Trooping the Colour 2: 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
257px-Royal_Coat_of_Arms_of_the_United_Kingdom_%28Tudor_crown%29.svg.png

Arms of The United Kingdom

Welcome to the thread Trooping the Colour, Part 2

Commencing September 1st, 2022

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
Has it been confirmed the the working royals and the non-working royals will all be on the balcony?

I don't believe it has been confirmed who is attending other than it seems Harry hasn't been invited and Andrew won't be there.

I think that given that it was Charles who pushed for working royals only at last year's Jubilee and then again at the coronation I don't think we will see the full balcony again. I hope I am wrong but Charles is aware that the public think that everyone up there is on the royal payroll and so he wants to send out a message of a smaller royal family.

I hope I am wrong but I suspect that even the carriages will be quite limited:

1. Camilla, Catherine, George, Charlotte and Louis
2. Edward, Sophie, Louise and James
3. Tim, Richard, Birgitte and Edward (not sure that the Duke of Kent will want to sit in a carriage for that long so maybe he will do what he did last year and take the salute from the balcony).

I don't expect we will see the York's etc. They may attend but not be seen.

The days of the extended family of the late Queen are now gone. Whereas she included her cousins and their children and grandchildren I don't see Charles doing that.

Obviously William and his family, Edward and his family, Anne and Tim and then the working royals.

I don't believe it has been confirmed who is attending other than it seems Harry hasn't been invited and Andrew won't be there.

I think that given that it was Charles who pushed for working royals only at last year's Jubilee and then again at the coronation I don't think we will see the full balcony again. I hope I am wrong but Charles is aware that the public think that everyone up there is on the royal payroll and so he wants to send out a message of a smaller royal family.

I hope I am wrong but I suspect that even the carriages will be quite limited:

1. Camilla, Catherine, George, Charlotte and Louis
2. Edward, Sophie, Louise and James
3. Tim, Richard, Birgitte and Edward (not sure that the Duke of Kent will want to sit in a carriage for that long so maybe he will do what he did last year and take the salute from the balcony).

I don't expect we will see the York's etc. They may attend but not be seen.

The days of the extended family of the late Queen are now gone. Whereas she included her cousins and their children and grandchildren I don't see Charles doing that.

Obviously William and his family, Edward and his family, Anne and Tim and then the working royals.

That sounds about right to me as well.

The Duke of Edinburgh is going to be on a horse this year*, as colonel of the London Guards (a reserve unit affiliated with the Guards, formerly the London Regiment). The Queen and the Princess of Wales will be in a carriage behind the other colonels instead of in the first procession, and from videos of rehearsals it seems they'll sit on a dais off to the King's left. The dais had three chairs on it at the Colonel's Review this weekend, so perhaps the Duke of Kent will join them, but the programme doesn't show him in their carriage. The videos I've seen from various rehearsals have only had two carriages before the King, instead of the three we've seen at the most recent parades. Edit: There was also a Rolls Royce following the carriages all the way onto the parade ground this weekend; I'd guess that will be the Duke of Kent.

I don't know where the Wales children will fit into this, if they'll be in the carriage with their mother or if they'll go in one of the others (presumably with Sophie if they did that).

*If you pause this video at 6:17, you can see who will be in the King's procession.

Last edited:
Hopefully the weather will behave for the King's First Trooping of the Colour as Monarch!

It's forecast to be hot and sunny, but thankfully not as hot as it was during the rehearsal.

Is there a separate thread for uniforms or can it be discussed in this thread? My question is that this year William is Colonel-in-Chief of the Welsh Guards, but I noticed that the uniform looks the same as his previous uniform when he was Colonel-in-Chief of the Irish Guards, so I wanted to know the difference? Then when I thought about it all of the uniforms are similar that are worn by Charles, William, Edward, etc., red jacket, dark trouser, bearskin hat when on horseback. However, Princess Anne's uniform tends to be different.

Is there a separate thread for uniforms or can it be discussed in this thread? My question is that this year William is Colonel-in-Chief of the Welsh Guards, but I noticed that the uniform looks the same as his previous uniform when he was Colonel-in-Chief of the Irish Guards, so I wanted to know the difference? Then when I thought about it all of the uniforms are similar that are worn by Charles, William, Edward, etc., red jacket, dark trouser, bearskin hat when on horseback. However, Princess Anne's uniform tends to be different.

You can read it here
https://changing-guard.com/foot-guards.html

In short, the most obvious ones are the plumes (colour), buttons spacing, and collars (eg shamrock for Irish Guard vs leek for Welsh Guard).

The Trooping The Colour Rehearsals i
n London ahead of Saturday's Parade

Why do the Guards wear the plumes on different sides?

Why do the Guards wear the plumes on different sides?

It is another way to know the regiments.

Remember that in earlier times e.g. the Napoleonic wars they wore these uniforms into battle and so in the smoke and noise of the battle it was easy to get separated.

Seeing someone with the plume on the same side as you as well as the colour that each unit had was a way of getting back to a soldier's own regiment.

I remember reading somewhere that the Palace has used the term "the royal family" not the "working royals" when discussing this year's Trooping. So, perhaps it will be a larger group? We shall see.

Will the King be on horseback or in a carriage?

I remember reading somewhere that the Palace has used the term "the royal family" not the "working royals" when discussing this year's Trooping. So, perhaps it will be a larger group? We shall see.

The royal family will attend - that means they will be at Horseguards to watch the ceremony as they were at the coronation.

That doesn't mean he will have them on the balcony though.

Optics is all important to Charles - the image of a smaller royal family so having a crowded balcony with extended family members will send the wrong message to the public.

Last year's Jubilee saw the extended family members attend the ceremony but not appear on the balcony and I suspect that it will be the same this year and going forward with the Edinburgh children dropping out when they finish their education.

For royal watchers it will be sad but the vast majority of the British public aren't royal watchers and only care about seeing The King and the Wales' and no one else matters.

The royal family will attend - that means they will be at Horseguards to watch the ceremony as they were at the coronation.

That doesn't mean he will have them on the balcony though.

Optics is all important to Charles - the image of a smaller royal family so having a crowded balcony with extended family members will send the wrong message to the public.

Last year's Jubilee saw the extended family members attend the ceremony but not appear on the balcony and I suspect that it will be the same this year and going forward with the Edinburgh children dropping out when they finish their education.

For royal watchers it will be sad but the vast majority of the British public aren't royal watchers and only care about seeing The King and the Wales' and no one else matters.

I think your right. It seems a bit pointless though for the rest of the family to get all dressed up in hats and all just to stand in a building at Horse Guards to look out of a window. It would be better if they erected seating for them outside so they could watch properly rather than competing for a look out of the windows.

HM will be on horseback, this has been confirmed by BP.

Do you think it's because he's riding astride? His mother stopped riding in Trooping at a much younger age, didn't she?

I agree we'll probably only see "working royals" on the balcony - along with the Wales' children. That doesn't preclude other members of the royal family attending watching from the Horseguards office window as they usually do.

My biggest question is what the other members of the RF will do after - at the Jubilee they watched from St James roof I think didn't they? I do hope Charles hosts lunch for them at least.

I agree we'll probably only see "working royals" on the balcony - along with the Wales' children. That doesn't preclude other members of the royal family attending watching from the Horseguards office window as they usually do.

My biggest question is what the other members of the RF will do after - at the Jubilee they watched from St James roof I think didn't they? I do hope Charles hosts lunch for them at least.

Yes I think at least some of them did. Why can't they have the whole family at Horse Guards and back to the Palace as usual for lunch and let them watch the flypast from the big palace windows. I don't know why that wasn't obvious at the Jubilee rather than having people standing on a roof for goodness sake.

They could indeed watch from the windows, there is even a balcony inside the forecourt or the garden terrace. I think it would be nice to have the whole family at lunch after it but I guess we never really know what goes on.

I suspect there will be a family lunch at BP, but we are unlikely to know much about it.

Do you think it's because he's riding astride? His mother stopped riding in Trooping at a much younger age, didn't she?

She was riding the last time in 1986, so she stopped at the age of 60. It was when her horse was retired if i remember right.

Yes I heard she stopped because Burmese, the horse she usually rode (a gift from the mounties if I remember correctly) retired and she felt it right to go by carriage from then on rather than get use to a new horse.

Yes I heard she stopped because Burmese, the horse she usually rode (a gift from the mounties if I remember correctly) retired and she felt it right to go by carriage from then on rather than get use to a new horse.
And to get a new horse used to someone riding side-saddle.

Extended flypast for Trooping the Colour after coronation washout (archive)

An extended military flypast will take place following the King’s first official birthday parade after the display for the coronation was scaled down because of bad weather.

About 70 aircraft from the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force will take part in a flypast for Trooping the Colour on Saturday. The King, Queen and other members of the royal family are expected to watch as the aircraft fly over The Mall and Buckingham Palace during the six-minute display.

The royal family youtube channel is starting the Trooping the Colour livestream now

The King and Queen have just been seen arriving at Buckingham Palace

The first carriage has left with The Duchess of Edinburgh and Viscount Tim Laurence.

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are behind them.

Behind them in a car is The Duke of Kent with his son The Earl of St Andrews.

Sovereigns Procession;

Mounted: The King, The Prince of Wales, The Princess Royal and The Duke of Edinburgh.

Followed in carriage by: The Queen and The Princess of Wales, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.

The Queen is wearing a uniform style outfit to reflect her new Colonel-Dom of The Grenadier Guards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom