Crown Prince Frederik, Current Events 1: November 2002 - October 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies,

can we get back to the subject at hand ?????

... it turns out that the Crown Prince was "mis-quoted" by his famous uncle.

And his famous uncle made a frenchified BOTCH of things !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies .... if I might propose the 'honey' approach and solicit your opinions, on providing comments pertaining to the following topics:

1.) Is Etienne de Monpezat in the "doghouse" wit 'ees brother, za Prince Consort ?
2.) Is HRH The Prince Consort in za doghouse with 'ees wife ?
3.) How long will Monsieur Etienne de Monpezat be pigeon-'oled in za "eat wit da servants" when 'ee is visiting zat dank 'otel called Copenhagen ?
4.) How long will it be, before Monsieur 'osts 'ees brother and 'ees brother's wife ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Translation by Babelfish:

Mary, by what were you struck, at the time of your first stay in Denmark? M.D.: By the beauty of the landscapes, the acceuil too. I was made very sure friends very quickly and friends. I appreciated the human heat of the Danes, their humour, in any case for those which I met. And then water, everywhere. Later, finally, snow. I had the impression to live a fairy tale... I speak about the decoration.

Nothing negative? M.D.: The Danes are undoubtedly a little slow. And the winter here can appear too long sometimes.

And qualities of prince Frederik? M.D.: It is very intelligent, very nice, and of a great softness. It appears also very funny in the life of tous.les.jours.

Prince Frederik, whom do you love more at Mary Donaldson? F of D.: Its pace, its elegance... Its frankness also and the fact quee, from the very start, we could exchange things so much, including sometimes dissensions...

According to you, which is the secrecy of a couple to succeed? F of D.: Am I qualified to answer? I think that essence is precisely to have faculty and the desire to exceed the dissensions and the misunderstandings... To forgive, for better going from the front one.

Mary, how did you succeed in being so discrete? M.D.: I believe that it is my nature. I acted according to my heart, without me to trouble about the judgement of others. Of course, our decision was sometimes a long ' voyage '. But since you are sure you, that you the glance of the others imports?

How you react, when one evokes on your subject a tale of fées?M.D.: Objectively, when I try to look at the thing of outside, my history concerns obviously impossible, or rather the unreal one. Very often, I test the strange feeling which it is not a question of me. But isn't any history of love a fairy tale?

You had to lean you on the history of Denmark. Sovereign does it inspire to you more than another? M.D.: I like much the History and I read a number of historical novels but I do not have enough knowledge yet to make my choice. Currently, I devote myself to the study of two very large kings, Christian IV and Christian IX, the ' grandfather of Europe '. But in any event, it is not in my character to seek to imitate a character, if large he were.

You have the reputation to be very sporting... M.D.: Like my father. At the school, I liked the tennis shoe, the cricket, the horsemanship which also corresponds to a tradition in Australia. Today, I continue: complete contest, raising, and one of my happinesses here precisely consists in riding a horse with Frederik, in the forest.

You like also Rugby? M.D.: Of course, my father played there and I even regret being able to follow the World cup, because of the difficult schedules and because the Danes know nothing there.

Monseigneur, will you keep an activity until your marriage? F of D.: I will continue to give courses of international relations, to what corresponds to your School of war. A subject which always impassioned me and where the experiment counts finally more than the theory. When I worked in the United States, I was much younger and very admiring this country - his enthusiasm, his dynamism, his vitality. And then, in contact with other countries, France in particular, I moderated my position, after having realized that the Americans had the defects of their qualities: with force to be direct, they become about it sometimes too simple, simplistic same. My experiment with the embassy from Denmark in Paris proved very enriching. My colleagues of the Quay of Orsay were formidable with me and I discovered subtleties of the diplomacy: initially the precise analysis of the situations and refinements of the French language which make it possible to hold head without anything to yield, while speaking. I found that attractive.

A kind of privilege? F of D.: Perhaps. Still is necessary it to be wary. The abuse the privileges, you know it in France with the Revolution, can lead to sufficiency, the last step before the insufficiency.

But I suppose that the love will disturb your work until May. I am mistaken? F of D.: Completely. The love is not the opposite of the life. It is the life. It it magnifie, it explodes it, it opens out it.... Remarks collected by Etienne de Monpezat/G World

:eek:rder: I am inclined to agree with King Christian on this one and let's re-adjust our focus back to the interview at hand and CP Frederik and Mary Donaldson's comments and the interview conducted by CP Frederik's uncle. If any of you would like to discuss your views of the United States and Americans or other nations and their personality traits, I welcome all of you to through PM'ing or e-mailing each other.

Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 19th, 2003 - 3:05 pm
Ladies .... if I might propose the 'honey' approach and solicit your opinions, on providing comments pertaining to the following topics:

This little botch was a little too obvious. Therefore, in answer to your questions, I declare:

1.) Is Etienne de Monpezat in the "doghouse" wit 'ees brother, za Prince Consort ?
No not at all. What would make you assume that?

2.) Is HRH The Prince Consort in za doghouse with 'ees wife ?

Probably so.

3.) How long will Monsieur Etienne de Monpezat be pigeon-'oled in za "eat wit da servants" when 'ee is visiting zat dank 'otel called Copenhagen ?

About as long as it takes you to blink. Prince Henrik may only be Prince Consort, but he is undoubtedly king of his castle.

4.) How long will it be, before Monsieur 'osts 'ees brother and 'ees brother's wife ?

Vacations as usual.

thissal  Posted: Oct 19th, 2003 - 6:34 pm

This little botch was a little too obvious.
How so ?

....oops, should have reversed questions 1 and 2.

Therefore, in answer to your questions, I declare:
1.) No not at all. What would make you assume that?
For letting family down ?

3.) About as long as it takes you to blink. Prince Henrik may only be Prince Consort, but he is undoubtedly king of his castle.
yeah .. sure !!!!

4.) Vacations as usual.

You are probably right there .... a tempest in a teapot.

... it turns out that the Crown Prince was "mis-quoted" by his famous uncle.
And you believe this is mis-quoted base on what? An uncle's aplology. Just to tell you how simplified you have been. My guess is that it has been said, not mis-quoted, but as a personal opinion, not to be published. So Fred is entitled to his opinions, but just have to watch out whom he opens his mouths to.

Originally posted by lori@Oct 19th, 2003 - 4:27 pm
So Fred is entitled to his opinions, but just have to watch out whom he opens his mouths to.
You're probably right, but it's such a shame Fred and Mary would have to watch what they say to their own family.

What are the logical assumptions from this little fox paw?

1) CP Frederik's uncle Etienne de Monpezat is very stupid. Since he has been a rather close relative of the royal family for many years, this article would make him extremely stupid. I find that highly unlikely as a valid assumption.

2) Mary and CP Frederik made these remarks for publication, so that makes them extremely stupid and insensitive too. This I also find highly unlikely as an assumption.

3) CP Frederik and Mary have declared open war on the Danish and American people. Maybe they have been reading these message boards, and now they have vengeance on the brain. This is unlikely too, at least this soon, I would assume.

So what assumptions are left?

4) Etienne de Monpezat published "the interview" with deliberate forethought, probably taking things said in private and meant to remain private.

I think it is safe to assume there is some serious dysfunction in the Danish royal family, at the very least, there is hostility from the uncle towards Fred and Mary. B)

“In order to be direct, they are often simple, for not to mention one-sided”, said the Danish Crown Prince when talking about the Americans.

Etienne de Monpezat, the Crown Prince’s uncle, got an exclusive for the French magazine Piont de Vue to interview the Crown Prince and his fiancée Mary Donaldson at the Fredensborg Castle.

Crown Prince Fredrik explained during the interview that when he as a young man worked in the United States, he admired the country for its drive, dynamics, and vitality, but after been in contact with other counties he changed his view.

“Simple and one-sided”

“I have gotten a more nuanced view after I realized that there is something wrong with Americans’ qualities. In order to be direct, they often become simple, not to mention one-sided,” Fredrik said to the French magazine.

The controversial comment was made in connection with questions about what the Crown Prince was going to do until the wedding. Fredrik, who is an expert on international relations, said he would continue to teach courses on the subject. He states that when it comes to international relations experience is better than theory, and as an example he mentioned his view of Americans.

“The Danes are slow”

It was not only the Crown Prince who made surprising statements during the exclusive interview. Australian Mary Donaldson, whose picture covered the entire cover, came with a statement which will probably not be appreciated by her new countrymen. She bluntly claimed that the Danes were slow.

On the question of what hit her the first time she visited Denmark, she nicely mentioned the Danes human warmth, the beautiful landscape, the water and the snow.

“Nothing negative?” Etienne de Monpezat asked.

“The Danes are without a doubt a little slow, and the winter seems really long,” Donaldson answered.

Donaldson is engaged to marry Crown Prince Fredrik this spring, and she will become Denmark’s new queen if everything goes according to plan. [/b]
Thissal, I just emailed you an exclusive from an Aussie newspaper someone
emailed to me. It tells some interesting things. When my wife and I travel,
even if I do not know the language, even a moron can comprehend a sign with a
cross over it: do not park!

it is Mary who is slow to learn. The man told her there is no parking allowed
there in Danish, and she said in English she did not undertsand him. So word
spread over all of the land she did this with her boyfriend's car...while all along
MD speaks Danish!

Not an auspicious way to start the union off...Anyhow...I sent you a private
email-go read it quick. :shock:

Originally posted by Alexandria@Oct 18th, 2003 - 6:46 pm
To think that Frederik and Mary were the sweethearts of Denmark just last week, and now these comments. Mary has probably not endeared herself to those who are not won over by her yet with these comments, and possibly alienated the opinions of Danes to her. But Frederik has certainly not fared any better with his criticisms of Americans - however true I think they might be. But he's in a position in which he must maintain diplomacy.

The "if everything goes according to plan" makes the relationship and eventual marriage seem like it could be on the ropes or something!
[IF] everything goes according to plan...ah huh.

Someone quick- a fly in the ointment!

First, I do not think it was all that bad the "uncle" let this out--
now the people can really know the real MD--so this is a blessing in disguise.

That she can even think this. I have been to Denmark and no, they are
not slow. They are not slow in anything. The life in the city is a different pace
than outerlands. That is the same in the USA. Hawaii is more casual and ie. a three
month escrow is not unusual, it is customary. In the mainlands, NY, CA, TX
everyone wants a 10 day escrow on their properties and everyone is rush here,
rush there, rush rush, hurry up everywhere...

Like the Greeks who take three hour coffee breaks or Italians with long enjoyable
comfortable dinners...this is how it is done a la European contenential style.

So MD is the slow to learn one. She will learn the hard way.

Alexandra by osmosis was quick on the pick up and got with the program!

She has never set a wrong foot from day one. God bless her.

So, the uncle probably does not approve of MD.

I am sure it was said in casual privately and it got published. Now they
backtrack and it was a misquote. Not so.

Notice also a photo that was published of MD who stuck her tongue out.
not a wise thing to do.

Then she is seen in Point De Vue bending over the table displayed of utensels,
which she is bending incorrectly and she ought not to be doing that in any case.
Period.

George  Posted: Oct 20th, 2003 - 1:49 am

Notice also a photo that was published of MD who stuck her tongue out.
not a wise thing to do.

Then she is seen in Point De Vue bending over the table displayed of utensels,
which she is bending incorrectly and she ought not to be doing that in any case.

Too bad you can't show the pictures.

There might be a reasonable explanation for this picture, such as Mary talking about touching dry ice with her tongue as being like..........................

At any rate, I don't like to see so much criticism of Mary based on speculation and projection. Once she has clearly done or said something unconscionable, then is the time for criticism. Of course it's fun to speculate, but it should be done in a more fun manner -- not with so much intensity and conviction.

Attachments

• Marytongue.jpg
    Marytongue.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 226
If Etienne conducted the interview in English why didn't he just write it down in English? Or record it and get someone else with better English skills (which he claims he does not have) to translate it? Even so, the Babblefish translation isn't the best, but if you can read French, it is clear that Mary does state that the Danes are slow, and she doesn't explain love in a very...well lovely fashion, it seems rather informal to her. Merm...I don't know, maybe Etienne should've recorded the interview and sent it along to some fluent English speakers. I admit MD isn't portrayed very well in that interview.

How is Etienne stupid? He made a small mistake but he wouldn't have made a mistake if the CP pair didn't state those words.

moosey60  Posted: Oct 20th, 2003 - 10:30 pm

If Etienne conducted the interview in English why didn't he just write it down in English?
Moosey ... have you never 'eard of the saying, "The English are eccentric and the French are unique"?

'oo 'as a true Frenchman would write the stuff in inglish when da mothertongue is french, the most glorious of all languages?

Or record it and get someone else with better English skills (which he claims he does not have) to translate it?
and therefore admit a shortcoming. Not on your nelly !

How is Etienne stupid? He made a small mistake but he wouldn't have made a mistake if the CP pair didn't state those words.
One forgets .. that in addition to Etienne editing (read truncating words out of his proposed text for submission), there are also editors and higher-ups who 'have to earn their pay'. And what a way to sell the product, to make a juicy text even spicier ...

Mais non! Ah, I did not think of the Big Brothers in the editing office. Hmm...well, eccentric English, eh? Meh... :hardhead:

www.ibl.se - French Library: Comte Etienne of Monpezat interviewing Crown Prince Frederik and his fiancee Mary Donaldson. 10/08/2003.

EXCLUSIVE. Denmark's Crown Prince and his fiancee Mary Elizabeth Donaldson in the Fredensborg Castle. Foto: Gamma / IBL Bildbyrå

www.ibl.se

Attachments

• DK_frederick_mary_engage_540.jpg
    DK_frederick_mary_engage_540.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 266
  • DK_frederick_mary_engage_540a.jpg
    DK_frederick_mary_engage_540a.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 264
I heard that in apparently something called the Billed Bladet, there was an article of Crown Prince Frederik's visit to Tate Modern Museum in London, where he expressed great interest in Oluf Eliasson's art.

After the Tate, he looked at more art in visits to some galleries in the East End of London (not the favoured area of that city).

That evening he dined at an Italian restaurant with four other Danes: a ballet dancer (Johan Kobborg), a choreographer (Kim Bradstrup), a fashion designer (Peter Jensen) and a designer (Marianne Lumholdt). To close out the evening, he attended a charity benefit hosted by Prince Charles at the Royal Albert Hall (I've been there).

And no more pictures to be found of this occasion(s) ... what a shame !!!!!

The Copenhagen Post

23 October

Royal faux pas was result of translation

Royal uncle and roving reporter Etienne de Monpezat has apologised for 'mistranslating' remarks by Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson that sparked a furor

Crown Prince Frederik's paternal uncle has publicly apologised for misquoting the Crown Prince and his Australian-born fiancée, Mary Donaldson, in a leading French weekly. Several domestic media sources reported last week that Prince Frederik's French uncle, journalist Etienne de Monpezat, has issued an unconditional apology for misquoting the couple in an article appearing in the French weekly Point de Vue. Monpezat admitted the remarks might have been construed as politically charged and negative.

Crown Prince Frederik was quoted in the interview, claiming Americans were "simple, high-handed and unnuanced." The article cited Mary Donaldson's description of the Danish people as "a little slow."

"I simply translated their remarks incorrectly, and left them open to misunderstanding and misinterpretation. Neither of them spoke in such negative terms," Monpezat told daily tabloid Ekstra Baldet.

Mary's English description of the Danish people was reported as "quiet, cool and not stressed," which Monpezat misleadingly translated to "slow" in the French text.

Alexandria  Posted: Oct 24th, 2003 - 6:01 pm

www.ibl.se - French Library: Comte Etienne of Monpezat interviewing Crown Prince Frederik and his fiancee Mary Donaldson. 10/08/2003.

EXCLUSIVE. Denmark's Crown Prince and his fiancee Mary Elizabeth Donaldson in the Fredensborg Castle. Foto: Gamma / IBL Bildbyrå

Etienne looks like a likeable type of guy. A teddy-bear .....

I didn't like the interview. Mary who had lived in Australia for a longer time should speak with a fluent English and with proper use of grammars. :(

When she said slow is it referring to how the Danes are when it comes to their mental aspect???

Hi . B)
Guys.
I think that Mary realy said that Danish people are stupid. Come on Frederik's uncle has been a journalist for years I am sure his French and English are perfect.
Well, I think he tried to rebel publishing this interview. But as a related to the royal family , he cannot be objective. Maybe his brother called him. But Frederik's uncle is definetely not a stupid person . Though he admitted making these stupid mistakes.
Another thing a lot of people think that americans are one-sided. There are not. In The USA they don't care who you are. If you work hard you can succeed. They do not have these prejuduce about people. People have a fair start. They don't care if you are a Jew , black or Russian. If you are qualified, you get the job, get paid well. Enjoyment. Or believe me Americans know how to relax and enjoy. They are at least all over Europe. They are a big percentage of all tourists in Europe. In England not everybody has a chance for education, if you do not pass your finales or so. But in USA you have always. I know that there are exceptions but then Why so many people come to America?

America's glorified. All the young misled individuals go to the States, sweat, put their noses to the grindstone yet are met with an obscenely tough immigration program. It's not true that everybody can succeed. It's not true that everybody has equal-rights. People have a way of carrying their prejudices with them into executive offices, etc. There's really no such thing as total equal rights. It's a fact that a white person would get a job over an equally-qualified black/Asian person. It's a proven fact that tall people earn more than short people. Likewise with fat and thin people. This is true in most places.

Yep, I'll have to lose a few puppy pounds then..*pokes belly, starts jiggling* :blush: hehe...heh...

I general I agree with moosey

elektraking    Posted: Oct 30th, 2003 - 5:29 pm

Another thing a lot of people think that americans are one-sided.
They are. They elect - the majority - to be informed only about the news in the narrow area of the country, and know next to nothing of the other countries in the world. And while I am on that subject, the 'world' in the US definition means the lower 48, so you're even biased against Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, Puerto Rico, etc. I digress. Anyway, you can not imagine how demeaning (contemptuous?) it is having to explain to innocent-in the truest sense of the word-citizens of the most powerful country in the world of how biased their view is. And the real irony is, the Mr. Average Yank doesn't care.

In The USA they don't care who you are.
Thank you for your confirmation. :)

If you work hard you can succeed.
But only after you have figured out how to get out of the minimum wage trap.

They do not have these prejuduce about people.
I would say that is slightly biased after 9-11.

People have a fair start.
Can you explain that to me ?

They don't care if you are a Jew, black or Russian.
As long as you contribute to the "bottom line", right ?

If you are qualified, you get the job, get paid well.
I thought everybody was a wage slave?

Enjoyment. Or believe me Americans know how to relax and enjoy.
Tailgate BBQ parties, right?

They are at least all over Europe. They are a big percentage of all tourists in Europe.
That was before 9-11. You haven't heard of all the big airlines in Europe declaring bankruptcy ?

In England not everybody has a chance for education, if you do not pass your finales or so.
That's a new one on me. As far as I know, if you want to upgrade your education, there is a safety net. Better than being bankrupted to the hilt with costly education bills a la US style. But I think I missed your point her ... would it be possible for you to explain what you mean here ?

But in USA you have always.
Yep .. the USA has PO Box degrees.

I know that there are exceptions but then Why so many people come to America?
Because once you're in ... its easy to work under the visible horizon. That's how a lot of Latino's do it ... didn't you hear ... that most of the boom in the southern Midwest is solely dependent on the ultra-low salaries that illegals are willing to work for. Why, even a big shopping company out of R-kansas got caught having janitorial staff that got paid pennies ... you mean you didn't hear about that ?

Could we please stop with the country bashing. Every counrty has good and bad parts. Not everyone from the USA is the way you protray them. Can we just remeber that words do hurt, even if you were not directing them at say the person writing this post. :innocent: Please lets get back on topic. Either way this interview is strange. Something about it just doesn't feel right. I think their words just came out wrong, or taken out of context?

One of the nice things about internet forums is the opportunity to exchange information unfiltered by the media -- controlled by who knows what. If we can't tolerate some mild discussion on particular characteristics of a country's politics, culture, business practices, media habits etc., then we are too fragile to be in any discussion group.

I would like to request the following:

- if you would like to discuss a country, it's people and their way of life that you please do so in a way that will not offend people -- this goes for all countries.

- it is possible to discuss things in a unfiltered environment in a polite way. Just because it's unfiltered doesn't mean that one has to be cynical and offensive.

- again, we encourage open discussion but please remember that words can hurt and that it is really not necessary to get "down and dirty" when engaging in discussion. If you want to hear and see that then tune into FOX news and check-out The O'Reilly Factor.

thissal  Posted: Oct 31st, 2003 - 12:46 pm

If we can't tolerate some mild discussion on particular characteristics of a country's ... practices ... then we are too fragile to be in any discussion group.

Suggestion :
... I think this topic has run its course, and therefore it should be closed.

I'm interested in seeing if the uncle is going to be taking part in any upcoming activities related to the wedding. Also, if we will see any future interviews of the CP and the soon to be Crown Princess.
imo it would be a good idea to do some damage control, and have Mary go around visiting historical aspects of Denmark.

Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 31st, 2003 - 1:13 pm
... I think this topic has run its course, and therefore it should be closed.
Excuse me but although I agree with you in principle, as an American, I claim the last word on this topic.

Well, I mean I am an American in the only sense that really counts -- that is from the United States of America, where all the citizens are smarter, bigger, meaner, more right and more moral than anyone else in the world. Did I leave anything out? Oh, yes, I forgot, as Americans we are more magnanimous than all other people as long as these other people remember their proper place in the pecking order. B) :innocent:

Ok, back on topic, NOW... NO MORE about whose country is worse, which people are better. This thread's about teh Danish Crown Prince, his fiancee, and the disasterous "interview" they gave. Let's talk about that, ok people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom