The Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla, 6 May 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems the dresscode for royal guests was set at formal white daywear (long dress), like the British royal ladies wore, the traditional court dress. For the Coronation Queen Máxima ordered a floor length white gown with her favourite couturier for long robes: Jan Taminiau.

I find it hard to believe that the British court would have communicated a particular dress code to the foreign royal guests and then changed it thereafter at short notice.

Maybe Queen Maxima anticipated by mistake that the dress code would be white long dress and rushed into ordering a gown from Jan Taminiau.

I haven't seen any other evidence of a change in dress code other than Taminiau cutting a few inches off Max's gown.

I find it hard to believe that the British court would have communicated a particular dress code to the foreign royal guests and then changed it thereafter at short notice.

Maybe Queen Maxima anticipated by mistake that the dress code would be white long dress and rushed into ordering a gown from Jan Taminiau.

Agree with you

This sounds very plausible.

Wouldn’t that mean that Queen Maxima was too impatient to wait for the dress code to be given via the formal invitation or that she (and her dresser) misread the instructions given about the dress code? That seems a bit improbable to me.

Possibly she simply liked the idea of a white outfit and went for that, opting for a longer gown in case that was the dress code with the easy option of making it shorter by cutting some off it.
I don't believe even the British Royal Household would have sent one dress code then changed their minds, I think once it was decided it would have been stuck to. I can well believe it may have been communicated quite late on (the formal printed card invites only went out weeks before but almost certainly less formal communication will have been sent sooner) so maybe Maxima had an appointment with Taminiau anyway so chose an outfit that would suit the "maximum" dress code but could be easily changed to "day dress" if needed.

Stephen Fry's thoughtful interpretation as someone on the spot.

Well I'm late to posting but I saw the coronation on CSPAN and they did a great job reporting on it! No personal comments just information on the details of the service.

Anyone know if any of the Lascelles Family was there ? Queen Elizabeth's Aunt, Princess Mary, descendants. The Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood.

Queen Elizabeth's other cousins are obviously there. Working members, except Prince Michael. The Dukes of Gloucester and Kent, and Princess Alexandra and Prince Michael of Kent. QEll's first cousins. Even non working Prince Michael of Kents two children are at The Coronation.

Princess Mary's two sons, (QE 1st Cousins) George and Gerald and are both dead. George Lascelles, Earl Harewood died in 2011 at age 88. He was 3 years older than Queen Elizabeth 11.

His son "David" Lascelles born in 1950 is the present Earl. Never EVER see them at any events for the extended Windsor Family such as the pre Christmas Lunch. He is 2 years younger than Charles.

The Princess Royal, Mary died at age 67 in 1965. It seems after her death The Lascelles Family dropped of Royal radar. Interesting to me the stark contrast then, between HRH and non HRH Family Members. Seems different now.

That side of the family, The Lascelles are VERY interesting.
They weren’t invited. I don’t believe they are close to the Windsors. The kinship is quite distant today. Those Lascelles are female line descendants from a Princess who died in 1965.

The current Earl of Harewood is the exact same relationship to Charles III as the Earl of Ulster, Lady Rose, Lady Davina, the Earl of St Andrews, Lady Helen, Lord Nicholas, Lord Frederick, Lady Gabriella, James Ogilvy and Marina Zanouska - the child of the late Queen's first cousin or great-grandchildren of George V, just like Charles himself.

Mary died in 1965 but her brothers died in 1942 and 1974 and those brothers' children are quite close to Charles while Mary's descendants have largely been cut out of the family - not because they are 'more distantly' related but due to divorces and illegitimate children and the late Queen Mum and the late Queen, in the 60s and 70s were loathe to accept such people in the 'inner circle' of the royal family. Times have changed and divorce is now accepted even if illegitimate children aren't an issue other than for the Harewood's.

The current Earl of Harewood is the exact same relationship to Charles III as the Earl of Ulster, Lady Rose, Lady Davina, the Earl of St Andrews, Lady Helen, Lord Nicholas, Lord Frederick, Lady Gabriella, James Ogilvy and Marina Zanouska - the child of the late Queen's first cousin or great-grandchildren of George V, just like Charles himself.

Mary died in 1965 but her brothers died in 1942 and 1974 and those brothers' children are quite close to Charles while Mary's descendants have largely been cut out of the family - not because they are 'more distantly' related but due to divorces and illegitimate children and the late Queen Mum and the late Queen, in the 60s and 70s were loathe to accept such people in the 'inner circle' of the royal family. Times have changed and divorce is now accepted even if illegitimate children aren't an issue other than for the Harewood's.
I didn’t just mean in terms of kinship, I also meant that they weren’t close to Princess Mary’s descendants in comparison to the Kent’s and Gloucesters. The current Dukes and Duchesses of Gloucester and Kent undertook royal duties, the Princess Royal, Countess may have done duties many years ago, but her children never did as were not royal. Plus the Kent’s and Gloucesters live in London, the Harewoods don’t live in London. Plus the lifestyles of some of the Harewood’s

I didn’t just mean in terms of kinship, I also meant that they weren’t close to Princess Mary’s descendants in comparison to the Kent’s and Gloucesters. The current Dukes and Duchesses of Gloucester and Kent undertook royal duties, the Princess Royal, Countess may have done duties many years ago, but her children never did as were not royal. Plus the Kent’s and Gloucesters live in London, the Harewoods don’t live in London. Plus the lifestyles of some of the Harewood’s

The late Princess Royal was a very hard working royal.

Her eldest son did serve as a Counsellor of State a number of times early in the reign of the late Queen and did accompany his mother to many engagements as did his first wife - much like Tim Laurence does now.

The late Princess Royal was a very hard working royal.

Her eldest son did serve as a Counsellor of State a number of times early in the reign of the late Queen and did accompany his mother to many engagements as did his first wife - much like Tim Laurence does now.
I’m talking about Princess Mary’s grand children and great-grandchildren, they aren’t really close to the BRF and live privately, some of them don’t like the BRF. In short they aren’t close to the current generation of Harewoods.

:previous: The costumes are fabulous! I especially like Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria.

Back
Top Bottom