General News for Charles III and Queen Camilla Part 2, February 2024-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Charles and Queen Camilla attended the Sunday church service at Crathie Church again today, April 28:

** dailymail article **

The lovely picture they released in a flower garden was one of last year.
Happy to see the King to day driving his car himself to the Church with the Queen. His treatment makes him tired what is normal . On the last picture of the DM the King is not wearing the same tie.

The lovely picture they released in a flower garden was one of last year.
Happy to see the King to day driving his car himself to the Church with the Queen. His treatment makes him tired what is normal . On the last picture of the DM the King is not wearing the same tie.
The last photograph is from a different day, you can see that Camilla is dressed differently as well. Possibly Sandringham.

Buckingham Palace has announced that King Charles and Queen Camilla will postpone engagements 'which may appear to divert attention or distract from the election campaign'.

This in response to Prime Minister Rishi Sunak announcing a General Election for July 4.

The article claims major events such as Trooping of the Colour, Royal Ascot and the Japanese State Visit could be affected, but full details of postponements and rearrangements have not yet been released.

Mods, if this is in the wrong thread, feel free to move it - I wasn't sure what the best 'home' was :)

I understand the potential political issues a State Visit would bring about but Royal Ascot should be safe IMO, I also think Trooping should go ahead, simply don't invite any politicians!

The last time Trooping happened within an election period was 1970, when Trooping occurred on 13June and the Election happened on 18June

Since then, there have been several elections that have occurred in the week or so *before* Trooping (83, 87, 01, 15, and 17).

I understand the potential political issues a State Visit would bring about but Royal Ascot should be safe IMO, I also think Trooping should go ahead, simply don't invite any politicians!
I agree, Trooping and Royal Ascot should be pretty safe. The state visit, however, might need to be rescheduled yet again. Having said that, Theresa May was acting PM when Trump came to the UK on a state visit in 2019.

Trooping The Colour and Royal Ascot are apolitical and won't be affected. I doubt that the Japanese State Visit will be affected either: there's nothing controversial about Anglo-Japanese relations. As for diverting attention from politicians, I think all eyes in early July will be on Wimbledon and the Euros rather than on Messrs Sunak and Starmer 😄. But it's possible that some things may be affected.

Apparently, this is a 'normal procedure'. Can anyone shed a light on which engagements would typically be cancelled in the run up to an election?

I am still a little baffled by the idea that the PM gets full say in when to call or not to call an election but I guess each country has its own customs, rules and regulations.

Apparently, this is a 'normal procedure'. Can anyone shed a light on which engagements would typically be cancelled in the run up to an election?

I am still a little baffled by the idea that the PM gets full say in when to call or not to call an election but I guess each country has its own customs, rules and regulations.
We do indeed.

I think the annual events like Trooping the Colour would be pretty safe. They happen every year, so there's not really a lot of news to make, and there isn't really a focus on a particular issue.

What would be riskier are things like visits to charities, since their causes might happen to overlap with political issues.

I agree, Trooping and Royal Ascot should be pretty safe. The state visit, however, might need to be rescheduled yet again. Having said that, Theresa May was acting PM when Trump came to the UK on a state visit in 2019.
I think the State Visit from Japan will postponed as the timing is really close. When the US State Visit to the UK occurred, it was six months to the elections - the visit was in June and the General Elections were in December

I also suspect that the State Visit from Japan maybe delayed. Any meaningful decisions made during that visit (and the main point of these visits is for the representatives of the government to have the chance to agree to things like trade deals while the focus is on the Heads of State playing nice to each other) may only be relevant for about a week or so before there is a new government.

Reactions: hel
When the US State Visit to the UK occurred, it was six months to the elections - the visit was in June and the General Elections were in December
Theresa may resigned in May 2019, and was caretaker PM till a new leader of the Party could be chosen. That process lasted till July, when Boris was elected party leader, and became PM. The election in December 2019 was unrelated to this process. The state visit from Trump in June 2019 took place when we had a caretaker PM.

I also suspect that the State Visit from Japan maybe delayed. Any meaningful decisions made during that visit (and the main point of these visits is for the representatives of the government to have the chance to agree to things like trade deals while the focus is on the Heads of State playing nice to each other) may only be relevant for about a week or so before there is a new government.
I agree, the Japanese state visit may be rescheduled. This also happened in 2017, when Theresa May called a snap election. At the time, the Spanish state visit was pushed back by a few months, finally taking place in July 2017 after the elections.

Agree strongly with Iluvbertie that the governmental parts of a state visit are not terribly useful when there may be a wholly new government imminently. Also, the invitation list from the UK side becomes fraught because if not all of the party leaders are invited, that could look like favouritism and where Sunak sits relative to Starmer, Davey, et al could appear imply Opinions about which party should be elected. In short, a State Banquet is definitely an event that could distract.

Back
Top Bottom