Education of the Wales Children, Part 2, 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
259px-Combined_Coat_of_Arms_of_William_and_Catherine%2C_the_Prince_and_Princess_of_Wales.svg.png

Combined Arms of The Prince and Princess of Wales

Welcome to thread Education of the Wales Children, Part 2

Commencing September 1st, 2022

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
I suspect they will be looking at a number of schools.

Eton requires boys to register by the 30th June when they are in grade 5 so by the end of this month for George.

If not registered by 30th June this year he would then have to win a scholarship or wait until A level.

He may not go to Eton but they are simply ensuring that option remains open to him.

Marlborough has the advantage of being co-ed and then there are a number of fine day schools locally around Windsor - such as the ones Beatrice, Louise and James have attended for the most part of their education.

Good parents, who can afford to do so, will often scout a number of schools and try to find the best fit for a child - and not assume that the same school will suit all of their children.

I suspect they will be looking at a number of schools.

Eton requires boys to register by the 30th June when they are in grade 5 so by the end of this month for George.

If not registered by 30th June this year he would then have to win a scholarship or wait until A level.

He may not go to Eton but they are simply ensuring that option remains open to him.

Marlborough has the advantage of being co-ed and then there are a number of fine day schools locally around Windsor - such as the ones Beatrice, Louise and James have attended for the most part of their education.

Good parents, who can afford to do so, will often scout a number of schools and try to find the best fit for a child - and not assume that the same school will suit all of their children.

I think this makes a lot of sense and I’ve always assumed it was the biggest motivator in their move to Windsor. The schools they would be most interested in are accessible to them, and if George does go to Eton, he could come home as he wants. From what I recall, afternoons with the Queen were important to William during his time there so he may want that same proximity to family for his children.

Eton is a boarding only school. William would visit the Queen on some Sunday afternoons. Going 'home when he likes' isn't an option. Going home occasionally is possible but not when he wants to.

Yes Eton is one of the few fully boarding schools left. Many are more flexi now.

I always figured it would be Wellington to be honest. Near them. Co educational. Wouldn’t have to board. Having said that perhaps they would be looking at more boarding when they are 13 but I always thought looking at Kate that that would be a hard no.

If George is very academically bright then Eton would be the right school for home. Otherwise no. It was wrong for Harry and really William too didn’t have the academic skills for the place. From what I hear though, from someone who thought George is that he is a lovely boy, average and highly emotional.

I'm sure they're looking at a number of schools but, as Iluvbertie said, they will need to put George's name down by the end of this month to give him the option of applying for Eton.

Yes Eton is one of the few fully boarding schools left. Many are more flexi now.

I always figured it would be Wellington to be honest. Near them. Co educational. Wouldn’t have to board. Having said that perhaps they would be looking at more boarding when they are 13 but I always thought looking at Kate that that would be a hard no.

If George is very academically bright then Eton would be the right school for home. Otherwise no. It was wrong for Harry and really William too didn’t have the academic skills for the place. From what I hear though, from someone who thought George is that he is a lovely boy, average and highly emotional.

I agree, for some reason I cant see Kate agreeing to George being a boarder, really hope he can stay home a bit longer.

I agree, for some reason I cant see Kate agreeing to George being a boarder, really hope he can stay home a bit longer.

Most boarding schools like Eton start at 13, so he has around 3 more years at home.

William seemed to really enjoy Eton; Harry, not so much.
That's one reason it's not always wise to send all the children in the family to the same school (provided there are other options).

I do think with William and Catherine becoming Prince and Princess of Wales, they’ll have a busier schedule, which would mean less time with family. This may be a big reason that all three children will go to boarding school

I'm sure they're looking at a number of schools but, as Iluvbertie said, they will need to put George's name down by the end of this month to give him the option of applying for Eton.

I tend to believe the same and that there will be other schools on their list before they make a decision. They're at Eton now so there's the possibility that he could apply.

Kate would have started boarding at Marlborough at/around age 13, the same age George would be if he went to Eton or another boarding school.

I think both Kate and William enjoyed their time as boarders in secondary school so, while I don’t believe they’d ever pressure one of their children to attend a school that was a poor fit, I doubt they’d insist George attend a day school if he was enthusiastic about the idea of boarding.

Reality is boarding schools, at least flexi, make sense for royal children. Especially those whose parents are the heir and his wife. Their parents will be frequently travelling, they can't avoid it as much as once before. If the kids are going to be home with a nanny huge chunks of time, it makes just as much sense to put them in flexi boarding school (or full).

William loved Eton and even Harry enjoyed parts. Kate enjoyed boarding school as well. I don't see them being against it when the kids hit 13.

Once the kids are teenagers I'm sure any boarding schools won't seem like such a bad idea to their parents.

Last edited:
Reality is boarding schools, at least flexi, make sense for royal children. Especially those whose parents are the heir and his wife. Their parents will be frequently travelling, they can't avoid it as much as once before. If the kids are going to be home with a nanny huge chunks of time, it makes just as much sense to put them in flexi boarding school (or full).

William loved Eton and even Harry enjoyed parts. Kate enjoyed boarding school as well. I don't see them being against it when the kids hit 13.

Once the kids are teenagers I'm sure any boarding schools won't seem like such a bad idea to their parents.

I agree, boarding schools could be a good option for the Wales children at 11 / 13+.

Things are very different at schools like Eton and Marlborough now from 25 years ago: lots of children of professionals (lawyers, bankers etc), lots of international children, fewer aristocrats). There is a lot more access, with parents welcome to come and watch the children play sport most weekends and take the children out for tea. And regular exeat weekends too, when the children can go home.

Bunte, the German tabloid, reports.
https://www.bunte.de/royals/britisc...agstradition-baeckt-sie-bis-in-die-nacht.html

Kate, Catherine Duchess of Cambridge, is baking the birthday cakes for her children herself!

She stays until late in the night in the kitchen and is baking. Bunte reports that today at the occasion of the birthday of her eldest child. But the other two kids get their birthday cakes as well of course.

Kate is doing so, despite having very capable personnel, because she wants to enter some "normality" into their priviledged, noble lifes.

And the Princess is really interested in the matter: She even asked a Alice Fevronia from the British TV show "Great Bristish Baking Show" for advise, namely for the butter creme.

I think, this is pretty cool, considered, that she has personnel, and very feminin! Well done!

Edit: named Kate wrong... Thanks Somebody!

Last edited:
Bunte, the German tabloid, reports.
https://www.bunte.de/royals/britisc...agstradition-baeckt-sie-bis-in-die-nacht.html

Kate, Catherine Duchess of Sussex, is baking the birthday cakes for her children herself!

She stays until late in the night in the kitchen and is baking. Bunte reports that today at the occasion of the birthday of her eldest child. But the other two kids get their birthday cakes as well of course.

Kate is doing so, despite having very capable personnel, because she wants to enter some "normality" into their priviledged, noble lifes.

And the Princess is really interested in the matter: She even asked a Alice Fevronia from the British TV show "Great Bristish Baking Show" for advise, namely for the butter creme.

I think, this is pretty cool, considered, that she has personnel, and very feminin! Well done!

If they don't get the basic facts right...

It seems to be in the wrong thread as well. As this is the one discussing their schooling options/choices.

If they don't get the basic facts right...

It seems to be in the wrong thread as well. As this is the one discussing their schooling options/choices.

In fairness to Bunte, they call her Princess Kate through the entire artlcle, no mention of the Duchess of Sussex.

Is it known where George and Charlotte will study this school year?

They will be returning to Lambrook I presume. They are both still in primary school. They will probably stay there until high school, when they are 13.

They will be returning to Lambrook I presume. They are both still in primary school. They will probably stay there until high school, when they are 13.

Girls typically go to secondary school at 11, so I suspect Charlotte will leave Lambrook after Year 6.

Girls typically go to secondary school at 11, so I suspect Charlotte will leave Lambrook after Year 6.
Why is there a difference between boys and girls?

The system for most English schools is as follows:

> State schools: Boys and girls start secondary school at age 11 (Year 7)

> Independent (fee paying) schools: Usually, the girls go at age 11 (Year 7) and the boys go at age 13 (Year 9). Boarding schools (like Eton, Winchester, Harrow for boys, Wycombe Abbey and Cheltenham for girls) will usually take boys in at 13 and girls at 11. Marlborough, where the Princess of Wales studied, though takes in boys and girls at 13.

> Increasingly numbers of independent schools are, though, shifting to starting at 11+ (year 7) for boys and girls.

It's just the traditional age for (boys) public schools.

Not actually sure why girls public schools didn't follow suit even though I went to one. I suppose it's because most were only set up in the Victorian era or later thus some of the current structure was starting to take shape. When did the 11 + for Grammars start?

I went to Wycombe and it had Junior House at 11 years old and then everyone went to their "senior houses" at lower 4 (year 8 12 years old) and there was another big intake at 13 the next year (Upper 4 year 9). Even girls only prep schools often go up to 13.

Many of the more "local" Independent/private schools offer year 7 for both boys and girls as Muriel said.

I suspect they might look for a co-ed school near by for them all but there are also plenty of single sex schools which offer flexi boarding (which is great) that are all close to each other and Windsor.

It is a pretty confusing system, even for parents currently trying to navigate it who have been through it themselves.

It is a pretty confusing system, even for parents currently trying to navigate it who have been through it themselves.

I think there can be little debate about that!

Many of the more "local" Independent/private schools offer year 7 for both boys and girls as Muriel said.

The rationale from the perspective of the independent schools to take in boys and girls at 11 is clear: why leave 2 years revenues on the table!

I suspect they might look for a co-ed school near by for them all but there are also plenty of single sex schools which offer flexi boarding (which is great) that are all close to each other and Windsor.

I suspect all the kids will end up at Marlborough. Both William and CAtherine seem to have enjoyed baording school, and may want to give their children the chance to experience it.

In state secondary schools and most private secondary schools, both boys and girls start at age 11. But, at most of the boys' public schools (the small number of very exclusive private schools, and, yes, I know that the terminology's confusing) - Eton, Harrow, etc - it's 13. There's no logical reason for it: it's just always been like that.

The 11+ for grammars was brought in at the end of the Second World War: it goes back way before then.

The rationale from the perspective of the independent schools to take in boys and girls at 11 is clear: why leave 2 years revenues on the table!

I suspect all the kids will end up at Marlborough. Both William and CAtherine seem to have enjoyed baording school, and may want to give their children the chance to experience it.

1st, true.

2nd I suspect you're right. I was going to say possibly Marlborough which isn't far away but not close enough for a few night here and there but mostly day if they wanted that option for some of them. Close enough for weekly boarding though.

Personally I loved boarding and it was my choice but it's not for everyone. I do think it would in theory be beneficial to the little Waleses though. Nothing like being "just like everyone else" when you live with other kids, most of whom won't care who your parents are by the end of the 2nd day. And that will help them as they move into the teen years and become acutely aware of their positions for better or worse. And with their parents inevitably working longer hours in differently places and going overseas more it gives them some structure which Nanny Maria, awesome as I'm sure she is might not be able to provide 3 teens/tweens if their parents are on a 2 week tour.

Back
Top Bottom