Queen Margrethe II announces Abdication for January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If true, it would be classic Margrethe-style. Why communicate important things carefully and well in advance if you can also spring it on them last minute.

Last edited:
Wow, that is last minute. A big surprise for Frederik then indeed and, after the Christmas celebrations they had together.

Does that mean Frederik knew nothing about the abdication until December 28? I find that hard to believe as practical preparations for the change of reign must have been in the works for a much longer period of time.

I too find it hard to believe that Frederik only found out on the 28th Dec - 3 days before announcing it to the world. Perhaps Joachim found out then, but I couldn't believe Frederik only being told then

The Proclamation of a new monarch after the death of the current is certainly planned out, but would an abdication have such careful pre-planning if it was "out of the blue"? True, it's only one or two more things that need to occur, but still....

Does that mean Frederik knew nothing about the abdication until December 28? I find that hard to believe as practical preparations for the change of reign must have been in the works for a much longer period of time.

I also find it hard to believe that QMII sprung this on Frederik, Mary and Christian specifically 3 days before he public announcement. Regardless of whether plans have been in place in case of a sudden death, the press releases that came out immediately after the announcement were quite specific and appeared to have been well-laid out and decided plans as to certain logistics related to titles, the court staff, etc. I find it hard to believe that a small group was aware of this upcoming decision and that group did not include Frederik and Mary at least.

Lene B. might be the director of communications, but she keeps proving she is not a clear communicator.

The staff changes alone suggest that Frederik and Mary had to know before then. I find it hard to believe that both (QM and F&M’s) staff personnel were given a few days to decide whether they stay or go. I also think F&M would need time to replace the openings for the staff that went with QM or who resigned. I think they added at least one new person.

Lene Balleby, the head of the royal press office, have confirmed to Berlingske Tidende that the Queen told both of her sons about her intention to abdicate on 28 December.

Thanks JR76 … good to have an official announcement on this.

Having read that Prince Joachim was informed of his mother’s abdication by a friend, this at least comes off a bit better.

I believe the short notice … whether decided so quickly or just the Queen keeping her cards close to her chest … was good, as it allowed weeks of speculation and hints leaking to be avoided, before the axe actually fell.

The trip down here never struck me as Mary coming down to personally inform her family … what difference does it make to their lives.

Nor does there seem to have been a nephew’s wedding.

No evidence either of a family get together.

Two people close to Mary were able to provide private space … here in Tassie and in New Zealand … away from Denmark and the goldfish bowl existence that that must be for her at times.

Such a small place and the so-called “tribe” Muhler has described … it must get hard.

And significant to Mary’s friends too, as both places launched as commercial ventures, so giving Mary a chance to join in that, not something that happens everyday.

So, to then return to Denmark, have Christmas together and then face this … I can believe the Royal Family members were as stunned as the rest of the country when they found out.

There is no way that QMII sprung this on Frederik and Mary on 12/28. NO way!

She is an incredibly cerebral individual and would have considered every possible ramification -- to her, to them, to Christian, to Joachim, et al ....

NO way!

There is no way that QMII sprung this on Frederik and Mary on 12/28. NO way!

She is an incredibly cerebral individual and would have considered every possible ramification -- to her, to them, to Christian, to Joachim, et al ....

NO way!

To be fair, it’s very possible they were prepared but did not know the exact time frame. The preparations would not look very different from other transition planning activities.

I have always believed that Queen Margrethe abdicated due to age and health problems after her back operation and that preparations were made over months. However, if the Queen sprang this on her family and others on the 28th December then that adds veritas to all the online and tabloid gossip that the abdication was due to the earlier events in Madrid. That’s a nice gift to all those glossy European gossip magazines!

What an insult to the Queen to think she would abdicate because of tabloid speculation. To think she would throw 52 years of loyalty and duty just because of tabloid rumors is an insult.
Maybe the final decision okay we are going live now came out the 28th but certainly discussions including Frederik were done well ahead of time. Heck didn't the Swedish royal family came out right away saying they already knew?

Glad Frederik was able to join Mary in the December vacation to New Zealand since we now know they will be busier.

Lene Balleby, the head of the royal press office, have confirmed to Berlingske Tidende that the Queen told both of her sons about her intention to abdicate on 28 December.

Assuming for argument's sake that the plans for abdication had been in the works for at least one month, maybe two by that point...that is shockingly late to tell your heir that he's about to become king in three weeks. Not sure I agree with that decision.

What an insult to the Queen to think she would abdicate because of tabloid speculation. To think she would throw 52 years of loyalty and duty just because of tabloid rumors is an insult.
Maybe the final decision okay we are going live now came out the 28th but certainly discussions including Frederik were done well ahead of time. Heck didn't the Swedish royal family came out right away saying they already knew?

Glad Frederik was able to join Mary in the December vacation to New Zealand since we now know they will be busier.

Curryong was merely pointing out that the Danish Royal press secretary confirming that Frederik and Joachim being told of the abdication on 28th December will fuel the speculation in gossip mags that she abdicated because of the rumours. Surely being an experience Press Secretary meant she would have known NOT to confirm such a date! She should have kept quiet imho

I have always believed that Queen Margrethe abdicated due to age and health problems after her back operation and that preparations were made over months. However, if the Queen sprang this on her family and others on the 28th December then that adds veritas to all the online and tabloid gossip that the abdication was due to the earlier events in Madrid. That’s a nice gift to all those glossy European gossip magazines!

A “nice gift” indeed Curryong. More fuel for that to keep burning along.

And why can’t it be true … the information that the Royal family members were only told a couple of days before the nation … those posters upthread finding this hard to believe.

Why would the Palace lie … and use poor Ms Balleby to do so?

What would be the purpose, especially if it adds to speculation around the reasons for the Abdication.

Or, has Lene gone rogue and took it upon herself to say this … but it isn’t true.

Again, to what purpose?

Both ideas are weird to me.

I believe the official statement.

Last edited:
If this is true, that QM only informed Frederik on Dec 28, it will open the gates for all kind of speculations. Certainly in relation to 'Madridgate', but also what kind of dynamic is to be found within the family. 'Titlegate' already gave us a glimpse of it.

I made a comment earlier that I was not surprised if Joachim had only found out via televised speech and now it seems a possible reality.

Such conduct of a Head of State and Head of Family is very 'special' indeed.

My sense is that preparations had been on for a change of reign for some time. Moving Joachim and Marie overseas, removal of titles of Joachim's children were all steps is that direction, with a view to giving Frederik & Mary a "clear space" to begin their reign.

Some of you recall the wording around the press release around Christian's birthdat relating to the apanage. I forget the exact words, but it seemed to suggest that he would not accept any till he was 21 (or was it till he was in full time education?) or if there was a change in reign. Another clear sign.

I also think the trip to Aus & NZ was a planned, relaxed trip, in preparation for what was to come.

So on balance, it is entriely possible that Joachim was told on 28 Dec, and it is possible F&M were told formally on 28 Dec, but my own sense is that F&M know about this for some time.

My sense is that preparations had been on for a change of reign for some time. Moving Joachim and Marie overseas, removal of titles of Joachim's children were all steps is that direction, with a view to giving Frederik & Mary a "clear space" to begin their reign.

Some of you recall the wording around the press release around Christian's birthdat relating to the apanage. I forget the exact words, but it seemed to suggest that he would not accept any till he was 21 (or was it till he was in full time education?) or if there was a change in reign. Another clear sign.

I also think the trip to Aus & NZ was a planned, relaxed trip, in preparation for what was to come.

So on balance, it is entriely possible that Joachim was told on 28 Dec, and it is possible F&M were told formally on 28 Dec, but my own sense is that F&M know about this for some time.

On top of that, as pointed out by other posters, the detailed staff changes in the Royal Household that were announced almost immediately after the New Year's speech indicate that a blueprint for the organization of the Household following an abdication had been in place for quite some time. I don't think it would have been possible to draw up such plans without involving the Crown Prince's staff.

Even if those were just contingency plans, they indicate that abdication was at least considered as a possible scenario long before December 28.

Last edited:

I concur with your points here!

This seems to be the (paywalled) Berlingske Tidende article.

https://www.berlingske.dk/kongehus/...en-over-for-berlingske-kronprins-frederik-fik

In this case, I don't see why the palace spokeswoman would state it if it were not true.
Is there a translation of the passage regarding the notification?

I think it is interesting that Lene Balleby "confirmed" that Frederik and Joachim were informed on December 28. That suggests that someone provided / leaked this factoid to Berlingske and they in turn contacted press office.

Again, I would like to see a translation of the passage in hopes that I can understand the context.

On top of that, as pointed out by other posters, the detailed staff changes in the Royal Household that were announced almost immediately after the New Year's speeches indicate that a blueprint for the organization of the Household following an abdication had been in place for quite some time. I don't think it would have been possible to draw up such plans without involving the Crown Prince's staff.

Even if those were just contingency plans, they indicate that abdication was at least considered as a possible scenario long before December 28.

It could have been a similar scenario like 'London Bridge' for the late QEII, it was rehearsed and planned almost decades before her death.
So it could be perfectly possible that everything was in place and lets say, updated once a year and therefore QM only told everybody what she had in mind on Dec 28. So Frederik will certainly have been involved in all of this but was only told 'its a go' 3 weeks before.

On top of that, as pointed out by other posters, the detailed staff changes in the Royal Household that were announced almost immediately after the New Year's speeches indicate that a blueprint for the organization of the Household following an abdication had been in place for quite some time. I don't think it would have been possible to draw up such plans without involving the Crown Prince's staff.

Quite right. The changes of personnel were not agreed between 28 December and the new year. These changes would have taken some time to consider.

Even more as they where together for Christmas. But then if Margrethe had suddenly died then also nothing would have been prepared.

Considering that the queen had an important surgery last year, several of those arrangements could have been pre-established, in case of her death in it. Even there's always a protocol.

Still weird that Frederik did't knew about the abdication until December 28.

Very much agree, the signs for those who follow the DRF were showing up and adding up.

more about the interpretation about Frederik and Joachim being informed on the decision
"But royal house expert Marianne Singer sticks to the wording "informed both the crown prince and Prince Joachim about the decision" - here with the focus on the 'decision' and thus not overall 'change of throne' and 'abdication'.
According to Marianne Singer, it created a space for the queen to have discussed her thoughts and the idea of ​​abdicating with her sons, but only notified them of the final decision on December 28."
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...usets-udmelding-men-saa-naerlaeste-hun-den-og

the Danish press have also highlighted Frederik speech to the Queen in 2022
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...dronning-margrethe-og-resten-af-verden-jeg-er

"This is what Frederik said in the speech at Christiansborg Castle on 11 September 2022:
” … You can be sure that when the time comes, I will lead the ship forward with what we have shared as ballast. I will carry it forward with honor, with care and with an eye that the stars will always shine and guide me as they have guided you and others before us.”"

Very much agree, the signs for those who follow the DRF were showing up and adding up.

more about the interpretation about Frederik and Joachim being informed on the decision
"But royal house expert Marianne Singer sticks to the wording "informed both the crown prince and Prince Joachim about the decision" - here with the focus on the 'decision' and thus not overall 'change of throne' and 'abdication'.
According to Marianne Singer, it created a space for the queen to have discussed her thoughts and the idea of ​​abdicating with her sons, but only notified them of the final decision on December 28."
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...usets-udmelding-men-saa-naerlaeste-hun-den-og

the Danish press have also highlighted Frederik speech to the Queen in 2022
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...dronning-margrethe-og-resten-af-verden-jeg-er

"This is what Frederik said in the speech at Christiansborg Castle on 11 September 2022:
” … You can be sure that when the time comes, I will lead the ship forward with what we have shared as ballast. I will carry it forward with honor, with care and with an eye that the stars will always shine and guide me as they have guided you and others before us.”"

Given she underwent such a major surgery in February and given all the risks involved, in addition to other underlying health issues - It is probable that, prior to the surgery, any and all plans that would do go into effect in case anything happened were reviewed and, if needed, updated. It would only make sense given the circumstances.

When I saw the announcement I immediately recalled the jubilee speech. That was a speech that, yes, celebrated his mother, but it also cemented his readiness to take the helm. That he knows there can only be one captain at a time, and that she was the captain, but that he was ready, willing and able to take over and continue the monarchy forward. It was also a good way to remind everyone that while they are very different, they still adhere to the traditions that have been in place for a millennia. So it was a way to say that you have can both - modernity and tradition. Still remember what an amazing speech that was and how praised he was for it. I think the idea may have been floating around in the consciousness but after the surgery and rehab with some self-reflection she came to he decision. I don't think she suddenly decided, sprung it on everyone in the span of 72 hours.

Considering that the queen had an important surgery last year, several of those arrangements could have been pre-established, in case of her death in it. Even there's always a protocol.

Still weird that Frederik didn't knew about the abdication until December 28.

QMII possibly waited to the very end to give up a date for the abdication so anyone that suspected it could not be 100% sure if it would be in 2024, 2025, etc. I assume she finally came to terms that her health and recovery are a priority to longevity.

Hope this is a good example for the future that monarchs should be allowed to retire in their senior years, which is when we all start feeling the effects of age, and make this a positive moment and not a giving up the crown moment.

For me, she retires with dignity and in the grand style we are used to see from her. She decided and hope we will have her around for many years in good health and showing up at royal events in the full glam she is known for.

QMII possibly waited to the very end to give up a date for the abdication so anyone that suspected it could not be 100% sure if it would be in 2024, 2025, etc. I assume she finally came to terms that her health and recovery are a priority to longevity.

Hope this is a good example for the future that monarchs should be allowed to retire in their senior years, which is when we all start feeling the effects of age, and make this a positive moment and not a giving up the crown moment.

For me, she retires with dignity and in the grand style we are used to see from her. She decided and hope we will have her around for many years in good health and showing up at royal events in the full glam she is known for.

I'm reminded of the last Christmas my grandmother celebrated in her home before moving to an assisted living center. She asked all of her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren to come to a Christmas Eve party, decorated the house to the fullest, baked every delicious treat we all loved, gave a speech about how much she appreciated that we were all in her life, and then a week later announced that she was moving into an assisted living center. She'd been thinking about it the whole time, but by having one last "event," she felt she could close the door on that chapter of her life and start a new one.

Margrethe has done everything she could for Denmark, and now she's ready to let someone else take the reign/reigns.

I cannot imagine QMII just out of the blue announcing to her family: BTW I'm abdicating in two weeks.

I believe the official announcement to her family on the 28th was just that, the official "go". - As others have already pointed out here.

There are contingency plans for when a monarch dies. They need a little adjustment and then you follow the schedule outlined in the plan. An abdication is another matter!
We haven't had an abdication in almost 1.000 years. We had a king who was "abdicated" in the early 1500s, but he was held captive by a pretender. So that one really doesn't count.

It appears to be clear that QMII at least aired the idea to at least the Swedish King, and no doubt the Norwegian King as well, as they are very close friends.
It takes some consideration, planning, investigation, sounding out the politicians (perhaps the PM planned to called a general election or some other major political event, whatever), checking the legal implications. In other words: A lot of considerations needed to be taken.

And that at the very least would have involved Frederik. Also because it means that senior members of his staff are going to over in only two weeks after this announcement. Nah, don't believe that one.

I think QMII pondered about an abdication. Made initial and confidential soundings to her senior staff and advisors, sounded out the government and naturally sounded out Frederik. And I doubt Mary was left out.
Then she decided to abdicate if it was legally and practically possible at that given date etc. Her staff and advisors were figuring out how to go about and plan the abdication.
And then when everything was ready she - officially - informed her family and the PM. (Who I firmly believe was notified unofficially a long time before.)
With that said QMII could announce it in her New Year speech. - And keep in mind that at least the major network DR1, that showed her speech live, would have been informed in advance as well, because they write subtitles for the hearing impaired.

The open question is of course whether Joachim and Benedikte was informed unofficially some time back. Personally I can't see any reason why they shouldn't have. But there has been enough squabble within the DRF recently for me to only consider that very plausible.

I do not for one single moment believe Madrid in any way influenced QMII. That hardly caused a ripple in DK anyway and I assume you read the polls. This abdication has full public backing and so have M&F.
The wheels were IMO already turning before Frederik even went to Madrid.
And as for saving M&F's marriage. Well, I'm very careful and cannot say with 100 % certainty - yet - that their relationship has changed after Madrid. However I did notice M&F exchange glances and Mary didn't look like she wanted to kill Frederik or divorce him anytime soon. So I doubt very much QMII's hand was there either.
- At worst it would actually more likely have cancelled or postponed a planned abdication because QMII would have had to deal with a major crisis within the DRF or would have given M&F the time to sort their relationship out.
M&F so much needs to be a team right now!

So IMO this has been months in the making.

I do not for one single moment believe Madrid in any way influenced QMII. That hardly caused a ripple in DK anyway and I assume you read the polls. This abdication has full public backing and so have M&F.
The wheels were IMO already turning before Frederik even went to Madrid.
And as for saving M&F's marriage. Well, I'm very careful and cannot say with 100 % certainty - yet - that their relationship has changed after Madrid. However, I did notice M&F exchange glances and Mary didn't look like she wanted to kill Frederik or divorce him anytime soon. So I doubt very much QMII's hand was there either.
- At worst it would actually more likely have canceled or postponed a planned abdication because QMII would have had to deal with a major crisis within the DRF or would have given M&F the time to sort their relationship out.
M&F so much needs to be a team right now!

So IMO this has been months in the making.

Well, we don't know how she looks at him when cameras aren't pointed at them. That said, I agree that QMII's decision had absolutely nothing to do with what may or may not have happened in Spain. That would be an utterly ridiculous reason to abdicate.

I believe in most European monarchies there are contingency's in place, and reviewed as needed, regarding the ascension of a new sovereign. Usually in terms of the demise of a sovereign rather than abdication. It is my belief that these plans would have been reviewed thoroughly before QMII had her back surgery as a "just in case." I also believe that around that time is when the notion of regency and/or abdication started to be discussed and planned for. As in, what if HM had complications resulting from the surgery that left her physically and/or mentally unable to do her duties.

During the Dec 31st, 2022 NYE speech HM wore her daisy brooch then too. Part of me wonders if she was pondering making an announcement then but changed her mind. Either way, I firmly believe that the notion of QMII's demise and/or abdication has been in discussion phases for awhile. There are many clues from the past two-ish years pointing towards it. But I also believe, knowing QMII's style, that it is possible she decided to finally make her decision in December and formally sprang it on her family with short notice. She does not like to linger and likes to just get things done.

Either way, I highly doubt that the "madrid situation" would have had anything to do in terms of her making her decision. I have a suspicion we will find it in due time that HM's health has been far worse then let on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom