Christening of Prince Nicolas: October 11, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Duc_et_Pair, & @JR76 - I don't think Lillian can be used as a precedent because Daniel had his coat of arms four days before his wedding to Victoria. That was in 2010. Silvia was putting the Seraphim sash on Daniel right after the ceremony.

We don't know who put Daniel the sash after the wedding ceremony. This photo (and the versions of it), which is in the internet, is from Victoria's and Daniel's wedding book. The book tells that it is taken at the Royal Palace just before the official wedding photos were taken.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Here is a gallery from Robin Utrecht, it has absolutely gorgeous photos also of the Drottningholm Palace.
Princess Madeleine of Sweden and her husband Chris O'Neill will have their newborn son Prince Nicola - Images _ Robin Utrecht _ Photoshelter

Last edited:
@JR76 - so the Riksdag hands out the orders? I thought the sovereign did, at least according to Wikipedia (update needed?)

Here's a Twitter GIF Carl Philip winking at the godmother after she gave the reading:

https://twitter.com/Lividikos/status/653160935662710784

Really, dude? Your wife is across the aisle. SMH.
Lol, it looked more like a "well done", affirmation of a sort to accknowledge that she made it through. Hardly a flirt :p

You're right but after 1975 it's the government that hands out orders and not the King.
Not exactly, since 1995 it's the government who decides which foreign citizens who can receive the orders, but the monarch who decides when the members of the royal family receives their orders.
Enligt den gällande ordenskungörelsen administreras utdelningen av Serafimer- och Nordstjärneordnarna av ordenskapitlet vid Kungl. Maj:ts orden, där statschefen är stormästare, i enlighet med de stadgar som regeringen godkänner. Regeringen beslutar vilka utlänningar som kan tilldelas ordnar men ordenskapitlet kan utan regeringens förord förläna ordnar till medlemmar av Sveriges kungahus. Denna ändring skedde 1995 eftersom regeringen ansåg att framtida monarker skulle kunna bära de ordnar som de delar ut.
From Wikipedia.

As there haven't been any official notification that Sofia have got the Seraphim or the North Star order, I doubt she has got it yet. Perhaps she'll get one before the Nobel Prize festivities, perhaps not.
Has Estelle's tot sized gilt chair been seen before?
The chair have been around for a while, here's a photo from the baptism of Madeleine, both Victoria and Carl Philip are seated on small gilded chairs: http://s1.sydsvenskan-img.se/Scaled...93b24ddcb21&fill=False&cut=False&ql=Undefined

Last edited:
Not exactly, since 1995 it's the government who decides which foreign citizens who can receive the orders, but the monarch who decides when the members of the royal family receives their orders.

Which is exactly why Lilian didn't get the Seraphim at the time of her marriage in 1976. Instead she got it in 1995 as soon as the King was free to hand it to members of the Royal family.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Here's a Twitter GIF Carl Philip winking at the godmother after she gave the reading:

https://twitter.com/Lividikos/status/653160935662710784

Really, dude? Your wife is across the aisle. SMH.

Jesus. Pushing it, are we? :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: There was absolutely nothing flirty over that wink. "The godmother", Christopher's sister, had just said a prayer, and as hernameispekka said, this wink was an acknowledgement to her from CP. Nothing more.

Was a few minutes from the reception-thingy at Drottningholm televised liked it was with Estelle and Leonore? You know, when Nicolas lies in the cradle?

Was a few minutes from the reception-thingy at Drottningholm televised liked it was with Estelle and Leonore? You know, when Nicolas lies in the cradle?
No, not this time. It was shortened to just the cermony with no talk stuff before or after either. Probably as a compromise between not showing it at all or doing a full broadcast.

Jesus. Pushing it, are we? :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: There was absolutely nothing flirty over that wink. "The godmother", Christopher's sister, had just said a prayer, and as hernameispekka said, this wink was an acknowledgement to her from CP. Nothing more.

Indeed a masterful acknowledgement....and an impressive use of muscular control!:flowers:

Most Swedes doesn't bow to the altar these days the main reason being that they don't know they're supposed to. I do but I'm more often than not the only one doing so. We're not a churchgoing people and in general most of us only take part in a church service for christenings, weddings and funerals with the odd service at Christmas now and then.

Most Swedes doesn't bow to the altar these days the main reason being that they don't know they're supposed to. I do but I'm more often than not the only one doing so. We're not a churchgoing people and in general most of us only take part in a church service for christenings, weddings and funerals with the odd service at Christmas now and then.

I agree. And I've been in church milues alot (albeit not in the Lutheran Church) and I've never heard of it. :p

For those who didn't see the christening, here it is for 30 days
Prins Nicolas dop - 11_10 11.45 _ SVT Play

Video from the courtyard
Här visas den nydöpta prinsen upp för folket _ SVT Play
Här möter nydöpta prinsen allmänheten - TV4 Play

Victoria, Daniel and Estelle leaving. Victoria took photos, I guess from the Nicolas's monogram made of apples to the park.
http://media.shootitlive.com/WHuQhhBWteDBkUTcJjVGD9vnY5z/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2059
http://media.shootitlive.com/8SeqDg2e3iQq0msDizqQmQ0N2uU/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2059

Videos from Bunte:
All
http://www.bunte.de/schweden/madele...eckte-hutparade-der-royalen-taufe-167771.html
Victoria, Daniel and Estelle
http://www.bunte.de/schweden/estelle-von-schweden-bibber-alarm-bei-der-eisprinzessin-167791.html

From the twitter of Jarmo Viinanen, the ambassador of Finland in Sweden
"Books +desk from the Speaker and the PM. Rocking horse from the staff and a Park from the County for Prince Nicolas. "
https://twitter.com/JarmoViinanen/status/653181163385843712

It was told earlier that at the reception the Prime minister and Speaker give a present, the royal court staff gives a present and the County gives a present.

Last edited:
In Catholic and Church of England (Episcopal in the US) one genuflect or bow for the Blessed Sacrament or the altar. A lamp will be lit if the Blessed Sacrament is present. In other denominations it is often a sign of respect to bow at the altar. Unfortunately many of the traditions have been forgotten or ignored. One should perhaps look at entering the church with more reverence than entering a restaurant.
Yes, I understand why it's done. I just didn't know that it was done in a classical Swedish church, that's all :) I've never seen anyone do it here :)

And this "gesture" showed in your opinion what?! Madeleines great love for her sister in law? What would this have to do with the christening of M´s son? Come on...

I assume this was directed at my post. :flowers:

It's clear to me that the SRF women coordinate colors and outfits. We have evidence of that. I see Madeleine making an effort to actively embrace her new sister-in-law (at least in public, and I see no reason she would not be doing it privately).

It appears to me now that red (of some varieted hue) was a secondary color at the wedding (among a wash of blue and gray). The red hair piece on Madeleine did not go with the color of the dress she was wearing imo, but it did pick up on Sofia's dress (which was the most modest length of all the ladies sitting in her row btw. Sofia is definitely making every effort to be a good royal. I commend her. She has my vote these days).

Here is a great snapshot of a not particularly pleased Nicolas: Prins Nicolas græd sig gennem dåben | billedbladet.dk

Yep. Fussy baby, like Madeleine was. :flowers:

Yep. :flowers: Chip off the 'ol Madeleine.

Princess Madeleine looked great. I like it so much better if she has her hair up. :flowers:
Crown Princess Victoria looked lovely in purple.
Princess Estelle and Princess Leonore were adorable.
I didn't really like the outfit of Princess Sofia.

I am surprised that Princess Christina was not among the guests. Is it known why she didn't attend?

I am surprised that Princess Christina was not among the guests. Is it known why she didn't attend?

According to her husband she was busy doing something in France.

Yes I was wondering where Princess Christina was also?

The main reason for Princess Lilian not receiving the Order of the Seraphim earlier was that between 1974 and 1995 it was prohibited for Swedish citizens to receive the order. That's also the reason for Queen Silvia to receive it before the wedding (and not after like Prince Daniel) when she still held West-German citizenship.

Prohibited for swed. citizens? But the King´s sisters are all swedish citizens, aren´t they?

Prohibited for swed. citizens? But the King´s sisters are all swedish citizens, aren´t they?

They all got their orders in 1952 before the big reform of the order system in 1975.

Last edited:
According to her husband she was busy doing something in France.

Yeah.. And when asked if buissnes or pleasure he said that it was a bit of both :p

I just finished watching the playback of the christening. I have to say, I laughed out loud when little Nicolas was crying loudly, Leonore was not reined in like mom and dad were trying! It made me just realize that for all of the beauty, formality, ceremony - they are parents of 2 very young children and have their hands full, just like the rest of us! And with the sweet and helpful cousin Estelle running to get a pacifier to help her newest cousin. I loved it all. Faith and Family! Wonderful!

I just finished watching the playback of the christening. I have to say, I laughed out loud when little Nicolas was crying loudly, Leonore was not reined in like mom and dad were trying! It made me just realize that for all of the beauty, formality, ceremony - they are parents of 2 very young children and have their hands full, just like the rest of us! And with the sweet and helpful cousin Estelle running to get a pacifier to help her newest cousin. I loved it all. Faith and Family! Wonderful!
Hahah, exactly! It got a bit sweaty at moments. But that's the charm of it ! :)

I watched it back and was shocked to see a guest texting during the first hymn! He was sitting with Chris' family.

I watched it back and was shocked to see a guest texting during the first hymn! He was sitting with Chris' family.
Huh? I didn't see that! :O The only ones I saw texting (or maybe tweeting) was the politicians while they waited for the rest to arrive!

Her son Oscar was with his sister-in-law Vicky Magnuson, whose husband Gustaf was one of the godparents.
Oscar's wife Emma was absent too.
Victor Magnuson and his partner Frida came with their newborn second son Sigvard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom