Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Platinum Jubilee Tour of The Caribbean 19-26 Mar 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The duke and duchess at the Governor General’s Reception at Baha Mar Resort in The Bahamas.

There needs to be a very real, honest, frank analysis in house (and likely including plenty of outside voices to) as to why this tour wasn't (or wasn't perceived at least) as a success.
It was always going to be tricky - visiting a country that openly wants to get rid of the Sovereign as their head of state, visiting Caribbean countries after all the allegations of racism, first overseas visit in years and first when many many people back home haven't left for a holiday overseas for years.

I think there are a whole host of reasons why this didn't work out well (a rare miss for the RF and W&K): lack of staff experience planning such tours, an inept Foreign Office that can't handle anything well, visiting one country where the government isn't exactly going to go out their way to make the visit a success, the current events in the world meaning we just aren't in place to be that bothered about such a tour, the media and rise of social media influence, the feeling in the media perhaps of the need to reflect some of the harshest social media criticism in their coverage even if that criticism comes from people with their own agenda. I would even look as closely at small things - the wardrobe (Catherine's very "English" clothing which creates an awkward juxtapose and William in brilliant white uniform - yes required but again doesn't look good), the social media team at KP and their posts and many others.

Catherine's very English clothing and William's white gala uniform are actualy reminiscent of the attire worn by the young Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of the Edinburgh in their Commonwealth tours in the 1950s. No one complained about that back then, but nowadays it does look very "colonial".

As other posters have pointed out though, issues such as republicanism and slave reparations are hardly new and have been around in some Caribbean countries like Jamaica for decades. Prince Harry made a solo tour of Jamaica 10 years ago on the occasion of the Diamond Jubilee and it was a huge success, although it was less "institutional" or ceremonial than the Cambridges' tour, which perhaps gave Jamaican politicians less room to raise institutional issues.

Prince Harry's 2012 tour of Jamaica

Furthermore, any allegations of present-day colonialism are a red herring. Not only is Jamaica fully independent from the United Kingdom, but also, other than appointing a new Governor-General every 5 years on the advice of the Jamaican PM, the Queen herself plays no practical role with respect to the Jamaican Crown as all her powers in and over Jamaica. in relation for example to the executive branch, the Parliament, the courts, the armed forces, and international relations, are delegated to and exercised by the Governor-General.

Last edited:
I don’t think this was ever going to be a successful tour in the way that the majority of their other visits have been. Everything could have gone perfectly and the press would still have found a way to work colonialism and/or racism into the narrative and choose to present the whole thing through that lens. I’m sure William, Catherine and their team knew this was going to happen and that, to a large extent, there wasn’t anything they could do about it.

They wouldn’t have been thrown off by the protests as those are nothing new - there are almost always protests in Quebec whenever members of the Royal Family come to Canada, for example.

The treatment they got in Jamaica was shameful and reflects very poorly on the government of Jamaica, but William and Catherine handled the situation correctly and carried on.

It’s too bad that a tour in which they were very warmly received the majority of the time has been overshadowed by these negatives but I think all the couple and their team can do is take a look at things they had control over and might have done differently, and make use of that experience going forward.

I think this is a very balanced view of the tour, and I agree wholeheartedly with you with regards to the Jamaica part.

I don’t think this was ever going to be a successful tour in the way that the majority of their other visits have been. Everything could have gone perfectly and the press would still have found a way to work colonialism and/or racism into the narrative and choose to present the whole thing through that lens. I’m sure William, Catherine and their team knew this was going to happen and that, to a large extent, there wasn’t anything they could do about it.

They wouldn’t have been thrown off by the protests as those are nothing new - there are almost always protests in Quebec whenever members of the Royal Family come to Canada, for example.

The treatment they got in Jamaica was shameful and reflects very poorly on the government of Jamaica, but William and Catherine handled the situation correctly and carried on.

It’s too bad that a tour in which they were very warmly received the majority of the time has been overshadowed by these negatives but I think all the couple and their team can do is take a look at things they had control over and might have done differently, and make use of that experience going forward.

That’s very well said. Fair and balanced imo.

I feel that the Jamaican government came off looking terrible. That behavior was rude and unnecessary. It reflects poorly on them, no one else imo.

The organizers of the Cambridges tour could've done better and I am certain they will analyze and dissect what they could've done differently given the political climate. They were smart to scrap part of the Belize tour but they should've given more thought to certain optics.

They also could've looked The Prince of Wales visit to Barbados last November. Though his speech was very effective and successful (apologizing for the evils of slavery..etc). There were multiple planned protests against his brief visit and members of the Bajan government speaking out against his presence there.

--
A good read including a quote from our very own Marlene Koenig

https://www.insider.com/prince-william-kate-middleton-tour-adapt-monarchy-future-2022-3

Last edited:
I think perhaps their staff should have flagged up the issue between the government of Belize and the locals which got the tour off on the wrong foot, even if it had basically nothing to do with William and Kate.

There should be a "what we can do better" process but I think on the whole W&K themselves have done fine (except they might want to dress to match all the time).

I loved their traditional clothing in Pakistan and thought it was very respectful but doing it on this tour may have inflamed tensions further.

The protests against Charles in Barbados were the same but he gets much less press attention than the Cambridges do. He was even there to show a peaceful transition of HOS with no hard feelings -which is great thing looking at current world events. I'm not even sure the world at large noticed Prince Edward was in Kenya, which seems to have been a successful visit.

I think Charles has also had his fair share of "not so great tours" whereas W&K are held up as almost a "golden couple" who get it right so it is the first time the media have really had anything bad to say, so of course they go OTT with it. Personally I don't necessarily think this tour has been any worse than some of their others its just now the media are saying it and it is about something more serious than issues in the past.

To be honest, I think these type of royal tours should be completely scrapped. Times have changed and lately these tours just seem to be more hassle than they’re worth. A 1-2 day working visit where the focus is on one particular cause/issue might be a better way for them moving forward.

Kate and William did the best they could, but no matter how they approached this tour, there were going to be complaints and things that people found offensive. IMO, I don’t think the backlash is just due to the politics surrounding the visit. Nor is it solely about the clothes that Kate is wearing, or shaking hands through a fence. I think a lot of this is due to everything that has transpired within the Royal family within the last few years. Judging by the comments I see on social media, the BRF have been severely damaged by the scandals from the last few years and the accusations of racism. So this tour was never going to come off smoothly.

I’m still trying to figure out why the Jamaican government even agreed to host the visit. It would have been better if they had said no, and then announced that they were taking steps to become a republic. Agreeing to the visit and then acting as if they didn’t even want the Cambridges there, is a bit odd.

To be honest, I think these type of royal tours should be completely scrapped. Times have changed and lately these tours just seem to be more hassle than they’re worth. A 1-2 day working visit where the focus is on one particular cause/issue might be a better way for them moving forward.

Wouldn't this be better for the royals as well? There have been some tours where I've watched the coverage of royals doing ten meet-and-greet things in a day, and even though the smiles never slip, you get the feeling they ran out of interest or energy three rounds of handshakes ago. It must be a lot to take in, especially if the itinerary is set by the hosting country. If I was a royal, I would much rather do a short, focused, working visit for something I'm passionate about, as with Kate's recent trip to Denmark.

Plus, the big 'come out and see us' tours made sense back in the days before the internet, when it was the only way to put the royals 'in touch' with the locals. Now, everyone everywhere can just follow them on social media instead.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are a most charming couple and Prince William, to me, has stood up well in the tropical climate because blondes (and redheads) usually find such a climate very difficult to stand.

I’m still trying to figure out why the Jamaican government even agreed to host the visit. It would have been better if they had said no, and then announced that they were taking steps to become a republic. Agreeing to the visit and then acting as if they didn’t even want the Cambridges there, is a bit odd.

It gave the Jamaican PM the chance to showcase to the world's press the fact that he personally thinks that Jamaica should be a republic. Polls when he said this on being elected showed that 55% of Jamaicans were in favour. Maybe it's changed since then, I'm not sure, but it looked as if it any referendum would be a close run thing. This gave him a chance to make it look as if it was all done and dusted. I would think that that's why. Not very fair to those Jamaicans who do not want a republic, and certainly not very fair to William and Kate who are certainly not responsible for Jamaican politics.

Kate and William did the best they could, but no matter how they approached this tour, there were going to be complaints and things that people found offensive. IMO, I don’t think the backlash is just due to the politics surrounding the visit. Nor is it solely about the clothes that Kate is wearing, or shaking hands through a fence. I think a lot of this is due to everything that has transpired within the Royal family within the last few years. Judging by the comments I see on social media, the BRF have been severely damaged by the scandals from the last few years and the accusations of racism. So this tour was never going to come off smoothly.

I don’t think longer royal tours are problematic, but they do tend to follow a “one size fits all” approach that hasn’t really been updated in generations. The part where some sort of local talent is brought out and the royals try to act natural in the midst of all the singing and dancing always seems awkward and should be scrapped. And any activities should play to the visiting royals’ strengths, try to connect to their known interests or talents and actively involve the local population. Basically they should get rid of the parts where the locals are performing for the royals, or the royals are performing for the locals.

For example, instead of a big group of dancers parading in front of the visitors, find an instructor and have William and Kate get a short, fun lesson with a small group of other beginners. If they really need to bang on some drums make sure there are a couple of local kids banging away with them. Both William and Kate do best when they have the opportunity to interact as naturally as possible with the people they meet.

The organizers of the Cambridges tour could've done better and I am certain they will analyze and dissect what they could've done differently given the political climate. They were smart to scrap part of the Belize tour but they should've given more thought to certain optics.

They also could've looked The Prince of Wales visit to Barbados last November. Though his speech was very effective and successful (apologizing for the evils of slavery..etc). There were multiple planned protests against his brief visit and members of the Bajan government speaking out against his presence there.

--
A good read including a quote from our very own Marlene Koenig

https://www.insider.com/prince-william-kate-middleton-tour-adapt-monarchy-future-2022-3

Here's the Prince of Wales' speech from November 2021. He doesn't actually apologize for slavery but acknowledges it as an "atrocity.". William's speech in Jamaica is nearly identical to his father's on the subject of slavery. So I believe that the tone Charles' text was reused for William's when it was being written even though they're not the exact same words. Keep in mind that it is the British Government who will oversee and review these speeches before they are delivered. And it should be noted that an official apology for Britain's role in the Transatlantic Slave Trade was made by then PM Tony Blair in 2007.

https://www.antislavery.org/tony-blair-apologies-britains-role-slave-trade-2/

Madam President, Prime Minister, Distinguished Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen,
I was so deeply touched that you should have invited me to return to Barbados and to join you, on behalf of The Queen, at this moment of such significance for your remarkable Nation.
The creation of this Republic offers a new beginning, but it also marks a point on a continuum – a milestone on the long road you have not only travelled, but which you have built.
Emancipation, self-government and Independence were your way-points. Freedom, justice and self-determFrom the darkest days of our past, and the appalling atrocity of slavery, which forever stains our history, the people of this island forged their path with extraordinary fortitude. ination have been your guides.
Your long journey has brought you to this moment, not as your destination, but as a vantage point from which to survey a new horizon.
https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/speech/speech-hrh-prince-wales-transition-barbados-republic

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article...nce-william-expresses-profound-sorrow-slavery

Anniversaries are also a moment for reflection, particularly this week with the International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade.
I strongly agree with my father, The Prince of Wales, who said in Barbados last year that the appalling atrocity of slavery forever stains our history.
I want to express my profound sorrow. Slavery was abhorrent, And it should never have happened.
While the pain runs deep, Jamaica continues to forge its future with determination, courage and fortitude.

Last edited:
I don’t think longer royal tours are problematic, but they do tend to follow a “one size fits all” approach that hasn’t really been updated in generations. The part where some sort of local talent is brought out and the royals try to act natural in the midst of all the singing and dancing always seems awkward and should be scrapped. And any activities should play to the visiting royals’ strengths, try to connect to their known interests or talents and actively involve the local population. Basically they should get rid of the parts where the locals are performing for the royals, or the royals are performing for the locals.

For example, instead of a big group of dancers parading in front of the visitors, find an instructor and have William and Kate get a short, fun lesson with a small group of other beginners. If they really need to bang on some drums make sure there are a couple of local kids banging away with them. Both William and Kate do best when they have the opportunity to interact as naturally as possible with the people they meet.
When I read some of these posts, I wonder how "royal" these tours would ever be at all. I mean, do people want the Royals to act and be seen like some kind of cultural or foreign ministers, or diplomats...? What´s the point of a "royal tour" if royal people are not allowed any more to act as "Royals"?!

I find these discussions more than annoying and frustrating!

Not going there during the Queen´s Platinum Jubilee would have meant to attract criticism, too ("you see how unimportant we are for these priviliged white people from overseas wanting to be our heads of state").
And no, a royal visit travelling thousends of miles for 1 or 2 days in times of global warming (besides the factor people could feel let down or neglected because of the short stay) would not be a good idea as well!
I guess, in times like these you can never win no matter how "charming" or modern you are or how serious you are about things ...!

Last edited:
The Duke of Cambridge releases as statement on their recent tour.

Quoted comment from Rebecca English. Click the link to read Prince William's statement.
Unprecedented statement from the Duke of Cambridge regarding the Caribbean tour. The trip has prompted conversation and debate. This acknowledges it and shows how he is reflecting on it. Interesting line on his future as head of the Commonwealth. Shows leadership

Last edited:
Here's the Prince of Wales' speech from November 2021. He doesn't actually apologize for slavery but acknowledges it as an "atrocity.". William's speech in Jamaica is nearly identical to his father's on the subject of slavery. So I believe that the tone Charles' text was reused for William's when it was being written even though they're not the exact same words. Keep in mind that it is the British Government who will oversee and review these speeches before they are delivered. And it should be noted that an official apology for Britain's role in the Transatlantic Slave Trade was made by then PM Tony Blair in 2007.

https://www.antislavery.org/tony-blair-apologies-britains-role-slave-trade-2/

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/speech/speech-hrh-prince-wales-transition-barbados-republic

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article...nce-william-expresses-profound-sorrow-slavery

The Atlantic slave trade was not uniquely run by the British. The biggest slave trading nation in Europe by trade volume was actually Portugal, followed then in descending order by Britain, Spain, France, the Netherlands, and, surprisingly, Denmark. Several African states also partnered with the Europeans in the slave trade. And, of course, in the 19th century, the United Kingdom became the most prominent anti-slavery force in Europe. In fact, slavery was already illegal in the British Isles properly by the end of the 18th century and was outlawed in the British Empire as a whole (including the Caribbean colonies) more than 30 years before it became illegal in the United States and more than 50 years before it was abolished in Brazil. Even though the United States outlawed the international slave trade relatively early in the 19th century, it held on to slavery properly long after it became independent from Britain.

The Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge were absolutely correct to point out that slavery was an atrocity that should never have happened, but I often wonder why calls for reparations seem to be directed mostly at Britain, ignoring that slavery was a much broader European practice.

Not going there during the Queen´s Platinum Jubilee would have meant to attract criticism, too ("you see how unimportant we are for these priviliged white people from overseas wanting to be our heads of state").

The British Empire was never homogeneous and the experience that, let's say Australia, Canada or New Zealand had with colonialism differs greatly, I think, from that of, let's say, India, Kenya, Nigeria, or, in different ways, South Africa or Jamaica.

In particular, for those few countries that are still Commonwealth realms, regardless of how they feel about keeping the Queen as Head of State, I would assume that there is an expectation that royal tours happen from time to time. It would be indeed odd for those countries to keep a Royal Family if no one from the Family ever shows up, which BTW is what has been happening in many realms for quite some time.

Opinion polls show that the majority of the population in the realms where those polls are taken tends now to support replacing the monarch with a local Head of State. That doesn't mean, however, that the abolition of the monarchy is imminent in all realms in a near future. In many cases, there isn't agreement on how the Head of State should be elected or what powers he or she should have. Sometimes also, a republic is simply not a priority for the local politicians since constitutional changes involve complicated qualified amendments procedures and may bring up other unrelated issues which the local government would prefer not to re-visit.

So, in a way, even though the Commonwealth realm model is an anachronism and somewhat abnormal for fully independent countries, it is a model that may linger for quite some time still and, as long as the realms exist as such, royal tours must continue to take place in my opinion.

Last edited:
The Atlantic slave trade was not uniquely run by the British. The biggest slave trading nation in Europe by trade volume was actually Portugal, followed then in descending order by Britain, Spain, France, the Netherlands, and, surprisingly, Denmark. Several African states also partnered with the Europeans in the slave trade. And, of course, in the 19th century, the United Kingdom became the most prominent anti-slavery force in Europe. In fact, slavery was already illegal in the British Isles properly by the end of the 18th century and was outlawed in the British Empire as a whole (including the Caribbean colonies) more than 30 years before it became illegal in the United States and more than 50 years before it was abolished in Brazil. Even though the United States outlawed the international slave trade relatively early in the 19th century, it held on to slavery properly long after it became independent from Britain.

The Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge were absolutely correct to point out that slavery was an atrocity that should never have happened, but I often wonder why calls for reparations seem to be directed mostly at Britain, ignoring that slavery was a much broader European practice considering that those nations benefited from this abhorrent practice as well.
Excellent points MBruno and like you I wonder why this is mostly directed at Britain and not at the other nations in Europe and Africa that participated in the Transatlantic slave trade. Sadly even in the modern era, slavery still continues around the globe.

I am not sure why you think the call for reparations is primarily focused on Britain. Probably in the States you are more aware of those calls as they are written in English but at least in the Netherlands that debate is taking place as well... Also, it makes sense for former British colonies to focus on Britain just like it makes sense for other countries that were once colonies of a different country to focus on that specific country.

Found this other perspective/opinion on the tour.

The Duke of Cambridge releases as statement on their recent tour.

Quoted comment from Rebecca English. Click the link to read Prince William's statement.

The statement is great. I like the measured tone and how it acknowledges the issue that overshadowed the tour without sounding defensive. It clarifies what William finds valuable about these tours and drives home the point that he sees inherent value in The Commonwealth independent of whatever official role he may have in it. I think it’s very well done.

The statement is great. I like the measured tone and how it acknowledges the issue that overshadowed the tour without sounding defensive. It clarifies what William finds valuable about these tours and drives home the point that he sees inherent value in The Commonwealth independent of whatever official role he may have in it. I think it’s very well done.

I agree. It was very well written.

From an Australian perspective, there hasn't been much on our news about the tour, just a few small video clips of Catherine and William now and then. So it hasn't come across as being a disaster at all. I suppose there's a lot more about it in the English press. What about the rest of the world?

Beautifully written statement by William. Very proud of him. True leadership.

Also, the Jamaican pm played William and Kate. They are secularly famous and he used their star power to further his own agenda.that is why he wanted them there…nasty

I am not sure why you think the call for reparations is primarily focused on Britain. Probably in the States you are more aware of those calls as they are written in English but at least in the Netherlands that debate is taking place as well... Also, it makes sense for former British colonies to focus on Britain just like it makes sense for other countries that were once colonies of a different country to focus on that specific country.

Found this other perspective/opinion on the tour.

Yes, I admit that the topic of reparations has been discussed both in the Netherlands and in France too.

Nevertheless, going back to my original point, Portuguese America actually was by far the biggest slave importer, accounting for 38.5 % of the Atlantic slave trade, followed by the British West Indies with 18.4 %, the Spanish colonies with 17.5 %, the French West Indies with 13.6 %, British North America with 9.7 %, the Dutch West Indies with 2 %, and the Danish West Indies with only 0.3 %. Yet, slave reparations is an issue which, as far as I know, has never been seriously raised either in Brazil or in the Spanish-speaking countries, and is a debate that is more commonly associated with English-speaking (or secondarily French or Dutch-speaking) countries in the Caribbean. Why?

Last edited:
Article in The Times by Roya Nikkah:

Prince William casts doubt over future leadership of the Commonwealth

Archive link

This is the part that I find most intriguing:

(...)

Criticism had again been hurled during a military parade in Kingston, where they took to the Land Rover used by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh on tour in 1962. What was intended as a fond nod to Her Majesty’s connections to the Commonwealth instead evoked for many the unfortunate relics of Britain’s colonial past.

“It just looks like they have come out of the 1950s — it’s a bad look,” admitted a royal source. Professor Rosalea Hamilton, director of the Institute of Law and Economics in Jamaica, had a blunter interpretation: “They signify this young generation is continuing the monarchical traditions of holding one race superior and another inferior.”

In reality nothing could be further from the truth for the Cambridges and the wider royal family. Aides note that military parades have set-in-stone protocols, and the Jamaica Defence Force specifically requested they use the vehicle, but they concede that some of the “set pieces” for tours need to be more closely scrutinised in future.

(...)

I don't want to speculate, but it does feel like the Jamaica trip was a set-up by the Jamaican government intentionally to highlight the colonialism. I doubt the state-banquet-like reception which would require all regalias was at KP's request. And poor W&K getting caught in the middle.

I wonder whether W&K were chosen at the request of the Jamaican government (to make sure that it'd get the maximum world media's attention) or it was the BRF's idea (they already being suspicious of this "set-up" and thought that compare to Charles or Wessexes, the Cambridge's popularity would have more chance to sustain the damage).

Last edited:
The idea of “we respect the decision of the people” is nothing new. I remember that same comment being made prior to the referendum held here in Australia. I’m thinking by the Duchess of Kent but am more than happy to be corrected. After the referendum, the Queen echoed the same idea - that its a matter for the peoples of the country concerned and the monarchy will respect that decision.

As for the leadership of the commonwealth, it has never been the case that it is automatically the monarch of the UK. That is why the Queen went to such pains to promote her wish that the next head should be Charles.

The 'we respect the decision of the people' was in fact said by The Queen herself. She actually said 'it is a decision for the Australian people and we will respect it'.

Charles was a bit more political - "I am surprised they haven't already done it' or words to that effect.

In the end the republican movement was so disorganised that the referendum failed.

A simple plebiscite should be held, within a few months of the next election to determine if a republic is actually what the majority of Australians, and a majority of the states actually want. If so we should be able to say 'The Queen is dead ... Long Live the Republic of Australia'.

The 'we respect the decision of the people' was in fact said by The Queen herself. She actually said 'it is a decision for the Australian people and we will respect it'.

Charles was a bit more political - "I am surprised they haven't already done it' or words to that effect.

In the end the republican movement was so disorganised that the referendum failed.

A simple plebiscite should be held, within a few months of the next election to determine if a republic is actually what the majority of Australians, and a majority of the states actually want. If so we should be able to say 'The Queen is dead ... Long Live the Republic of Australia'.

Thank you for correcting me. I knew somebody said it before the referendum.

The Queen was at an event for the Rugby World Cup when the question was asked. Australia was one of the teams in the final.

After the event - I think a reception for the two finalist teams - the Australian captain said that he and the rest of the team hoped that they would be able to be the first Australian team or sportsperson to win a trophy after Australia had voted to become a republic. He, and the rest of the team, had voted at Australia House. Of course when The Queen handed him the trophy she had just heard that Australia had voted to keep her as The Queen.

Back
Top Bottom