The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Gentry

I'm wondering if she might do a variation of what Sarah did but instead of flowers, simply wear her veil for the ceremony, perhaps with a small headpiece and then put the tiara on while they sign the register?

That would require "tiara security" in the chapel where they will sign the register though.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Courtier

The Middletons still have time to buy this for Catherine...

Bentley & Skinner

I think it would look just superb on her. Well, I'm just hoping she'll wear a tiara, any tiara for that matter.

I voted for 'something from the vaults' but I would also love to see the Strathmore Rose Tiara on her. Too bad there aren't pictures next to all the options, it would be easier to compare.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post

Bentley & Skinner

I think it would look just superb on her. Well, I'm just hoping she'll wear a tiara, any tiara for that matter.
I'm with you--I've been looking at that specific tiara for weeks. I would be lovely!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Aristocracy

I have just returned to the forums after along absence, so if this has already been discussed then please forgive me.

It could be that Catherine will be mindful of the etiquette surrounding the wearing of tiaras, that is they are generally only worn by married women, or by Princesses of the blood.
This was the reason why ,20 years ago my Grandmother did not loan me our family tiara for my wedding. I did ,however wear two of the detachable stars as hair orniments, as it happened this was a much more satisfactory arrangement, as the whole thing is rather heavy. Also finding a hairdresser to do your hair in a suitable style can be difficult in a day and age when tiaras are no longer generally worn.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
I have just returned to the forums after along absence, so if this has already been discussed then please forgive me.

It could be that Catherine will be mindful of the etiquette surrounding the wearing of tiaras, that is they are generally only worn by married women, or by Princesses of the blood.
This was the reason why ,20 years ago my Grandmother did not loan me our family tiara for my wedding. I did ,however wear two of the detachable stars as hair orniments, as it happened this was a much more satisfactory arrangement, as the whole thing is rather heavy. Also finding a hairdresser to do your hair in a suitable style can be difficult in a day and age when tiaras are no longer generally worn.
Many brides in aristocratic families wear their family tiaras for their weddings. Diana wore her family tiara for her wedding, and Sophie wore the tiara that the Queen gifted her for hers.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post

Then why did Diana wear one to her wedding, Sarah wear one for her wedding, Sophie wear one for her wedding, Autumn Kelly wear one for her wedding.......that doesn't make any sense. Tiaras can be worn by any woman who has the financial means to acquire one, or if her family has one that can be worn.

Catherine will wear a tiara just like every other bride in the BRF has. Zara Philips is going to wear one no doubt, and she's not a princess.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
There's been mention of the Portland sapphire tiara, recently sold at auction for over one million dollars.
There's no saying who purchased it, but the buyer could possibly be Charles or the Middletons. That would be perfect for Kate, imo- not too overwhelming, not too insignificant.
I looked up this tiara and It's gorgeous. It would be a lovely choice, if it were bought for her.

And as someone that is quite new to all of this, this thread has been a great education on the various tiaras, some i didn't even know existed. I've also loved the history behind them!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Catherine will wear either a new one purchased as a wedding gift or one from the vaults that hasn't been worn in a long time.

The other possibility is the Lover's Knot Tiara, perhaps for her wedding day only, and then another received as a gift that we'll see later.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
I'm with you--I've been looking at that specific tiara for weeks. I would be lovely!
Great find! This tiara is wonderful and would look great on Catherine.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Courtier

Wouldn't it be amazing if that was the one?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post

Bentley & Skinner

I voted for 'something from the vaults' but I would also love to see the Strathmore Rose Tiara on her. Too bad there aren't pictures next to all the options, it would be easier to compare.
Catharina that is lovely and it would be fun if that turned out to be the one. But like you I'm guessing it will be one from vaults "on loan".
Guessing it won't be Cambridge as it's so closely associated with Diana that I think Kate won't go that route for her wedding. But later it will appear for her.

Also wondering like KristineML if she might go the Sarah route and go in as a commoner (flowers) and out like a royal (tiara)?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Royal Highness

After wishing for the Strathmore Rose tiara or a tiara bought by Catherine's parents.I have gotten this intuition that Catherine is going to wear flowers that symbolize in her long hair for the wedding ceremony. I don't know if she will leave Westminster Abby with a tiara on. If she does have flowers though out it will be a statement about a modern monarchy when the reign.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
After wishing for the Strathmore Rose tiara or a tiara bought by Catherine's parents.I have gotten this intuition that Catherine is going to wear flowers that symbolize in her long hair for the wedding ceremony. I don't know if she will leave Westminster Abby with a tiara on. If she does have flowers though out it will be a statement about a modern monarchy when the reign.
The more I think of it, the more I'm inclined to agree with you here. All though this is a very high profiled wedding, I think both William and Kate are hoping to remain somewhat low profile and "down to earth". In that respect, I can see Kate not wanting to wear any kind of a tiara until she and Wills actually start life as full time royals.

I did however, vote for the Cambridge Lover's Knot. I think if this tiara does make an appearance at the wedding, it will be something that is done expressly for the reason that William and Kate do want the association with his mum made. Actions speak louder than words and that one tiara will be a poignant gesture that I think will be very well received by all.

We'll see....
Old 04-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Gentry

I am so torn between choices! One side wants the Russel, One side wants a new one and one side wants the Sarah flowers in tiara out!Get here Friday!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Oona View Post
I am so torn between choices! One side wants the Russel, One side wants a new one and one side wants the Sarah flowers in tiara out!Get here Friday!!!
Well.. she could always opt out for one of our own TRFs expert advisors and wear a bucket of chicken!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

I don't get the down to earth of she doesn't wear a tiara People who aren't royals, some do wear tiaras (fake or real) on their wedding days, its normal but a personal choice. It would IMO be very disappointing if she did actually leave the church without one, after all she hast o accept her new role & tiaras are part of it. She gets married once in such a lavish wedding, in a historic church watched by many around the world, I hope she does wear one as she is part of the royal family.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:25 AM
Courtier

I agree with you, and I do NOT want to see the exchange of flowers for tiara as it harks back too much to Sarah Ferguson for my taste. That may have been rather "original" at the time but it no longer is.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
I don't get the down to earth of she doesn't wear a tiara People who aren't royals, some do wear tiaras (fake or real) on their wedding days, its normal but a personal choice. It would IMO be very disappointing if she did actually leave the church without one, after all she hast o accept her new role & tiaras are part of it. She gets married once in such a lavish wedding, in a historic church watched by many around the world, I hope she does wear one as she is part of the royal family.
Your opinion is exactly why I voted for the Cambridge Lover's Knot. Its been reported from all sources how much Kate and William are involved with every aspect of this wedding that it can't be a haphazard choice for a tiara. Any one she wears will have meaning to both her and William or no tiara at all. Yes, the Lover's Knot is mostly identified with the late Diana, but it also has a long history behind it too. IF she does wear this tiara, what better time to incorporate both the memory of Diana and the history behind that tiara than her wedding?

I can also see her not wearing a tiara at all.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Personally, I think the poll should reflect what the realistic possibilities are. The following should not be included in the list of possibilities for the following reasons:

Girls of Britain and Ireland tiara: There absolutely no way that Kate will be loaned the Queens favorite tiara. She barely knows Kate.

Fringe Tiara: Again, not going to happen. This is the second most worn tiara of the Queen.

Spencer Tiara: This tiara does not belong to the Royal Family. It belongs to the Spencer family, and is reserved for Spencer brides and daughters of the current Earl.

One thing to also consider is that Diana had a fabulous jewel collection which William inherited, and many of the necklaces could be modified into a tiara.

Jewellery of Today's British Royalty - The Tudors Wiki
The fringe tiara was worn by HM in Trinidad & Tobago in 2009 after a good few decades, so it really is not the second most worn tiara at all. If I am not mistaken, prior to its 2009 outing, it was last used by Anne when she married MArk in 1973
Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

So can she choose or have a choice in the tiara or will the Queen lend her one without negotiating with her what she would like? Im no sure how it works.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding