Prince Christian's confirmation: May 15, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the middle of the confirmation season.

And celebrate in private with due regards to the Corona restrictions, can only means that it will be a family affair only. I.e. few, if any at all foreign guests and representatives for the official Denmark. Which we might otherwise expect since Christian is a future heir.

A pity.

I think we can rule out any Swedish guests. The border is still closed except for those Swedes with valid reasons and it'd be very bad optics for Victoria to travel abroad when the authorities still recommend us to stay at home.

I'm glad we got a date now. Even with a scaled down version I'm sure it will be a special day.
At the same church Frederik did his confirmation 40 years ago.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...til-konfirmation-her-er-deres-stoerste-oenske

In the middle of the confirmation season.

And celebrate in private with due regards to the Corona restrictions, can only means that it will be a family affair only. I.e. few, if any at all foreign guests and representatives for the official Denmark. Which we might otherwise expect since Christian is a future heir.

A pity.

What are the restrictions to travel to Denmark?
I'm thinking it will be only family, but we still have Joachim (who has traveled to and from Denmark a couple of times) and grandpa John abroad.

On another note, the Queen 1955 and Crown Prince Frederik 1981, at their confirmations.
https://berlingske.bmcdn.dk/media/c...9/6426571-dronning-margrethe-konfirmation.jpg
https://billedbladet-prod.imgix.net/s3fs-public/storage_1/media/f5.jpg?ixlib=imgixjs-3.4.0

Last edited by a moderator:
He'll probably get twice the presents to make up for it?

Since they will celebrate it in private because of the Corona restrictions, are they going to release pictures? I hope they do.

There will be some official pictures and a photo-shoot outside the church, albeit probably with only a few photographers - I can't imagine otherwise.
But hardly anything from the private party.

What are the restrictions to travel to Denmark?
I'm thinking it will be only family, but we still have Joachim (who has traveled to and from Denmark a couple of times) and grandpa John abroad.

Difficult to say right now as the restrictions could change between now and 15 May.

For Joachim, Marie and the kids it shouldn't be a problem. They're Danish citizens and although it's strongly recommended that Danes living abroad stay where they are, that hasn't exactly stopped them from going back and forth before. As for John and Susan, I'm not sure where they live right now so depending on whether the current restrictions are eased, them getting in and out could be a problem.

Interestingly, doesn't Pavlos have a Danish diplomatic passport? If so, at least one international godparent should be able to make it into the country as well even if the current restrictions are in place on 15 May, right? :lol:

Would postponing the confirmation until large gatherings are possible have been a viable option, or would that be impractical or controversial?

It is a pity that Princess Mary's family will not be able to be present at Prince Christian's confirmation.
Will at least Princess Mary's father and stepmother be able to attend?

Will Prince Christian make his first speech on confirmation day?

Would postponing the confirmation until large gatherings are possible have been a viable option, or would that be impractical or controversial?

I think that was their original plan, since it has already been postponed once. He was originally suppose to be confirmed in Spring 2020. :flowers:

There will be some official pictures and a photo-shoot outside the church, albeit probably with only a few photographers - I can't imagine otherwise.
But hardly anything from the private party.
Great:flowers: can't wait to see the pictures of our gorgeous teen Prince (both he and Gabriel of Belgium really grew up a lot in the last year or so, both became very tall and handsome).

Will Prince Christian make his first speech on confirmation day?

At the moment, the only thing we know about the confirmation is the date and the time.

Why should he make a speech?

At the moment, the only thing we know about the confirmation is the date and the time.

Why should he make a speech?

I only asked why Princess Ingrid-Alexandra, for example, made a speech when she made the confirmation.

I'm slightly baffled by the lack of information about Christian's confirmation considering there's less than two weeks to go now. I was sure they would've released further details by now but maybe the lack thereof is reflective of the scale of the event.
(..)

Se & Hør write today that, as expected, Christian's godmother Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden won't be present for the confirmation. A spokesperson for the Swedish court says:

Crown Princess Victoria would have liked to attend Prince Christian's confirmation. But taking the pandemic in consideration, Her Royal Highness unfortunately isn't able to be present for her godson's confirmation.

Billed Bladet have also got confirmation that no one from the Norwegian royal family will attend. But interestingly, when Se & Hør were in contact with a spokesperson from the Norwegian court earlier, they said:

We've been informed by the Danish court that the number of guests will depend on the Danish Health Authority's guidelines (...)

On 6 May, the indoors gathering limit will be raised from 10 to 25. So judging from the Norwegian spokesperson's comment, it seems to me that, not unlike the BRF at Prince Philip's funeral, the DRF have been forced to "prioritise" guests.

Anyone care to have a guess at the 25? :cool:

On 6 May, the indoors gathering limit will be raised from 10 to 25. So judging from the Norwegian spokesperson's comment, it seems to me that, not unlike at Prince Philip's funeral, the DRF have been forced to "prioritise" guests.

Does that 25 include the family of 6? What about a gathering/party/dinner/whatever outside in the garden? Is that more than 25?

A shame that Victoria and Haakon/Mette-Marit won't be able to make it but to be expected with covid guidelines still in place. Im assuming no one from Australia will be able to make it.

As for the 25, here are my guess.
1. Queen
2. Christian
3-7. Frederik, Mary and 3 kids
8-13. Joachim, Marie and 4 kids
14. Benedikte
15. Jeppe Handwerk (godparent and lives in DK)
16-18. Jeppe's wife and 2 daughters (the kids seem close)
19. Princess Alexandra (Benedikte's daughter, lives in Dk)
20. Countess Ingrid
21. maybe Grandpa John (do we know where he lives or has been staying the past year?)or Pavlos (godparent), they seem to have no problem traveling ; )
22.-25. maybe Peter Heering plus wife and daughters (kids seem close too)

(..)

Se & Hør write today that, as expected, Christian's godmother Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden won't be present for the confirmation. A spokesperson for the Swedish court says:

Billed Bladet have also got confirmation that no one from the Norwegian royal family will attend. But interestingly, when Se & Hør were in contact with a spokesperson from the Norwegian court earlier, they said:

On 6 May, the indoors gathering limit will be raised from 10 to 25. So judging from the Norwegian spokesperson's comment, it seems to me that, not unlike at Prince Philip's funeral, the DRF have been forced to "prioritise" guests.

Sounds a bit weird or does Sweden have travel restrictions?
Victoria has suffered from Covid and should show some immunity still only a couple of months after her infection. Why does she not attend?
Thanks if some Swedish are here and like to explain.
Feeling sorry for Christian.

Sounds a bit weird or does Sweden have travel restrictions?
Victoria has suffered from Covid and should show some immunity still only a couple of months after her infection. Why does she not attend?
Thanks if some Swedish are here and like to explain.
Feeling sorry for Christian.
To enter Denmark Victoria would need to have a valid reason for coming. She would also need a proof of vaccination or/and (?) take a negative test when entering the country.
Even if she was able to enter Denmark the Swedish authorities recommend against unnecessary travels and against private gatherings of more than eight people and I find it unlikely that she would go against these recommendations.

Last edited:
It's a pity that Christian's foreign godparents can't attend. But it's understandable given the current times. The confirmation of Sverre Magnus had the same fate, because Queen Maxima, CP Pavlos and Rosario of Bulgaria were not able to attend.

I hope more information is released. Anyone knows what kind of schedule the confirmation will have? I am not familiar with confirmations in Denmark. Ingrid Alexandra had a service, then a formal lunch (speeches and so), and a more private dinner (without cameras if my mind isn't paying tricks to me).

Last edited:
The godparents of Prince Christian are Prince Joachim, Jane Stephens (his maternal aunt), Prince Haakon, Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Victoria, Prince Pavlos and two friends of his parents: Jeppe Handwerk and Hamish Campbell.

It is possible that not everyone will be in Christian's confirmation. It is almost impossible, because of the pandemic.
Probably only Prince Joachim should participate in Christian's confirmation.

I hope we have more information on the confirmation soon.

The godparents of Prince Christian are Prince Joachim, Jane Stephens (his maternal aunt), Prince Haakon, Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Victoria, Prince Pavlos and two friends of his parents: Jeppe Handwerk and Hamish Campbell.

Probably only Prince Joachim should participate in Christian's confirmation.

Jeppe Handwerk lives in the Copenhagen area. He (and his family) should be able to attend.

I think the DRF waited for the politicians to negotiate the next phase in the reopening, before publishing details. The politicians agreed on the next phase late yesterday, to take effect from Thursday this week.

Basically I'd say that anyone coming in from abroad is more than unlikely to attend.
The Norwegians and Swedes won't for no other reason that it may send out the wrong signal, when people are urged to stay put when at all possible until further ahead in the vaccination process.
I even think that Joachim and his family may be a problem.
Because for how long may Joachim have to quarantine when entering DK and going back to France? I don't know the current rules.
That means time off from work at an event that is not strictly necessary for him to attend. Christian is after all not son of Joachim.
And as for Athena and Henrik, How about their school? If they have to quarantine it may be two weeks.
And our Marie. Well, she could represent that part of the family, but would she prefer to stay with her children? Or will a member of her family babysit while she is away?

The Berleburgs may face the same problems. It depends on the situation in Germany.
So Benedikte, Ingrid and is it Nathalie or Alexandra who is married to the count on Egeborg? May be the only four representatives from that branch of the family.

Will the Court Chaplain or Bishop perform the Ceremony?

I think the DRF waited for the politicians to negotiate the next phase in the reopening, before publishing details. The politicians agreed on the next phase late yesterday, to take effect from Thursday this week.

Basically I'd say that anyone coming in from abroad is more than unlikely to attend.
The Norwegians and Swedes won't for no other reason that it may send out the wrong signal, when people are urged to stay put when at all possible until further ahead in the vaccination process.
Because for how long may Joachim have to quarantine when entering DK and going back to France? I don't know the current rules.
That means time off from work at an event that is not strictly necessary for him to attend. Christian is after all not son of Joachim.
And as for Athena and Henrik, How about their school? If they have to quarantine it may be two weeks.
And our Marie. Well, she could represent that part of the family, but would she prefer to stay with her children? Or will a member of her family babysit while she is away?

The Berleburgs may face the same problems. It depends on the situation in Germany.
So Benedikte, Ingrid and is it Nathalie or Alexandra who is married to the count on Egeborg? May be the only four representatives from that branch of the family.

It is Alexandra who is married to a Danish count and living in Denmark (with her daughter Ingrid if I understand it correctly; not sure about her son Richard).

I assume that Nikolai and Felix will be present; whether their father can come as well from Paris remains to be seen.

Whilst it would have been wonderful if Christian's Godparents had all been able to attend, as earlier posted, several are royals and expected to not only follow the rules but be seen to follow the rules. That duty to one's country supercedes personal preferences especially now when the eyes of their countries look to them to see how they follow Public Health warnings but to ensure it's not one rule for them and another for the rest.

However, while I know little about the Lutheran denomination, in the CofE Confirmation is that moment when a person takes on the promises made by their Godparents at their Baptism, for themself, and in so doing, are welcomed into the Church as a full (adult) member which is then celebrated by their First Communion. So, to me, it seems like the most important people are the Clergy in the form of the Bishop (?) and his family to celebrate with him.

Will Prince Christian have a Confirmation sponsor?

Does that 25 include the family of 6? What about a gathering/party/dinner/whatever outside in the garden? Is that more than 25?

Yup – don't know if it includes the bishop though. The limit for outside gatherings will be raised to 75 starting tomorrow. So depending on the weather, they could probably gather some guests outside after the confirmation.

Joachim and Marie have no problem travelling back and forth between France and Denmark for holidays so I doubt it'd be a problem for them to make it to their nephew's (and Joachim's godson's) confirmation. After all, they've known the date for a long time now.

Will the Court Chaplain or Bishop perform the Ceremony?
It so happens that the current Court Chaplain is also bishop over Århus Diocese. We have in Denmark 10 bishops and one in Greenland. The court chaplain need not to be bishop. The late Christian Thodberg wasn't.

However, while I know little about the Lutheran denomination, in the CofE Confirmation is that moment when a person takes on the promises made by their Godparents at their Baptism, for themself, and in so doing, are welcomed into the Church as a full (adult) member which is then celebrated by their First Communion.
In the danish church (Folkekirken) confirmation is as in Church of England, the moment when a person takes on the promises made at their baptism. A little difference is that in Folkekirken you are a full member when you are baptised and can therefor parttake in communion from the moment you are baptised ?

Yup – don't know if it includes the bishop though.
The priest, organ player, singers and other staff in churches are not counted in when a church can have for example 50 persons. But this only goes for the service in the church as soon as the service is over, then everyone counts as persons again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom