The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Nobility

Any word on godparents yet? I know Expressen said Carl Phillip is likely to be one, but it's not known for sure.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Any word on godparents yet? I know Expressen said Carl Phillip is likely to be one, but it's not known for sure.
The court gave a press release about Leonore's godparents a day before the christening, probably they do the same this time.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Johan T Lindwall writes in Expressen, that according to their sources, SVT will not broadcast the christening on TV.
There has always been a tradition that the royal christenings, weddings and even funerals have been broadcasted on SVT. But now SVT chooses to break that tradition.
What had been a matter of course is now completely out of the question: SVT refuses to do the broadcast of the christening, reportedly told to Expressen. The event will be too costly, and the quota of the royal broadcasts during the year has already been completed, are some of the reasons.
SVT and parts of the staff of the court should have had several discussions recently and the result has thus become that the christening is not to be televised on SVT.
For Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill and the rest of the family this is a big surprise, reportedly told to Expressen. They have previously invited the Swedish people to their ceremonies as baptisms and weddings, but are now rejected by SVT.
TV4 has on several previous occasions been involved in negotiations to get to broadcast the weddings, but the negotiations haven't been successful because the royal family wants the broadcasts without commercial breaks, which is impossible for TV4.
Därför nobbar SVT prins Nicolas dop _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

I was thinking that SVT will not show it when I saw some days ago at SVT TV chart from 11th October that the christening isn't at the program.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Johan T Lindwall writes in Expressen, that according to their sources, SVT will not broadcast the christening on TV.
There has always been a tradition that the royal christenings, weddings and even funerals have been broadcasted on SVT. But now SVT chooses to break that tradition.
What had been a matter of course is now completely out of the question: SVT refuses to do the broadcast of the christening, reportedly told to Expressen. The event will be too costly, and the quota of the royal broadcasts during the year has already been completed, are some of the reasons.
SVT and parts of the staff of the court should have had several discussions recently and the result has thus become that the christening is not to be televised on SVT.
For Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill and the rest of the family this is a big surprise, reportedly told to Expressen. They have previously invited the Swedish people to their ceremonies as baptisms and weddings, but are now rejected by SVT.
TV4 has on several previous occasions been involved in negotiations to get to broadcast the weddings, but the negotiations haven't been successful because the royal family wants the broadcasts without commercial breaks, which is impossible for TV4.
Därför nobbar SVT prins Nicolas dop _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

I was thinking that SVT will not show it when I saw some days ago at SVT TV chart from 11th October that the christening isn't at the program.
What?! This sucks!
Old 09-23-2015, 04:12 AM
Serene Highness

According to friends, the christening of Prince Nicolas will not be broadcasted.
Swedish television broke up with the tradition of broadcasting royal christenings due to the fact that it is considered as a private matter (not of public interest)
There will only be a budget for ceremonies of public interest.
So neither Nicolas'christening, nor the christenings of the future princes to be born will be broadcasted.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:41 AM
Courtier

This doesn't neccesarily mean that it won't be broadcasted at all. TV4 might send it, depending on negotiations. The court prefered SVT because they aren't commercially financed, but when that option isn't available, the court can of course chose to bite the bullet and allow TV4 to send it (including commercial breaks).
Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 AM
Courtier

Hasn't there been rumours that the SRF, besides the commercial breaks, have been upset with TV4 because of how they handled another broadcast a few years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-23-2015, 07:18 AM
Nobility

I was so looking forward to watching this.

i was
Old 09-23-2015, 07:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
According to friends, the christening of Prince Nicolas will not be broadcasted.
Swedish television broke up with the tradition of broadcasting royal christenings due to the fact that it is considered as a private matter (not of public interest)
There will only be a budget for ceremonies of public interest.
So neither Nicolas'christening, nor the christenings of the future princes to be born will be broadcasted.
To me, SVT is saying Nicolas is 7th in line to the throne; therefore his chances of becoming king are slim to none. That's how I take "no public interest". The station has no intention in spending a lot of its money for a child that will never ascend to the Silver Throne. I'm surprised SVT is taking this stance with Victoria & Daniel's 2nd child, for this is a child of a future sovereign; but I presume SVT has to look evenhanded in this decision.

The other broadcast stations in Sweden will probably has the SRF over a barrel in negotiations.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Even though the christening wouldn't be shown on TV, it is quite likely that Expressen and Aftonbladet will have live-TV's from the courtyard of the Drottningholm Palace when the guests are arriving. At least Expressen had a live coverage of the guests arriving at Leonore's christening.

EDIT: From Svensk Damtidning
SVT will monitor the christening but within the frame of the Year of the royal family, says Clara Mannheimer from SVT.
SVT took the decision few weeks ago. The Public Service has received prestigious missions to monitor both weddings and baptisms. But when Nicolas will be baptized in the Drottningholm Palace church on October 11 there will be no live broadcast.
- We look at the big picture and coverage of the royal family is a very important part of our portfolio, but we can not send everything, says Clara Mannheimer.
In 2015, SVT broadcasts Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia's wedding and the cabinet meeting at the Prince Nicolas birth. Additionally the king's Christmas speech is broadcasted and SVT makes extensive coverage throughout the year on "The year with the royal family".
Has SVT grown tired of the royal family?
- Absolutely not! We have a great relationship and dialogue with the court and this is a program that is essential and central in our publication.
According to Clara Mannheimer, SVT has not received any reactions from the royal family.
According to Expressen, TV4 has previously expressed the desire to send royal events but it has fallen to that the royal family did not want to have commercial breaks. And according to Margareta Thorgren the christening will be sent but she will not reveal where.
- We will go out with it later this week, she says.
Prins Nicolas dop – så här blir det i TV _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation
Old 09-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This comes as a surprise, because I always thought, that these royal events attracted a big tv audience. So it seems that Princess Leonor's christening didn't pay off for SVT? Live coverage is expensive, I know that. But they will be there anyway, to film for the Year of the royal family, so all the lightening and technical gadgets will be in place anyways. Surely there will be snippet for the news programs as well.

They say the quota of the royal broadcasts during the year has already been completed. So there should be a budget for next year's christening of CP Victoria's second child. And of course the children of the future Queen will always be more important to the public than Madelein's children.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Courtier

Christening of Prince Nicolas: October 11, 2015

The broadcastings of Royal events usually attracts millions of viewers but as SVT is publicly funded they don't make any money from it. I'm sure it's much cheaper to film and show later in the context of another program than to have a live broadcast.
I'm also absolutely certain that any christening for future children of CP Victoria will be broadcasted live. As mentioned above there is a huge difference in the child of the future queen and someone who stands no chance whatsoever to inherit the throne.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

It bugs me a bit that the christning won't be boradcast! Come on, it did happen on this occasion of Leonore's baptism, so I don't get it... and Nicolas, after all, is not "unimportant" in terms of royaly, as he is the first male grandchild... It looks like an action of controversy against Madeleine and Chris to me...
Old 09-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Serene Highness

For the State only the heir and the heir of the heir are important
So only Victoria and Estelle.
They are of public interest.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The broadcastings of Royal events usually attracts millions of viewers but as SVT is publicly funded they don't make any money from it. I'm sure it's much cheaper to film and show later in the context of another program than to have a live broadcast.
I'm also absolutely certain that any christening for future children of CP Victoria will be broadcasted live. As mentioned above there is a huge difference in the child of the future queen and someone who stands no chance whatsoever to inherit the throne.

The live broadcast of Leonore's christening (on Sunday) had 553 000 viewers, the highlights version was sent in the evening and it had 939 000 viewers.
Tv-toppen_ Miljonpublik för Leonores dop _ SvD

The live broadcast of Estelle's christening (on Tuesday) had 988 000 viewers, the highlights version was sent in the evening and had 1,2 million viewers.
Se höjdpunkterna från Estelles dop _ Nyheter _ Expressen

I remind, Margareta Thorgren to Svensk Damtidning:
And according to Margareta Thorgren the christening will be sent but she will not reveal where.
- We will go out with it later this week, she says.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
It bugs me a bit that the christning won't be boradcast! Come on, it did happen on this occasion of Leonore's baptism, so I don't get it... and Nicolas, after all, is not "unimportant" in terms of royaly, as he is the first male grandchild... It looks like an action of controversy against Madeleine and Chris to me...
As they said. They had already used up their budget for royal events. They don't make money of it so they have to prioritize. They are funded by the public.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Nicolas is currently 6th in line to the throne. When Victoria's second child is born, he will move down to 7th and may move further down to 8th if CP and Sofia have a child of their own. Besides, he doesn't even live in Sweden and it's unclear if he will legally stay in the line of succession six or seven years from now. So, yes, I would say that, constitutionally, he is pretty unimportant to warrant a live broadcast of his christening. The only inconsistency here is that Leonore's christening should not have been broadcast live either.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
As they said. They had already used up their budget for royal events. They don't make money of it so they have to prioritize. They are funded by the public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Nicolas is currently 6th in line to the throne. When Victoria's second child is born, he will move down to 7th and may move further down to 8th if CP and Sofia have a child of their own. Besides, he doesn't even live in Sweden and it's unclear if he will legally stay in the line of succession six or seven years from now. So, yes, I would say that, constitutionally, he is pretty unimportant to warrant a live broadcast of his christening. The only inconsistency here is that Leonore's christening should not have been broadcast live either.

I hope that another tv station will send it live, ot that some videos if the christening are to be found online, someway...

Well, I can at least hope in the live broadcast of the second child of Victoria's baptism...

Agree. As I had already said, Pirncess Leonore's christening was broadcasted, and it is a but unfair that Nicolas won't be having his christening on tv.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Clara Mannheimer from SVT to Expressen:
- We have made an assessment and in this case, we concluded that we would not sent the christening live, but at "The Year with the Royal Family". Watching the royal family is important for us. This year, we sent everything from Prince Carl Philip's wedding, the cabinet meeting for Prince Nicolas, Victoria Day, the King's Christmas speech, National Day celebrations and in the winter the Nobel Prize.
Is it about money?
- Any decision has a dimension of cost in itself. But it wasn't in this case decisive for us. We are pleased and proud of the coverage we have had and will have in the future.
Was it a difficult decision?
- All decisions are difficult. In the best worlds one would have a place for everything. I say no to good programs and suggestions every day. It's hard to say no. It is also difficult to say yes.
Do you understand that there is a disappointment that SVT does not broadcast the royal baptism?
- Yeah of course. There is an enormous interest in the royal family. I understand if people are feeling disappointed. There are many who want to be part of the royal family and follow them.
According to Expressen's information it is instead now TT news agency - which normally takes all still images at royal feasts - which now gets also the rights to film the baptism. They are in negotiation with the court.
The idea is that the baptism should be sent via social media, primarily through the royal family's various portals. Everything should be published later this week.
SVT-chefen om att inte sända prinsdopet_ Förstår om folk är besvikna _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation
Old 09-23-2015, 09:07 PM
Courtier

The Director of the Information and Press Department for the court, Margareta Thorgren says on Aftonbladet that the christening will be broadcast but they will reveal on what channel later this week.

SVT nobbar prinsdopet | Nyheter | Aftonbladet