King Willem-Alexander, Current Events Part 2 (October 2017- November 2020)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow king Felipe's beard (visually) makes him more of a statesman while I would argue the opposite for king Willem-Alexander.

Somehow king Felipe's beard (visually) makes him more of a statesman while I would argue the opposite for king Willem-Alexander.

I see no difference in beards. But I see a difference in costumes. The dessin of the one Don Felipe wore is really for grandpas. Brrrrr.

I have the same feeling, for some reason to me K.Felipe's looks distnguished, K.W-A's looks scruffy :flowers:

Some more photos of this year's ceremony for the Royal Award for Modern Painting can be found here:

** ppe gallery **

King Willem-Alexander received the new Ambassadors of Croatia, Laos, and Greece today, October 30:

** ppe gallery ** rex gallery **

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander has a meeting today 30 October with National Ombudsman Reinier van Zutphen and his team. The ombudsmen of the Netherlands, Curacao and Sint Maarten spoke with the king about developments in their countries and the role of their institute in problems with the government.

https://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=6000334

Today, November 1, King Willem-Alexander has sworn in Raymond Knops, State Secretary of the Home Affairs Ministry, as a new Minister as Kasja Ollongren, Minister of Home Affairs and Kingdom Relations and Deputy Prime Minister, is temporarily stepping down due to an illness:

** Pic ** ppe gallery ** anp gallery **

Last edited:

Today, November 1, King Willem-Alexander has sworn in Raymond Knops, State Secretary of the Home Affairs Ministry, as a new Minister as Kasja Ollongren, Minister of Home Affairs and Kingdom Relations and Deputy Prime Minister, is temporarily stepping down due to an illness:

** Pic ** ppe gallery ** anp gallery **

I like it that the King maintains the dresscode, even when it is just an in-between investiture. He himself changes in jacquet and the Court expects the same from the male authorities. You do not see that anymore in other European monarchies. Only in Japan the ministers change in jacquet as well.

Two new ministers were sworn in. The lady in the picture is also a new minister: Stientje van Veldhoven. Just like Raymond Knops she was a state secretary until now (but at a different ministry). More importantly, she is a member from the same political party as the one that is temporarily stepping down; so she must have been added to make sure that they don't go back in number of ministers for the time being.

Two more changes were made but in those cases the ones with added responsibility already were minister of a department, so no need to be sworn in by the king.

THE OATH

The oath is read out by the Director of the Kabinet van de Koning:

" I swear that, in order to be appointed as minister, I have not given or promised any gift or favor, neither directly nor indirectly, under any name or pretext.

" I swear that, in order to do - or not to do- anything in this Office, I have not accepted or will accept any gift or promise, neither directly nor indirectly.

" I swear allegiance to The King, to the Statute for the Kingdom and to the Constitution.

" I swear that I will faithfully fulfill the duties that my Office imposes on me."

The director requests the minister to step forward. The minister raises his hand and declares in front of the King:

" So truly help me God almighty! " (religious version)
or
" I do declare and promise that! " (non-religious version)

Last edited:
Today, November 6, King Willem-Alexander has paid a working visit to the Leeuwarden Air Base for the inspection of two new aircrafts:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** anp gallery **

This is a start of a series of meetings with the group chairmen/women in the senate ('first chamber') after the senate was installed in June. 8 of them are new in this position; the other 5 have been group chair for some time (most about 4 years but one up to 14 years)

Typically the group chairman/woman in the 'lower house' ('second chamber') is considered the party leader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, November 6, King Willem-Alexander has paid a working visit to the Leeuwarden Air Base for the inspection of two new aircrafts:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** anp gallery **

Yes, the King visited the first delivery of 47 new Joint Strike Fighters and also the first of 9 new MQ-9 Reapers (Predator B), which are unmanned aerial vehicles. It comes with 4 Mobile Ground Stations.

The 306 sqn of the Royal Netherlands Air Force, based in Leeuwarden, will operate the Reapers.

The 322 sqn of the Royal Netherlands Air Force, also based in Leeuwarden, the squadron which is part of the "Quick Reaction Force", will operate this first batch of new Joint Strike Fighters.

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander received Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew at Palace Huis ten Bosch today, November 8.

The Patriarch is visiting the Netherlands for the "Water in times of climate changes, a values-driven dialogue" symposium.

** Pic ** anp gallery **

Last edited:
Two new ministers were sworn in. The lady in the picture is also a new minister: Stientje van Veldhoven. Just like Raymond Knops she was a state secretary until now (but at a different ministry). More importantly, she is a member from the same political party as the one that is temporarily stepping down; so she must have been added to make sure that they don't go back in number of ministers for the time being.

Two more changes were made but in those cases the ones with added responsibility already were minister of a department, so no need to be sworn in by the king.

THE OATH

The oath is read out by the Director of the Kabinet van de Koning:

" I swear that, in order to be appointed as minister, I have not given or promised any gift or favor, neither directly nor indirectly, under any name or pretext.

" I swear that, in order to do - or not to do- anything in this Office, I have not accepted or will accept any gift or promise, neither directly nor indirectly.

" I swear allegiance to The King, to the Statute for the Kingdom and to the Constitution.

" I swear that I will faithfully fulfill the duties that my Office imposes on me."

The director requests the minister to step forward. The minister raises his hand and declares in front of the King:

" So truly help me God almighty! " (religious version)
or
" I do declare and promise that! " (non-religious version)

This is a start of a series of meetings with the group chairmen/women in the senate ('first chamber') after the senate was installed in June. 8 of them are new in this position; the other 5 have been group chair for some time (most about 4 years but one up to 14 years)

Typically the group chairman/woman in the 'lower house' ('second chamber') is considered the party leader.

Thank you both for providing information about these functions.

When one appreciates the frequency of new installations in legislative positions, one assumes the King's involvement contributes by offering the impression of continuity.

I wonder if "in order to be appointed as minister, I have not given or promised any gift or favor" was included in the oath because of ministers earlier in history who did exactly that.

Last edited:
Is this photos his private home?

Yes, this is in Huis Den Bosch.

Thank you both for providing information about these functions.

When one appreciates the frequency of new installations in legislative positions, one assumes the King's involvement contributes by offering the impression of continuity.

I wonder if "in order to be appointed as minister, I have not given or promised any gift or favor" was included in the oath because of ministers earlier in history who did exactly that.

The Oath is in fact an assemblage of two oaths: an Oath of Purification and an Oath of Office. This double oath exists top down in the whole machinery of state: from the minister to a civil servant.

A breach of an Oath of Purification is prosecutable as an Act of Perjury.
A breach of an Oath of Office is prosecutable as a Misconduct in an Office.

After declaring himself or herself "pure", the road is free for the Oath of Office.
In the Netherlands it is an ancient custom, going back to the Republic, where officials and clerks in the service of the Lords Burgomasters and Aldermen, in the service of the Lords States and in the service of the Lords States-General had to make these Oaths. Including the holders of the supreme Office, the Stadtholders, which were the Princes of the House (Orange-) Nassau.

Last edited:

King Willem-Alexander received the new Ambassadors of Turkmenistan, Mali and Zambia at Noordeinde Palace today, November 13:

** ppe gallery **

Today, November 20, King Willem-Alexander received the new Ambassadors of Algeria and Ecuador at Palace Noordeinde:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Later he paid a working visit to CVO Accent Practical Education:

** rex gallery ** anp gallery ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander received the Ambassadors of Burundi, Qatar and the Maledives today, November 27:

** ppe gallery **

Later he opened the renewed memorial centre of the National Monument Camp Vught:

** anp gallery **

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom