Prince Ludwig of Bavaria and Sophie-Alexandra Evekink; 20 May 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No photos from Alois and Sophie at pre wedding gala :sad:
No it seems they did not attend it. Also Margarita and Radu of Romania did not attend.

It surprised me that Duke Max attended without his wife Duchess Elisabeth. I hope she is well. Out of their five daughters, it's Elisabeth who seems to attend the most aristocratic weddings, while I don't remember Helene or Maria Carolina attending any weddings.
I didn't pay much attention to the men, but was the groom's brother Prince Karl there?

It surprised me that Duke Max attended without his wife Duchess Elisabeth. I hope she is well.

She lost her husband, Count Gustaf Douglas, less than three weeks before the wedding. She might not have felt well enough to be at least pleasant at the wedding, and it would been quite understandable.

It surprised me that Duke Max attended without his wife Duchess Elisabeth. I hope she is well. Out of their five daughters, it's Elisabeth who seems to attend the most aristocratic weddings, while I don't remember Helene or Maria Carolina attending any weddings.
I didn't pay much attention to the men, but was the groom's brother Prince Karl there?

Yes the grooms brother Karl was there with his new wife whom he married in January in Mexico. Could also be that Duchess Elisabeth attended the Arco Wedding which took place on the same day. Duchess Marie Caroline has often attended Wedding like the Prussia Wedding with her husband

She lost her husband, Count Gustaf Douglas, less than three weeks before the wedding. She might not have felt well enough to be at least pleasant at the wedding, and it would been quite understandable.
She lost her brother, not her husband.

Yes the grooms brother Karl was there with his new wife whom he married in January in Mexico. Could also be that Duchess Elisabeth attended the Arco Wedding which took place on the same day. Duchess Marie Caroline has often attended Wedding like the Prussia Wedding with her husband
My bad, I meant Maria Anna, the youngest.

Thanks, it's nice to know that Prince Karl and his new wife were there.

It's a pity, that the mother of the groom wasn't see, I wonder what tiara she might have worn. Even Princess Henriette, the groom's sister-in-law seems to have worn a diamond tiara I didn't recognize. The groom's sister Alice, now Princess of Auersperg wore another jewel I hadn't seen before, but the other sister Princess Auguste zur Lippe-Weissenfeld didn't wear a tiara.

Yes it is unfortunate that we didn't see Princess Beatrix. Perhaps she was there early. I heard that she is rather private.
One thing i know she hasn't worn the Lovers Knot tiaras as this was still on display at the Treasure at the Residence when i visited it 2,5 hours before the Gala. But then it hasn't been worn in public since decades.

I think the aigrette worn by Princess Alice could also have been from the Auersperg Family and Princess Henriette seems to have worn a converted necklace or bracelet. What i also found interesting was the emeralds worn by Princess Tatiana. Wonder if they are Family Jewels or loans.

Thanks, it's nice to know that Prince Karl and his new wife were there.
I have a pic of them on my Instagram from the morning but have missed them at the evening (there is a pic of them in Bunte from the Gala)

Last edited:
Seems that while the Brits are dressing down - i.e. no tiaras at the Coronation - the Europeans have no problem being seen in their tiaras. Good for them.

But Britain is as European as Germany is, and although the house of Bavaria does receive certain legal privileges and funding from the state as discussed upthread, I am not sure it is fair to compare them to an internationally scrutinized sovereign family. It may be more appropriate to compare to whether British dukes outside the royal family (such as the Duke of Westminster) hold tiara events for their weddings.

Tatiana Maria said:
It may be more appropriate to compare to whether British dukes outside the royal family (such as the Duke of Westminster) hold tiara events for their weddings.

Hmmm, but the Westminsters were never reallly Royal. There was not King from the House of Westminster!

Germany on the other hand was part of an European Empire with some Royal and Imperial Houses. Bavaria with its own Royal House was until quite recently a Kingdom in its own right!

But I like Tiaras - they look cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
The tiara of the Princess de Ligne I don't remember seeing before. The one her daughter is wearing is familiar, but the ruby or spinel and diamond stars are new to me.

If the mother of the countess of Dreux is wearing real emeralds they must be worth a fortune.

Princess Anna of Bavaria née Berleburg seems to be weating a fringe tiara that we have seen her with before. Does it belong to her own family or to her in-laws?

Wonderful to see the Hesse tiara, even without the stars.

Pss Fiametta of Arenberg is wearing an impressive piece. I don't remember seeing it before either.

The princess of Saxe-Gesaphe, née Pss Gisele of Bavaria seems to be wearing a converted ruby and diamond bracelet.

The emerald parure of the wife of Prince Wolfgang of Bavaria seems impressive.

I thought Pss Marie Caroline of Bavaria received the ruby and diamond parure from her in-laws. She wore it at her daughters wedding IIRC. But considering the divorce I can see why she would prefer not to wear them. The daisy tiara is lovely.

Although we have seen them more often recently, the Hannover flower and the Prussian tiaras are magnificent.

And then there was Queen Amelia's diamond tiara, for the first time outside of Portugal.

Thank you very much for this treasure trove of photos Stefan, what a joy to see so many tiaras at once. And even more so as many of these pieces are less well known than those of the reiging houses.

Last edited:
Princess Marie Caroline and Duke Philipp of Wurtenberg are divorced. She will not wear Wurtenberg jewels anymore.

You are right the Princess de Ligne tiara must be a loan , never seen before.

Archuchess Gabriela of Habsbourg is High Protector of the Order of the Starry Cross. She did not wear her Order her Motther Archiduchess Regina always wore .

Last edited:
Princess Anna of Bavaria's fringy tiara has been worn by her mother before, also by her sister-in-law Camilla Countess Schenk von Stauffenberg and her sister Theodora-Louise. I assume that it is an heirloom from the Wachtmeister family, since the tiara was never seen on cousins from the SWB family.

It's such a pity that the sunburst tiara of that branch of the Bavarian family had to be sold. Seeing Princess Ursula without it is still such a disappointment.

The tiara of the Princess de Ligne I don't remember seeing before. The one her daughter is wearing is familiar, but the ruby or spinel and diamond stars are new to me.

If the mother of the countess of Dreux is wearing real emeralds they must be worth a fortune.

Princess Anna of Bavaria née Berleburg seems to be weating a fringe tiara that we have seen her with before. Does it belong to her own family or to her in-laws?

Wonderful to see the Hesse tiara, even without the stars.

Pss Fiametta of Arenberg is wearing an impressive piece. I don't remember seeing it before either.

The princess of Saxe-Gesaphe, née Pss Gisele of Bavaria seems to be wearing a converted ruby and diamond bracelet.

The emerald parure of the wife of Prince Wolfgang of Bavaria seems impressive.

I thought Pss Marie Caroline of Bavaria received the ruby and diamond parure from her in-laws. She wore it at her daughters wedding IIRC. But considering the divorce I can see why she would prefer not to wear them. The daisy tiara is lovely.

Although we have seen them more often recently, the Hannover flower and the Prussian tiaras are magnificent.

And then there was Queen Amelia's diamond tiara, for the first time outside of Portugal.

Thank you very much for this treasure trove of photos Stefan, what a joy to see so many tiaras at once. And even more so as many of these pieces are less well known than those of the reiging houses.
The tiara Alix de Ligne wore to the wedding was the one she wore on her wedding day, but yes the ruby star tiara is a fairly new piece as we’ve never seen it before on The Princess de Ligne.

The Arenberg family’s collection of jewels aren’t so well known so yes this tiara was a surprise too. But Prince Pierre from the French branch of the Arenberg family has a flowery tiara that represents the heraldic flowers on the family’s coat of arms.

Maybe, Marie-Caroline was loaned the tiara for her daughters wedding, but not given out right ownership of the tiara.

Last edited:
Princess Anna of Bavaria's fringy tiara has been worn by her mother before, also by her sister-in-law Camilla Countess Schenk von Stauffenberg and her sister Theodora-Louise. I assume that it is an heirloom from the Wachtmeister family, since the tiara was never seen on cousins from the SWB family.

It's such a pity that the sunburst tiara of that branch of the Bavarian family had to be sold. Seeing Princess Ursula without it is still such a disappointment.
The sunburst tiara wasn’t that nice anyways, if only they had dismantled it to make a nicer tiara. Plus they sold Queen Amalia of Bavaria’s amethyst parure in 2013

Last edited:
The sunburst tiara wasn’t that nice anyways, if only they had dismantled it to make a nicer tiara. Plus they sold they sold Queen Amalia of Bavaria’s amethyst parure in 2013
Maybe it wasn't the most pleasing design, but it's historic value was immense. It would positively have been a crime to dismantle a tiara of with such a long royal history.

Maybe it wasn't the most pleasing design, but it's historic value was immense. It would positively have been a crime to dismantle a tiara of with such a long royal history.
I’m saying dismantle it and remake into a nicer tiara because the last time I saw a pic of Ursula wearing it, I didn’t think it looked good on her or on her daughter on her wedding day because of the way they wore it and it was too big. Plus it was a personal gift from one of the junior lines of the Spanish royal house not really that important historically. But the amethysts were nice, at least they should have kept the amethyst parure.

Back
Top Bottom