Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You may be right about the Lotus flower tiara. If thats then case, then I think that might be a good choice for Kate on her wedding day.

Viscount Linley made her that beechwood tiara which is quite charming, but if I were Serena, I would have wanted the Poltimore. The Beechwood is a poor substitute for the Queen of tiaras.... the Poltimore. Trageddy that it was sold........:bang:

I was captivated by the Poltimore when I viewed it at the Christie's pre-sale exhibition. Agreed, it was sad to see it go. I had no idea about the beechwood tiara, clever, but no substitute.

index.php

AR

Last edited by a moderator:
A WOODEN tiara? That is just hideous.

The Delhi Durbar diadem was definitely modified to be worn as a tiara for Camilla. There was a photo posted somewhere of her turning her head slightly in the car while wearing it showing it was no longer enclosed.

The royal collection of jewels sitting in the vault unused is said to be enormous, so I'm sure any number of pieces could be modified to practical use as a tiara for Catherine, assuming the cost of Garrard's doing the work is worth it versus just buying her a newly-designed one.

Strange! I have a photo of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess in their car and there the Delhi Durbar looks very much still enclosed.
Here's the photo - Link

Bobby

The beechwood tiara was specially designed for the tiara exhibition which Geoffrey Munn organized in 2002. Viscount Linley runs a furniture company and primarily works with wood. Therefore it made perfectly sense for him to craft a wooden tiara for this exhibition, imo. I think that this tiara should be rather seen as a piece of contemporary art and not as a piece of jewellery for worn a glittering white tie events.
Actually it is not publicly known who owns the papyrus tiara now. Personally I believe that the Linley's did not auction off all of Princess Margaret's heirlooms and that they kept this tiara. Therefore I'd be extremely surprised if Kate will receive the papyrus tiara.

Strange! I have a photo of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess in their car and there the Delhi Durbar looks very much still enclosed.
Here's the photo - Link
Bobby
Quite. There is no evidence whatsoever to show that the Delhi Durbar tiara has been sliced open at the back.
In fact, the evidence (eg the picture above and video of the DOC at a Buckingham Palace banquet) indicates that it remains as it ever was, a circlet or diadem.

Scroll or Teck Diamond tiara why not.
Maybe some diamond fringe tiara is free? Or how about convertible necklace/tiara? Catherine should recive diamond or colour stones tiara?
About old tiara from royal jewelry box they can reinstall it or give to the Garrard's do it.
Btw Bentley&Skinner has few not expencive and heavy.

The bentley and skinner flower tiara would be a great choice IMO, as would the Teck circle necklace tiara.

yes. but it isn't anything like Sarah's garrard tiara.

:previous:

The B&S flower tiara would be lovely for Catherine to wear at her wedding. Its also at a price level that her parents could probably afford to spend on her.

That said, if this was one her parents were buying for her, I would not expect to see it being available on the website.

The B&S tiara has been for sale for several months. I actually thought about buying it myself. I would love for Kate to have it .... it is lovely.

Jewellery who does it belong to

I wonder which of Diana's jewels we'll start seeing in the near future!

Its Charlie's jewellery and will stay in his family as Kate is not royalty and has no claim over it. It will stay in the Windsors family.

Strange indeed. The car photo is what made me believe that the tiara was still kept enclosed, especially since any major alteration to the DD happened before Cam's entered the picture.

I like the pearl and diamond tiara on B&S. It looks lovely as a tiara and necklace!

Its Charlie's jewellery and will stay in his family as Kate is not royalty and has no claim over it. It will stay in the Windsors family.

It's not Charles' jewellery, it belongs to his family and Diana wore it when she was alive. If Charles bought her jewellery, then it belongs to Diana. If Kate is "given" some of Diana's jewellery to keep, should she ever divorce William, then it's hers to keep.
Kate being royalty has nothing to do with jewellery.

Quite. There is no evidence whatsoever to show that the Delhi Durbar tiara has been sliced open at the back.
In fact, the evidence (eg the picture above and video of the DOC at a Buckingham Palace banquet) indicates that it remains as it ever was, a circlet or diadem.

It may still be enclosed, but if you look at the period images it now seems to pitch at an outward angle toward the top. In Mary's reign it was straight as a gate circling her wiglet.

AR

But that is because of the alteration that happened before the Duchess wore it. They removed the very top layer of the tiara and that makes it seem much more open. Plus QMary and QMum wore it straight on top of their heads where as Camilla wore it angled back giving a wider impression.

I thought so...The Durbar had such straight sides in Mary's time and it is definitely angled now.

post-2-1130514710.jpg

This is a fantastic photograph of three generations (out of four) wearing the same tiara. Indeed, continuity is one of the very few advantages in having a monarchy and this photograph is an example of the obvious continuity of a reigning house. Also, I think Camilla looks the best of the three ladies in this diadem.

The scroll tiara would be lovely whether she wears her hair up or down. I noticed in recent posts references to the recent auction of the Portland Collection. The diamond, pearl and sapphire tiara are gorgeous and would complement Catherine's ring and beautiful eyes. Would there ever be a chance that Prince Charles would buy a piece of jewellery from auction for Kate or is it more likely that she would receive something from the Queen's collection?

THE PORTLAND ANTIQUE SAPPHIRE, DIAMOND AND NATURAL PEARL TIARA | Jewelry Auction</li> | Jewelry, tiara | Christie's

I hope that Prince Charles does not buy antique jewellery for Catherine (as he did for Lady Di) because I think that the Windsors need modern jewellery in the collection and not more old stuff. Also, I feel that Catherine Middleton would suit the Strathmore Rose tiara, the scroll tiara or the fringe tiara that the Queen wears and which does not convert into a necklace like the fragile Georgian one that the Queen and Princess Anne wore at their Abbey weddings.

i think the dehli durbar looks diffrent without the diamond and boy if was put back on it would more fantastic and that would be a a amazing sight the deli as it was a stunning tiara /diadem :)

Here's the photo - Link

Bobby

You can clearly see in that photo that it's is opened up as it's sitting low on her head and the sides wrap around towards the back. Opened up it's quite an enormous tiara.

If it was still a diadem, it would sitting on the crown of her head as it's circumference could not possibly accomodate being so low with all that hair!

Diana's royal pieces (the Lover's Knot Tiara, the Cambridge Emerald Choker, a few pairs of earrings and a pearl & diamond choker) were all returned to The Queen after her death. All of her remaining jewels, including those purchased for her by Charles or received as wedding gifts, now belong to William and Harry.

The royal pieces were gifts from The Queen and may or may not reappear on Catherine as they belong to the royal collection. The original intent was Diana would, of course, outlive HM and her divorce agreement stated that any royal jewels were to pass to Prince William after her death. Since she died tragically a year later and The Queen was still living, they were returned since William was still young and unmarried.

I do believe the tiara will be offered to Catherine as HM is not likely to wear it again (assuming, of course, it looks OK on her head). Otherwise, something else will appear from the royal collection or a new piece.

Last edited:
After her death or divorce? Was keeping it for the duration of her life part of her divorce agreement? Did she wear tiaras after her divorce?

This is a fantastic photograph of three generations (out of four) wearing the same tiara. Indeed, continuity is one of the very few advantages in having a monarchy and this photograph is an example of the obvious continuity of a reigning house. Also, I think Camilla looks the best of the three ladies in this diadem.

It looked best on Mary, who looked regal. The other two look frumpy. Mary knew how to wear jewelry and carry off the largest of piecest.

That's pretty nice.

Personally I would like to see something with a bit of history. But nothing too associated with Diana, so that definitely takes out the Cambridge.

I do like the Sroll and the Great Britian (although I know they might not be ready). I am sure there are tons of more tiaras that belonged to the Hanovers and Victoria's children that either went to the other royal families (i.e. the Connaught tiara) or just disappeared.

After her death or divorce? Was keeping it for the duration of her life part of her divorce agreement? Did she wear tiaras after her divorce?

Diana was permitted to retain her royal jewels as part of her divorce agreement for her lifetime, on condition they could never be lent or sold.

She did not wear the Lover's Knot Tiara after the divorce as there was no occasion for her to do so. She did wear the Cambridge Emerald Choker for her last public appearance in Britain before she died.

You can clearly see in that photo that it's is opened up as it's sitting low on her head and the sides wrap around towards the back. Opened up it's quite an enormous tiara.

If it was still a diadem, it would sitting on the crown of her head as it's circumference could not possibly accomodate being so low with all that hair!

Thank you, that was what I was getting at in my previous posts. Even if, for some reason, it is still closed it has been canted outward as it flares much more than it did in Mary's reign. I have worked with objects for decades and it is clear that it used to be more vertically oriented and is now bowed and canted.

Camilla%2526Mary_DurbarTiara.bmp

AR

Bentley & Skinner

Wonder if the Middletons have this one "On Approval" as it has been Temporarily Withdrawn?????

No, that piece has been on "temporary withdrawal" since before Crown Princess Victoria's wedding, I remember seeing it when someone posted a link for another tiara. It would be nice though! :)

No, that piece has been on "temporary withdrawal" since before Crown Princess Victoria's wedding, I remember seeing it when someone posted a link for another tiara. It would be nice though! :)

But the Middleton's could have been forward planning even then......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom