out?

This dress coasts Ł175, Kate wore old-fashioned frock 10 times more expensive. Other princesses has a lot of designers outfits but they're working much more than Kate.

The Mulberry dress is a similar concept to the LK Bennett dress - the brands are positioned quite differently, and hence the difference in price.

Is your issue with the style of the dress, or its price?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't post a source, but the source is somewhere on this board.

Its very easy for us to confuse what one may read on TRF or a tabloid and what might be a statement of fact. Given how little members of the BRF say to the press, I would be surprised that this is something Kate has herself said to the Press.

Are you kidding - to me it looks like a leftover of some of the shiny outfits Princess Margret used to wear, what else can I say.
:lol::lol::lol: You hit the nail right on the head :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can't believe how some beautiful young women like Kate and Charlene can put on clothes that could belong to their great grandmother (Charlene's dress at National day at the opera) :whistling:

:lol::lol::lol: You hit the nail right on the head :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can't believe how some beautiful young women like Kate and Charlene can put on clothes that could belong to their great grandmother (Charlene's dress at National day at the opera) :whistling:

Given that this is such an old style that was worn frequently by our mothers and grandmothers back in the day, and the simplicity of it...I find it really hard to believe that there is $2200 worth of so called "designer brainpower or workmanship" in that dress. My opinion, makes her look old and dowdy. She looks dowdier than older members of the royal family. I don't care how on trend it is.

The Mulberry dress is a similar concept to the LK Bennett dress - the brands are positioned quite differently, and hence the difference in price.

Is your issue with the style of the dress, or its price?
More with price, it's just ridiculously expensive dress. I know sometimes things are overpriced but it's just unbelievable. I would forgive Kate to spend money on some classic piece like coats, bags, suits. But this dress in will totally forgotten in few months, unless she will be like P Anne and will wear it at her child's wedding or grandchildren's christening.

Last edited:
Considering that Kate has shown that she will rewear a dress from five years ago, I think we can assume that we might see the dress again. So if she wears it five times thats how much per appearance? That about works itself out.

And honestly, I don't get the Kate is buying too many clothes. Who didn't know this was goin to happen? Her life style as Kate Middleton and the Duchess of Cambridge are VASTLY different. One assumes that in 2012 she will be undertaking more public engagements and will need an extensive wardrobe. She already wears things more than once. In fact, I can't think of any lady in the BRF (past or present) who didn't have an extensive wardrobe that they constantly pulled things out from.

Anne is just the best known IMO. I mean, heck, wearing the dress you wore to your brothers 1981 wedding thirty years later? I am jealous that she could still fit it!

ETA: In regards to the normal quote...I believe its the idea that William and Catherine aren't full time royals as of yet, and I have heard them say that they would like to live as normal as life as possible. Key word as possible. I didn't add as possible, I recall someone saying that. They know they are not normal but they would like to do some things that many of us take for granted.

Last edited:
This is clearly a difficult call because at the end of the day if someone is prepared to pay such a price for such a dress then the label is always going to design and sell such dresses at such prices. Maybe she'll pass it on to the Princess Royal?! Maybe she looks to Anne for style advice?! LOL!!!
Who knows, if the style becomes popular, it may be all that's available to buy for a couple of years!

A few months back, I seem to remember another dress she wore one evening that I described as being Krystal Carrington Pink. There must be some quirk of Catherine's nature that makes her like the style.

And honestly, I don't get the Kate is buying too many clothes. Who didn't know this was goin to happen? Her life style as Kate Middleton and the Duchess of Cambridge are VASTLY different. One assumes that in 2012 she will be undertaking more public engagements and will need an extensive wardrobe. She already wears things more than once. In fact, I can't think of any lady in the BRF (past or present) who didn't have an extensive wardrobe that they constantly pulled things out from.

Many forget that as her new role she will need a different wardrobe for official events, one she did not have before becoming the Duchess.

This is clearly a difficult call because at the end of the day if someone is prepared to pay such a price for such a dress then the label is always going to design and sell such dresses at such prices. Maybe she'll pass it on to the Princess Royal?! Maybe she looks to Anne for style advice?! LOL!!!
Who knows, if the style becomes popular, it may be all that's available to buy for a couple of years!

A few months back, I seem to remember another dress she wore one evening that I described as being Krystal Carrington Pink. There must be some quirk of Catherine's nature that makes her like the style.

Do you think Kate is being used to sell slow moving items?

Since when is there an obligation to feed poor people rather than buy a dress? I'm always surprised to see people decide for others what "too much money is." I'm certain that whatever each of us is paying for internet access would feed a child in Sierra Leone for a month or more.

You are so right, Princess Kaimi!
I remember during the Charles/Diana wedding, a female reporter was talking about it, and her male colleague sneered that the money could be better spent to help world hunger, etc.
And she told him he was so right- and so could all the money spent on the Superbowl, which costs a lot more! That put him in his place very quickly! :lol:

But really I don't see how anyone could fault Kate about recycling her clothes, she's wearing lots of things we've seen before.

Not a fan of the dress.

Not sure what various people mean by "style." If it's not to your taste, that's fine. But to imply the Duchess doesn't have style is odd, to me. She displays a distinctive way of dressing (style) with virtually no flash, and hardly any "look at me" factor, it's modest, understated. She doesn't seem to have pet designers or themes - to me, that's a plus.

She dresses the way many working women dress, and without attempting to show others up or show herself off. Sure, she could hire a stylist (cost even more money), but the more i see of her, the more i'm sure she is comfortable in her clothes - which is crucial to truly looking stylish.

Would I emulate her? No - and that's a good thing! My life is rather different in almost every way (different climate, different job, different age, different tastes).

PrincessKaimi said:
Not sure what various people mean by "style." If it's not to your taste, that's fine. But to imply the Duchess doesn't have style is odd, to me. She displays a distinctive way of dressing (style) with virtually no flash, and hardly any "look at me" factor, it's modest, understated. She doesn't seem to have pet designers or themes - to me, that's a plus.

She dresses the way many working women dress, and without attempting to show others up or show herself off. Sure, she could hire a stylist (cost even more money), but the more i see of her, the more i'm sure she is comfortable in her clothes - which is crucial to truly looking stylish.

Would I emulate her? No - and that's a good thing! My life is rather different in almost every way (different climate, different job, different age, different tastes).

An excellent post PrincessKaimi. I whole heartedly agree.

Firstly, love it or hate it, Catherine certainly has an emerging "style". Personally I am not a fan as I think the style she favours is too linear and featureless. It lacks flair and originality to the degree that basically, she could merge with the wallpaper!

Absolutely not my style, but it is hers and the second point that is constantly being raised is cost. Catherine is a "starter" royal wife and as such has a need for multiple day dresses and suits rather that the considerably less than most of us would need or require. That she spends good money on what many think is stodgy and boring is beside the point. We have certain expectations from our royals and I don't think Catherine quite "gets" that yet.

I personally do not want to see her wearing something that I can afford to wear. I am a snob and I want to see her wearing the sort of terrific clothes that I would love to wear. Clothes that flatter her and showcase British or even Commonwealth fashion (and yes I would love for her to wear some really gorgeous European numbers).

Mostly I want to see her looking like a Duchess and not a housewife!

Well, I suppose it depends on how the system works: do designers simply send her things to try before she buys; do they give her dresses as a thank you for previous purchases or does she simply look on-line/visit the shops and choose solely for herself? In the first instance, they could send her a dress and she may feel obliged to wear it but she should be prudent enough to send such items back on the understanding that she cannot accept freebies.
An alternative is that designers these days have run out of ideas, simply recreate ghastly fashions from years ago and hope for the best that someone like Catherine will buy them, wear them and boost sales.

With regard to cost, I was thinking last night what proportion of someone's income might be spent on clothes. Someone rich could easily spend a couple of grand on one dress, yet it might equate to a small percentage of their monthly income. Someone less well-off might only spent £50, yet may well be spending a higher percentage of their income. Not sure if that helps anyone understand how so much could be spent on a single item.

I'd be very surprised if that were the case. I doubt she's taking designer freebies, and I'm sure she's even being careful about taking big discounts. The palace has been remarkably careful about how they've introduced her to her role- they've seen how ugly it can get, and this time around they've anticipated intense media scrutiny, which they were unprepared for in the days of Diana and Sarah Ferguson.

I'm sure she picks things she likes, and that she feels comfortable in. And I actually saw some commentary that her dress was a bit of a sly joke at the reporters present, with its "Peace and Love" theme :flowers:

The source is everywhere out there, lots of claims of being "normal" (no servants, doing shopping themselves, husband & wife life, not wanting a big wedding if they had had it their way etc etc) partly confirmed by the royal house (the servants part), yet the clothing bill, hairdresser bill or kind of vacation they have doesnt really fit in.

Back to fashion - completely agree with agami.pearl and Lmarch.

Its ok to build a classic wardrobe for many years to come and the items can well be expensive (coats, gala dresses). But why a dowdy and frumpy bilious green fashion - not classic - dress has to cost a fortune for everyone to see in such times is beyond me.

Well, I suppose it depends on how the system works: do designers simply send her things to try before she buys; do they give her dresses as a thank you for previous purchases or does she simply look on-line/visit the shops and choose solely for herself? In the first instance, they could send her a dress and she may feel obliged to wear it but she should be prudent enough to send such items back on the understanding that she cannot accept freebies.
An alternative is that designers these days have run out of ideas, simply recreate ghastly fashions from years ago and hope for the best that someone like Catherine will buy them, wear them and boost sales.

With regard to cost, I was thinking last night what proportion of someone's income might be spent on clothes. Someone rich could easily spend a couple of grand on one dress, yet it might equate to a small percentage of their monthly income. Someone less well-off might only spent £50, yet may well be spending a higher percentage of their income. Not sure if that helps anyone understand how so much could be spent on a single item.

My understanding from somebody in the know in the fashion world is that designers do from time to time send items of clothing / accessories to SJP. If Catherine likes any of them, she keeps them, the others are returned with a thank you note. The items kept are pais for by the office. She does not accept any freebies at all.

Last edited:
IMO instead spending money on matronly dress she should hire make-up artist, maybe it would be the end of horrid make-up.

There is so much discussion about how terrible Catherine looked but are there any full length pictures of her? All I can find are head and shoulder shots.

They never said they were normal, not even by the palace. All the said was that they wouldn't have full time servants while the were in Wales. Nothing was ever said about servants when in London. The only place were normal came up was the newspaper that proclaimed that the no servant meant they were modern and normal. And as usual they gave credit to Diana.

There is so much discussion about how terrible Catherine looked but are there any full length pictures of her? All I can find are head and shoulder shots.

No, we got full length pictures of everyone except for William and Catherine

They never said they were normal, not even by the palace. All the said was that they wouldn't have full time servants while the were in Wales. Nothing was ever said about servants when in London. The only place were normal came up was the newspaper that proclaimed that the no servant meant they were modern and normal. And as usual they gave credit to Diana.

I agree with you.

However, a few posts or stories in the tabloids can end up picking up a life of their own, and often get restated as statements of fact (which they clearly are not). What is even more amusing is when posters are aggrieved as members of the BRF do not follow these "facts" in real life. :lol:

Of course Will and Kate are normal! They only have full-time servants in one household as opposed to two!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom