Christening of Prince Nicolas: October 11, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emma Pernald doesn't attend at the christening. Expressen claims that the reason is that Carl Philip does not want to see his ex-girlfriend at the church. According to Aftonbladet it is Sofia who doesn't want Emma there.
It is extremely sad that the christening of Nicolas, a happy day of Madeleine and Chris, will be disturbed by this kind of thing.
According to Aftonbladet Emma Pernald would not just have been a guest, Madeleine wanted her as a godparent, but Sofia didn't like that idea. Källa: Hon skulle ha blivit prins Nicolas fadder – portas nu från kyrkan | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

From Aftonbladet:

Princess Madeleine wanted her best friend Emma Pernald as godmother to Prince Nicolas, according to a court source.
But just days before the ceremony Carl Philip's ex-girlfriend is ported from the church - after Princess Sofia's desire, said the source.
- For various reasons, I am unfortunately not able to attend the baptism, says Emma Pernald to Aftonbladet.

Expressen has previously written that Prince Carl Philip is one of those who have received the honor to be a godparent.
According to a court source prince would have been joined as a sponsor by his former girlfriend Emma Pernald.
- They have been talking about it and both Madeleine and Emma wanted it to be so, said the source.
Since the breakup with the Prince Emma Pernald married and had children. But she has been in the royal family's proximity - as one of Princess Madeleine's closest friends.
Because of their close relationship got Pernald therefore the question of becoming a godparent. But just days before Sunday's baptism came the turn from the royal family: Emma Pernald may not even come into the church.
Reportedly, Princess Sofia has difficult to accept the prince's ex-girlfriend and the atmosphere between them shall be icy, as several sources testified for a long time.
- It is because of Sofia to which the decision is based. She does not want Emma to be there, says the court source.
The announcement has stirred up emotions in the royal house.
- To Madeleine the whole situation is very difficult. She is caught between the royal family's public role and one of her best friends, says a court source.
- Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the christening of different reasons. The reasons are not needed to be shared with the media, says Emma Pernald.
Margareta Thorgren doesn't want to comment Emma Pernald's absence.
Aftonbladet has sought in vain Christina Saliba, who works with public relations for Princess Sofia.
Källa_ Hon skulle ha blivit prins Nicolas fadder – portas nu från kyrkan _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

this is so undignified of them. it is madeleine's and nicholas' day - not CP and sofia's. CP and sofia need to show some maturity and accept things as they are if madeleine wants her long time girlfriend emma to be a godmother, now it turns out the poor girl will not only not be a godparent, she will just not be invited at all on the wishes of CP and sofia! it sounds to me so despotic, childish, immature and unroyal. 'noblesse oblige' is certainly not a concept that has been understood in certain parts of the family...

immature to me is madeleine. She may think that this is an uncomfortable position for his brother. Did you always want to see his ex.
How to create a melodrama for the baptism of his son.

I don't know what kind of threat Emma would be, to be honest: she has moved on, she is married now, has her own kids. She is a close friend of Madeleine and is not even allowed to attend the baptism of her best friend! I love how Emma has always kept a low profile and has given very poised answers to the press... Emma is a dignified lady for sure and it is sad that she can't even sit on the background of the church.

immature to me is madeleine. She may think that this is an uncomfortable position for his brother. Did you always want to see his ex.
How to create a melodrama for the baptism of his son.

Madeleine has the right to invite one of her best friends to the baptism of her child. If the article in Aftonbladet tells the truth, Carl Philip and Sofia are very immature. Carl Philip and Sofia are married and it would be reasonable to them to accept that they see Emma now and then at some family event concerning Madeleine's family. They are not seeing Emma always, perhaps once a year or once in two years. Carl Philip claimed at a TV-interview that he has never felt love before he met Sofia. So Sofia should very confident about her position and seeing Emma at Nicolas's christening shouldn't be a problem. Emma has done nothing wrong. Madeleine has known Emma for over 15 years, should she now abandon one of her closest friends because of Sofia?
Both Emma and Sofia were at Madeleine's wedding, why can't Emma be at the christenings?

Madeleine has the right to invite one of her best friends to the baptism of her child. If the article in Aftonbladet tells the truth, Carl Philip and Sofia are very immature. Carl Philip and Sofia are married and it would be reasonable to them to accept that they see Emma now and then at some family event concerning Madeleine's family. They are not seeing Emma always, perhaps once a year or once in two years. Carl Philip claimed at a TV-interview that he has never felt love before he met Sofia. So Sofia should very confident about her position and seeing Emma at Nicolas's christening shouldn't be a problem. Emma has done nothing wrong. Madeleine has known Emma for over 15 years, should she now abandon one of her closest friends because of Sofia?
Both Emma and Sofia were at Madeleine's wedding, why can't Emma be at the christenings?

Well said LadyFinn! :flowers:

Apparently this was not just an invitation but she wanted her godmother.
And nobody said it was a threat.
Did we want to have his 'ex' to family reunion for your godson. As a sister, she can not ask his brother what he thinks. No it is better to pass it off as a 'villain' in the press. And of course in Sofia.

Let us keep in our head that it is Aftonbladet. No idea how it looks? See Aftonbladet: Sveriges nyhetskälla och mötesplats and the whole lay-out already screams: "gutter press". Take it with the necessary kilos of salt, please.
I agree. Aftonbladet is a rag. Not a Hänt extra "triplets on the cover"-rag but a rag none the less. Ofc this was the story they would be going with. We have no proof more than Emma saying she won't be there.

Let us keep in our head that it is Aftonbladet. No idea how it looks? See Aftonbladet: Sveriges nyhetskälla och mötesplats and the whole lay-out already screams: "gutter press". Take it with the necessary kilos of salt, please.

Sofia imo has enough self confidence not to be intimidated by anyone. I did not follow CP and Emma's relationship but from what I read Emma is equally well grounded. If Emma were present the focus of the day and the headlines in Monday's papers would be about Emma and Princess Sofia not about the new prince. Maybe the PR of the court or Emma and her husband decided to avoid all the attention.

Sofia imo has enough self confidence not to be intimidated by anyone. I did not follow CP and Emma's relationship but from what I read Emma is equally well grounded. If Emma were present the focus of the day and the headlines in Monday's papers would be about Emma and Princess Sofia not about the new prince. Maybe the PR of the court or Emma and her husband decided to avoid all the attention.

it sounds very logical, but it is so much easier to always attack the same people
and then you have to sell paper,

I agree. Aftonbladet is a rag. Not a Hänt extra "triplets on the cover"-rag but a rag none the less. Ofc this was the story they would be going with. We have no proof more than Emma saying she won't be there.

Yes. But one can think that Emma, who has been described as a very nice and smart woman, would attend at the christenings of the child of her very close friend. It doesn't seem very likely that she would miss two christenings on her own reason. As Madeleine's close friend she certainly gets the dates as soon as they have been decided.

If true, it is very messed up for Carl Philip and Sofia to object to Emma being a guest at Nicolas' christening.

If Emma was named Nicolas' godmother, along with Carl Philip, I would give Madeleine a great big :nonono:, :rolleyes: and :shifty: for pulling that move, nevertheless Carl Philip and Sofia should just grin and bear it.

Yes. But one can think that Emma, who has been described as a very nice and smart woman, would attend at the christenings of the child of her very close friend. It doesn't seem very likely that she would miss two christenings on her own reason. As Madeleine's close friend she certainly gets the dates as soon as they have been decided.
It's probably "on their own decision" as in her not wanting to be the story. Hence taking the decision to sit that one out and hang out with the family on non-official time instead.

This is such a questionable story, a standard tabloid piece meant to scapegoat Sofia yet again, and I honestly can't believe that people fall for it (or, well, if you're adamant to believe the worst about Sofia, I suppose it makes sense that some believe it). If Madeleine truly wanted Emma to be godmother of Nicolas, it would happen, regardless of CP and Sofia's feelings on the matter. It is not for CP and Sofia to decide the godparents and least of all the guest list. In the unlikely case that CP and Sofia somehow have complained about the choice of godparents/guests, I trust Madeleine to be old enough to tell them to mind their own business and Emma to withstand a possible pressure (? I'm still not sure what people are arguing – that CP and Sofia have pressured her to quit the christening AND role of godmother?) on her to say no. But again, this sounds so unreliable because the Madeleine I know is a girl with a mind of her own who won't let others push her around.

I agree wholeheartedly. This is pure gossip. But alas, it's a Sofia-critical article so some people won't miss the chance of getting to jump on her.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree
We cant believe all the tabloid stories ;)

Even if it is true it would be awkward for everyone. Imagine the opposite. In a future baptism of Carl-Phil child was invited or godfather the former fiancé of Madeleine.
Awkward.

Last edited:
Even if it is true it would be awkward for everyone. Imagine the opposite. In a future baptism of Carl-Phil child was invited or godfather the former fiancé of Madeleine.
Awkward.

+1
that's the word : Awkward

I will not go on baptism- confirmed Emma Pernald to Expressen.
Why?

Well, after reading Emma's comment, to me it is pretty clear that something in spot on. And I totally rely on this, because it is not the first time that Emma has released a comment on a mag, if she were contacted.

Källa: Hon skulle ha blivit prins Nicolas fadder – portas nu från kyrkan | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

- For different reasons. Reasons that are not needed to be shared with the media-
- It is clear that it is a pity since Princess Madeleine and I are good friends.-
Does it deal with Carl Philip?
- I said, the causes are not needed to be shared with the media

Expressen has updated their article I posted earlier:
Margareta Thorgren says in a later comment that it is Chris O'Neill and Princess Madeleine who made the decision.
Is it true that it is Princess Madeleine's and Chris O'Neill's will that is behind that Emma Pernald may not come to baptism on Sunday?
- We're not talking about who is invited in advance. We show the guest list on Sunday. Otherwise, when it comes to the guest list the court doesn't comment on who is invited and not invited.
Margareta Thorgren confirms also who made the decision about who should be invited to the christening.
- The guest list is determined by the royal couple and the princess couple, says Thorgren in a text message to Expressen.

Emma is one of Madeleine's best friends and of course doesn't want to hurt her. But I don't also think that Madeleine would ask Emma to lie to the press. Emma could have stopped all speculation by saying "I don't attend at the christening because unfortunately I have another (family) event to attend" or something like that, if that would be true.
But as she said what she said, I interpret it like that the reason is that she is Carl Philip's ex-girlfriend and someone doesn't want her to the chapel, there could be many reasons to that. I say still that since Emma could attend at Madeleine's wedding and prince Carl Philip and miss Sofia Hellqvist were there, why she can't attend at a christening where prince Carl Philip and princess Sofia attend?

i do hope that emma is invited and gets to be godmother if that was madeleine's wish, i see no reason for CP and sofia to complain about that. however, after reading your comments, i will put a pinch of salt to the news and wait until the christening to see what happens (is emma there? is she godmother?) to emit my judgement. maybe the press wants to keep tarnishing the already tarnished image sofia has...

If true it's all a bit childish isn't it?! As a guest you have no say in who else gets invited to an event. If you don't like some other guest you just shut up, smile and try to behave. #manners

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
for the baptism of leonor, she was invited, and cancel as in the final moments, due to 'illness'
and at the time, sofia and carl philip were not married, so there I do not think sofia may have had some influence, is not it,

Why is Emma being dragged into this beautiful family event?

As Archduchesse Zelia said, I can't believe people are falling for this story. There is nothing that sells better in the tabloids than "girl fights". Just ridiculous.

This is such a questionable story, a standard tabloid piece meant to scapegoat Sofia yet again, and I honestly can't believe that people fall for it (or, well, if you're adamant to believe the worst about Sofia, I suppose it makes sense that some believe it). If Madeleine truly wanted Emma to be godmother of Nicolas, it would happen, regardless of CP and Sofia's feelings on the matter. It is not for CP and Sofia to decide the godparents and least of all the guest list. In the unlikely case that CP and Sofia somehow have complained about the choice of godparents/guests, I trust Madeleine to be old enough to tell them to mind their own business and Emma to withstand a possible pressure (? I'm still not sure what people are arguing – that CP and Sofia have pressured her to quit the christening AND role of godmother?) on her to say no. But again, this sounds so unreliable because the Madeleine I know is a girl with a mind of her own who won't let others push her around.

You have said what I think about this possible issue much better than I could. Sofia is a grown woman, and as others have said she seems strong enough to be able to deal with such situations. I think she would also be old enough realise that Emma isn't there just to stir things between her and Carl Philip but more because she is friends with Madeleine herself.
I think this article is more likely a case of Aftonbladet wanting to write about something because there's not much exciting royal news until the christening.

Why is Emma being dragged into this beautiful family event?

As has been mentioned previously in this thread she is close friends with Madeleine and therefore is still in contact with the SRF. It was just because Aftonbladet claimed Emma hasn't been invited as per Sofia's wishes that she is now being discussed.

Last edited:
You have said what I think about this possible issue much better than I could. Sofia is a grown woman, and as others have said she seems strong enough to be able to deal with such situations. I think she would also be old enough realise that Emma isn't there just to stir things between her and Carl Philip but more because she is friends with Madeleine herself.
I think this article is more likely a case of Aftonbladet wanting to write about something because there's not much exciting royal news until the christening.

As has been mentioned previously in this thread she is close friends with Madeleine and therefore is still in contact with the SRF. It was just because Aftonbladet claimed Emma hasn't been invited as per Sofia's wishes that she is now being discussed.

I understand Emma is good friends with Madeleine and the royal family, but there's really no need to drag her into this and make it seem like Sofia is keeping her away. If she's invited, then she'll attend, if she's not, she won't be there. I just think folks need to let it go now.

I understand Emma is good friends with Madeleine and the royal family, but there's really no need to drag into this and make it seem like Sofia is keeping her away. If she's invited, then she'll attend, if she's not, she won't be there. I just think folks need to let it go now.

I must've misread your post - my apologies.
Then I agree, if Emma is invited she will turn up. As I said in my previous post it would be rather childish if Sofia made Madeleine not invite Emma which is why I think this story is just another gossip article.

i do hope that emma is invited and gets to be godmother if that was madeleine's wish, i see no reason for CP and sofia to complain about that. however, after reading your comments, i will put a pinch of salt to the news and wait until the christening to see what happens (is emma there? is she godmother?) to emit my judgement. maybe the press wants to keep tarnishing the already tarnished image sofia has...

Sofia doesn't really have a tarnished image. She's been actually very successful in her new role as princess judging from the official events she has attended since getting back from her honeymoon. The fact that she took seminude pictures and was on a reality TV show a long time ago is an issue mostly in English-speaking countries only (and maybe also in Germany), but not really in Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom