Trooping the Colour 2: 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Queen is wearing a uniform !

Looks like the rumors about the Wessex's kids last carriage ride and balcony appearance been the coronation was correct.

This year the carriage followed the King and the other Colonels instead of them following the carriage.

Twitter reports there was a Colonels Dinner at Clarence House yesterday evening.

I note that The Queen, The Princess of Wales and I presume The Duke of Kent (and his son behind) are on the platform for the inspection. I guess this is a nod to including all the royals colonels mounted or not.

Twitter reports there was a Colonels Dinner at Clarence House yesterday evening.

I note that The Queen, The Princess of Wales and I presume The Duke of Kent (and his son behind) are on the platform for the inspection. I guess this is a nod to including all the royals colonels mounted or not.

I think its nice that all the royal colonels are "on parade". I guess this is also in part why Cams and Catherine are in the carriage behind the King so all the royal colonels arrive together (bar possibly Edward Kent due to age/mobility) and then they are all together to watch the parade.

Last edited:
So stunning to see the King on horseback!

I wish there was a way to watch it without the incessant yapping of the commentary. I can barely hear the band music and it's driving me bananas.

I find the balcony looks so empty with just Sophie, Tim and The Gloucesters on it to welcome the king back.

Is the rest of the family even here?

I used to so look forward to TTC, it was the highlight of the royal year for me, but it is just so boring now, I miss seeing all of the family together.

I gather the crowd is saying the same - is it just the Wales children now ? Where is Anne's children, the York girls ect. I think if you wanted an image of the difference between Charles family and the Queen's family - you now have it.

It is now only 3 people from the late Queen's generation; 6 from the King's generation; 2 from William's generation and 3 from George's generation.

14 now rather than the 30+ we had the last full balcony the late Queen had. They don't even need the full balcony anymore.

The King, The Queen, The Prince and Princess of Wales, The Wales Children, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Timothy Laurence, The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh. The Duke of Kent and The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are present on the balcony.

It really is a changing of the guard.

Last edited:
Magnificent flypast and great to see the brand new American F-35B in addition to historical aircraft.

Lovely to see The King riding his newest RCMP-horse ”Noble” today.

Followed by The Prince of Wales on ”Darby”, The Princess Royal on ”Sir John” and The Duke of Edinburgh on the King’s usual charger ”George”

I love Trooping the Colour because we get to see all the extended family members there. This year is so empty

Yes, it's relatively empty, but start of the new reign is the best time to "cut off" side branches.
Before Covid number of relatives on the balcony started to grow almost exponentially. It was over the top. They needed to do something.

I love Trooping the Colour because we get to see all the extended family members there. This year is so empty

Yep, it's pretty dull now, I really don't think the future of the Monarchy will hinge on one big family day in June being cut. I've always believed that if you like watching it then your now left disappointed and if your a republican then you are anyway, so having it so scaled back doesn't achieve anything other than to cause disinterest among those who were originally interested in the first place.

Last edited:
Frankly, it looks pretty dull on that balcony. OK ... you probably can eliminate the grandchildren of the Kents and Gloucesters. But eliminating the York girls and the Edinburgh children .. sorry, it has totally lost it's mojo. :(

I wonder if in time Charles might allow more onto the balcony once he has made his point about the working royal family being smaller. TBF its not helped with certain family dynamics atm and two close relatives not being able to / wanting to be on the balcony.

Someone made a good point that while BP is undergoing renovation work it actually might not be possible to have a huge family gathering in BP, for the coronation it was said that floorboards were being put down the days before the big day so the family could get out onto the balcony.

I think a middle ground would be quite nice, they could easily do a "working royals and Wales family" first appearance on the balcony then invite the wider family for the fly past IMO.

I found the balcony very dull this year, one of the charming things about Trooping the Colour is getting to see the wider members of the family up there together.

You could do without all the Kent and Gloucester children and grandchildren but just go with the Queen’s own descendants.

Someone made a good point that while BP is undergoing renovation work it actually might not be possible to have a huge family gathering in BP, for the coronation it was said that floorboards were being put down the days before the big day so the family could get out onto the balcony.

Are they still renovating the wing where the Balcony is?. Thought that was ready and they are now on the side wing as one can cleary see at the outside that there is scaffolding
And last year the have been able to hold a State Banquet there so at last in the State rooms a Family gathering could take place.

So good to see only ”working royals” on the balcony! The focus should be on those who do the heavy lifting, not distant relatives. That’s the way they do it in every other European monarchy.

It’s sad that Princess Alexandra apparently is too frail to attend this event. I wonder if the Coronation was her last hurrah.

Just saw a picture on Twitter of Lady Gabriella, Earl of St. Andrews and other Kent family watching the flypast from the balcony in the forecourt. Nice to know that Charles is still having a big family day behind the scenes.

So good to see only ”working royals” on the balcony! The focus should be on those who do the heavy lifting, not distant relatives. That’s the way they do it in every other European monarchy.

I totally agree! The balcony looked perfect to me and I don't want to see the extended family soaking up the limelight. It's a very important message to the British public that this is the core working family.

Back
Top Bottom