The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[.....]
AND what IS The Family supposed to say about the fiasco created by The Sussex's about the "car chase" ? No one was hurt, just the egos of the Sussex's bruised as they are mocked and laughed at here in The States.

They’d be wise to continue to say nothing, given how quickly the story regarding what actually happened seem to be evolving.

They’d be wise to continue to say nothing, given how quickly the story regarding what actually happened seem to be evolving.

I think that is right, there is little point in BP / KP commenting on the story, when it is unclear what really did or did not happen.

If there were any concerns about their wellbeing or them being hurt in amy way, I am sure private conversations between the family and Harry can take place. How long those conversations remain private is a different matter.

If it is a statement from a spokesperson, I consider it a statement from one or both Sussexes. And of course for a statement of this nature, you would expect them to be very involved in the crafting of the statement and signing off on what got released. Personally I think that this is all Harry, both the fakakta front end where according to a CNN article:

Thomas Buda, who runs a private security business contracted to help the couple, [...] said the couple’s convoy took a circuitous route from 23rd street to 96th street – up and down busy Manhattan arteries –
[...]
To answer the question of why this elaborate game of cat and mouse unfolded, we were told by Harry’s team that the couple were staying at a private residence and did not want to compromise the security of their friend’s home by returning directly from the awards. Meanwhile, a law enforcement source also said the pair did not stay at a hotel but rather at a private residence on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and chose to keep the location secret so they could come and go.
And then the backend part where, to my eyes, since the harrowing experience did not get reported on, The Sussexes, specifically Harry IMO, decided to issue a statement which then made the incident worldwide news. The following is a quote from a Daily Beast article, I am not posting it as news, rather because I agree with the sentiment being expressed and it is stated better than I could have.
A London-based PR executive who has worked for the royals told The Daily Beast: “If I had to guess, I would say this is Harry going, ‘This is unacceptable, I’m going to say something,’ and no one having the [courage] to say, ‘Well, maybe not, sir, that would be really [expletive deleted] stupid and it is going to totally overshadow everything your wife has been doing tonight, her big comeback.’ This is what happens when people do their own PR.”

P.S.
I did redact parts of the CNN article, the redacted parts were not relevant to my point but I don't want to appear like I am deliberately omitting information. Thomas Buda and and another security person Chris Sanchez made statements like, "never seen [or] experienced anything like this", "the public were in jeopardy at several points," "reckless driving from the vehicles that tailed [the Sussexes]". Having said that I think that a key contributor to the chaos comes from the cat and mouse scheme that the security firm / personnel enabled.

I remember when Diana died there was a lot of discussion that security protocols have people being guarded NOT wear seatbelts, in case they have to be moved quickly.

I have no idea if that's still the case, but I remember a lot of discussion about it at the time.

It was also said, at the time, that Diana and Dodi probably would have survived the crash had they been wearing seat belts. To have the parents and primary caregiver of two toddlers travel unsecured in their vehicle is totally irresponsible. Unfortunately, what was expected to be a glowing evening of recognition for Meghan will only be remembered for their fabricated car chase and histrionics.

A reminder that links posted on this thread need to be from a reliable source. Please check the first page of the thread.

I must confess, I have always been a fan of Prince Harry. For me he still is just the funnier of the brothers and I see him as independently minded - what can't be wrong!

BUT: Where does he think, he is now situated? This is America! Being a proud American and mocking Princes, is basically the root of their history there!

Plus: These are the modern times - There are filming smartphones and CCTV cameras everywhere! Everything can and will be checked! If not by the reluctant authorities, then by the internet swarm!

Where does he thinks, he lives? And what is he doing?

He is more or less soon a middle aged man and already a father and a husband. The "I lost mommy, when I was very young in a car accident" is a bit getting old... And it can't be brought up permanently and be the story of his life!:ermm:

If it is a statement from a spokesperson, I consider it a statement from one or both Sussexes. And of course for a statement of this nature, you would expect them to be very involved in the crafting of the statement and signing off on what got released. Personally I think that this is all Harry, both the fakakta front end where according to a CNN article:

And then the backend part where, to my eyes, since the harrowing experience did not get reported on, The Sussexes, specifically Harry IMO, decided to issue a statement which then made the incident worldwide news. The following is a quote from a Daily Beast article, I am not posting it as news, rather because I agree with the sentiment being expressed and it is stated better than I could have.

P.S.
I did redact parts of the CNN article, the redacted parts were not relevant to my point but I don't want to appear like I am deliberately omitting information. Thomas Buda and and another security person Chris Sanchez made statements like, "never seen [or] experienced anything like this", "the public were in jeopardy at several points," "reckless driving from the vehicles that tailed [the Sussexes]". Having said that I think that a key contributor to the chaos comes from the cat and mouse scheme that the security firm / personnel enabled.
Exactly! I am neither a security nor PR expert, but common sense says you go to a hotel after an event if you live out of town and KNOW paps will be there (and then perhaps go to your friends or maybe just stay where you can be better protected). You cannot court publicity and the media - Oprah, Netflix, ad nauseum, and then get mad when they follow you around! Another entitled example of having your cake and eating it too. Entitlement doesn’t go over well, AT ALL here in the US. As others have said there are many many celebrities in NY - the situation happened because of the ill thought out plan of “I want to stay at my friends’ house.” Teenagers, indeed!:whistling:

Why do famous people run from paps??! What's the point unless they are doing something illegal or embarrassing? Being photographed is one of the occupational hazards of fame, that's just life. Let them take their silly photos and be done with it.

Engaging them in a chase is always both stupid and dangerous imo

Why do famous people run from paps??! What's the point unless they are doing something illegal or embarrassing? Being photographed is one of the occupational hazards of fame, that's just life. Let them take their silly photos and be done with it.

Engaging them in a chase is always both stupid and dangerous imo

Harry and Meghan don't even consider that if no one tries to photograph them, that means that no one is interested. And I believe that it is very important to them that people are interested in them. They need to realize that you can't have it both ways.

They may get another "privacy tour" on South Park, by popular demand.
You heard it here first. ?

I just wonder about the purpose of this... dramatic narrative.

Meghan had just got an award. She was photographed looking suitably adoringly at Harry, and in a nice dress (Meghan that is, not Harry) and getting an award for in some way being a global role model for women. It was a great day for Meghan.
Now that's out the window. How many can off hand name the award Meghan got?

And being involved in a two hour high speed chase through the streets of New York is quite a novelty I understand.
I wonder though: Where was the police? Wouldn't the NYPD put an end to such perilous behavior?

Anyway, it merely adds to the speculations about Harry's (in particular) sense of proportions and abilities to access a situation. It sure hasn't raised his credibility in regards to what he has said about other people, not least his family.
If this was turned into a deadly pursuit almost, nearly ending with the death of H&M in a car crash, hounded to death by paparazzi - what else has Harry said that is slightly exaggerated?

Okay, I can understand it if Harry was having a serious panic attack, such things happens, not least to people who suffer from PTSD. But in this case I'd say that indicates that Harry is in serious need of therapy. In an institution.

So either this was
A) A catastrophic attempt of getting public sympathy.
B) A habitual delusional interpretation of events leading to a total exaggeration of what went on.
C) A psychological meltdown.
- I don't know which is worst.

Meghan had just got an award. She was photographed looking suitably adoringly at Harry, and in a nice dress (Meghan that is, not Harry) and getting an award for in some way being a global role model for women. It was a great day for Meghan.

And being involved in a two hour high speed chase through the streets of New York is quite a novelty I understand.
I wonder though: Where was the police? Wouldn't the NYPD put an end to such perilous behavior?

Anyway, it merely adds to the speculations about Harry's (in particular) sense of proportions and abilities to access a situation. It sure hasn't raised his credibility in regards to what he has said about other people, not least his family.
If this was turned into a deadly pursuit almost, nearly ending with the death of H&M in a car crash, hounded to death by paparazzi - what else has Harry said that is slightly exaggerated?

Okay, I can understand it if Harry was having a serious panic attack, such things happens, not least to people who suffer from PTSD. But in this case I'd say that indicates that Harry is in serious need of therapy. In an institution.

So either this was
B) A habitual delusional interpretation of events leading to a total exaggeration of what went on.

Honestly I cannot say which of the three options is the worst one. :ermm:

They were around. They assisted them. They (NYPD) said it was not that big a deal. The mayor said two officers were almost injured and sounded a bit annoyed.

I would say the current statement has the exact same tone of the original KP statement of their relationship, of urgency and other things. (That one, btw, was considered effective for their purposes, even if questioned by others.)

I would say that it's then fairly likely both Meghan and Harry had a hand in issuing this one, and I doubt it was Harry and his issues alone.

Last edited:

So either this was

D) something affecting his judgment
E) someone affecting his judgment

Whatever it is, not good :eek:

I've already seen a South Park-esque image of the two of them in a yellow cab BTW :lol:

Last edited:
Without googling, I couldn't tell you what the award was for, who was there apart from the Sussex's and "Glo" Steinem, nor whether anyone else received an award apart from Meghan. Not a great outcome for whomever arranged the awards, anyone else receiving one and nor, in my opinion, for Meghan either. As you said Muhler, apart from the pretty dress and adoring husband photos, everything else has been pretty much obliterated by the messy aftermath. Who know's though, perhaps Harry thinks it was helpful for his court cases? Time will tell, I suppose, as will the Sussex's in their next interview!

So either this was

All of the above?

They've done this sort of thing before but on several levels I find myself rolling my eyes and simultaneously say "get help, get effective help." Meghan looked nice, it could have been at least a salvageable evening if they didn't put out this press release *36* hours after the event.

And now I'm reading on Huff Post that Harry is allegedly explicitly talking about Diana so......

Are people here seriously saying paps are free to just stalk and chase after famous people and it's "the price of fame"? And it's all good? Several pages ago Marengo said no one was allowed to use this as a stick to beat the Sussexes with. So far that's all I've seen. I've seen people here say it's a set up to garner sympathy, or for attention, a psychological meltdown, a publicity stunt, etc. And based on what? A statement by the police that clearly does not say "it wasn't that big a deal", and a statement by a taxi driver that drove them around the block for 10 min but wasn't there for the rest of it. No one here is any evidence of this.

Several celebrities have warned against this type of behaviour from the paps. But hey, they're famous and wealthy so who cares. It comes with the territory.

I've said before the only articles that are posted here are the ones that are critical of the Sussexes. And reliability seems to depend on the sources position in this. I for the life of me can't understand who sources never reliable before, are all of a sudden reliable when they are critical of H&M, whereas equal sources are not reliable when they don't fit the narrative.

Most of you are stuck in a bubble on this forum and with every article that's posted and every comment made, you make it worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
They definitely bring out the worse in each other. I'm sure his brother and sister-in-law feel they are well out of all their nonsense. William is on the path to being King; not sure which path Harry and his wife are on?

Are people here seriously saying paps are free to just stalk and chase after famous people and it's "the price of fame"? And it's all good?[…] I've seen people here say it's a set up to garner sympathy, or for attention, a psychological meltdown, a publicity stunt, etc. And based on what? A statement by the police that clearly does not say "it wasn't that big a deal", and a statement by a taxi driver that drove them around the block for 10 min but wasn't there for the rest of it. No one here is any evidence of this.

Several celebrities have warned against this type of behaviour from the paps. But hey, they're famous and wealthy so who cares. It comes with the territory.

[…]

I doubt many here are saying paparazzi should be free to pester and hound celebs. Not to mention chase them through the streets endangering lives.

The premise of the debate in this thread is H&M's first version of events, which was that they were chased through the streets of New York, having to take evasive actions due to hazardous behavior by the photographers and as such they were in genuine fear of their lives.
Also, implying that the police in New York did nothing. Otherwise such a dangerous situation would and should have been stopped almost at once.

Over time it has emerged that perhaps the incident was not quite that dramatic. In fact it was hardly dramatic at all and it was not a long car-chase. And that only one, by the police, evasive action was needed.

So while H&M were inconvenienced their lives were hardly in danger. And that is a big scaling down from the first version.

And that's one of the things being debated here: Why was this presented as almost a second Diana-crash, only to end up being a tire-mark on 44th street.
And how does that compare with other, shall we say, narratives H&M have presented.

As for the paparazzi and privacy, that's a question of changing the law regarding privacy. It is a lot stricter in many other countries, and as such you don't see paparazzi there. But that's a political questions for the Americans.

Are people here seriously saying paps are free to just stalk and chase after famous people and it's "the price of fame"? And it's all good? Several pages ago Marengo said no one was allowed to use this as a stick to beat the Sussexes with. So far that's all I've seen. I've seen people here say it's a set up to garner sympathy, or for attention, a psychological meltdown, a publicity stunt, etc. And based on what? A statement by the police that clearly does not say "it wasn't that big a deal", and a statement by a taxi driver that drove them around the block for 10 min but wasn't there for the rest of it. No one here is any evidence of this.

I've said before the only articles that are posted here are the ones that are critical of the Sussexes. And reliability seems to depend on the sources position in this. I for the life of me can't understand who sources never reliable before, are all of a sudden reliable when they are critical of H&M, whereas equal sources are not reliable when they don't fit the narrative.

Most of you are stuck in a bubble on this forum and with every article that's posted and every comment made, you make it worse.

Nope, I've seen many people on social media such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Youtube and Reddit who thinks that this is merely a stunt so he could get Metropolitan Police protection, so it's definitely not just us.

Yes, but one could ask how many of those social media users are, in the same way, using and citing media articles that are almost invariably critical of the Sussexes and are certainly not unbiased, in order to back up their own points of view and agree with like-minded others. It then becomes like an echo chamber.

Yes, but one could ask how many of those social media users are, in the same way, using and citing media articles that are almost invariably critical of the Sussexes and are certainly not unbiased, in order to back up their own points of view and agree with like-minded others. It then becomes like an echo chamber.

Confirmation bias. The Sussexes are very polarised. It’s one or the other and neither is healthy. Although I am hearing a more balanced view of them emerge in the media. I guess as they are realising they are beginning to no longer sell. No reason to berate them.

I also think they are best left alone. I only hope they are happy and healthy and build a life for themselves that is stable.

This type of nonsense isn’t it. That was a nothing award show they didn’t need to go to and in which they could have booked into a hotel and if need be after sometime slip out the back in a car and head to friends house.

It is worrying when you see this and I hope they find peace.

Last edited:
I don't think it was a stunt at all but I do think that Harry can't be trusted to make all the decisions about his own security. He is easily triggered by flashbulbs and paps, which isn't his fault, and perhaps he makes impulsive and/or unwise decisions because of that. I doubt that his previous police security would have planned or permitted a zig-zagging route through NYC in order to lose the paps. I am sure they wouldn't have planned to leave a public event in the city centre (knowing they'd be followed by paps) to go to a private home not far away, that they wished to keep protected from the media. That's an almost impossible feat to pull off.

Previously, his police security would have made the decisions and he'd have to abide by them. Now, he makes the decisions and tells his security what to do. Given Harry's history, I think that's extremely unwise and potentially dangerous. I hope people like Beyonce and the Clooneys will offer advice on how to manage a celebrity life with private security outside of the BRF.

Confirmation bias. The Sussexes are very polarised. It’s one or the other and neither is healthy. Although I am hearing a more balanced view of them emerge in the media. I guess as they are realising they are beginning to no longer sell. No reason to berate them.

I also think they are best left alone. I only hope they are happy and healthy and build a life for themselves that is stable.

This type of nonsense isn’t it. That was a nothing award show they didn’t need to go to and in which they could have booked into a hotel and if need be after sometime slip out the back in a car and head to friends house.

It is worrying when you see this and I hope they find peace.

I keep coming back to this: is this what Harry wanted when he left the UK? I don't think so. MM is another matter; she loves the fame and appears to thrive on it. She can handle it, but I don't think he can. If his PTSD is triggered by stuff like this, avoid it. Don't take the risk. Whether it's fair or not that he has to make that choice doesn't come into it. I have to avoid scenarios that could trigger my PTSD or lead me into making unhealthy choices, and I accept that.

I'm inclined to agree with you; let them get on it and hope for the best. I hope Harry gets the help he really needs and finds peace.

All MOO

Lets be real, if you go to any pro-Sussex forum or website you'll see only pro-Sussex articles cited and criticism being leveled at the King and Queen and William and Catherine (and others who work for them). People tend to gravitate towards others who are like-minded. The only difference that I am seeing lately though, is that the support for this couple has faded dramatically and there are serious concerns being voiced for the healthy mindset of Prince Harry in particular.

I don't think it was a stunt at all but I do think that Harry can't be trusted to make all the decisions about his own security. He is easily triggered by flashbulbs and paps, which isn't his fault, and perhaps he makes impulsive and/or unwise decisions because of that. I doubt that his previous police security would have planned or permitted a zig-zagging route through NYC in order to lose the paps. I am sure they wouldn't have planned to leave a public event in the city centre (knowing they'd be followed by paps) to go to a private home not far away, that they wished to keep protected from the media. That's an almost impossible feat to pull off.

Previously, his police security would have made the decisions and he'd have to abide by them. Now, he makes the decisions and tells his security what to do. Given Harry's history, I think that's extremely unwise and potentially dangerous. I hope people like Beyonce and the Clooneys will offer advice on how to manage a celebrity life with private security outside of the BRF.

It's a very good point!
Being the boss sure comes with challenges.

I suspect that to be a general problem for Harry.
He has after all lived a very sheltered life without having to care about a lot of practical problems that most other people have to deal with.

Any maintenance problems he had were fixed, he just had to point it out and it was fixed.
No hiring someone to do it, comparing prices or hiring and checking a caretaker to look after such details.
He never had a problem with housing, looking for a home, talking to the bank, checking buildings reports etc.
He could trust those who made investments for him, but now...?
Insurances. He never had to worry about that either.
So many countless little things in his life.

Now that he has "freedom" it also means that he basically overnight has had to deal with a multitude of problems he never cared about before. Making a lot of decisions he has never dealt with before. Checking up on a lot of things he has never thought about before. Having to learn about a lot of things he never knew about.
I think Harry must sometimes be pretty confused, even overwhelmed.
- That in contrast to William who is being trained to be the boss, the chief administrator of "The Firm" he is and has to deal with such issues.

I know, Harry has his wife and his mother-in-law, but they can't be experts in everything.
Normally you would also rely on trusted friends or other family members to help and advise you, but H&M are short of trusted friends and family.

And the sharks are circling...

Lets be real, if you go to any pro-Sussex forum or website you'll see only pro-Sussex articles cited and criticism being leveled at the King and Queen and William and Catherine (and others who work for them). People tend to gravitate towards others who are like-minded. The only difference that I am seeing lately though, is that the support for this couple has faded dramatically and there are serious concerns being voiced for the healthy mindset of Prince Harry in particular.
That´s true. Seen a lot of mockery and making laughing stocks out of this couple on several TV channels and social media the past few days (even more than before...). I wonder why would anyone, who consider themselves "private" persons, publish a statement about an occurence like this at all?! If I were them, I´d deal this with officials, the police and my lawyers only. Why "run" to the media only hours after an incident like this and making these dramatic claims (which, again, were not completely true) at all...?!

I think it’s highly unfair to call these forums an echo chamber and biased towards links against the Sussexes. It’s probably the most level-headed place on the internet to discuss them. Fans and former fans and never fans engage with each other civilly, and for the most part don’t use unsubstantiated stories to make a point (or they get quickly challenged by others).

I belong in the former fan category but wish them well, and hope they get the professional help they (Harry) need to cope with some obvious trauma. If the vibe in this forum seems unfavorable towards the couple, that has not always been the case at all. The depreciation of their brand has largely been due to their own actions, specifically, telling lies, half-truths about their experiences that are easily disproven, or by implying things and leaving people to jump to conclusions.

IMO it was always on the cards that Harry could not cope with any kind of photographers etc, watching him or snapping him. he SAID so, himself back before he and Meghan left, that the noise of cameras upset him. So how did he think he could go to award ceremonies and celeb parties and inevitably been snapped entering and leaving? If it is really true that he cant help himself getting upset at this sort of thing, he should lead a private life.

I think it’s highly unfair to call these forums an echo chamber and biased towards links against the Sussexes. It’s probably the most level-headed place on the internet to discuss them. Fans and former fans and never fans engage with each other civilly, and for the most part don’t use unsubstantiated stories to make a point (or they get quickly challenged by others).

I belong in the former fan category but wish them well, and hope they get the professional help they (Harry) need to cope with some obvious trauma. If the vibe in this forum seems unfavorable towards the couple, that has not always been the case at all. The depreciation of their brand has largely been due to their own actions, specifically, telling lies, half-truths about their experiences that are easily disproven, or by implying things and leaving people to jump to conclusions.

Well said, and that's the category I'm in, too.

Judging by some of the things I've read on other sites this place is comparatively kind to the Sussexes. Some of the comments I've read in pro-Sussex areas online, on the other hand, range from the spiteful and petty to the downright ridiculous including some very unpleasant conspiracy theory type stuff.

So I'm glad that the people who support the Sussexes that post here, do so rather than go to places like that. We may not agree with each other but here we do our best to be kind and respectful. Sometimes we make mistakes but that's human nature. I appreciate the moderating team here and their efforts. :flowers:

Last edited:
That´s true. Seen a lot of mockery and making laughing stocks out of this couple on several TV channels and social media the past few days (even more than before...). I wonder why would anyone, who consider themselves "private" persons, publish a statement about an occurence like this at all?! If I were them, I´d deal this with officials, the police and my lawyers only. Why "run" to the media only hours after an incident like this and making these dramatic claims (which, again, were not completely true) at all...?!

Exactly! Anyone who's been in Manhattan knows it's constant gridlock, so even mentioning a car-chase is subject to doubt. (I just saw a cartoon which shows their car crawling along surrounded by others, with the caption Stop chasing us! :lol:

I can't help thinking it's a ploy to get the security Harry wants paid for by someone else- if not the Home Office, then perhaps a cash influx from Charles? (Which might have something to do with the complaint that the RF hasn't contacted them about the incident?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom