The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

They wouldn't know.
She isn't a spencer and she shouldn't wear the tiara.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
They wouldn't know.
She isn't a spencer and she shouldn't wear the tiara.
The Spencer tiara and the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara are totally different tiaras. The Lover's Knot was given to Diana by the Queen and is currently being held at BP.

I do think this is all supposition or perhaps journalists trying to make a buck but the thought did occur to me that should William the title of Duke of Cambridge for his wedding day, the Cambridge tiara would be a perfect compliment.

Another afterthought... this tiara was made for Queen Mary back in 1913 and has been in the Windsor family for years before given to Diana. This tiara would have a history on both sides of William's family so maybe it IS the perfect choice?

Old 11-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Nobility

Osipi has a point but I would rather see the bride with a tiara that has not been seen for a long time, just to know for sure it still exists.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Serene Highness

I would rather see her wearing a different tiara, she has to endure enough comparison to Diana already...
Old 11-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Rundell is a beautiful and "material" tiara, though I query whether it too big for somebody like Kate to wear at her wedding.
How tall is it, does anyone know? She also has lovely long hair and can arrange an elegant up-do to anchor whatever tiara.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Commoner

That's great, if it is true. I have always thought that the Cambridge Tiara is perfect for a wedding tiara, with heart shapes in it.
I do agree with several other people about the Portland Sapphire Tiara that is up for sale. It is just perfect. It is mostly diamonds and pearls, with just a few sapphires in it. It looks like it was made to go with Kate's engagement ring. and I like how it almost a diadem and not just a tiara It looks fairly light, so maybe it would not give the wearer a headache.
I think the Middletons should buy it for Kate. They are not having to pay for the wedding, probably just the dress. Think about how Kate would feel wearing it. The sense of confidence it would give her, knowing that it came from her family, that she does not have to rely on the Windsors for all her finery. She would put it on with pride every time she took it out of it's case.
But I think the Queen should still give her another tiara, one with the royal past. No one has mentioned the Queen's sapphire tiara, that she had made in 1963 to go with the Sapphire necklace and earrings that her father George VI gave her for her wedding in 1947. She doesn't wear those all too often anymore. Give those to Kate and she would have a full Sapphire Parure.
Then I think Charles should give his new daughter-in-law a brand new tiara from Cartier's, so that she has something fresh and modern, and you know how Charles likes to spend money and you know Cartier will give him something very stylish, maybe not like the Queens attempts at designing new tiaras.
Then she would have three tiaras to start with. One from her family, one from Granny, and one from Papa-in-law. Hell, maybe the Saudi's will give a couple as well.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Aristocracy

when she was 21, Princess Anne was photographed in a series of photos taken in front of a painting, almost like she was part of the painting, in a white dress and with a very pretty tiara, similar to Fergie's. That would look lovely on Kate. Anne has never worn it again.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
I would rather see her wearing a different tiara, she has to endure enough comparison to Diana already...
I agree. I think Diana's tiara should be left alone for awhile.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
when she was 21, Princess Anne was photographed in a series of photos taken in front of a painting, almost like she was part of the painting, in a white dress and with a very pretty tiara, similar to Fergie's. That would look lovely on Kate. Anne has never worn it again.
I have heard speculations that the mystery tiara from this portrait was supplied by the photographer just for the portrait. Otherwise it I can't imagine why Princess Anne would never have worn it again.
It was a very beautiful piece and would look stunning on Kate. But I would like to see her with a tiara with a longer royal history.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Commoner

Maybe I'm crazy but I have this feeling that Catherine won't wear a tiara (I admit I will be disappointed). I think she willl have some stunning antique diamond pins in her hair with a gorgeous antique veil. Maybe not what we expect from the BRF but what better way to be modern yet elegant.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContessaII View Post
Maybe I'm crazy but I have this feeling that Catherine won't wear a tiara (I admit I will be disappointed). I think she willl have some stunning antique diamond pins in her hair with a gorgeous antique veil. Maybe not what we expect from the BRF but what better way to be modern yet elegant.
While I love antique lace veils and would love to see one on Catherine, the Windsors don't seem to have any heirloom lace veils. No British royal has worn one recently, not since the late Queen Mum?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royski1 View Post
...the Portland Sapphire Tiara that is up for sale...I think the Middletons should buy it for Kate.
I would love for what you said to happen to Kate particularly about her family buying her the tiara... so let's all cross our fingers. I cannot wait to see what jewels the Saudi's will give her. I remember the sapphires they gave to Diana. They were stunning. I'm sure they've started shopping around for jewels for the future Queen Catherine. And it will be stunning.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I was just walking through Burlington Arcade in London yesterday and saw there were a number of necklaces available that could be put on a frame to create a lovely tiara not dissimilar in style to what Princess Mary of Denmark has. Perhaps Kate's parents could get her something like that as a wedding present, instead of paying thousands for a dress that will never get used again. This would allow her to have a "Middleton" tiara, in addition to any royal tiaras she may receive.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
While I love antique lace veils and would love to see one on Catherine, the Windsors don't seem to have any heirloom lace veils. No British royal has worn one recently, not since the late Queen Mum?
Princess Alexandra's veil was of antique lace that had been given to her by Lady Patricia Ramsey (formerly Princess Patricia of Connaught). The design was of acorns & oak leaves.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
I would love for what you said to happen to Kate particularly about her family buying her the tiara... so let's all cross our fingers. I cannot wait to see what jewels the Saudi's will give her. I remember the sapphires they gave to Diana. They were stunning. I'm sure they've started shopping around for jewels for the future Queen Catherine. And it will be stunning.
Although the various UAE and Saudi royals are always very generous with giving jewels to other royal people, I do feel that the design of most jewels they give are too flashy, and looks mediocre to downright ugly (Letizia's necklace for example).
Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Although the various UAE and Saudi royals are always very generous with giving jewels to other royal people, I do feel that the design of most jewels they give are too flashy, and looks mediocre to downright ugly (Letizia's necklace for example).
Or the rubys Camilla got. It's onyl strange that for example the belgians seems to have got no Jewellry. I think Philippe and Mathilde have made a few Visits there.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Maybe they have a stricter policy in accepting gifts in general and gifts from undemocratic potentates in specific? Queen Paola did receive a demi parure from Kabila when she and her husband visited the Congo this summer, but she won't wear them.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Maybe they have a stricter policy in accepting gifts in general and gifts from undemocratic potentates in specific? Queen Paola did receive a demi parure from Kabila when she and her husband visited the Congo this summer, but she won't wear them.
Lets be clear, the Belgian royal family just does not have the clout
or presence on the world stage the way some of the other royals have. The M-E rulers are no fools, and will only give where they think they can get somnething back in return. I just don't believe it has anuthing to do about policies of accepting gifts, whether it is from democratic or undemocratic states.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Administrator

True, the British get the most impressive things, and after that the Spaniards and then come the lesser Gods . And indeed, they don't give them for nothing & expect something in return, which is exactly why gifts like these should not be accepted in this day and age.

There are rumours that Máxima's chandeleer earrings were a gift from the UAE, as were her emerald earrings. The Danish queen has a necklace that was a gift from a ME ruler and Queen SIlvia has some sets of modern jewelry that are said to be a gift from the sultan of Brunei (note that most of the above was never confirmed by the various courts).

I am not sure if accepting these gifts is very wise anno 2010. In my own country public servants can not accept gifts above 50 euros and there is always a lot of criticism whenever it does happen. Added to that, to accept things from undemocratic rulers will reflect badly on the image of the RF, as was the case with Kabila's blood diamonds for Queen Paola.

---

Stefan, I agree with you, the design of Camilla's ruby necklace is hoirrible. One can only hope that in due time she will have the necklace broken up. Since it contains so many nice rubies they could easily create a new ruby parure with it.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Lady Nicholas Windsor wore a lace veil, no tiara.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding