The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Majesty

Queen's speech to contain legislation on pensions, social care and benefits:
Coalition government's agenda will be mix of structural reforms to boost economy and more populist measures-
Queen's speech to contain legislation on pensions, social care and benefits | Politics | The Guardian

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Majesty

State Opening of Parliament: 1981-
Attended by The Prince & Princess of Wales, HRH Princess Anne, TRH Duchesses of Kent & Gloucester.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Courtier

Nice video, Nice ceremony.
But one thing I am very upset with is the way they treated Mark Phillips.
Couldnt they give him a chair?
It is so awkward for him to stand with the Ladies-in-Waiting when in his wife and all in-laws were seated royally.
If you say he is non-royal and not a peer, then he shouldnt be invited to the ceremony in the first place.
Once he accompanies his wife, he should be given the same status, albeit one step behind..
No self-respecting man can tolerate this kind of shabby treatment for long.
No wonder he left her for other woma(e)n..
Old 05-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Nobility

This year will be fascinating and watched closely, if not for the speech {which is expected to be particularly 'thin'} but because of the presence of the Prince of Wales {after a number of years absence}, and the Duchess of Cornwall.

Perhaps this is a sign of things to come, with the presence of the heirs a regular, even annual event.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
State Opening of Parliament: 1981-
Attended by The Prince & Princess of Wales, HRH Princess Anne, TRH Duchesses of Kent & Gloucester.

Thanks for posting that,I really enjoyed watching that footage.It was a real peek into the past with all the royal ladies and peeresses dressed in their formal attire and tiaras.In a way I prefer the old State Openings of Parliament in the UK and other monarchies.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Thanks for posting that,I really enjoyed watching that footage.It was a real peek into the past with all the royal ladies and peeresses dressed in their formal attire and tiaras.In a way I prefer the old State Openings of Parliament in the UK and other monarchies.
I do too. I love watching all the pomp and circumstance and really like traditions that go back centuries. On the other hand, I wouldn't cross the street to see a US President inaugurated.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I do too. I love watching all the pomp and circumstance and really like traditions that go back centuries. On the other hand, I wouldn't cross the street to see a US President inaugurated.
Nor would I for the Irish version either
Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Nor would I for the Irish version either
Well... maybe I would do the Irish thing if it was in a pub that served Guinness.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Nice video, Nice ceremony.
But one thing I am very upset with is the way they treated Mark Phillips.
Couldnt they give him a chair?
It is so awkward for him to stand with the Ladies-in-Waiting when in his wife and all in-laws were seated royally.
If you say he is non-royal and not a peer, then he shouldnt be invited to the ceremony in the first place.
Once he accompanies his wife, he should be given the same status, albeit one step behind..
No self-respecting man can tolerate this kind of shabby treatment for long.
No wonder he left her for other woma(e)n..
Mark was a Personal ADC to HM. ADCs who are not peers stand just like a lady in waiting does. I rather doubt the seating arrangements at the Opening of Parliament had anything to do with his infidelity towards either his first or his second wife.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Majesty

I too enjoy the State Opening of Parliament ceremony but I also like the Presidential Inaugurations. I'm hoping The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall's attendance at Wednesday's ceremony means they will attend annually and The Cambridge's and Prince Harry will start attending at some point. I think it would be good to see the new faces of the Monarchy attend this event.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe will see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge next year (I can't wait to see the Duchess with a tiara and the Royal Family Order).

Prince Harry will join when her marries, or perhaps before that.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Majesty

The normal routine in the past was for them all to attend and then in the 90s it was decided that it was over the top to have them all there.

I see no reason for anyone other than the monarch and the heir to attend at all and even question any reason for the heir to be there.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Depending on who is elected, I might not like the man in the office, but I respect the Office itself. So as a part of my own American history, yes, I'd like to see an Inauguration in person. It may not have the pizazz of British parliament, but I think we've got nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The normal routine in the past was for them all to attend and then in the 90s it was decided that it was over the top to have them all there.

I see no reason for anyone other than the monarch and the heir to attend at all and even question any reason for the heir to be there.
I actually thought it was beautiful when several members of the royal family attended the Opening. The New Labour party of the 90's thought the ceremony was too grand (according to the DM) and decided to scale back the ceremony a bit.

I think it would be okay for Charles & Camilla, William & Catherine to attend. Perhaps having the Kent's and Gloucester's in attendance would be too much today. I think the Cambridge's will be attending anyway when Charles is on the throne. I think it's just one of the ways The Queen and palace officials are trying to bring the new faces of the Monarchy to the forefront.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
Depending on who is elected, I might not like the man in the office, but I respect the Office itself. So as a part of my own American history, yes, I'd like to see an Inauguration in person. It may not have the pizazz of British parliament, but I think we've got nothing to be ashamed of.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:14 AM
Courtier

What time will State opening begin?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
What time will State opening begin?
Coverage on BBC1 starts tomorrow at 10:30am.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Coverage on BBC1 starts tomorrow at 10:30am.
Thank you........
Old 05-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Majesty

C-SPAN: US Viewers:
British House of Commons: State Opening of British Parliament
Airings-
May 8 at 5:30 AM - C-SPAN2 (2 hr, 0 min)
Schedule - C-SPAN Video Library

BBC One:
http://www.tvpc.com/Channel.php?ChannelID=55

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Majesty

Queen's Speech 2013: What's expected - Bill-by-bill:
BBC News - Queen's Speech 2013: What's expected - Bill-by-bill

State Opening Of Parliament Rehearsal Takes Place-
http://www.royalcentral.co.uk/politi...kes-place-7046

Dr. Maya Angelou

Tags