The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I don't burn for this, but your post made me look into the wording of it all in some websites they link in the foundation page.

They are supporters of five groups in the role of chairpersons/guest panelists at events. This is followed by stating the charities financial achievements to wrap up the segment.

The one that got my attention in relation to this award mentioned on the news link was the Archewell Foundation Fund at the UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) Center for Critical Internet Inquiry. Basically, a donation to establish a project within UCLA that university staff will do the follow up. I can't find any publicly available financial information like the standard power point to dissect goals and steps to follow on specific deadlines.

So, I too am at a loss here on the article mentioning the Award when I can't pinpoint exactly if there's active participation from H&M on those five groups profiled on their website besides the (we) support this and that cause.
As I say, I'll probably burn for this, but I predict UCLA will hand out those thank-you doctorates in a future commencement graduation. But seriously, I'm baffled by the award on the link provided above, too. :ermm:

I agree with you. I honestly have tried to track their charitable reach. They made becoming global philanthropists such a core part of their new life that it felt worth paying attention to, but it’s never transparent what is happening.

No public financials are available for Archewell. The podcast hasn’t been particularly serious- I thought initially it might be less celebrity talk show and more academic exploration, but that didn’t prove out. Their private deals for profit and their philanthropy all seem to be under one umbrella, which is usually not a great way to operate.

I’m from New Orleans, and I saw the damage inflicted by Brad Pitt’s “Make It Right” campaign and that made me pretty permanently cynical about celebrity charity. So far, they seem to be following the path of lots of self-congratulation without much impact.

To me, awarding them for this speaks poorly of the organization awarding it.

However Meghan has split from Sunshine Sachs. And there is no reason to think that there is any notable previous link between the Sussexes and this award and organisation.

Harry and Meghan accepted the award in March, long before the split.

I agree with you. I honestly have tried to track their charitable reach. They made becoming global philanthropists such a core part of their new life that it felt worth paying attention to, but it’s never transparent what is happening.

No public financials are available for Archewell. The podcast hasn’t been particularly serious- I thought initially it might be less celebrity talk show and more academic exploration, but that didn’t prove out. Their private deals for profit and their philanthropy all seem to be under one umbrella, which is usually not a great way to operate.

I’m from New Orleans, and I saw the damage inflicted by Brad Pitt’s “Make It Right” campaign and that made me pretty permanently cynical about celebrity charity. So far, they seem to be following the path of lots of self-congratulation without much impact.

To me, awarding them for this speaks poorly of the organization awarding it.

It’s all very Barbie dolls playing at life. The only thing they have is Invictus and that essentially has been set up and run by the royal team. He plays polo for Sentable and they show up a lot and talk a good talk. They are extremely shallow to be honest in their ‘work’ and inauthentic really.

Invictus was Harry’s idea. He also spent a great deal of time in Africa giving time to wildlife conservation in a practical sense. Spoke passionately about it always and still does. Unauthentic? No.

. Sentebale was Harry’s baby as a teenager and he helped set it up and spent time in Lesotho. Harry worked with vets for years, Walking with the wounded etc. Also passionate about helping vets. Did you watch Harry’s interaction with the winners of WellChild, another charity he has worked for and holds dear for years? He’s certainly the reverse of inauthentic in that video.

Last edited:
Invictus was Harry’s idea. He also spent a great deal of time in Africa giving time to wildlife conservation in a practical sense. Spoke passionately about it always and still does. Unauthentic? No.

. Sentebale was Harry’s baby as a teenager and he helped set it up and spent time in Lesotho. Harry worked with vets for years, Walking with the wounded etc. Also passionate about helping vets. Did you watch Harry’s interaction with the winners of WellChild, another charity he has worked for and holds dear for years? He’s certainly the reverse of inauthentic in that video.

He used to do a lot sure but again guided by his palace team. He certainly speaks a good speech lately but he hasn’t actually done much let’s be honest. All of those things you mentioned are in the past and stage managed anyhow. A zoom call at Well child is hardly anything or real involvement. Last time he actually went he got emotional and made it about himself. They say a great deal at the moment but do little. Show don’t tell comes to mind. They like pictures and giving speeches. She makes a beautiful picture. Neither are very good at the speeches. And now they fired, or were fired by, Sunshine Sachs. I don’t believe whatever spin their is because it’s like all the other spin and we know those people run a mile.

Last edited:
Aren’t all royals ‘guided by their Palace teams’? I don’t know any around the world who labour at the coal face for years doing the hard yards using their own initiative to do things with no publicity whatsoever. Almost all in the BRF and other royal families are just the faces of their charities and causes while others do the hard work behind the scenes, unsung. Publicity for the cause concerned, including reading speeches written by others. That’s what they are primarily there for.

Last edited:
I'm not being funny but I think many others of the BRF have been better social advocates (in the ways that they are able) than they have. Think about all the work of TPT for example. The Sussexes may get there one day but they aren't their yet. Most of their "advocacy" is via press release and speeches as well as claiming to be victims of many injustices. I think they do want to do good but that is overshadowed by their complaints which have become their brand.

Since Sunshine Sachs is involved I do believe this award by the RFK Foundation was arranged for them - and they are certainly not the only celebrities do that by a long shot - not to mention it is scheduled for around the time the Waleses are in Boston at the JFK Library for Earthshot! Not a coincidence.

But according to a post upthread the Sussexes accepted the award in March. That’s months before the Earthshot dates for the reception in NY were firmed up.

And the Princes Trust did magnificent work and Charles worked hard on it (with the help of aides at BP and later CH.) However, I doubt that even he would claim that he did 90% of the work organising things behind the scenes, work that enabled the Trust to move ahead as it did.

But according to a post upthread the Sussexes accepted the award in March. That’s months before the Earthshot dates for the reception in NY were firmed up.

And the Princes Trust did magnificent work and Charles worked hard on it (with the help of aides at BP and later CH.) However, I doubt that even he would claim that he did 90% of the work organising things behind the scenes, work that enabled the Trust to move ahead as it did.

Course they do but he isn't one of them anymore. But even then he hasn't set up anything recently to help people.

And yes organisations like DOE awards, Princes Trust, Invictus have changed lives.

But Harry isn't a royal anymore and really can't operate the way they do.

Look at Bill Gates one of the biggest philantropists in the world. I doubt medical doctors have the depth of knowledge he has on world health concerns. He doesn't' just talk.

I’m sure that’s true. But Charles gives awards to others and recognizes their work, I don’t think he receives them.

Of course Charles doesn't do a lot of the day to day work organising things. No one with a foundation does. That's why they have staff (just as Harry and Meghan originally hired Catherine St Laurent to work for Archewell - she had previously worked with the Clinton Foundation among others). That wasn't the point I was making. Although I do happen to know from a family member who is a solicitor who works for the Prince's Trust that he was as involved as he could be given his other commitments and wasn't a figurehead.

Nor was I suggesting any of the BRF deserve an award for the work they do. Just that I personally believe that many members of the BRF have contributed more towards social advocacy in many areas than the Sussexes so far have since January 2020. Indeed Charles said in his accession speech that he saw just that as a huge part of the role of the PPOW. I would also put forward the discussion point that for example Sophie has demonstrated more of an ongoing commitment to and a more nuanced understand of women and girls issues than Meghan has for example. William and Kate certainly seem to demonstrate a better grip on mental health solutions and don't make it all about them.

I simply don't believe that the Waleses working with the JFK Library (which was known) and the Sussexes accepting and award from the RFK Foundation which uses SS is any kind of co-incidence. Especially as we know Meghan just so happened to be booked on Jimmy Kimmel in NYC the exactly same day that William was going to be in NYC with Earthshot.

The Sussexes CAN make a huge difference but I don't think collecting empty awards (3rd one in a year!) is actually doing anything. If they eventually announce an initiative that provides a proactive, positive solution or contribution to a particular problem say therapy pets and free therapy to disadvantaged children who need it, that would be wonderful.

Royals who represent the monarch cannot accept awards in any capacity.

. Sentebale was Harry’s baby as a teenager, and he helped set it up and spent time in Lesotho. Harry worked with vets for years, Walking with the wounded etc. Also passionate about helping vets. Did you watch Harry’s interaction with the winners of WellChild, another charity he has worked for and holds dear for years? He’s certainly the reverse of inauthentic in that video.

You touch an important point of reference there on his past charity work compared to present day Harry. What we see is the before Harry, like Diana, was bringing the spotlight toward other people like military veterans and survivors of wars and their families. He was not the front and center of the spotlight; he was moving the spotlight toward survivors coping on the consequences of war in their lives.

The today Harry, I'm afraid, tends to be associated with the politically correctness (PC) that these days seem to be enforced down our throats to the point of exhaustion. When I see the words 'inclusivity', 'empowerment' over and over in sites or used in speeches, my experience is this is a text made with check boxed PC culture items

In the charity pages I read off their website, the message is more in the lines toward H&M personal issues converted into non-profits to bring attention toward themselves at every turn and not to the problem. Case and point, the UCLA project is (this is my opinion from reading between the lines) a donation of an undisclosed* amount that seems to take the shape of an overtime project for two UCLA professors to write a study on how the media affects H&M.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope in a year they learn the ropes on how to present their message. And as a reminder, nonprofits in the USA are expected *transparency on financial records and the norm is placing them on the websites in the About page. It would help them if they worked with non-profit coaches to reshape everything from web content to speeches to be less about them and more about the causes. Or just ask Bill and Melinda Gates how it's done, a mega donation includes guidelines on everything associated with the project from payroll to deadlines to meet.

Hope I'm not too hard on this but at their site only found recycled PC culture words. And the name of the foundation seems to be a line away from the text implying it is associated with those five charities financial success that was already in progress.

Last edited:
"The today Harry, I'm afraid, tends to be associated with the politically correctness (PC) that these days seem to be enforced down our throats to the point of exhaustion. When I see the words 'inclusivity', 'empowerment' over and over in sites or used in speeches, my experience is this is a text made with check boxed PC culture items" My opinion, when I read these words, I stop reading the article. Enough "lessons" !

"The today Harry, I'm afraid, tends to be associated with the politically correctness (PC) that these days seem to be enforced down our throats to the point of exhaustion. When I see the words 'inclusivity', 'empowerment' over and over in sites or used in speeches, my experience is this is a text made with check boxed PC culture items" My opinion, when I read these words, I stop reading the article. Enough "lessons" !

I agree. It’s all PC and superfluous. No depth. Of course, it parrots Meghan’s vocabulary of grievances.

I think they have or rather Archewell has attempted to sell other items to the other streaming companies - it doesn't look like anyone is buying what they want to sell.
I hate to say it but I think Harry and Meghan have dug their own graves here. Netflix is a taskmaster - and essentially, they are going to win here. Even if the Sussex's didn't have the foresight to put contingency plans into their contract. I think Netflix knew exactly what they were doing - they knew they would capitalize on the Queen's death, the coronation, the book and the media frenzy of all of the above.
It should also be noted that Netflix owns the footage of everything - even if the current shows dont get made - Netflix can take the footage and made anything they want with it. At this point in time - I would be very worried about Netflix and Random House getting together - even worse with Sunshine Saches. And there is already lots of overlap there.
I really hope Harry got good lawyers.
Claire, you’ve made some excellent points! I’d not really thought about the ownership of the footage. Thanks!

I have a couple of theories on why they might be having a change of heart.

As long as Grannie was alive, Harry was protected to some extent, because she DID dearly love him and his family. Whatever strife they caused by their external projects, she wasn't willing to cut him off completely - hence, we got BP's infamous "recollections may vary" response to the Oprah interview. Harry and Meghan could get away with their vague, inflammatory accusations, accompanied with misleading shrugs, glances and other body language that very clearly implied "it's all Charles, or Kate, or maybe Camilla, possibly William..."

Now that Grannie has passed, they don't have that insulation she provided as the head of the family. If they proceed down this path, there is zero chance they will be invited to anything ever again, including the coronation, and it's quite possible that Charles will do something like issue an LP taking away their children's titles.

Theory 1) Even if the relationships haven't been fully repaired or mended, they are smart enough to recognize that losing all access will devalue their brand and selling power. So, they need to pull back on everything that's been filmed and written and, somehow, pivot just enough to maintain access.

Or, Theory 2) Even if the relationships haven't been fully repaired or mended, they do feel differently about his family based on interactions and conversations that occurred during the time of mourning, and they truly want to have a healthy, loving relationship with Charles, William and the rest of Harry's family, so they're backtracking on everything that's been filmed or written but not yet published.
Both of your theories make a lot of sense. I just do not see how two adults could think they could say negative things about their family - before or after HMTQ died - and that there would not be repercussions. Seriously, I understand that they were hurt/upset/angry, but it’s hard to fathom that they were so naive as to think they would be apologized to by the family and then everything would come up roses?

I was taught to never air your dirty laundry publicly; but dirty laundry is what sells so they can’t have it both ways. Perhaps the family can forgive, but they won’t forget - and I can’t see them ever trusting either Harry or Meghan again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Royals who represent the monarch cannot accept awards in any capacity.
On the contrary royals receive many awards. King Charles himself has been the recipient of numerous awards of course as POW for various endeavors.

The first award that actually came to mind is the famous German Bambi Awards. Off the top of my head Queens Silvia,Rania, Mathilde and CPss Mary of Denmark have all been received the award for doing the work that they're suppose to do as royals- supporting charities and philanthropic work.

Yes, and actually Harry himself has been the recipient of various awards while he was a working royal.

Ignoring awards from post 2020, this is from wiki Prince Harry page

Harry's charitable efforts have been recognised three times by the international community. In December 2010, the German charity Ein Herz für Kinder ("A Heart for Children") awarded him the Golden Heart Award, in recognition of his "charitable and humanitarian efforts".[451][452] On 7 May 2012, the Atlantic Council awarded him its Distinguished Humanitarian Leadership Award.[453] In August 2018, the Royal Canadian Legion granted him the 2018 Founders Award for his role in founding the Invictus Games.[454] In October 2018, he was presented with the RSA Badge in Gold, the organisation's highest honour, for his work with injured veterans.

My bad then, apologies. (I was only speaking about the British royals. But it seems that even that is not true. To note that Harry started representing the monarchy in 2015, if I am not mistaken.)

I'm a bit confused about the Sussex's planning and expectations. HMTQ was in her mid-nineties when H & M started signing contracts and planning projects that depend on their royal connection. It is bewildering that they have to switch gears and edit and postpone because HMTQ died. That had to have been a subject for discussion with Netflix et al when their corporate relationships were being formalized.

Perhaps the kerfuffle about editing and such is just to drive publicity?

My bad then, apologies. (I was only speaking about the British royals. But it seems that even that is not true. To note that Harry started representing the monarchy in 2015, if I am not mistaken.)

On the contrary. Again from Wiki, and note that Counsellor of State duties mentioned below does involve representing the monarch if required.

At the age of 21, Harry became a Counsellor of State and began his duties in that capacity. On 6 January 2009, the Queen granted Harry and William their own royal household. Previously, William and Harry's affairs had been handled by their father's office at Clarence House in central London. The new household released a statement announcing they had established their own office at nearby St James's Palace to look after their public, military and charitable activities.[178] In March 2012, Harry led an official visit to Belize as part of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.[179] He continued to the Bahamas and Jamaica, where the Prime Minister, Portia Simpson-Miller, was considering initiating a process of turning Jamaica into a republic.[180] He then visited Brazil to attend the GREAT Campaign.[181]

Last edited:

It was 2015, after he left the army, that Harry started to work 'full-time' for the monarchy but he had done a lot before that such as overseas visits for the Diamond Jubilee in 2012 and other visits.

He had a number of charities with which he was associated and he undertake engagements related to those.

Like his Uncle Andrew before him he worked full-time in the military and still undertook a number of official duties part-time.

Both of your theories make a lot of sense. I just do not see how two adults could think they could say negative things about their family - before or after HMTQ died - and that there would not be repercussions. Seriously, I understand that they were hurt/upset/angry, but it’s hard to fathom that they were so naive as to think they would be apologized to by the family and then everything would come up roses?

I was taught to never air your dirty laundry publicly; but dirty laundry is what sells so they can’t have it both ways. Perhaps the family can forgive, but they won’t forget - and I can’t see them ever trusting either Harry or Meghan again.

Airing your dirty linen in public is bad enough. Lying to try to discredit other people is worse. Meghan told a pack of lies on the Oprah show about Archie's title, trying to make out that the Royal Family were racist. I don't think that the Royals will ever be able to trust her after that.

We obviously don't know what they've said in the Netflix documentaries, but the reports about wanting to take bits out are widespread.

I don't see how that will work. Moneys been spent and money needs to be made. The absolute worst ting that could happen from the Sussexes point of view, but maybe best from netflix for brand management, is if they just leave them their advance and cancel it all. Netflix aren't exactly fighting fit at the moment anyway.

Not sure.

But I believe it’s been discussed that Netflix could just shelve the Sussex project(s) and still do whatever they want with the footage they have. It just won’t be for what the Sussexes intended it for. Nor will they have any say in the use of the footage.

Not sure.

But I believe it’s been discussed that Netflix could just shelve the Sussex project(s) and still do whatever they want with the footage they have. It just won’t be for what the Sussexes intended it for. Nor will they have any say in the use of the footage.

Well money needs to be made. Ouch that would be such an embarrassment. I feel a bit sore for them.

As shared by TLLK:

Meghan Says She Felt 'Objectified' as Briefcase Girl on 'Deal or No Deal'

Meghan Markle said on her Archetypes podcast she was surrounded by "smart women" as a Deal or No Deal briefcase girl but "reduced" to "this specific archetype."

The Duchess of Sussex interviewed Paris Hilton for the latest episode—titled "Breaking Down the Bimbo"—of her Spotify show, which aired on Tuesday.

https://www.newsweek.com/meghan-mar...al-no-deal-spotify-podcast-archetypes-1752662

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom