Education of the Wales Children, Part 2, 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They will stay where they are until they are 13 ai warrant. And I would say that all, if they keep co education, are likely to end at somewhere at Wellington.maybe Marlbourough.

Interesting opinions! I would have guessed that the boys would follow their father to Eton, especially since it is so close to Windsor. Any reasons why so many think they'll go to Marlborough instead?

Interesting opinions! I would have guessed that the boys would follow their father to Eton, especially since it is so close to Windsor. Any reasons why so many think they'll go to Marlborough instead?

Co educational. Eton is boarding only. You can't come home. I think only at certain times. Harry was the last full boarder of the Queens grandchildren. Eugenie boarded for a bit at Malborough. None of the others did.

I think George is going to Eton. Weren't Willam, Kate and George spotted at Eton doing a tour some months ago? and boys have to apply 2 or 3 years in advance to get a spot.

I think George is going to Eton. Weren't Willam, Kate and George spotted at Eton doing a tour some months ago? and boys have to apply 2 or 3 years in advance to get a spot.

They have to sit an entrance exam. I'm sure that wouldn't apply to George but you know it should factor in the decision. They'd be better going to a school that is not academically selective because whether or not they would pass that assessment, they'd get in anyway.

Some factors in Marlborough's favour over Eton could include:

> Co-educational

> Lower profile, and less posh

> a little distance away from home

> Mum (and Pippa & James) had a great time there

If George wanted to go to Eton, he would sit tests and go through an interview process that typically runs over the Nov - March of year 6, so this coming term, and early next term. If selected, he would then join in Year 9, i.e. September 2026.

They will stay where they are until they are 13 ai warrant. And I would say that all, if they keep co education, are likely to end at somewhere at Wellington.maybe Marlbourough.

I'd forgotten Wellington was fully co-ed now. That's also a possibility. My much older cousin went there in the late 80s and joined the army. Still seems pretty activity based from the website which a lot of BRF members thrive on.

Not discounting that they toured Eton, they probably have and will tour several possible schools. Perhaps George will have a strong preference/affinity for a school that his parents were only thinking of as a back up or as one to consider and discount - it does happen.

Last edited:
They have to sit an entrance exam. I'm sure that wouldn't apply to George but you know it should factor in the decision. They'd be better going to a school that is not academically selective because whether or not they would pass that assessment, they'd get in anyway.

William and Harry both had to sit the entrance exam and pass it so why wouldn't George have to do so?

As a teacher who has been involved in preparing students for 'entrance exams' like this one it isn't hard to coach a student to pass such an exam even if they aren't really capable of the standard required once there.

Co educational. Eton is boarding only. You can't come home. I think only at certain times. Harry was the last full boarder of the Queens grandchildren. Eugenie boarded for a bit at Malborough. None of the others did.

Co-educational yes.

Marlborough is a full board like Eton. Its not an option if they want a flexible boarding. They'd have to look at something like Wellington.

Harry was not the last. Eugenie boarded for five years at Marlborough.

Beatrice stayed at St George's due to her dyslexia. They have flexi boarding and it has never been discussed if she ever boarded.

Louise and James both attend/ed schools which offered flexi boarding.

Boarding school, even using flexi just makes plain sense. Kate and William's travel will continue to grow more and more. If the kids are going to be at home with just a nanny for weeks, they may as well be in boarding school.

Co-educational yes.

Marlborough is a full board like Eton. Its not an option if they want a flexible boarding. They'd have to look at something like Wellington.

Beatrice stayed at St George's due to her dyslexia. They have flexi boarding and it has never been discussed if she ever boarded.

Boarding school, even using flexi just makes plain sense. Kate and William's travel will continue to grow more and more. If the kids are going to be at home with just a nanny for weeks, they may as well be in boarding school.

Even full-boarding schools like Eton and Harrow allow a fair amount of parental access these days. Most weekends, parents can visit to watch the children play sport, and are often allowed to take the children out for a meal. Further, there are plenty of exeat weekends, when children can come home.

William and Harry both had to sit the entrance exam and pass it so why wouldn't George have to do so?

As a teacher who has been involved in preparing students for 'entrance exams' like this one it isn't hard to coach a student to pass such an exam even if they aren't really capable of the standard required once there.

It is extremely difficult. Kids work for years to pass it. Common entrance in the UK is often as hard, if not sometimes harder, than some of the GCSE exams.

I don’t know if either boy did sit the exam. I would imagine not. Neither may have passed it and Harry definitely wouldn’t because by his own admission he isn’t academic.

Co-educational yes.

She went at 13. Peter, Zara, William and Harry went at 8 which is painfully young. Peter and Zara seem to have zero interest in sending their children to boarding schools.

However, once kids get to be teens and they go to a flexi they often want to stay over night and do the activity with their friends anyway.

The school they are currently at has boarding from age 11 I think?

It is extremely difficult. Kids work for years to pass it. Common entrance in the UK is often as hard, if not sometimes harder, than some of the GCSE exams.

I agree, the 11/13+ entrance exams can be very competitive, if you are attempting to join a top ranking academic school. Prep often extends to 12-18 months.

Some factors in Marlborough's favour over Eton could include:

> Co-educational

> Lower profile, and less posh

> a little distance away from home

> Mum (and Pippa & James) had a great time there

William seemed to really enjoy Eton as well.
I hope William and Kate choose schools that are best suited to each child, rather than automatically placing them together.

I feel Harry, at least, wasn't suited for Eton and would have been happier elsewhere. And we all know how miserable Charles was at Gordonstoun, even if his siblings flourished there.

William seemed to really enjoy Eton as well.
I hope William and Kate choose schools that are best suited to each child, rather than automatically placing them together.

I feel Harry, at least, wasn't suited for Eton and would have been happier elsewhere. And we all know how miserable Charles was at Gordonstoun, even if his siblings flourished there.

Gordonstoun was the father's decision.

Zara amd Peter went there too and loved it. Actually it would have been. Ideal for Harry but with his mother's death and all it was probably felt best to keep him with William.

Bea amd Eug went to different schools. Ditto James and Louise (but that wass down gender lines). I think for many reasons, security being one, it would be best to keep them together in a school. In today's world the openess of Eton would make it a minefield. And things like that need to be considered.

The Common Entrance Exam used by Eton is not particularly rigorous compared with the exams used by schools which set their own entrance exams. Prep schools are geared up to it and know how to get most children through it. Public schools don't really select kids based on academic performance in the way that private grammar schools do: it's more a case of making sure that they meet a minimum level.

You have to put boys' names down for Eton by the end of the academic year in which they turn 10, so they'll have put George's name down to keep the option on the table.

The Common Entrance Exam used by Eton is not particularly rigorous compared with the exams used by schools which set their own entrance exams. Prep schools are geared up to it and know how to get most children through it. Public schools don't really select kids based on academic performance in the way that private grammar schools do: it's more a case of making sure that they meet a minimum level.

The Common Entrance is not a key part of the application process, and I suspect will be done away with in the coming years. From memory, the process for Eton, and a lot of the more academic London (and other UK ) schools (St Pauls, Westmintser, City etc) is as follows:

> STEP 1: ISEB. An online test done at your prep school. The results of this, along with the report of the Headmaster from the Prep school determine if the boy is to be invited for school based assessments.

> STEP 2: if you clear the ISEB, you are invited for interviews + the schools own tests. These typically cover Maths, English, Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning.

> Based on your performance in Step 2, conditional offers may be made. All of this happens in Year 6, for entry in Year 9. Offers are conditional on clearing your Common Entrance.

> Common Entrance exams take place at the end of Year 8. I have never known anybody to miss their offer because of the results of their Common Entrance.

Do we know that?

Mike has said no before…may change his mind. But like I said they may end up at a school near them which does flexi and do a bit. They are all at Beaudesert Park School I think but there isn’t a private secondary that near to them ai don’t think so they ,as well go weekly boarding.

Mike - like me :) - is from the urban North and will be used to having loads of schools, state and private, within easy travelling distance. It's probably quite a culture shock to be somewhere like Gatcombe, where there aren't a lot of people and therefore aren't a lot of schools! There'll be private day schools in Cheltenham, but it's quite a long way to go there and back every day.

Mike - like me :) - is from the urban North and will be used to having loads of schools, state and private, within easy travelling distance. It's probably quite a culture shock to be somewhere like Gatcombe, where there aren't a lot of people and therefore aren't a lot of schools! There'll be private day schools in Cheltenham, but it's quite a long way to go there and back every day.

Maybe. Peter's girls too but their Mum appears to love in Cirencester and there is a smallish private secondary there.

Gatcombe is not as remote as people think. There are a choice of good schools less then an hour (if they were weekly boarders, more then reasonable distance to come home on weekends).

Wyecliff college which goes from nursery through 6th form (co-ed) offers flexi boarding options. Its only a 20 minute drive from Gatcombe. There are other boarding options as well.

Genuinely all of the queen's grandchildren who did boarding school enjoyed it. The parents may choose to wait longer to put their kids in boarding, but unless the kid are against boarding school I'd not be shocked to see most of the kids at least in flexi.

Wales children may as well go to Eton and Heathfield (where Princess Alexandra went) because Benenden was not a success with Princess Anne.
If I had to guess, it would be Eton for the two boys and Marlborough for Charlotte.

Gatcombe is not as remote as people think. There are a choice of good schools less then an hour (if they were weekly boarders, more then reasonable distance to come home on weekends).

Wyecliff college which goes from nursery through 6th form (co-ed) offers flexi boarding options. Its only a 20 minute drive from Gatcombe. There are other boarding options as well.

Genuinely all of the queen's grandchildren who did boarding school enjoyed it. The parents may choose to wait longer to put their kids in boarding, but unless the kid are against boarding school I'd not be shocked to see most of the kids at least in flexi.

It’s not remote at all. Minchampton is literally round at the corner. But it’s the private schools there are less of. State schools fine. I forgot about that school, that would be the perfect place for them.

If we know one thing about William and Kate is that they don’t make the expected move. I would have thought St George’s School because that is where Eugenie and Louise went. So we have no idea what they will do.

Last edited:

I always presumed Zara's kids followed their cousins to Beauespark. They didn't. It seems the girls are ar Wycliffe which is probably where they will stay. Savannah and Isla may follow them there or - I think Autumn is living in Chicester - theynmay go nearer there.

Bunte online, the German tabloid, reports and cites the British newspapers Express and Mirror.
https://www.bunte.de/royals/britisc...rge-soll-auf-ihre-ehemalige-schule-gehen.html

There were rumours, that Prince George would visit the school Eton in the near future.

But this was met with resistance by Duchess Kate. Eton would be too stuffy and upper-crust of an institution for a modern Monarchy... Plus: She, Kate, would miss the little Prince too much, if he went there.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1826445/princess-kate-prince-william-george-eton

Now the Mirror claims, George will probably go to Marlborough College, which Kate has visited as teenager. On not only him, but later Princess Charlotte too would share this school with him. Another point is, that the College is only a one hour drive from Adelaide Cottage, the home of the Windsors. So Duchess Kate could easily visit her kids.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/george-charlotte-to-go-boarding-31531284

--------------------------
My take here may sound a bit harsh, but Eton is surely a very good school and I am sure, they go there with the times, to provide the best education possible. And life is hard - especially for little Princes. which are going to become King on day. A clean cut from the parental home in the puberty might be not the worst approach...

Bunte online, the German tabloid, reports and cites the British newspapers Express and Mirror.
https://www.bunte.de/royals/britisc...rge-soll-auf-ihre-ehemalige-schule-gehen.html

There were rumours, that Prince George would visit the school Eton in the near future.

But this was met with resistance by Duchess Kate. Eton would be too stuffy and upper-crust of an institution for a modern Monarchy... Plus: She, Kate, would miss the little Prince too much, if he went there.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1826445/princess-kate-prince-william-george-eton

Now the Mirror claims, George will probably go to Marlborough College, which Kate has visited as teenager. On not only him, but later Princess Charlotte too would share this school with him. Another point is, that the College is only a one hour drive from Adelaide Cottage, the home of the Windsors. So Duchess Kate could easily visit her kids.

My take here may sound a bit harsh, but Eton is surely a very good school and I am sure, they go there with the times, to provide the best education possible. And life is hard - especially for little Princes. which are going to become King on day. A clean cut from the parental home in the puberty might be not the worst approach...

William and Harry studied at Eton. Eton seems like a very good school.
But I don't know if William and Catherine want their children to go to boarding school.

William and Catherine may also want all three children to attend the same school, as they have so far. It will be interesting to see what they choose, at least.

I can understand preferring Marlborough over Eton but Eton is much closer to Adelaide Cottage, the Wales' current residence that Marlborough.

Back
Top Bottom