Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that the House of GRAFF would like to create something tasteful as well as spectacular considering their salon is in London and also having the greatest collection of important jewels in the world.

Daniel Skidmore III
Jewel Expert and Collector

I think William will want her to wear one of Diana's tiaras as sort of a remberance and a way of including her memory in the wedding.

The GoGB&I tiara is my favorite of all HM's headpieces...didn't I read that young girls throughout GB contributed money to purchase it for May of Teck as she then was? And that the Queen calls it "Granny's tiara" and favours it because it is light and easy to wear... Anyway, I seem to recall reading that in either the Field or Menkes jewelry books. Makes sense.

But I very much doubt that Catherine will wear that for the wedding. Perhaps the Middletons will buy one for her...you can pick up quite a decent fender for around a hundred thousand dollars. And maybe her mum will lend her a pair of earrings for the day, as I believe Diana's mother did for her own daughter...

So, do we think pearls, or a diamond choker, or no necklace at all?

I think William will want her to wear one of Diana's tiaras as sort of a remberance and a way of including her memory in the wedding.

Actually I think that if we do see the Lover's Knot, that will be the main reason why she does wear it.

So, do we think pearls, or a diamond choker, or no necklace at all?

I'm leaning towards pearls but then it all depends on the neckline of the dress too. Either pearls or no necklace at all.

Its a shame that a lot of British royal crowns have not been used for years.Like Queen Victorias shappire tiara.Kate should wear that tiara(Her wedding day or another event)because it matches her ring.I know it was Victorias but it deserves to shine not pile in dust forever.

:previous: Obviously he didn't have to sign a confidentiality agreement. Fire him and his 15 - 16 "assistants asses! Do not let his feet touch the floor. :bang:

Lynton

I strongly believe we'll see Kate with the strathmore rose possibly for the wedding or her time as princess. Yet Diana got a rather large tiara when she married, so maybe kate will get a large tiara too?

That's nonsense , Diana wore one of two Spenser family tiaras . There. Is one the Queen gave her however it was not worn at the wedding .

Lynton

Its a shame that a lot of British royal crowns have not been used for years.Like Queen Victorias shappire tiara.Kate should wear that tiara(Her wedding day or another event)because it matches her ring.I know it was Victorias but it deserves to shine not pile in dust forever.

I can assure you none of the Royal families tiaras , pile in dust ! Queen victories tiara is much loved however would not suit , as an appropriate wedding tiara , despite having sapphires in it .

I can assure you none of the Royal families tiaras , pile in dust ! Queen victories tiara is much loved however would not suit , as an appropriate wedding tiara , despite having sapphires in it .

The sapphire tiara is alo not avalible as Queen mary gave it to her daughter Mary and it's now in the psession of her son the Earl of Harewood.

A tiara is never bought by commoners ! It's unlikely the Middelton family will purchase one for her . She certainly won't wear the Spencer Tiara as Diana was entitled to and may not wear one at all . If she does it could be the Russian fringe tiara , worn by her majesty the Queen on her wedding day , or a favorite Greek key pattern tiara worn by Princess Anne on her 50 th birthday , once owned by the Queen Mother .

Ghastly though , so middle class . It's not appropriate to wear necklaces on a soon to be Royal bride .
Perhaps pearls, unlikely though !

I think miss Middelton , will wear Queen Marys , Russian Kokoshnik tiara .it was worn by her majesty Queen Alexandra , Queen Mary , and the current Queen . Imposing and majestic it is formed of sixty one platinum bars , and totally encrusted with 488 diamonds .

Honestly the hair of Kate Middelton will not be down ! This is a royal wedding and in all probability , her hair will be either up or pulled back .

Apparently , she might be wearing the Queen Mothers Scroll tiara , as it suits a young lady , and was a family favorite . Princess Margaret was seen in this tiara regularly as has the Princess royal .

The Rundell is a hideous tiara , and thought to bring bad luck on the wearer .seldom seen today as it is not admired by her Majesty ..
What is likely is that the Queen Marys tiara , Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara .A wedding present to future Queen Mary .A diamond festoon and scroll design, with diamond spikes , set on a bandeau base of alternate round and lozenge collets between two plain bands of diamonds .

:ROFLMAO::lol: Too funny and very true! My computer screen almost got a coffee bath though. ;)

Not an appropriate comment , re the bride of the future King of England .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, Lynton5, tiaras are bought by commoners quite frequently. "Commoners" meaning anyone not royal...technically the Spencers, Bowes-Lyonses, ALL noble families are commoners, and what's that on the heads of the ladies if not tiaras? Either inherited or bought for them on the occasion of their weddings or other significant milestone.

Not to brag, but I've bought one myself. And if you go to any auction house site, you will see them sold there all the time. ANYONE can wear one...if you have the money and don't mind the headache! They really are astoundingly uncomfortable...

As for necklaces, oh look, what's that I see around the necks of royal brides? Pearls, diamonds...check out the pictures before making sweeping claims like "so middle-class". Maybe Diana didn't wear a necklace, but Sarah did, Sophie did, Princess Elizabeth too, if I'm not mistaken. Hardly middle-class! ;)

The Rundell is a hideous tiara , and thought to bring bad luck on the wearer .seldom seen today as it is not admired by her Majesty ..
What is likely is that the Queen Marys tiara , Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara .A wedding present to future Queen Mary .A diamond festoon and scroll design, with diamond spikes , set on a bandeau base of alternate round and lozenge collets between two plain bands of diamonds .

Where do you get your information from!!!
True that the Rundell has not been seen since the 1920's but, as has been discussed on this forum, Queen Mary was a mature lady in her forties when her Mother in Law died. She had a large collection of her own and the Rundell was so identified with Queen Alexandra. In the next generation the Prince of Wales remained unmarried until he abdicated and became Duke of Windsor. By this time his sister in law had a number of tiara's she had received as wedding presents as well as, once she became Queen Consort, the crown jewels. We then come down to our current Queen who inherited Queen Mary's entire collection just after becoming Queen. There has been little need for the Rundell to be used. This could well be the time for the Rundell to return to the limelight. However, I think it will be the Strathmore or the Scroll Tiara.

I doubt it; that's known to be the Queen's favorite tiara, which she wears frequently, so I don't believe she'll part with it.

Perhaps the Middletons will buy one for her...you can pick up quite a decent fender for around a hundred thousand dollars.

It just occurred to me that, given what Kate must be spending on all the designer clothing we see her in, and that the Middletons are about to pass those expenses off to her husband, they might consider themselves to be getting off easy by buying her a tiara for $50,000-$100,000!

Last edited:
[She] may not wear one at all . If she does it could be the Russian fringe tiara , worn by her majesty the Queen on her wedding day , or a favorite Greek key pattern tiara worn by Princess Anne on her 50 th birthday , once owned by the Queen Mother .

I think miss Middelton , will wear Queen Marys , Russian Kokoshnik tiara .it was worn by her majesty Queen Alexandra , Queen Mary , and the current Queen .

What is likely is that the Queen Marys tiara , Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara .

I believe it is completely UNlikely that she will wear any of the tiaras currently in use by HM. That would include the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland, the Russian Kokoshnik, and the Vladimir Circle Tiara. The Oriental Circlet (perhaps my favorite--I adore it!) was worn by the Queen Mother for decades and has now been seen on HM since the QM's death.

It seems UNlikely to me that she would wear the Hanover Russian Fringe Tiara. This seems to the the wedding tiara of choice for the ladies in the Royal Family, but not brides marrying into the Royal Family.

I consider it equally UNlikely that she will wear the Meander Tiara which is now Princess Anne's.

The Duchess of Cornwall is wearing the Boucheron Honeycomb and the Delhi Durbar tiaras, so they are out of the running, IMO.

What's left are the older tiaras which have not been seen in many years (the Scroll, the Strathmore Rose, the Teck Crescent tiaras, maybe the Rundell, the Feodorovna Sapphire Bandeau, probably several others I've missed). I'd be delighted to see any of these.

HM or the POW might also give her a newly purchased tiara.

The Middleton family might also give her a newly purchased tiara.

These are pretty much the options, as I see it. I am anxious to see which it is!

I hope she wears the Strathmore rose... I think it would look great on her.

I am of mixed opinions of Davids Bridal doing this. For some reason I don't feel its right for a bazillion Strathmore Roses floating around out there yet on the other hand, it would be a unique chance to wear the "crown jewels". From what I've seen on the Facebook page, its getting a lot of positive feedback but at this time they are NOT for sale.

I'm of mixed feelings too. I'm thinking that many of the customers of David's bridal would have no idea about the history of the original tiaras. I'm wondering if they are just testing the waters before they put them on sale as the posts seem to indicate that they are adding to their tiara selection in the fall. It could be that they will only sell a replica of Kate's tiara.

Why should it matter if people buying it know the history behind the real one? I don't see how that's of any importance to a company selling something for customers to buy. If it looks good, people will buy it....and maybe they'll choose to investigate further as to information about the actual Strathmore Rose tiara, but if they don't.......it's not a big deal.

If the rumors that Libelula will be her dress designer are true, then I take back what I said upthread about the tall tiaras and the Kokoshnik and the Vladimir (although I still think she'd wear them well). They're too heavy for that look. Still hoping for the beautiful Rundell (or that the Surrey survives, too). But I can see her in the Strathmore or the scroll or the Teck, with their low profiles.

Excuse me....

It just occurred to me that, given what Kate must be spending on all the designer clothing we see her in, and that the Middletons are about to pass those expenses off to her husband, they might consider themselves to be getting off easy by buying her a tiara for $50,000-$100,000!

OK, I'm a late comer to this thread, I'm not royal by any stretch of the imagination, I'm not smart in royal wedding protocol, and I definitely am as common as they get!:ROFLMAO: The Middleton's have to BUY Kate a tiara? I read where some brides receive em' as a gift. This is news to this little ole Southern gal!:lol:

mgrant said:
The Middleton's have to BUY Kate a tiara? I read where some brides receive em' as a gift. This is news to this little ole Southern gal!:lol:

No they don't have too but they can, some brides families gave them tiaras for their wedding but they by no means have to

The Middletons don't have to buy Catherine a tiara. They certainly can if they want to, but it's not a requirement. The odds are more than good that she'll receive a tiara from the Queen to wear on her wedding day, and that'll be that. Now, that tiara could be something on loan just for the wedding, or it could be something Catherine will be allowed to wear for any state occasions to which her and William are invited that would necessitate the wearing of a tiara. That we won't know until such an event occurs.

The Middletons don't have to buy Catherine a tiara. They certainly can if they want to, but it's not a requirement. The odds are more than good that she'll receive a tiara from the Queen to wear on her wedding day, and that'll be that. Now, that tiara could be something on loan just for the wedding, or it could be something Catherine will be allowed to wear for any state occasions to which her and William are invited that would necessitate the wearing of a tiara. That we won't know until such an event occurs.

Whew! Thank you, MRSJ and Sister Morphine. I thought somebody was trying to sneak something new in on me!:lol: My personal favorite was the Poltimore(is that correct?) tiara worn by Princess Margaret at her in wedding in the 1960s. I know it went up on the auction block following her death and is now in someone's private collection never to be seen no more. That would have been too much tiara for Kate anyhow, not that she would have gotten the chance to wear it anyway....

Last edited:
No, no, as others have said, of course the Middletons (not the "Middleton's") are not required to buy Catherine a tiara! :D I only suggested that they could. Which of course they can. But she will almost certainly be given one by the Queen, or Prince Charles, even.

mgrant, I too loved the Poltimore and was sad to learn of its fate. I'm sure its new owner is enjoying it.

Which brings me to another question: how are tiaras named? For the style (meander, Greek key) Or for the original owner or commissioner, no matter how many (and more illustrious) hands it may later pass through? It's still "officially" the Bagration pink spinel, not the Westminster pink spinel, though I have seen it described so (and how does one pronounce "Bagration" anyway?) "The Poltimore" does sound grander than "the Armstrong-Jones"...

If Catherine gets a new one, would it be the Middleton? Is Sophie's wedding confection the Wessex? I love this stuff!

A few months ago I submitted the following:

"I recall hearing recently (not sure where, now - sorry) that soon after the engagement announcement, Catherine was invited to Buckingham Palace where the Queen had instructed that every tiara, along with other dazzling jewels from the royal vaults, be laid out for Catherine's inspection in one of the ballrooms. This was when Catherine chose the tiara she will wear on her wedding day. The British royals have a substantial collection of priceless heirloom jewels and tiaras, and the general public has only seen a mere fraction of what is in those vaults. There are, apparently, very many pieces of historic provenance that haven't been seen or worn by members of the royal family in decades.

Catherine's wedding gift may not, of course, be the one she wears on her wedding day. I'd be surprised if Catherine chose the Cambridge Lovers Knot as it's so closely associated with Diana and both William and Catherine have made clear that Catherine will be pursuing her own independent course, and because Diana complained about it, saying often that it was too heavy for her and always gave her a shocking headache."

I now recall where I heard the news about Catherine's selection of jewels and tiara - it was from Yvonne Yorke's column, she who first nominated Libelula as the designer of the wedding dress. I don't know who her informants are, but Ms Yorke is usually quite accurate.

I hope she wears the Strathmore rose... I think it would look great on her.

Yes, I think it would fit Catherine perfectly. I love that tiara! It's Ok for me if the Middletons buy a new tiara for her unless they don't have to sell their organs to pay for it.

By the way, I am new here, and also very inexperienced, my grandmother was a big fan of princess Diana and after she died in last August I felt like I have to take care of her interests. We would have so much fun together waiting for the wedding. I miss her. And I am pretty sure she'd adore the Strathmore roses! :))

As Diana married the direct heir I would expect that she recieved more grand jewellery than Catherine is going to recieve - William is a step behind his father at the same time of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom