The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 AM
Commoner

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone fumbling over a few words in an 8 minutes speech! Everyone does, including politicians.

The Queen must now be slower and stooped physically, but she doesn't seem to wind down mentally at all. She still has a very commanding voice when reading speeches.

It was the first time I followed the State Opening live on the BBC and I really liked the commentary : it was entertaining, informative and respectful, but with a little bit of mischief and distance too. Just great !

Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I don't know if that's true or not. They downplayed the illnesses of Princess Margaret and of King George VI quite a bit.
The most hilarious downplaying of those times was calling Queen Mary's lung cancer "some gastric problems"..

Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Majesty

The State Opening of Parliament 2013:

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Courtier

Queen's new lady-in-waiting took part in ceremony. Who is she?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soop.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	288988  
Old 05-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Courtier

Whoever the lady is, its a pity she wore off-white instead of the white dress of all the other women in he royal party !
Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Courtier

Trivial, i know, but there is intended to be a visual unity on display...
Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Nobility

Oman- Thank you for posting the You Tube videos. So much history!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:15 AM
Majesty

Queen's speech could be delayed because coalition has nothing 'sexy' to tell us, claims Tory minister-
Queen's speech could be delayed because coalition has nothing 'sexy' to tell us, claims Tory minister | Mail Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Majesty

Courtiers' concerns that Queen's crown is too heavy:
EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE: Courtiers' concerns that Queen's crown is too heavy | Mail Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Majesty

The #StateOpening of Parliament for the 2014-15 session is set for Tues 3 June. Find out more about the ceremony http://goo.gl/dKov18

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The Queen set to attend State Opening of Parliament
The Queen set to attend State Opening of Parliament | Royal Central
Old 03-30-2014, 12:43 AM
Majesty

David Cameron clashes with Buckingham Palace after attempt to delay the Queen's Speech for the second time-
David Cameron clashes with Buckingham Palace after attempt to delay the Queen's Speech for the second time - Mirror Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

What has happened in the past when the Monarch has not been available on the day of the opening? Not that I am saying that applies here - I am just wondering in general what has happened in the past? Have there been times when the Opening was delayed?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Majesty

The only times that The Queen was unable to Open Parliament in person was when she was pregnant with Andrew and Edward and then the Lord Commissioners performed the opening with the Lord Chancellor reading the speech.

The date is in HM's diary years in advance as it is fairly fixed but this year the government hasn't anything much to say so has delayed it causing this bottleneck of events for HM.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
David Cameron clashes with Buckingham Palace after attempt to delay the Queen's Speech for the second time-
David Cameron clashes with Buckingham Palace after attempt to delay the Queen's Speech for the second time - Mirror Online
It should be noted that the Mirror is a left-wing newspaper and traditionally supports the Labour party. I think that may set the tone of the piece.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh, I am sure you are correct about party politics however, that does not alter the fact that in such an important year they have delayed the Queens Speech by over a month.

Whatever else they do, they need to ensure they do not set up unrealistic deadlines for HM when her entire schedule is set so far ahead and they have a bad case of procrastination.

But really, what were they thinking? Are any of the MP's or Public Servants aware of the significance of this year? Do they even know their own history or is it considered irrelevant or beneath them?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Royal Highness

Marg, our MPs and Public Servants hardly know their own names dear, let alone anything else!
The State Opening of Parliament should never have moved from November in the first place, let alone having it treated as casual occasion to be moved about, post-poned, cancelled or otherwise!
Quite frankly, if I was the Head of State and got a call asking to change the date, I would tell the Government where to go in the traditional two-word manner. I would then turn up at the Palace of Westminster on the original date, in full ermine robes, crown and all! I would then march straight up to the House of Commons and drag the prime-minister (and the leader of the opposition so as to remain impartial) by the scruff and take him to the House of Lords. I would then read out my own speech giving a run down of how in 60 years of reigning, I have never in all that time had a phone call from any government minister or civil servant asking to change the date!
Old 03-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The date is in HM's diary years in advance as it is fairly fixed but this year the government hasn't anything much to say so has delayed it causing this bottleneck of events for HM.
But what happens, like this year, when it is delayed, if it conflicts with another engagement? I wonder if, in their private meetings, the Queen tells the PM, in appropriate language to "s**t or get off the pot".
Old 03-31-2014, 10:44 AM
Aristocracy

I think it is sorted out for the 3rd June (same day as garden party). Tricky for the Palace because she is the Head of State and although allowances can be made for her age and government should be better organised, she has to do it. If they emphasis the problems because of her age, then people will start the rumour mill of not being able to do the job.

Its a fine line.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe View Post
But what happens, like this year, when it is delayed, if it conflicts with another engagement? I wonder if, in their private meetings, the Queen tells the PM, in appropriate language to "s**t or get off the pot".
HM is a constitutional monarch and thus has no say in these things but has to simply turn up when told to do so by her government.

Negotiations are possible between her office and the government but in the end she is a servant of the government and has no option but to turn up.

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii