Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks exactly like the People magazine article.

I think it'll be a new tiara or the Rundell Tiara.

The girls tiara is QEII favourite, the Duchess Wladimir is too big, Camilla's two tiaras won't also go to her, Dianas tiara => never !, Margaret's tiaras are too small and some small needs to be left to Sophie and Harry's wife.

There are also the Brazilian tiara and the oriental circlet, but they have colored stones and thats hard to style.

If the Rundell tiara doesn't exist anymore, she might also get one of the fringe tiaras, but Kate has the head and the face to wear something rather simple.

does anyone really think that the British people will go bonkers if Catherine arrives at the Abbey in a new tiara from Garrard's? I know I would be thrilled :ermm:

Nor do I think they'll go bonkers if she shows up in the Lover's Knot. Everyone on this board seems all a twitter about it. Kind of like he'll NEVER give her that ring. Well the world didnt come to an end there either. That being said, I vote for the Vladimir, for flexibility. Also, It goes so nicely with the title Duchess of Cambridge!

I do not believe that Queen Elizabeth will pass onto Kate a tiara that she continues to wear with some regularity. That automatically takes the Girls of Great Britain, The Vladimir, and Alexandra's 25th anniversary fringe tiara out of the running of potentials. I still contend that because Kate is the wife of the son of the heir to the throne that we will see a lovely tiara--but not necessarily anything substantial like the Rundell. It is quite likely we will see the Cambridge Lover's Knot, or a simple bandeau type tiara. I would love to see her receive a newly purchased piece but am very excited about something being unearthed that we've not seen in decades. I still think the most likely contenders are the Strathmore Rose, the Scroll, Queen Mary's lozenge tiara, or eQueen mary's fillegree tiara. They're all lovely, simple, and not overly large--which befits Kate's place at this time being the wife of the son of the heir. She will not receive a tiara that is larger than any of Camilla's--that wouldn't be appropriate or really practical for Kate. Personally, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the Lotus Flower tiara reappear on Kate but we do not know where it may be.

Nor do I think they'll go bonkers if she shows up in the Lover's Knot. Everyone on this board seems all a twitter about it. Kind of like he'll NEVER give her that ring. Well the world didnt come to an end there either. That being said, I vote for the Vladimir, for flexibility. Also, It goes so nicely with the title Duchess of Cambridge!

It is entirely in the royal tradition for jewels to reappear after the death of primary wearer. I don't see people flipping out about Camilla wearing The Queen Mother's jewels, which is certainly a lot more controversial than Catherine wearing Diana's.

The Lover's Knot Tiara was only worn by The Queen a handful of times early in her reign. It then disappeared into the vaults for years until she gave it to Diana as a wedding gift. While it was returned after her untimely death (Diana retained the tiara and other royal jewels after the divorce), the original intent was for these jewels to pass to Prince William's future wife.

So, I think it would be perfectly nice and appropriate for Catherine to wear the Lover's Knot. The Queen isn't going to start wearing it, so why not?

I think it'll be a new tiara or the Rundell Tiara.

The girls tiara is QEII favourite, the Duchess Wladimir is too big, Camilla's two tiaras won't also go to her, Dianas tiara => never !, Margaret's tiaras are too small and some small needs to be left to Sophie and Harry's wife.

There are also the Brazilian tiara and the oriental circlet, but they have colored stones and thats hard to style.

It might be a new tiara or the Rundell Tiara (assuming it hasn't been broken up to create new jewels), but it might not. The Rundell Tiara is rather big and Alexandra wore it with wiglets on the top of her head, so it might be too heavy and ornate. Margaret was given the Lotus Flower Tiara by her mother and it likely remains with Lady Sarah or Viscount Linley.

The other tiaras are either The Queen's personal favorites from the pieces given to her by her grandmother, a state gift, or were designated as belonging to the Crown to be worn in right of it. So, Catherine isn't going to wear the Brazilian Aquamarine Tiara or the Oriental Circlet unless she becomes Queen.

Actually I think that there are probably some unhappy people when Camilla wears any jewels.

As for the tiara...If she wants to truly create an image all her own they need to buy her something else or let her borrow something else. I don't actually think she would look good in Diana's tiara. Queen Elizabeth nor Queen Mary didn't look all that good in it. ( I love the way Queen Mary wore jewels by the way. Impractical yes but beautiful and sparkly :lol:) Something about Diana really made that tiara great. It suited her for some reason that I can't figure out.

I am still not convinced William even got that tiara anyway. I have heard so many stories one way or the other.

As for paying for a new one...Well the taxpayers are probably more mad about paying for the wedding. The tiara would be out of the Queen's pocket so I don't think it would make people all that angry.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
William's got millions. It's odd that we easily overlook the fact that William (and Harry) are incredibly wealthy young men by any standards.
If they so chose, both could easily afford to buy their wives-to-be any grand tiara that took their fancy.

I still think the most likely contenders are the Strathmore Rose, the Scroll, Queen Mary's lozenge tiara, or Queen mary's fillegree tiara. They're all lovely, simple, and not overly large--which befits Kate's place at this time being the wife of the son of the heir. She will not receive a tiara that is larger than any of Camilla's--that wouldn't be appropriate or really practical for Kate.

i am unfamiliar with mary's filligree tiara and the lozenge. does anyone have a link to a picture?

I have no problem with Kate wearing the cambridge lovers knot, but I would rather see her in it after the wedding.

Correct Warren, they not only have a healthy inheritance from the Mother but another healthy helping form their Grandmother, and there is still more to come I think! They could easily afford new jewelry from their own pockets. Though I reckon William will be paying for some of the wedding in private.

William's got millions. It's odd that we easily overlook the fact that William (and Harry) are incredibly wealthy young men by any standards.
If they so chose, both could easily afford to buy their wives-to-be any grand tiara that took their fancy.

So does The Queen and Prince Charles. Catherine could be given a new tiara purchased from Garrard's as a wedding gift, similar to Sarah Ferguson, from The Queen or The Prince of Wales.

About the Strathmore Rose tiara , I have began to doubt that it is going to be given to Catherine. The reason it that that I have read many times here that the tiara needs a certain amount of repair and also that the diamonds used in it are old cut and not that valuable . So if it is true that it is damaged I am thinking that well , what if the repair needed to restore the piece is not worth the trouble (or it is even more expensive that the tiara itself ?) . Therefore althought it would be nice to see it being used again , I am starting to doubt it

About the Strathmore Rose tiara , I have began to doubt that it is going to be given to Catherine. The reason it that that I have read many times here that the tiara needs a certain amount of repair and also that the diamonds used in it are old cut and not that valuable . So if it is true that it is damaged I am thinking that well , what if the repair needed to restore the piece is not worth the trouble (or it is even more expensive that the tiara itself ?) . Therefore althought it would be nice to see it being used again , I am starting to doubt it

The piece has major sentimental attachment for the family, especially Prince Charles due to it being a wedding present to his beloved Grandmama. While we know that, officially, all of the Queen Mum's jewels went to the Queen it is apparent that Charles has unlimited access to them.
I think it would be a wonderful way to honour the Queen Mum as Diana has been honoured with the engagement ring.

Very true. As you can see I thought of the Queen but not William. :ermm:

I think that would be a great idea.

About the Rundell tiara - George and Mary might have made sure that any wedding gifts would remain in their line of the family but isn't there a possibility that the tiara from that parure had already left the " main " family when Queen Alexandra died? What if Alexandra had gifted the tiara away when she was still alive? I have looked to various close ups of the Norvegian Maltese cross tiara and the bases look so similar to me...

A couple of years ago there was this documentary " Painting the Queen" by Rolf, in one segment the Queen herself states that most of Queen Alexandra's jewels are still in the vaults, untouched for almost a century. She goes on to discuss the ropes of pearls worn by Alexandra, which the queen thought were "quite grand". Judging from this it can be safe to say that the Rundell might still be in the vaults, along with the infamous Cartier Collier.

Tiara?

I simply can't see the BRF NOT having Catherine wear a tiara. If there is one thing they do exceptionally well, it is pomp and ceremony. Even with a morning ceremony, I simply can't see The Firm allowing her down the aisle with no tiara. Can you imagine the criticism and backlash about how "stingy" and "penny-pinching" they are if that were to happen? I don't really care what tiara Catherine wears, but my preference would be for anything OTHER than the Cambridge Lover's Knot. She is going to be compared to Diana for many years, so let Catherine have her OWN wedding day.

I think something like the Strathmore Rose would be wonderful. Regardless of it's monetary value it is a piece of history and as a "first" tiara would look wonderful on Catherine. I am not sure but I don't think that William has even attended a "State Banquet" as yet and, with what we are hearing about their immediate future, I don't see that changing.

Catherine will have great need of a new wardrobe to acquit herself well in public and some great jewelry to go with it but I don't see tiara's looming large on the horizon just yet.

In my romantic mind I see her arrive at her first "Tiara" event wearing a terrific gala dress adorned with the demi parure that matches her engagement ring and . . . . . an ethereal sapphire tiara to complement it. :flowers:

Could Catherine have a tiara made? Such as for an event or function. Actually another question i've always had is, can any member of the royal house (I am pretty sure the Queen can right?) have a tiara "made" or does a more historic tiara get "re-vamped" so to speak?

I do not believe that Queen Elizabeth will pass onto Kate a tiara that she continues to wear with some regularity. That automatically takes the Girls of Great Britain, The Vladimir, and Alexandra's 25th anniversary fringe tiara out of the running of potentials. I still contend that because Kate is the wife of the son of the heir to the throne that we will see a lovely tiara--but not necessarily anything substantial like the Rundell. It is quite likely we will see the Cambridge Lover's Knot, or a simple bandeau type tiara. I would love to see her receive a newly purchased piece but am very excited about something being unearthed that we've not seen in decades. I still think the most likely contenders are the Strathmore Rose, the Scroll, Queen Mary's lozenge tiara, or eQueen mary's fillegree tiara. They're all lovely, simple, and not overly large--which befits Kate's place at this time being the wife of the son of the heir. She will not receive a tiara that is larger than any of Camilla's--that wouldn't be appropriate or really practical for Kate. Personally, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the Lotus Flower tiara reappear on Kate but we do not know where it may be.

Great response. I too am now leaning toward the Middleton's buying her a lovely tiara to bring into the marriage and as she ascends others can be conferred for her use. But you are right, those elegant bandeaus in the royal collection are the best bet. We are not likely to see the lotus flower as it was worn by Margaret and more importantly was worn by Viscount Linley's bride (Lady Serena Stanhope) on her wedding day.

AR

So it looks like Hello! magazine has finally jumped on the bandwagon in trying predict a tiara for Miss Middleton. Unfortunately, the seemed to just rip off People magazine's list (and some of the pictures) and (horrors!) mislabeled the Grand Duchess Vladimir as the Cambridge lover's knot! I would have expected an American magazine to make mistakes like that but not one who follows the monarchy as closely as Hello! And like the People magazine spread, most of these pieces are very unlikely to be bestowed on Catherine given they already have frequent wearers.
Which royal tiara will Kate Middleton wear on her wedding day?

Ugh! Do people even bother to do research. Camilla has be wearing the Delhi Durbar so it is off the table. And why on earth would they include the spencer tiara or Sophie of Wessex or Fergie's tiara's? They belong to their owners and are not in play....infuriating.

AR

Could Catherine have a tiara made? Such as for an event or function. Actually another question i've always had is, can any member of the royal house (I am pretty sure the Queen can right?) have a tiara "made" or does a more historic tiara get "re-vamped" so to speak?

Both possibilities have occurred in the past.

Sarah Ferguson received a new tiara ordered by The Queen from Garrard's as a wedding gift when she married The Duke of York.

Sophie Rhys-Jones received a tiara that was remodeled by Garrard's using elements of an old circlet of Queen Victoria's that was in the vaults when she married The Earl of Wessex.

Camilla Parker-Bowles received the Delhi Durbar tiara, which was created for Queen Mary to her order by Garrard's for the Durbar ceremony in India. Originally a closed diadem worn on the top of the head, it was opened up and remodeled as a tiara for Camilla.

Tiaras can be made brand-new or old ones can be remodeled or repaired if the stones are good enough to be worth the expense of resetting them.

Last edited:
Bit off topic but I thought I read in one of the tiara books (fields or munns) that Sarah requested that a tiara be bought for her. Anyone have any information?

Honestly, no I don't recall where Sarah asked for a new tiara. I think it was probably time to bring a new one into the mix, and now her daughters can wear it someday. Sarah can be overbearing, but this would take a lot of nerve.

Honestly, no I don't recall where Sarah asked for a new tiara. I think it was probably time to bring a new one into the mix, and now her daughters can wear it someday. Sarah can be overbearing, but this would take a lot of nerve.

Okay. I thought they gave her a choice but it has been awhile since I have read the books so I could be wrong.

Bit off topic but I thought I read in one of the tiara books (fields or munns) that Sarah requested that a tiara be bought for her. Anyone have any information?

It was in Menckes. I don't have it in front of me, but I'll get the exact quote tomorrow.

The Scroll Tiara, the ear-rings are indeed perfect for Catherine. They would suit her. I dont know about the necklace for the wedding, but perfect for a more formal occasion as her set. I'd love to see her with that entire set. She'd look fantastic. Problem solved. What's to say against it?

I think the scroll tiara is a strong contender as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom