Denmark : Abdication & Accession Day - January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find it hard to believe there is such little interest in Mary down under given the plethora of news clips I watched on youtube covering the entirety of events surrounding the change of throne including havebubg multiple reporters in Copenhagen five first hand reports.

I mean lighting up buildings and bridges in a country on the other side of the world when one of their own becomes Queen in a far away European country would seem to imply not only interest but pride and excitement.

I don't think print publications can't be used to measure interest in anything these days.

Did you see the friends of Mary’s mother got together Izzie … that was a nice thing that got a bit of coverage.

I agree, printed magazines are not popular - if it's not online, people will not bother. Women's magazines, in particular, are only popular for those 55+. I'm 42 and have no desire to buy or read women's magazines as I read all my news online. Same with most of my cohort and especially for those under 35.

I only saw one article on the Australian news sites regarding the church service, and that's no surprise. The Proclamation was headline news last Monday and then fizzled out by Wednesday.

Yes, the mags are for those not on the internet CrownPrincessJava, my mother buys them to help with her insomnia. :lol:

I’m just surprised it wasn’t bigger for them to put out for their audience, a once in never again thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
No other Australian is ever going to get a throne in Europe I imagine, so this lack of “Kapow, what about that then” surprises me.

I agree it is not likely in the near future, but, with globalization and more relaxed attitudes regarding royal marriages, it is not impossible that another Australian will marry a European heir at some point in the future.

Lovely bts photos! You can feel the emotion fir everyone and the family support.

Yes. always great to see behind the scenes photos. The kids did a fantastic job taking in the big event while taking care of each other. As Christian said, when one is low in energy the others are there.

I was just seeing this picture again, and notice Joachim first in the greeting line and next to him is that Mary's sister Jane?
https://asset.dr.dk/imagescaler/?pr...2.jpg&scaleAfter=crop&quality=70&w=1200&h=800

Yes. always great to see behind the scenes photos. The kids did a fantastic job taking in the big event while taking care of each other. As Christian said, when one is low in energy the others are there.

I was just seeing this picture again, and notice Joachim first in the greeting line and next to him is that Mary's sister Jane?
https://asset.dr.dk/imagescaler/?pr...2.jpg&scaleAfter=crop&quality=70&w=1200&h=800

It appears to be, yes, because next to her is the Prime Minister.

Kings Willem Alexander, Philippe and Felipe abdicated when their Children were young.
I hope for Danemark's Royal Children that each "faux pas " will not be in the newspapers and critics.
Their life change completely and very quickly.

Kings Willem Alexander, Philippe and Felipe abdicated when their Children were young.
I hope for Danemark's Royal Children that each "faux pas " will not be in the newspapers and critics.
Their life change completely and very quickly.

Christian is already 18 and Isabella is 16. It is hardly the same situation as Willem-Alexander's, Philippe's and Felipe's children when their respective fathers ascended the throne. The twins, Vincent and Josephine, who are still 13, are closer in age (albeit still older) than the Dutch, Belgian and Spanish royal children were at the time of the changes of reign in their respective countries, but being third and fourth in line respectively, the twins attract less attention than their older siblings.

I expect that the press will focus a lot on Crown Prince Christian. He is tall, good-looking and popular, and in an age range where he is expected to be seen with different girlfriends, which always draws a lot of interest. But, again, Christian is an adult now who can legally serve as regent and could even be king, so it is not the same as covering young royal children. I hope the press gives him some privacy, but I don't expect it.

Last edited:
Christian is already 18 and Isabella is 16. It is hardly the same situation as Willem-Alexander's, Philippe's and Felipe's children when their respective fathers ascended the throne. The twins, Vincent and Josephine, who are still 13, are closer in age (albeit still older) than the Dutch, Belgian and Spanish royal children were at the time of the changes of reign in their respective countries, but being third and fourth in line respectively, the twins attract less attention than their older siblings.

I expect that the press will focus a lot on Crown Prince Christian. He is tall, good-looking and popular, and in an age range where he is expected to be seen with different girlfriends, which always draws a lot of interest. But, again, Christian is an adult now who can legally serve as regent and could even be king, so it is not the same as covering young royal children. I hope the press gives him some privacy, but I don't expect it.

I don't really believe that the level of press coverage Christian and Isabella will get now, as children of the monarch and consort, is going to be materially more intrusive than if the abdication had not happened. They were always going to get a lot of coverage given their position in the royal family. Chrisitian will have to conduct himself with maturity and dignity in the years ahead, just hope that does not compromise his being a teenager too much.

QUOTE Chrisitian will have to conduct himself with maturity and dignity in the years ahead, just hope that does not compromise his being a teenager too much.

Thanks , That is what I hope too. It is easier with yougner Children.

Last edited:
I don't really believe that the level of press coverage Christian and Isabella will get now, as children of the monarch and consort, is going to be materially more intrusive than if the abdication had not happened. They were always going to get a lot of coverage given their position in the royal family. Chrisitian will have to conduct himself with maturity and dignity in the years ahead, just hope that does not compromise his being a teenager too much.

You are right. Christian in particular but already now also Isabella will be watched much more closely from now on. And while they may not end up in the papers, the are almost bound to end up on social media. Often by someone who doesn't know the laws regarding privacy.

Unfortunately, the actual abdication declaration will not be published for 100 years.

https://dagtho.blogspot.com/2024/01/denmark-declaration-of-abdication.html

The Church of Denmark prayer for the royal family has been updated to reflect the change of reign.

https://dagtho.blogspot.com/2024/01/denmark-new-church-prayer-for-king-and.html

So, instead of praying for queen Margethe the second, crown prince Frederik, crown princess Mary and the whole royal house, the prayer will now be for king Frederik the tenth, queen Mary, crown prince Christan, queen Margrethe and the wole royal house. This reflects the new order of precedence we have observed so far with Christian taking precedence over Margrethe but his siblings being placed behind her.

So, instead of praying for queen Margethe the second, crown prince Frederik, crown princess Mary and the whole royal house, the prayer will now be for king Frederik the tenth, queen Mary, crown prince Christan, queen Margrethe and the wole royal house. This reflects the new order of precedence we have observed so far with Christian taking precedence over Margrethe but his siblings being placed behind her.

I wondering if this the case since Isabella, Vincent and Josephine are under 18 and cannot stand in for Frederik as yet. It would be weird if Queen Margrethe is ahead of them after they turn 18

I wondering if this the case since Isabella, Vincent and Josephine are under 18 and cannot stand in for Frederik as yet. It would be weird if Queen Margrethe is ahead of them after they turn 18

Margrethe is still a majesty, while they are not... So, that might factor in as well. Christian might be a royal highness but as the crown prince, he is also the regent if his father is absent.

Margrethe is still a majesty, while they are not... So, that might factor in as well. Christian might be a royal highness but as the crown prince, he is also the regent if his father is absent.

Did Queen Ingrid rank higher than Prince Joachim during Margrethe's reign?

New official photos of the Royal Family taken in the throne room at Christiansborg Castle on the day of the proclamation.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/foto-video/officielle-portraetter-af-kongefamilien

Out of curiosity, is this the same photographer who took the pictures of Queen Margarethe with Fred and Mary where the angle was strange and everyone looked out of proportion? It certainly appears to me that it might be. The photo of the family has very, very odd proportions. I realize that Christian is quite tall, much taller than his parents. But the photo makes both Christian and Isabella look like giants compared to the other four.

:previous: No, if we're thinking of the same portrait, that was Per Morten Abrahamsen. He also took some godawful pictures of QMII for her 80th birthday.

The accession portraits were taken by Dennis Stenild. I think the first pictures Stenild took of the DRF were for the article with QMII in The New York Times last year. He then did all the official photographs for Christian's 18th birthday.

:previous: No, if we're thinking of the same portrait, that was Per Morten Abrahamsen. He also took some godawful pictures of QMII for her 80th birthday.

The accession portraits were taken by Dennis Stenild. I think the first pictures Stenild took of the DRF were for the article with QMII in The New York Times last year. He then did all the official photographs for Christian's 18th birthday.

Thank you. I didn't have time to look it up but I was so struck by the odd angles and proportions of the new picture and it looked so very much like those horrible 80th birthday pictures we remember. Perhaps it's time for the Danish RF to seek out some new photographic talent....

Seems rather odd to keep it unpublished for so long.

Out of curiosity, is this the same photographer who took the pictures of Queen Margarethe with Fred and Mary where the angle was strange and everyone looked out of proportion? It certainly appears to me that it might be. The photo of the family has very, very odd proportions. I realize that Christian is quite tall, much taller than his parents. But the photo makes both Christian and Isabella look like giants compared to the other four.

I thought the exact same thing. Very odd to have the subjects off-center and so much headroom above them.

I thought the exact same thing. Very odd to have the subjects off-center and so much headroom above them.

The photographer appears to be straining very hard to get the thrones into the shots. Hence being off-center and the extra headroom. It wasn't entirely successful but still a nice photo. Hopefully we will have new portraits coming soon a la QMII's portraits taken a few weeks after becoming Queen. Those portraits are splendid.

The photographer appears to be straining very hard to get the thrones into the shots. Hence being off-center and the extra headroom. It wasn't entirely successful but still a nice photo. Hopefully we will have new portraits coming soon a la QMII's portraits taken a few weeks after becoming Queen. Those portraits are splendid.

Yes, I think you're right. The thrones are in the picture, but the effect is weird.

But, they're good pictures when they're cropped. :)

Now it makes sense why the two other women’s magazines here in Australia did not make much fuss about Mary becoming Queen.

The February issue of “big sister” publication “The Australian Women’s Weekly” … which only comes out monthly … has been given to the Danish happenings.

All three publication are now from the same stable, a private equity group here in Australia. They are no longer in German hands.

Mary and Frederik have the cover … which is still glossy quality though the inside pages are not anymore … with only one other personality competing for attention.

And the letter from the editor is mostly about Mary.

An eighteen page article with seven full page photos and finishing with a double-page spread with wonderful photos of the main Danish Crown Jewels.

And a full-page first person report from a royal correspondent who has met Mary over the years … for exclusives for the magazine and going on tour with her. (How nice to sit beside a pool in Kuala Lumpur to have a chat.)

This is more like it after last week.

Even a photo of her Dad carrying her train as she comes down the stairs in her wedding dress all those years ago.

The cover …

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/queen-mary-of-denmark-graces-februarys-womens-weekly-cover/

Last edited:
That’s a splendid cover, AND a special souvenir issue on King Frederik and Queen Mary. Glad that the mystery has been solved. The Women’s Weekly really is the glossiest of the ‘glossy mags’ in Australia so one would expect them to do a full spread. I will be buying a copy when I go into town next. It should be an interesting read.

In the UK, the Queen Mother had higher precedence than the Princess of Wales (even when Diana was accompanied by her husband) and Princess Anne (the Queen's daughter) for example. It is unclear if she had higher precedence than Prince Charles since, strictly speaking, the UK has separate orders of precedence for men and women respectively.

Let us assume, however, that she did, which is in line with the point of view of some TRF members who do not agree that there are in practice separate male and female orders of precedence in the UK. In that case, the Danish model, where QMII is ranked below CP Christian, but above his siblngs, would differ both from the British rules of precedence, where the Queen Mother outranked all of Queen Elizabeth II's children, and the current Spanish rules, where King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofía have lower precedence than both of King Felipe VI's daughters, but higher than the King's sisters.

Personally I think that it is illogical that an HM should be outranked by an HRH, even if the HRH in question is the Crown Prince. Precedence is not the same as constitutional position.

Last edited:
That’s a splendid cover, AND a special souvenir issue on King Frederik and Queen Mary. Glad that the mystery has been solved. The Women’s Weekly really is the glossiest of the ‘glossy mags’ in Australia so one would expect them to do a full spread. I will be buying a copy when I go into town next. It should be an interesting read.

A very nice keepsake Curryong.

The full-page photos look great and the closeups of the Crown Jewels are probably the best chance to have a proper look at those beautiful pieces.

I won’t be surprised to see Mary do another exclusive with the magazine in the future.

I bought the hardcover coffee table book “90 Years of Covers” a few weeks ago and that reproduced some of Mary’s previous Women’s Weekly covers … along with many other Royals etc of course.

Not every cover ever, but a nice record of many iconic issues.

https://www.aremediabooks.com.au/Products/21729/the-australian-womens-weekly-90-years-of-covers

Last edited:

A worthy addition to your library Curryong.

In the UK, the Queen Mother had higher precedence than the Princess of Wales (even when Diana was accompanied by her husband) and Princess Anne (the Queen's daughter) for example. It is unclear if she had higher precedence than Prince Charles since, strictly speaking, the UK has separate orders of precedence for men and women respectively.

Let us assume, however, that she did, which is in line with the point of view of some TRF members who do not agree that there are in practice separate male and female orders of precedence in the UK. In that case, the Danish model, where QMII is ranked below CP Christian, but above his siblngs, would differ both from the British rules of precedence, where the Queen Mother outranked all of Queen Elizabeth II's children, and the current Spanish rules, where King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofía have lower precedence than both of King Felipe VI's daughters, but higher than the King's sisters.

Personally I think that it is illogical that an HM should be outranked by an HRH, even if the HRH in question is the Crown Prince. Precedence is not the same as constitutional position.

It is basically down to Christian automatically becoming Regent - acting head of state. While QMII needs to be appointed Rigsforstander, even though she used to be head of state.

Back
Top Bottom