The Duchess of Cambridge as Royal Patron of East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point, Kataryn, she may be been carefully enunciating and had a measured pace for a reason. Would be nice if someone could confirm the audience members.

Good point, Kataryn, she may be been carefully enunciating and had a measured pace for a reason. Would be nice if someone could confirm the audience members.

Yea, that is a good point. She was shown interacting with children who had a pretty big range of physical ability- If the children were in the audience, it would make sense to go slow, speak clearly, and make sure the speech was easy for them to understand.

She did a good job and I know that was her first official speech, but she needs to work on her public speaking skills.

Same here regarding the pictures at EACH's website.

For those who are criticzing Kate's speech yesterday w/spite, and I don't mean those who noticed things she needs to work on either, here's an idea. How about we gather them all up, plunk em in front of the World's Media and then have them deliver a speech so the Media and perfect strangers w/out a clue than then give those idiots a taste of their own medicine?

Just a thought.

I thought Kate did exceedingly well yesterday considering it was her first speech. She *knew* it would be picked apart to a degree that's just plain stupid by people who have not a clue about Public Speaking and/or don't do it themselves and passed that first test IMO w/flying colours. As far as how slowly she was speaking and those long pauses, not only do we not know if there were hearing impaired children in that audience, but we also don't know if there were adults w/hearing impairments and/or mild mental impairments in the audience either.

As someone w/a disablity, I know first hand that the makeup of the Boards of organizations such as EACH do have "graduates" of the respective organization's programs who decide to give back to something that helped them so much when they were little. I've done it myself w/The Sunshine Foundation, as if it wasn't for them funding a day trip for disabled and terminally ill children from Northern Ontario down to Florida and Disney World for the day back in the late 80's, I'd still be saying I'd love to visit that place someday. So it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if as time goes on, we find out the reason Kate was *so* delibrate was both nerves *and* also being told by EACH there would be those who would not be able to follow what she was saying if she'd performed it at the usual speed Kate speaks at normally.

I think Kate has done incredably well during these last six weeks and has proved what most of us suspected. That she'd be able to handle these first solo duties w/aplomb and also professionally as well. As someone else has said, I can't wait to see just how Kate ends up sparkling once she gets a bit more experience under her. The best is yet to come, but the present was pretty darned great!!

I thought Kate did a decent job with her speech. I think an argument could be made that it sounded overly rehearsed - for example with the pauses - but this isn't an uncommon mistake for beginners to make, and it generally gets better with time. It's worthwhile keeping things in perspective, IMO; I doubt Kate and her team were aiming for a moment of "let them come to Berlin" oratorical brilliance. Her goal was probably to get through it without any major screw ups while sincerely expressing appreciation for the people who invited her. Which she did. Style and polish will come with time!

Tiggersk8, you said it beautifully, as always. Catherine did a fabulous job. She has earned a break, and William's return gives a good excuse for a little hiatus. Of course, I'm looking forward to whatever she does next.

Pausing so that the audience gets one's meaning is one thing. Looking down at one's notes/paper is another. If you're pausing to see whether the audience gets the meaning, you look out at the audience to determine same, not down at your paper. Let's not mistake her looking down for connecting with the audience! If one want to make sure the audience is comprehending, one looks at the audience, not at one's paper - and any experienced speaker knows it's way more important (always) to look at the audience, not the paper.

I am not trying to criticize her - she did *very* well for a beginner, and we can expect her to be an outstanding and memorable public speaker in future.

But, if she's speaking to audiences where some people have trouble understanding, she would do well not to look down (it's distracting) and instead, trust herself and look out at the audience. For such a short speech, she should get used to going without notes altogether. And I'm sure she will!

She did a good job and I know that was her first official speech, but she needs to work on her public speaking skills.

Diana started out much the same way. After work with coaches Diana became an excellent speaker. Kate will only improve with time.

I believe someone posted something similar earlier...I don't think her speech was meant to be the highlight of this visit. I was downright gloomy until I began to read some the criticisms of the duchess' speech. Oh, I'm not finding humor in what is actually written in posts. What I find hilarious is individuals will use a less than 4 min speech as a cloak for their disgust for the duchess. Oh, pray continue! Even more hilarious is that I suspect the participants at the event, the children and their families, could give a deuce about the duchess' presentation...I doubt the children were made uncomfortable by her pauses. I don't think not looking at them for less than 4 min while speaking ruined their day. But if it tickles your fancy to hark on about how someone talks for less than 5 min please continue, I could use a picker upper anytime.

A professional public speaking coach was on Sky News just after Kate finished her speech at EACH. She said that the pauses and looking down at her notes were most likely a trick that Kate had been taught to make sure that she kept a slow, steady pace. She said the biggest problem for nervous speakers, new to making big public speeches, is that they rush through it, going much too fast. She seemed to feel that Kate had been coached to ensure that she didn't do that, and the looking down was the means of ensuring that was the case.

When all is said and done, the main thing is that Kate did get up there and did present a speech that the audience seemed to have liked. The first time making a speech you know that will be broadcasted far and wide had to have her stomach full of angry birds (butterflies would be much more gentle). She took the time to prepare and practice the speech and like all her previous engagements, she threw herself wholeheartedly into the event.

Can you imagine though if there was such a huge audience such as Kate faced worldwide (international TV coverage and internet) how much courage it would have taken George VI to deliver his first speech? I think the public at the time knew and understood Bertie's speech impediment and it in no way detracted from his speeches.

Yes, she really needs to do that because all these looooooong pauses to look at the text nearly killed me - I was struggling not to fall asleep! :sleeping: :lol: And she was so nervous, I wonder why... I mean, she's been a princess for a year now, how much more time is she going to need in order to get used to her new role?

I'm not sure if you're saying what I think you are, seeing as understanding the UK education system is not always the easiest thing to do. But Catherine received a 2:1 MA (Scotland) in History of Art at St Andrews and William received a 2:1 in Geography, the highest a British Royal has ever achieved. The pair would have both completely a dissertation in their third year on their chosen subject, it would have been around 10-20,000 words long.

Do not misunderstand me. Believe me I am working for the university with a high academic and I have university degree. I know how higher education means to earn. I did not mean William is not smart. I knew they both have high grade in university. My point is Kate is not afraid to do research, to write and take challenge, which is when she submitted her theses she was brave enough to open and accept critique.

I believe someone posted something similar earlier...I don't think her speech was meant to be the highlight of this visit. I was downright gloomy until I began to read some the criticisms of the duchess' speech. Oh, I'm not finding humor in what is actually written in posts. What I find hilarious is individuals will use a less than 4 min speech as a cloak for their disgust for the duchess. Oh, pray continue! Even more hilarious is that I suspect the participants at the event, the children and their families, could give a deuce about the duchess' presentation...I doubt the children were made uncomfortable by her pauses. I don't think not looking at them for less than 4 min while speaking ruined their day. But if it tickles your fancy to hark on about how someone talks for less than 5 min please continue, I could use a picker upper anytime.

I'm in complete agreement. If one only looked at the faces of the children when she painted and played music with them, one would have seen that they cared about the fact that a 'princess' came to play with them and give them some love. That was the whole point of the visit anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that happens, I better stock up on tissues.....;) :D:cool:
Used quite a few with just Kate.... if William comes too.... oh my....;)

I can see the photos so they must have fixed the problem.
Same here! Love the one of Kate sitting next to the little one in the wheelchair....:wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost nite
Would you kindly post the EACH bracelet link?
Thanks in advance

NoorMeansLight said:
Yes, she really needs to do that because all these looooooong pauses to look at the text nearly killed me - I was struggling not to fall asleep! :sleeping: :lol: And she was so nervous, I wonder why... I mean, she's been a princess for a year now, how much more time is she going to need in order to get used to her new role?

That's what I'm saying. Everyone says she'll get better in time and I'm sure she will, but she has enough resources at her disposal to sharpen her skills now. Her speech was quite awkward. I almost couldn't watch it.

Diana's first speech, although it was not perfect, there was still a warmth present. Kate's speech was cold and lacking that special something that connects one to their audience. She has to learn how to connect with her audience. Sometimes all you need is a simple joke to lighten the mood. When you have that connection the words will flow. It's been a year now. It's time she puts her "big girl panties on " and get going!

CrownPrincess5 said:
That's what I'm saying. Everyone says she'll get better in time and I'm sure she will, but she has enough resources at her disposal to sharpen her skills now. Her speech was quite awkward. I almost couldn't watch it.

Diana's first speech, although it was not perfect, there was still a warmth present. Kate's speech was cold and lacking that special something that connects one to their audience. She has to learn how to connect with her audience. Sometimes all you need is a simple joke to lighten the mood. When you have that connection the words will flow. It's been a year now. It's time she puts her "big girl panties on " and get going!

I disagree that her speech was cold. She smiled, and she and everyone giggled when she mentioned William. There were nerves, to be sure, but IMO that shouldn't be mistaken for being cold. She may have all these resources at her disposal, but IMO the only way to really sharpen your skills and learn to connect with the audience is to actually go out in public and speak - which she has just begun doing. We know she connects with people, she'll be able to do it speaking from a microphone soon enough!

Yes. I went to the site and it does not say anything about it being sold out. Maybe they have not updated the site yet.

Can't believe people actually thought that speech was good. There really isn't anything difficult with remembering the lines and then reading them outloud without sounding like a complete fool. She sounds like she didn't even bother, which she probably did. It's a shame, really. And those pauses? Is her team for real?! Talk about insulting your audience, because I would be.

I just want to say thank you for all of you who have brought the EACH bracelet, it really does mean a awful lot to us here in Ipswich and the rest of East Anglia. They really do some fantastic work at this hospice. My younger brother lost a friend of his a few years back and he received absolutely fantastic care by EACH in the last few weeks of his life.

It just shows what having a royal patron can do for a small charity like the one we have here.

Hopefully the Duchess will return sometime in the near future and I will be able to get the day off work to go and see her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom