The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Honestly, I wish Eugenie had eliminated that carriage ride from her wedding plans.
I think it has cost her a lot of public goodwill. It's simply not worth it, imo.
I think so. There would have been no problem with it, if they had made it clear that they'd bear the cost of extra security. However, sicne she's not a working royal, I think she'll quietly slip back into a fairly private life after her marriage... so its not that big a deal.....

Old 09-22-2018, 08:47 AM
Royal Highness

Didn't Peter Phillips have a carriage ride? I definitely remember that he and Autumn departed in a carriage.

Why are people so hateful? Really!!

Old 09-22-2018, 08:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Didn't Peter Phillips have a carriage ride? I definitely remember that he and Autumn departed in a carriage.

Why are people so hateful? Really!!
Yes but it wasn't through the streets. They simply left the church in a carriage to go to the reception at Frogmore House.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Yes but it wasn't through the streets. They simply left the church in a carriage to go to the reception at Frogmore House.
The point being that the carriage didn’t cross any streets in the town, but stayed inside the Windsor estate?
Old 09-22-2018, 09:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post

The point being that the carriage didn’t cross any streets in the town, but stayed inside the Windsor estate?
Yes, just the way Harry drove to Frogmore from the castle on the evening of his wedding without leaving the confines of the estate.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I think it has cost her a lot of public goodwill. It's simply not worth it, imo.

What public goodwill? And frankly what does it matter what itís cost her? The situation doesnít seemed to have affected anything in particular. If people dislike Eugenie for it, fine, why does that make a difference to the world?

The people who seem so outraged are the typical daily mail commenters who are outraged by everything. I doubt that minority is going to have a significant impact on anything.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Majesty

Just out of curiosity - could one just take the horse drawn carriage out onto the streets of Windsor without special permission on any given day?

It's not at all controlled in my municipality, and we take advantage by having hay rides in the neighborhood in the fall. But we do avoid anything even close to a Main Street. And they are wonderful horses that are used to this kind of thing.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What popped into my mind, with your question, is that I definitely remember reading reports of Philip carriage driving through Windsor. I'm not sure if he had to clear it ahead of time or it was just something he could normally do but, to me, I don't think Philip would disrupt the town of Windsor in a carriage if it caused complications. He's got quite a bit of room to drive just on the private estate of Windsor Castle itself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Phil...Mk-rVUCGjooXM:
Old 09-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness

I doubt if Eugenie or her father set the route for the carriage ride, it was probably done by the palace staffers who are responsible for event planning for the BRF. Time will tell if the correct call was made by the courtiers, but even if it was the wrong call was made I doubt if the BRF will be seriously damaged by this miscall.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
What public goodwill? And frankly what does it matter what itís cost her? The situation doesnít seemed to have affected anything in particular. If people dislike Eugenie for it, fine, why does that make a difference to the world?
Eugenie and Jack had a lot of well-wishers in the beginning.

But now, every day I see articles (NOT all in the DM) about how much the wedding is costing and who is expected to pay.
It gives everything a negative slant.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Eugenie is getting married in 3 weeks. People who dislike the monarchy will rant anyways. People ranted about all the royal weddings. There was a heckler outside the Lindo Wing.

I hope it is a beautiful day for the couple and look forward to seeing all the dresses.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Eugenie and Jack had a lot of well-wishers in the beginning.

But now, every day I see articles (NOT all in the DM) about how much the wedding is costing and who is expected to pay.
It gives everything a negative slant.
If it is in your online feed-the more you click on and read articles with that slant the more pop up.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I doubt if Eugenie or her father set the route for the carriage ride, it was probably done by the palace staffers who are responsible for event planning for the BRF. Time will tell if the correct call was made by the courtiers, but even if it was the wrong call was made I doubt if the BRF will be seriously damaged by this miscall.
The BRF won't go under specifically because of this but it's just another thing that will help to chip away at goodwill towards the institution. Take away the carriage ride and I think there would have been little controversy so in that respect I think is was the wrong call.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The BRF won't go under specifically because of this but it's just another thing that will help to chip away at goodwill towards the institution. Take away the carriage ride and I think there would have been little controversy so in that respect I think is was the wrong call.
Maybe. Although they might have received other criticism in that case such as that the general public had no chance to see the bridal couple at the wedding of a princess of the blood. That could have easily be spinned into Eugenie only wanting the perks and not the responsibilities that come with being a princess of the UK - which include allowing the public to participate somewhat on your wedding day.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Aristocracy

There is a part of me that hopes Beatrice is going to elope or better Charlotte in about 25 years or so , just to see the reaction to something like that. I bet people wouldn't be happy with that either .
Old 09-22-2018, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Maybe. Although they might have received other criticism in that case such as that the general public had no chance to see the bridal couple at the wedding of a blood princess. That could have easily be spinned into Eugenie only wanting the perks and not the responsibilities that come with being a princess of the UK - which include allowing the public to participate somewhat on your wedding day.
I don't 't think anyone really uses words like 'blood princess' anymore although I get your point.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't 't think anyone really uses words like 'blood princess' anymore although I get your point.
My apologies, I should have said princess of the blood (royal)... As that expression is still used if I am not mistaken.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Honestly, I wish Eugenie had eliminated that carriage ride from her wedding plans.
Uh? The happy bride and groom would like to marry in a chapel on her grandmother's estate, she can use one of the splendid carriages parked in her grandmother's mews, pulled by her grandmother's horses, to be driven on her grandmother's domain. The Princess is damn' right to make use of the splendid infrastructure and facilities her beloved grandmaman has so graciously given at her disposal for an upcoming unforgettable day.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Uh? The happy bride and groom would like to marry in a chapel on her grandmother's estate, she can use one of the splendid carriages parked in her grandmother's mews, pulled by her grandmother's horses, to be driven on her grandmother's domain. The Princess is damn' right to make use of the splendid infrastructure and facilities her beloved grandmaman has so graciously given at her disposal for an upcoming unforgettable day.

The point is, she is NOT just being driven on the estate, but also on the street in Windsor, thus increasing security costs and annoying the taxpayers who must foot the bill.

If she had the same sort of carriage ride Peter Phillips did, then nobody would object.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
My apologies, I should have said princess of the blood (royal)... As that expression is still used if I am not mistaken.
Not in this day and age, except in forums like this maybe. Ask the average person in the street what that means and they wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about.

Closed Thread