Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I even found this thread I wondered would the Strathmore Tiara be used by Catherine because technically she will be the next Queen Consort after HM QEQM and it would be an homage to her. While there is talk that Camilla may become a QC, for now, they still refer to her future title as Princess Consort.

Technically Camilla is the next Queen Consort as the wife of the king is the queen by law and the next king is her husband Charles. To deprive Camilla of her rightful title as consort of the king it would need legislation which is not even discussed at the moment. It doesnt matter what is said about Camilla's style once her husband acceeds to the throne by law (and thus: technically) she is the next Queen Consort if both she and her husband live to see the day HM dies. :flowers:

As for the Strathmore Tiara: it was purchased at a time when the nobility still gave jewels to the Royal Family (Think of the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland"-tiara - the "girls" being the peeresses who gave the tiara as a present), so it seemed a suitable gift of the Earl and Countess of Strathmore to their daughter who was to become a Royal, even if only a minor one as the daughter-in-law and future sister-in-law of the current and next king. It was never meant to be a tiara for the Queen Consort or The Princess of Wales. In the 1920s thoughts about the suitability of tiaras for a Royal lady of a certain position were common and surely are still thought in the Royal household (think of Sophie Wessex' tiara!), thus I don't think they'll find the Strathmore-tiara suitable for Catherine as a future queen.

So my first question, does the Starthmore Tiara with its motifs of roses and oaks give Catherine the best luck in terms of motifs?
Conorius, I hope either for the Strathmore tiara or a Middleton tiara. I think the Strathmore tiara because of the motifs. I read Catherine designed the wedding cake motifs of flowers, acorns etc. I just think that tiara is perfect for a form fitting wedding dress that I visualize Ms Middleton in. The Middleton's might give her a tiara to follow in previous generations of nobility giving jewels to the Royal Family. We just got to wait and see.

BTW I think whatever tiara. Catherine would look best with her hair down but away from her face.

Last edited by a moderator:
If she were to wear HM koloshnik tiara with some small white roses in front of it, the height of the tiara would look a little lower possibly.
The Kokoshnik is a tiara HM often uses, and I think she is unlikely to offer it to Catherine. I am not aware of HM ever allowing access to another lady of the BRF to use one of the tiara's she still uses. For example, Diana was provided the Cambridge Lovers Knot, but HM had not used it for some time by then.
However I have noted the there are some people on here who think that the Midletons may purchase a tiara for her. I think that is a wonderful idea, adding a new tiara to the royal collection called the Midleton Tiara would be a lovely idea.
I too think it would be a lovely idea if the Middleton's bought a tiara for Catherine. They are not that expensive, and would be a lovely "Middleton" heirloom.
I really hope that it will not be the Cambridge Tiara, or any of the Fringe Tiaras. I also like the idea of the oriental circlet but with the rubies removed and small diamonds or button pearls inserted instead.
It is unlikely to be the Oriental Circlet as it was left (I think by Queen Victoria) to the Crown for use by future queens, and Catherine will not be Queen on her wedding day (or potentially, for some time).

Thanks for the input there.

I am aware of the legal ramifications of Camilla being Princess Consort so I wont start talking about it in this thread as it will be dragging me off topic.

That is very interesting about the flowers and acorn motifs on her cake.

I think ultimately it will depend on her dress really. There are so many rumours floating around about it that we really cant say what influence the jewellry will play. If it is going to have a lot of lace as is being predicted, would an ornate or a simple tiara suit it best?

Also we seem to be concentrating on tiaras, has anyone given any thought to earrings or necklaces or bracelets? I quite like Queen Marys diamond studs and also HM modern diamond drops. However if she wears her hair down they wont really be that visible.

In terms of a necklace i would assume something simple so as not to detract from the dress or tiara. Any suggestions? I do like HM south african diamond necklace which she received when she was still only a Princess, she always calls them her best diamonds apparently. But I doubt she would part with them even for one day :)

As an interior designer, I make my living "intuiting" what people want and will like. That said, I can be just as wrong as the next person!!!!

However, I can't resist putting my opinion out there: judging by observing Kate's tastes and choices, I think she will go for the something of simpler lines or style than the Strathmore. If she's offered a wide range of possibilites, perhaps the fringe or Kokoshnik.

I really hope not the fringe.... its really spiky looking. The kokoshnik would be lovely too I think, but its really big.... might be too much for a bride possibly? I can almost hear comparisons to my big fat gypsy wedding :lol:

One thing I've noticed is Catherine has a relatively small head. She may not be able to wear some of the older tiaras comfortably without adjustments because they are too wide and will look "top-heavy" on her.

I'm thinking she may receive a brand-new tiara after all.

I'm atill betting on the Lover's Knot. Why dont we have a poll?

:previous: Because not many normal people want to see Prince Williams symbolically "Marry" his mother! :eek:

Catherine would look wonderful in the Lovers Knot but, this is her wedding and it would be just too OTT to wear such a potent symbol of her dead mother-in-law to be. :ermm:

I second that...

I think that's ridiculous. It is entirely in the royal tradition for jewels to be borrowed or passed on to daughter-in-laws, especially on their wedding day. What makes it so different for Catherine?

Diana passed away 14 years ago and it's time to move on. Her jewels shouldn't sit in a vault somewhere forever and William and Harry should pass them on to their wives.

I think that's ridiculous. It is entirely in the royal tradition for jewels to be borrowed or passed on to daughter-in-laws, especially on their wedding day. What makes it so different for Catherine?
Diana did not own any tiaras herself at the time of death and in most, even aristocratic families, have only one tiara and even some royal families have small collections so there is probably a default tiara the bride gets to wear. I think the difference for Catherine is that since it's up to the Queen to give her a tiara, she has a LOT to choose from, so she doesn't HAVE to get Lover's Knot.

I think it's up to Catherine to decide whether or not she wants to wear the Lover's Knot on her wedding day. Yes, the Queen has the say on which one to gift but I'm sure she's not completely insensitive if Catherine should prefer not to wear another Diana associated jewelry. I'm not for or against Catherine wearing "Diana jewels," that's for Catherine to decide whatever she's most comfortable doing. Personally, I want to see her in something from the vaults because I love to see an older, almost forgotten tiara make a comeback, much the Lover's Knot did in the 80s.

Last edited:
:previous: Because not many normal people want to see Prince Williams symbolically "Marry" his mother! :eek:

Catherine would look wonderful in the Lovers Knot but, this is her wedding and it would be just too OTT to wear such a potent symbol of her dead mother-in-law to be. :ermm:
Who said anything about him marrying his mother? How abnormal that you came up with that. I still say they will be the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and that this tiara, specifically being held for use by William's wife would have perfect historical attachement to that title.

Who said anything about him marrying his mother? How abnormal that you came up with that. I still say they will be the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and that this tiara, specifically being held for use by William's wife would have perfect historical attachement to that title.

I agree with you here Scooter. Although the Lover's Knot tiara is mostly known these days as being a tiara worn by Diana, it has a lot more historical significance that dates back before Diana was even a twinkle in her daddy's eye. If they are to become the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, she won't be the first Duchess of Cambridge to wear a Lover's Knot tiara.

from Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara- Reference Database Queens Tiara-Internet Stones.COM

Origin of Name

The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara was designed and executed in 1913 by E. Wolff & Co. for the royal jewelers Garrards, who were commissioned by Queen Mary, the Queen consort of King George V, to create a tiara based on the design of one owned by her maternal grandmother Princess Augusta of Hesse, the Duchess of Cambridge, wife of Prince Adolphus, the Duke of Cambridge, who was the seventh son of King George III. The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara gets its name from the original Lovers Knot Tiara owned by Princess Augusta of Hesse, the Duchess of Cambridge, which was given to her by her family at the time of her marriage to Prince Adolphus in 1818. The original Lovers Knot Tiara was subsequently given as a gift by Princess Augusta to her eldest daughter Augusta Caroline at the time of her marriage to Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Lovers Knot bows were part of the design of the tiara, which was repeated along the entire length of the tiara, and from which originated two drop-shaped pearls, one hanging down and the other rising up like a spike. Thus the name Lovers Knot is derived from the repeated theme of this Gothic revival tiara.

When you hear these four words..."Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara"...do you immediately think of Queen Mary or King George V? The Dukedom of Cambridge? Princess Augusta of Hesse or her marriage in 1818 to Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge, 7th son of King George III? Or Augusta Caroline's marriage to Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm of Mecklenburg-Strelitz? Just inquiring...

Unfortunately a majority of people associate the Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara with William's mother...Diana and that association may last for a couple of generations...IMHO

Oh I definitely agree with you that the tiara is very much associated with Diana. I think Diana should be remembered wearing it, William most defiintely wants his mother to be remembered and I think he would be be pleased if his wife wore a tiara associated with her. Also, with wearing this tiara as the Duchess of Cambridge (should this be the case), the historical significance would not only be more widely publicized, it would also give a sense of continuity to a piece of royal jewelry that has been in the family for years. Filing this tiara away in the royal vaults just because of its association with Diana to me would be a real shame.

However, I do not see Kate wearing this tiara for her wedding should they not be granted the Dukedom of Cambridge. I would expect something more like the Strathmore. No matter what Kate wears though, I'm sure it will have meaning behind it.

I think it will take a concerted publicity effort to minimise the "Diana Factor" in relation to the Cambridge Tiara. Before Catherine, or anyone else, wears it a real history lesson on Queen Mary & how the tiara came into being will have to be conducted.

I have no problem with Kate wearing the Cambridge Lover's knot, just not for the wedding. I should also state that I don't see Harry's future wife wearing it, it is just a little to grand for the wife of the second son to the heir. JMHO.

It's not abnormal at all. So much fuss was made about William giving her Diana's engagement ring with insinuations about a mother fixation it would just stir it up further if she wore the tiara so closely associated with Diana for her wedding. Can you imagine the reaction of the press the moment she stepped withn camera range in her wedding dress wearing this tiara? "The dress is lovely, but LOOK she is wearing DIANA'S TIARA!"

Of course she will more than likely end up wearing many jewels that belonged to Daina at one point or another, and she maay very well wear the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara at some Royal functions. However, for this day I don't see her doing that simply because the focus should be on her and William and not the ghost of Diana.

:previous:
I would really like to see her family gift her a tiara.

I'm not sure that the Middletons are rich enough for a nice one :whistling: they would have to cut back quite a bit :D

I would love if William' family :lol: gave her one. If not, and as so many have said before, His gradma could gently lent one of hers.
My problem with the Middletons giving a tiara for her is that would give the "moaners" another chance to question them. "they must have planned this for ages, buying the tiara and waiting for the proposal".
I also want to be surprised with a headpiece that carries a special meaning. Kind of the same way it happened in the first engagement in Angelsey. Remember the facinator?! it's clear that some effort was put into it, with the Prince of Wales feathers on the larger badge, for that reason I'm holding my hopes up for something totally appropriate and new. :flowers:

Last edited:
Since I've already mentioned that I think she may wear the fringe tiara, I am going to guess that she will not wear a necklace, but will wear some lovely diamond earrings. If they dangle, they will be restrained, not too chandelier-y. JMHO.

Since I've already mentioned that I think she may wear the fringe tiara, I am going to guess that she will not wear a necklace, but will wear some lovely diamond earrings. If they dangle, they will be restrained, not too chandelier-y. JMHO.

I think Kate will probably opt out for pearls for any jewelry worn other than her tiara whichever one that may be. Pearls have had a long line of tradition in many cultures over the ages in meaning. Figures the first place I looked up on the meaning of pearls would be HM :)

What's the Tradition Behind Wearing Pearls for Weddings? - Wedding Questions - Wedding Dress Questions - TheKnot.com

As you've mentioned with Kate's well chosen outfit for her first engagement with William on Anglesy, there was a lot of thought put into what she wore. I don't expect anything less for her wedding day. We have to remember that this dress and whatever else she wears with it is going to become a item of history much like HM's dress, Diana's dress and so forth. For this reason I really don't think Kate will be wearing a new tiara but rather something that has a bit of tradition and/or historical meanings behind it. One thing I think we can bet our bottom doughnuts on is that there will be meaning behind everything she wears. Now... wouldn't it be totally amazing if for something borrowed.. she wore a strand of HM's pearls? :whistling:

Catherine is not Diana and I think wearing her mother-in-law's jewels isn't going to be such a big deal. People will expect to see Diana's jewels reappearing and the intent was William would inherit all of her royal jewels for his wife to wear as the future Princess of Wales and Queen Consort.

I just don't see what the hoopla is all about. The Lover's Knot Tiara is lovely, has a very strong association with The Queen and her grandmother, in addition to Diana, and Catherine undoubtedly will wear many of Diana's pieces anyway.

Last edited:
Ahh... I like how you put that. I think that really other than her sapphire engagement ring (which actually could actually have been bought by anyone from Garrard's catalog at the time) and the Spencer tiara (and of course her wedding ring), most of the pieces worn by Diana were of significance to the royal family.

The engagement ring given to Kate by William was a special remembrance of a beloved mother. No matter what tiara she wears on her wedding day, it will have significance for both William and Kate. If by chance it was worn previously by Diana, I can only see that as a plus. They're not picking what they wear, or what they do or how they do things with the people and the media in mind and what they'll think, but doing what is important to them and those close to them. Diana was William's mother and I'd think it quite odd if her memory didn't serve as a big part of their day.

On Diana's ring:

"Unlike many celebrity engagement rings, when the public must hypothesize about an engagement ring's price and jewelers are sworn to discretion and secrecy about their client's privacy, the public knew the cost of Diana's engagement ring instantly. It was actually a piece in the regular Garrard catalog and therefore could be purchased by anyone, for the hefty price of 28,000 British pounds, or the equivalent of $65,000 (at 1981 exchange rates)."

Princess Diana's Engagement Ring - LoveToKnow Engagement Rings

...I think we can bet our bottom doughnuts on is that there will be meaning behind everything she wears. Now... wouldn't it be totally amazing if for something borrowed.. she wore a strand of HM's pearls? :whistling:

I'll be betting on your team :). and about the pearls, well, I would love to see that just to read the reactions of some obnoxious people.That's too harsh but nonetheless true :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom