Denmark : Abdication & Accession Day - January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The newscaster declared that the Accession of King Frederik to the throne was 'totally steeped in tradition'.

Frederick was emotional throughout the day - I am glad for him that he assumed the throne under happy circumstances rather than the traditional way following his mother's death.

Mary was class as always - she was born for this role

I hope Frederik will be like Philippe in Belgium. No one believed Philippe was up to it when he took over from Albert, but Philippe has proven to be a worthy successor to his Uncle Baudouin as King of the Belgians both in his public and private lives.

Frederik has the advantage of being the recipient of enormous high hopes and good will from the first day of his reign.

There was an awkwardness to it but it was kind of endearing and the prime minister stated it was QMII's explicit wish that she wanted to see Frederik seated at the head of the table. Her father never got to see her seated as the sovereign at a state council and she wanted to give herself that little gift by watching her son take her seat.

Can you direct me to the interview where the prime minister revealed this?

According to the comments and based on mobile-data, some 174.000 were standing at Christiansborg.
Some 52.000 at a major square in Copenhagen, that the carriage and car passed.
And some 73.000 at Amalieborg.
And altogether some 3 million watched it on TV.
DK at present has a population of 5.9 million.
People along the route seems not to have been counted.
When I look at the crowd it looks like any more people would not fit! It is incredible- I really think it’s the largest crowd I remember seeing!

Anyone else notice how so journalists and broadcasters mistook the Danish Prime Minister for Queen Mary on Sunday?

I also noticed that queen Margrethe was rather emotional as she left the room post abdication.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2F_4Hkt_62/?igsh=MzY1NDJmNzMyNQ==

Video from Armed Forces IG...Long Live the King with some footage of a young Frederik in the military including frogman training also with images of the ascension.

This is just a fantastic video! some great footage of a young Frederik joining and growing with the military. His special relationship with the armed forces is clear.

I also noticed that queen Margrethe was rather emotional as she left the room post abdication.

She had just said God save the King to her son. I'm sure her father, King Frederik IX, was on her mind. Her last duty as Queen. I was emotional too :flowers:

This is just a fantastic video! some great footage of a young Frederik joining and growing with the military. His special relationship with the armed forces is clear.

She had just said God save the King to her son. I'm sure her father, King Frederik IX, was on her mind. Her last duty as Queen. I was emotional too :flowers:

It was a very emotional moment when she signed the papers and stood up and Frederik stood up a little unsure of what to do...almost waiting for her to give him permission to take her seat..then she motioned for him to sit and he bowed and sat down with Christian taking his seat. I think that is when she got extremely emotional seeing the visual of her son taking over. Plus, it must have reminded her of her father given I've heard of how similar Frederik and his grandfather are - and there is Frederik sitting in the seat at the head of the table in the same uniform as her father and I think everything just hit her at once. It was a beautiful moment. And seeing 3 generations in that one shot - one era ending, one era beginning and the next era-in-waiting. IMO, one of the iconic images of the day.

Also, I read that the watch Frederik was wearing is an exclusive watch only worn by frogmen. Here is he article from BB explaining it. https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-derfor-har-kong-frederik-lov-til-gaa-med-det

Here is another article re the watch
https://www.seoghoer.dk/kongelige/ingen-maa-se-det-kongen-bar-hemmeligt-armbaandsur

Last edited:
Nice statement! (And he never mentioning wanting to buy Greenland from her!)

I think you’ll find it was the previous President who wanted to buy Greenland, not President Biden.

I wonder when we can expect a new formal photograph of the King & Queen - I wonder what tiara Mary will choose for this

I wonder when we can expect a new formal photograph of the King & Queen - I wonder what tiara Mary will choose for this

She'd look gorgeous in all of them, but the Pearl Poire would stand out the most, IMO, especially the necklace. Of course, the emeralds would look great against her dark hair.

as there have been already several official pics of the King released which have been take at the day of the abdication I guess it could be some time before the are new official Gala pics from both King and Queen.

I'm not sure where the right place to ask this is, but can one of our intrepid Danish members tell me what the doodad attached to KFX's collar is? I know QMargrethe's monogram is on top, but I don't know what order it belongs to.

I'm not sure where the right place to ask this is, but can one of our intrepid Danish members tell me what the doodad attached to KFX's collar is? I know QMargrethe's monogram is on top, but I don't know what order it belongs to.

I shall endeavor to offer an answer. To me, without checking, it looks like the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog.
He also wear the star to that order.

I shall endeavor to offer an answer. To me, without checking, it looks like the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog.
He also wears the star to that order.

Thank you very much! :flowers:

He also wear the star to that order.

I believe it is the badge of Grand Commander of the Order of the Dannebrog, which is a special class restricted to 8 members only.

A short video with some highlights (including mainly the carriage rides and short parts of the balcony appearances):

Wonderful pictures of the family in the throne room.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C2Rp_Y5At2e/?img_index=1

very fitting as we dont often see the throne room, beautiful place.

the sign abdication has been sent to the national archives.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...krev-abdikationserklaering-her-er-den-nu-gemt
"In fact, there are two copies – one for the Danish Parliament and one that will be transferred to the National Archives."

A few more behind the scene photos. Taken by the primi ministers photographer.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...r-afsloerer-hvad-der-skete-efter-balkonscenen
https://politiken.dk/fotografier/ar...-der-skete-før-Frederik-trådte-ud-på-balkonen
https://www.instagram.com/p/C2WrZZnuroS/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Family love and united
https://imgix.billedbladet.dk/2024-...mat,compress&fit=min&crop=faces,entropy&w=900

More pictures and info is coming out.
Here are more behind the scene photos.
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/nye-billeder-viser-tronskiftet-indefra

This one of Christian with his hand on Frederik's shoulder. Full of love and support
https://asset.dr.dk/imagescaler/?pr...l.jpg&scaleAfter=crop&quality=30&w=1440&h=961

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we must have passed peak interest in “our” Mary becoming a Queen down here in Oz, at least for the time being.

The two weekly women’s magazines came out today with their Proclamation/Coronation issues, and one didn’t even have a headline about it on their cover, let alone a photo.

In fact, “New Idea” only did a two page article well inside the magazine on page 26.

“Woman’s Day” made a bit more of an effort with a small photo on the cover and four pages of photos. I quite like their coverage, lots of photos in a busy sort of way on top of each other.

Seeing an Australian become Queen doesn’t seem to have been thought a big selling point, which is a bit strange seeing how much these two publications carry Royal stories.

Anyway, as Australia has a big connection to the recent Danish happenings, it was a pretty low-key thing at the end with these two publications, which was a bit surprising even to me.

I would have thought this is where … women’s magazines … most interest would find an outlet.

Last edited:
I still think there is a fair amount of interest in Mary as Queen here though, Sun Lion. There was coverage on our TV, even on tonight’s news with clips of the Cathedral service and the DRF members grouped outside .

Perhaps its my age, but I remember women absolutely devouring anything to do with Diana Princess of Wales in women’s magazines. However, from that point and certainly in the last couple of decades the circulation of magazines in general have taken a real dive, whoever is featured in them, and that includes British royalty. That is especially so I think with Aussie women under forty.
Therefore I think there is more a disinterest in buying publications like Woman’s Day and No Idea, rather than Australians turning off our Mary!

I find it hard to believe there is such little interest in Mary down under given the plethora of news clips I watched on youtube covering the entirety of events surrounding the change of throne including havebubg multiple reporters in Copenhagen five first hand reports.

I mean lighting up buildings and bridges in a country on the other side of the world when one of their own becomes Queen in a far away European country would seem to imply not only interest but pride and excitement.

I don't think print publications can't be used to measure interest in anything these days.

I still think there is a fair amount of interest in Mary as Queen here though, Sun Lion. There was coverage on our TV, even on tonight’s news with clips of the Cathedral service and the DRF members grouped outside .

Perhaps its my age, but I remember women absolutely devouring anything to do with Diana Princess of Wales in women’s magazines. However, from that point and certainly in the last couple of decades the circulation of magazines in general have taken a real dive, whoever is featured in them, and that includes British royalty. That is especially so I think with Aussie women under forty.
Therefore I think there is more a disinterest in buying publications like Woman’s Day and No Idea, rather than Australians turning off our Mary!

Yes, I have to agree with what you’re saying Curryong.

I did a big bit on these magazines when Christian and Chiara were a hot topic.

But, seeing how much they both cover the Royals … our Royals … I can’t believe they didn’t mine this for all it’s worth this week.

No other Australian is ever going to get a throne in Europe I imagine, so this lack of “Kapow, what about that then” surprises me.

Maybe that’s a bit of a relief for her family here though.

And Sky tv seems to be big on Royal stuff, which surprises me in a different way.

I think all media are looking to provide whatever sells, and this was the week for this to be “big” and they didn’t go there.

I agree, printed magazines are not popular - if it's not online, people will not bother. Women's magazines, in particular, are only popular for those 55+. I'm 42 and have no desire to buy or read women's magazines as I read all my news online. Same with most of my cohort and especially for those under 35.

I only saw one article on the Australian news sites regarding the church service, and that's no surprise. The Proclamation was headline news last Monday and then fizzled out by Wednesday.

I find it hard to believe there is such little interest in Mary down under given the plethora of news clips I watched on youtube covering the entirety of events surrounding the change of throne including havebubg multiple reporters in Copenhagen five first hand reports.

I mean lighting up buildings and bridges in a country on the other side of the world when one of their own becomes Queen in a far away European country would seem to imply not only interest but pride and excitement.

I don't think print publications can't be used to measure interest in anything these days.

There was in the lead up and on the day, but us Aussies are really laid back and understand she's Queen of Denmark, not Australia. The Australian and Tasmanian governments gifted Mary and Frederik a token gift; we were thrilled an Aussie is Queen, and we love to light up buildings etc when one of our own does well overseas - any excuse! But as quickly as we celebrated we also went back to our daily lives. Honestly, if there were natural disasters, like bushfire etc, the coverage would have been very little. We're in summer holiday mode in January, so resources were available to cover it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom