Queen Margrethe II announces Abdication for January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely unnecessary for the Press Department to have made the statement regarding when the Princes were told IMO. Its just added to the drama.

I cannot imagine QMII just out of the blue announcing to her family: BTW I'm abdicating in two weeks.

I believe the official announcement to her family on the 28th was just that, the official "go". - As others have already pointed out here.

There are contingency plans for when a monarch dies. They need a little adjustment and then you follow the schedule outlined in the plan. An abdication is another matter!
We haven't had an abdication in almost 1.000 years. We had a king who was "abdicated" in the early 1500s, but he was held captive by a pretender. So that one really doesn't count.

It appears to be clear that QMII at least aired the idea to at least the Swedish King, and no doubt the Norwegian King as well, as they are very close friends.
It takes some consideration, planning, investigation, sounding out the politicians (perhaps the PM planned to called a general election or some other major political event, whatever), checking the legal implications. In other words: A lot of considerations needed to be taken.

And that at the very least would have involved Frederik. Also because it means that senior members of his staff are going to over in only two weeks after this announcement. Nah, don't believe that one.

I think QMII pondered about an abdication. Made initial and confidential soundings to her senior staff and advisors, sounded out the government and naturally sounded out Frederik. And I doubt Mary was left out.
Then she decided to abdicate if it was legally and practically possible at that given date etc. Her staff and advisors were figuring out how to go about and plan the abdication.
And then when everything was ready she - officially - informed her family and the PM. (Who I firmly believe was notified unofficially a long time before.)
With that said QMII could announce it in her New Year speech. - And keep in mind that at least the major network DR1, that showed her speech live, would have been informed in advance as well, because they write subtitles for the hearing impaired.

The open question is of course whether Joachim and Benedikte was informed unofficially some time back. Personally I can't see any reason why they shouldn't have. But there has been enough squabble within the DRF recently for me to only consider that very plausible.

I do not for one single moment believe Madrid in any way influenced QMII. That hardly caused a ripple in DK anyway and I assume you read the polls. This abdication has full public backing and so have M&F.
The wheels were IMO already turning before Frederik even went to Madrid.
And as for saving M&F's marriage. Well, I'm very careful and cannot say with 100 % certainty - yet - that their relationship has changed after Madrid. However I did notice M&F exchange glances and Mary didn't look like she wanted to kill Frederik or divorce him anytime soon. So I doubt very much QMII's hand was there either.
- At worst it would actually more likely have cancelled or postponed a planned abdication because QMII would have had to deal with a major crisis within the DRF or would have given M&F the time to sort their relationship out.
M&F so much needs to be a team right now!

So IMO this has been months in the making.

Thank you Muhler, Very good overview and insights. Always appreciate the insights from a Dane regarding the DRF.

and you are right, the recent polls show very high support for Frederik. I think the Queen can be confident in her decision.
In case some of the polls got lost;
https://nyheder.tv2.dk/2023-12-12-ny...lettelsens-suk
A recent poll asking whether you think Frederik will be a good monarch.
Very good or good - 77%.
Nor good nor bad - 12%.
Bad or very bad - 7%
Don't know - 4%.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/ny-maaling-viser-hoej-opbakning-til-kronprinsparret
"The vast majority of Danes are happy with Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.
This is shown by a new study Epinion has carried out for Danmarks Radio.
Respectively, 84 and 85 percent respond that they have a positive opinion of the crown prince and crown princess.
Thus, the crown prince couple's popularity is on par with Queen Margrethe's.
Only four percent answer that they have a negative opinion of Crown Princess Mary, while this applies to six percent when the question is about Crown Prince Frederik."

I think one of the highlights of this forum is that when possible we bring facts from credible sources and keep tabloid stories to a minimum :flowers:

Completely unnecessary for the Press Department to have made the statement regarding when the Princes were told IMO. Its just added to the drama.

I think that was in response to a question from the press, who would - naturally - like to look into how the relationship within the DRF is. Especially in regards to Joachim and his brother and mother.

Well, we don't know how she looks at him when cameras aren't pointed at them. That said, I agree that QMII's decision had absolutely nothing to do with what may or may not have happened in Spain. That would be an utterly ridiculous reason to abdicate.

We don't. But as I have mentioned many times before. No one can act forever, not even professionals. - So if there are many photos where Mary still look lovingly at Frederik, then perhaps the infidelity story was slightly exaggerated.
And there were at least two such, separate exchange of glances between M&F that have been published here on TRF. - Yes, I count them.

This seems to be the (paywalled) Berlingske Tidende article.

https://www.berlingske.dk/kongehus/...en-over-for-berlingske-kronprins-frederik-fik

In this case, I don't see why the palace spokeswoman would state it if it were not true.

“People” now has an article Tatiana Maria that quotes the official Palace announcement regarding when Frederik was first informed that he was to become King. Seventy two hours notice.

And Ms Balleby declined to say when the court officials, or Denmark’s Prime Minister, were informed.

But she is quoted as saying it was a “very short run-up”.

A Danish historian is not too impressed, calling the sudden notice to everyone “quite outrageous”.

Poor Margrethe being criticised. If she has had enough, why should she spend more of her life fulfilling other people’s expectations or needs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...n-3-days-before-world-knew-report/ar-AA1mPnkM

Last edited:
It sounds like abdication has been in the works for a while, but Margrethe hadn't decided on a date. They were all together at Christmas, so I can imagine a conversation where she said, "I haven't decided whether to announce it on New Year's or the 14th or on my birthday (or whatever)."

Lene's Balleby's comment today was probably intended to quash suggestions that Joachim is always the last to know, as he claimed during the title flap.

They were asked and decided to reply. If they had refused to do so it'd have been an even bigger story. Whatever they do they'll get both some positive and some negative pushback.
For me one of the big positives about the public relations of the court of Queen Margrethe is that she's never been afraid to face controversy head-on or speak openly about mistakes she's made. This I unfortunately believe won't be the case of the court of King Frederik.

The Queen has spoken.
“Thank you from the bottom of my heart!”

With these words, Her Majesty the Queen surprised everyone this evening, when the Queen - directly from Amalienborg - spoke to those present at Kongens Nytorv and TV viewers at home in the living rooms.

From Kongens Nytorv in Copenhagen, DR and TV 2 broadcast a menudo program "Queen of Denmark - the biggest thank you", where citizens from the entire Commonwealth sent greetings, and artists performed with both dance and music.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2A5bhNNvrk/?igsh=MXNpMWxydGJzbnh3dw==

She looks so frail.:sad:

What a lovely surprise, to take the time to send a message after a lovely tribute to her

she must be filled with emotions, they all must be. Remembering her father and becoming Queen, remembering Henrik, hearing and seeing the lovely messages from the Danes.
I know Sunday will be a historic day but also one of emotion. New beginnings but also remembering those that are not there with them. Henrik, the late Queen Ingrid that meant so much to Frederik, Mary's mother ...

:flowers: That was a very moved QMII.

I'm so glad that she gets to see, hear and experience how appreciated she genuinely is.

She is also bowing out when she is still on top. That's graceful and a mark of style.
She will be remembered for so many things.
For being the first female monarch. For making a monarchy that was widely viewed with considerable disinterest into a popular and respected institution that enjoys a very wide appeal.
She will be remembered for inviting the first gay couple to a gala-dinner, without making a fuss of it.
She will be remembered for being non-conformist and dare being herself.
She will be remembered for having an opinion, while rarely being controversial.
She will be remembered for being the longest reigning monarch in Danish history.
She will be remembered for having flaws and admitting them.
She will be remembered for doubling the average IQ in a room merely by walking in the door.
She will be remembered for splitting journalists in two with a spark from her tongue when they ask too stupid questions.
She will be remembered for cracking the whip when we Danes didn't behave like we really know we should.
And she will be remembered for allowing her son and heir to shine when his time came.

- That's quite a legacy!

:flowers: That was a very moved QMII.

I'm so glad that she gets to see, hear and experience how appreciated she genuinely is.

She is also bowing out when she is still on top. That's graceful and a mark of style.
She will be remembered for so many things.
For being the first female monarch. For making a monarchy that was widely viewed with considerable disinterest into a popular and respected institution that enjoys a very wide appeal.
She will be remembered for inviting the first gay couple to a gala-dinner, without making a fuss of it.
She will be remembered for being non-conformist and dare being herself.
She will be remembered for having an opinion, while rarely being controversial.
She will be remembered for being the longest reigning monarch in Danish history.
She will be remembered for having flaws and admitting them.
She will be remembered for doubling the average IQ in a room merely by walking in the door.
She will be remembered for splitting journalists in two with a spark from her tongue when they ask too stupid questions.
She will be remembered for cracking the whip when we Danes didn't behave like we really know we should.
And she will be remembered for allowing her son and heir to shine when his time came.

- That's quite a legacy!
Agree Muhler but for non-Danes, anyway, she will also be remembered as a gifted artist who made many contributions to the worlds of dance, tapestry, literature, painting and theatre!

Agree Muhler but for non-Danes, anyway, she will also be remembered as a gifted artist who made many contributions to the worlds of dance, tapestry, literature, painting and theatre!

Absolutely! The erudite Queen.

Her charisma will be remembered! Thanks very much for everything, Daisy!!

I wonder if she'll retain the title of queen. Her mother did, but she was a consort. Perhaps she'll revert to princess, as Beatrix did in the Netherlands.

And, it will be interesting to see what she does next. Will she continue to have a public role? Maybe she'll become a full-time artist and writer.

Maybe she will become Queen Mother. I know this title is usually given to a widowed queen Consort, but maybe.

Maybe she will become Queen Mother. I know this title is usually given to a widowed queen Consort, but maybe.

The title of Queen Mother could work very well for Queen Margrethe II.
The title worked very well for Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother of Great Britain.

It’s already been announced that she will continue to be called Queen Margrethe following the accession of King Frederik. It came out amongst the plethora of information from the Danish Court following the announcement of the Queen’s abdication.

The title worked very well for Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother of Great Britain.

Very OT, but had Q.Elizabeth II been a man, wouldn't the queen mother have been called 'King Mother' instead?

PS. i'm sure that doesn't 'sound' right in Danish either ?

Very OT, but had Q.Elizabeth II been a man, wouldn't the queen mother have been called 'King Mother' instead?

I guess she would have simply called Queen Elizabeth then as was Queen Mary.
And also widowed Queens who have been mothers of Kings have been called Queenmother like Queen Lovisa of Denmark or Queen Maria Cristina of Spain.

It’s already been announced that she will continue to be called Queen Margrethe following the accession of King Frederik. It came out amongst the plethora of information from the Danish Court following the announcement of the Queen’s abdication.

That's right, Curryong. CyrilVladisla, the links to and discussion of the press release concerning post-abdication titles can be located here in the Danish royal titles thread:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...008-and-2022-2024-a-16845-78.html#post2588151

It has already been announced that she will be known as Queen Margrethe (instead of The Queen, which will from tomorrow after her abdication on refer to Mary).

What an emotional day for the queen,her last full day as Monarch and a monumental day ahead tomorrow.
God bless the Queen!

A wonderful video of the Queen's reign set to the song Girls just want to have fun!
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2DHbkbNIld/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Just wonderful!

On the occasion of H.M. Queen Margrethe's abdication, the Danish Armed Forces have made a special video greeting to Her Majesty. Soldiers from all armed forces and the entire Commonwealth thank the Queen for her 52 years as regent and supreme commander of the Armed Forces. You can also see some of the most memorable moments from H.M. The Queen's visit, where the Queen has visited, supported and honored the Danish forces at home and abroad.

Last edited by a moderator:
A digital bouquet of flowers in honour of the Her Majesty The Queen of Denmark

The Queen will abdicate on January 14, marking an historic event and the first abdication in nearly 900 years. The Crown Prince will succeed with a series of events and celebrations planned

Thank you, dear Daisy, for making our country flourish for 52 years ❤️

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2CIRqRM-Vr/?igsh=eHd6Nm80NDJsb253

Special moments from Her Majesty The Queen's reign.

Tomorrow, the Queen will step down as Queen of Denmark and leave the throne to His Royal Highness the Crown Prince.

Read a lot more about the upcoming change of throne on the Royal Palace's website.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2DHbkbNIld/?igsh=aTF0dXpqMGoxYWVw

Goodness, one can only love her. Precious Daisy. :wub:

What an emotional day for the queen,her last full day as Monarch and a monumental day ahead tomorrow.
God bless the Queen!

Tomorrow is the anniversary of her beloved father's passing. Tomorrow is the 52th anniversary of her proclamation. Tomorrow she abdicates. Tomorrow her son becomes King.

I sincerely hope Anna-Maria and Benedikte will be there for her. Mary and Fred won't be that far way from tears either, thinking of mother and father respectively.

Gosh. I'm teary eyed already.

On the occasion of H.M. Queen Margrethe's abdication, the Danish Armed Forces have made a special video greeting to Her Majesty. Soldiers from all armed forces and the entire Commonwealth thank the Queen for her 52 years as regent and supreme commander of the Armed Forces. You can also see some of the most memorable moments from H.M. The Queen's visit, where the Queen has visited, supported and honored the Danish forces at home and abroad.

My poor heart. No one does it like the Danes.
Thank you for existing, Queen Marghrete II!

Kongemor/kongemoder? - That sounds even worse! :lol:

Kongemor/kongemoder? - That sounds even worse! :lol:

:lol: I quickly read that reply and the first word I thought that I read was "Kongemordor!" I immediately associated it with the Lord of the Rings!?

My poor heart. No one does it like the Danes.
Thank you for existing, Queen Marghrete II!

It's a wonderful tribute. :flowers::daneflag2:

Question for our knowledgeable posters. As HM Queen Margrethe is now abdicating will she retain her current role as the Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment? QM's predecessor was the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

Totally different situations. Queen Margrethe is/was a Queen Regnant and Queen Elizabeth was a Queen Consort, and only Queen Consorts can become a Queen Mother.

There is no such title as King Mother. A Queen Mother is the widow of a King who is also the mother of the new monarch, regardless of the gender of the monarch. Various countries have had Queen Mothers (like Tonga and Lesotho) who were the mother of the King.

I'm curious if Danish posters have seen any (credible) reports that the Queen abdicated because of health concerns other than her back. I've seen several reports on some not-always-credible sites suggesting she has more serious illnesses, so I wondered if other sources have reported anything.

She does look a bit frail, but given the way she bounced back from her surgery, she's obviously very resilient.

I'm curious if Danish posters have seen any (credible) reports that the Queen abdicated because of health concerns other than her back. I've seen several reports on some not-always-credible sites suggesting she has more serious illnesses, so I wondered if other sources have reported anything.

She does look a bit frail, but given the way she bounced back from her surgery, she's obviously very resilient.

Congratulations on your first 1.000 posts :flowers:

Not credible sources.
But apart from the official explanation, it is the one that is most widely speculated on here in DK as being a main reason for QMII abdicating.
It is only that though, speculations.

Anyway, those in the know wouldn't say anything. They risk not only their jobs but jail-time.

:lol: I quickly read that reply and the first word I thought that I read was "Kongemordor!" I immediately associated it with the Lord of the Rings!?

It's a wonderful tribute. :flowers::daneflag2:

Question for our knowledgeable posters. As HM Queen Margrethe is now abdicating will she retain her current role as the Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment? QM's predecessor was the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

Well, you are much closer to Game of Thrones than you think.

Because "kongemord" with a D at the end means regicide, and it's pronounced just like "kongemor" = king-mother.
- So the bad jokes are already lining up. :D

My guess is that she will retain her rank as honorary colonel until she dies or give it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom