Queen Margrethe II announces Abdication for January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the national anthem they sang for her - full length.

I'm sure she appreciated this gesture of endearment.

Congratulations on your first 1.000 posts :flowers:

Not credible sources.
But apart from the official explanation, it is the one that is most widely speculated on here in DK as being a main reason for QMII abdicating.
It is only that though, speculations.

Anyway, those in the know wouldn't say anything. They risk not only their jobs but jail-time.

One thousand posts and counting! ?

Jail time? Would that be considered a lèse-majesté violation?

I do hope QMII is well and that the gossip rags don't turn her life into a "death watch."

One thousand posts and counting! ?

Jail time? Would that be considered a lèse-majesté violation?

I do hope QMII is well and that the gossip rags don't turn her life into a "death watch."

Probably that as well. It would increase the sentence automatically.
But jail time because it's a very serious breach of confidentiality of people in an entrusted position to disclose such extremely personal details about someone's health. Not least the head of state.
They would undoubtedly also have signed a pledge of confidentiality and breaching that is a criminal offense.

The editor of any Danish media deciding to publish such information would be even more likely to end up in prison - and lose his job.
The excuse of "public interest" and "a higher cause" is not enough reason to publish private health records.

----------------

Bedtime.

14 hours to go and we have a new monarch.

Last edited:
Probably that as well. It would increase the sentence automatically.
But jail time because it's a very serious breach of confidentiality of people in an entrusted position to disclose such extremely personal details about someone's health. Not least the head of state.
They would undoubtedly also have signed a pledge of confidentiality and breaching that is a criminal offense.

The editor of any Danish media deciding to publish such information would be even more likely to end up in prison - and lose his job.
The excuse of "public interest" and "a higher cause" is not enough reason to publish private health records.

Ah, I understand. I remember discussion about similar penalties if someone had published something about Prince Henrik, especially after the court announced his dementia diagnosis. (I think, though, that some of that was because he was considered a protected class, because of his diagnosis.)

Totally different situations. Queen Margrethe is/was a Queen Regnant and Queen Elizabeth was a Queen Consort, and only Queen Consorts can become a Queen Mother.

Queen Mother and King Father have been used by abdicated monarchs of Spain who were succeeded by their children (though not by the current king emeritus).

Very OT, but had Q.Elizabeth II been a man, wouldn't the queen mother have been called 'King Mother' instead?

PS. i'm sure that doesn't 'sound' right in Danish either ?

No, because she was a "Queen" who was the mother of the monarch, who just happened to be a Queen Regnant. Queen Alexandra was also called "Queen Mother" occasionally, as was Queen Mary. The only difference is that QEQM used it as her official title.

A few more hours and the world no longer has a reigning queen. Most likelly we will have to wait until Victoria's ascension as queen of Sweden for the next reigning queen.

A few more hours and the world no longer has a reigning queen. Most likelly we will have to wait until Victoria's ascension as queen of Sweden for the next reigning queen.

Or any female monarch at all, elected or hereditary. I wonder if that has ever occurred before.

Or any female monarch at all, elected or hereditary. I wonder if that has ever occurred before.

The good news is, within a generation or so, there will be a lot of Queen Regnants. Spain, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, and the Netherlands all have female heirs apparent, and in Sweden's case, it'll be two Queens Regnant in a row.

The soon-to-be Crown Prince Christian will be the odd man out! :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom