The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As forwarded to us by TLLK:

Thank you for posting this Marengo.

I'm speculating that since the Sussexes were unable to attend the award ceremony in person due to the death of HLM Queen Elizabeth II, this was Prince Harry's opportunity to connect with the winners of the Well Child awards.

Yes Harry kept apologizing to them for not being able to meet them in person. This was a very sweet video. Amazing kids and family. Wish them all the best.

That was a fabulous video with Harry interacting with others and in good spirits. Great to see him!

I reflected at the time on he and Meghan being in England for this award ceremony and so being in the UK and on the spot for his grandmother’s death, the funeral and committal ceremony, rather than in California.

Harry missed the WellChild awards, to which he’s been devoted for many years as a consequence, but really tries to make up for that here.

Bear in mind that Netflix has shut down many new projects and on-going series due to the impact on losing viewers to this trend of 'plus' channels all over the place. This is not new, their downfall started when they lost the Marvel properties to Disney/Marvel (MCU) so any project like H&M's could suffer a setback with no notice.

No humor intended but maybe they should try taking it to another on-demand network, HULU? Prime? Oprah's OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network)?

As HM The Queen was in her nineties when these Hollywood contracts were drawn up and signed, the Duke of Sussex and his wife and their corporate partners had to be considering the possibility of Elizabeth II's death in negotiations. How could that not be a factor? The Sussex people act like it's a giant unexpected monkey wrench thrown into their charity endeavors. HMQ was 96.

It is astounding that the Sussexes are flummoxed by this and plans all have to be changed.

Who has said though that monkey wrenches have been thrown into plans for this docu-series and Harry’s autobiography and book? Has Netflix, the publishers of Harry’s book, the Sussexes themselves?

Not from what I’ve read. All I’ve read about this subject has been media speculation and gossip since the couple arrived back home from the Queen’s funeral. The links above are typical, magazines quoting anonymous sources described as ‘insiders’. I certainly wouldn’t take that as gospel at any time.

Who has said though that monkey wrenches have been thrown into plans for this docu-series and Harry’s autobiography and book? Has Netflix, the publishers of Harry’s book, the Sussexes themselves?

Not from what I’ve read. All I’ve read about this subject has been media speculation and gossip since the couple arrived back home from the Queen’s funeral. The links above are typical, magazines quoting anonymous sources described as ‘insiders’. I certainly wouldn’t take that as gospel at any time.

HMQ Elizabeth was 96 when she passed. Harry and his wife had to be taking her great age into consideration when signing Hollywood contracts. For those two to now pretend that Elizabeth's death is a giant shock and their show business contracts are at risk is hilarious. The contracts had to take HMQ's possible death into the negotiations.

I have a slightly different point. I do not know what is it that H&M felt they could put in the book or the TV shows whilst the Queen was alive and would hear or read about that they cannot now. My sense is that they seem to be finally realising that spewing bile against QE2, Charles and William is probably going to do them no favours, as he BRF are respected for the work they do.

I think they have or rather Archewell has attempted to sell other items to the other streaming companies - it doesn't look like anyone is buying what they want to sell.
I hate to say it but I think Harry and Meghan have dug their own graves here. Netflix is a taskmaster - and essentially, they are going to win here. Even if the Sussex's didn't have the foresight to put contingency plans into their contract. I think Netflix knew exactly what they were doing - they knew they would capitalize on the Queen's death, the coronation, the book and the media frenzy of all of the above.
It should also be noted that Netflix owns the footage of everything - even if the current shows dont get made - Netflix can take the footage and made anything they want with it. At this point in time - I would be very worried about Netflix and Random House getting together - even worse with Sunshine Saches. And there is already lots of overlap there.
I really hope Harry got good lawyers.

Neither Netflix or PHR are definitely not going to want to edit out inflammatory content. That's what's going to bring in the eyeballs. With the greatest respect to the Sussexes and Invictus etc far less people are going to watch a straight show about their love story, charity endeavours and faux royal tours than they are another Oprah. Especially when Netflix has seen them give the "bombshell" interview to Oprah *after* signing with them. People watched straight "fun hero Harry doing charity work" documentaries a few years ago (regardless of where Harry ever actually was that person or not or what he was going through BTS) but not so much anymore.

It has been speculated that since Netflix started talking with the Sussexes prior to them leaving that they thought they were going to get BTS "the Real Crown" type thing. Since that can't happen they're going to want juicy footage or Harry saying "the Crown is tame compared to what really happened....". Same with PHR, they didn't allegedly give him an enormous sum if he's not going to spill gossip and make lurid accusations against his family.

Assuming these reports are true of course. Because they knew they were potentially putting out incredibly inflammatory content whilst Harry's beloved Grannie was 96 and *after* they aired the Oprah interview whilst PP was on his death bed, thus making everyone's life even harder then. And if they went in on Charles and Camilla not realising that he would soon hold all the goods then they are very short sighted and it wouldn't matter if he was already King or became so in a couple of years time, he wasn't going to forget. And some of the "press releases" coming out during and after the funeral about how they felt hard done by doesn't seem to suggest wanting to reconcile.

I suspect it will boil down to what clauses they have in their contracts about final cut approval and if they will be able to provide extra content to plug the gaps left by taking out what I assume was rather a lot of airing of their discontent. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks for sharing those. There’s certainly a lot of speculation going on about both the book and the Netflix series. If they’ve said anything nasty, I hope they do take it out: there’s been more than enough unpleasantness as it is. But controversy is what sells.

I don't really get the reasoning in the speculation that H&M want to downplay criticism of the family following the Queen's passing. Wouldn't that be one less reason to hold back? That they don't have to worry about it being upsetting for her?

I don't really get the reasoning in the speculation that H&M want to downplay criticism of the family following the Queen's passing. Wouldn't that be one less reason to hold back? That they don't have to worry about it being upsetting for her?

I have a couple of theories on why they might be having a change of heart.

As long as Grannie was alive, Harry was protected to some extent, because she DID dearly love him and his family. Whatever strife they caused by their external projects, she wasn't willing to cut him off completely - hence, we got BP's infamous "recollections may vary" response to the Oprah interview. Harry and Meghan could get away with their vague, inflammatory accusations, accompanied with misleading shrugs, glances and other body language that very clearly implied "it's all Charles, or Kate, or maybe Camilla, possibly William..."

Now that Grannie has passed, they don't have that insulation she provided as the head of the family. If they proceed down this path, there is zero chance they will be invited to anything ever again, including the coronation, and it's quite possible that Charles will do something like issue an LP taking away their children's titles.

Theory 1) Even if the relationships haven't been fully repaired or mended, they are smart enough to recognize that losing all access will devalue their brand and selling power. So, they need to pull back on everything that's been filmed and written and, somehow, pivot just enough to maintain access.

Or, Theory 2) Even if the relationships haven't been fully repaired or mended, they do feel differently about his family based on interactions and conversations that occurred during the time of mourning, and they truly want to have a healthy, loving relationship with Charles, William and the rest of Harry's family, so they're backtracking on everything that's been filmed or written but not yet published.

It must have taken a lot for William to suggest the joint walkabout at Windsor, after all the hurt caused by Harry and Meghan's lies in the Oprah interview. And for Charles to say in his first speech as monarch that he still loved them, after Harry pretty much said that he'd been a bad father and caused emotional damage. It would be nice to think that they've accepted the olive branches and don't want to cause any more bad feeling. But it may well be as per your Theory 1, that they don't want to end up cut off completely. Or, as Muriel suggested, that they realise that spewing bile isn't going to get them anywhere.

Whichever way it is, I hope that we don't get a load more nastiness. It must be very distressing for Charles, in particular.

Well if this is true it’s just really shortsighted of them. Death is ever present but
in your 90’s - you have to be aware when relatives reach this age that life is counted in smaller bursts. But then if there is one thing we have learnt about them is that they are for the moment and don’t see long term. Short sighted really to put all your public affection for an institution on two extremely elderly members.

Let's hope that - if true - this is part of their attempt to heal the rift they created/widened by going all out in the media. Charles in particular has tried to include them in the mourning period as (non-working) members of the royal family and given them a quite prominent place as son (and his wife) of the monarch. While it will take a very long time for trust to return and I don't expect them to becoming working members of the family again, it would be wonderful if the last month has taught them that they might have been mistaken in their assessment of Harry's family.

As a son of the new King, Harry actually now has higher precedence in the Family than he had before as the late Queen's grandson. It is somewhat paradoxical then that he should feel more insecure now than when his grandmother was alive.

The only thing I got out these so called reports is the media creating more stories to fill papers. They clearly know nothing. These random stories been circling for well over a year now. Nothing has changed. Just endless speculation.

TLLK said:
The Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights announced yesterday that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have been named this year’s Ripple of Hope Award laureates in recognition of their work on racial justice, mental health, and other social impact initiatives through their Archewell Foundation.

Link here.

Link here.

I honestly don’t know what to make of this. I don’t see that they have done any meaningful philanthropic work since leaving the royal family.

I honestly don’t know what to make of this. I don’t see that they have done any meaningful philanthropic work since leaving the royal family.

The organization presenting the award is a Sunshine Sachs client. Make of that what you will.

The organization presenting the award is a Sunshine Sachs client. Make of that what you will.

However Meghan has split from Sunshine Sachs. And there is no reason to think that there is any notable previous link between the Sussexes and this award and organisation.

It does have kind of the air of being a reputation laundering type of award.

They seem to award one big name and deserving person who is very unlikely to show up to accept (in this case, President Zelensky) and then others who need the clout and headlines, such as leaders in financial institutions (which have suffered a lot of PR damage in the United States over the last 15 years)

It just seems a bit sordid

From what I've seen, they are on a path to be advocates to social issues, but it takes time to establish both brand and followership to it.

Without gravitating to the negative, my hopes for them are to stay focus on that goal to be front and center and less on themselves because, let's face it, the novelty already wore off for most of us.

For example, on focusing on the goals if I was any of them in a Quantum Leap moment, as a speaker my presentation would be from start to finish on the project and people affected by it. Let's hope they find their way to be successful in their charities and social agenda groups

However Meghan has split from Sunshine Sachs. And there is no reason to think that there is any notable previous link between the Sussexes and this award and organisation.

Perhaps it was lined up before the (recent) split.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: October 2022-

I don’t either. Hence why I think it’s at least notable that this organization is a Sunshine Sachs client. Even though the Sussexes have recently split with them.

Or: I could also note that this organization involves Kerry Kennedy (as President), who is a cousin of Maria Shriver, who is a longtime bestie with Oprah. Lots of connections.

Last edited:

I hope I don't burn for this, but your post made me look into the wording of it all in some websites they link in the foundation page.

They are supporters of five groups in the role of chairpersons/guest panelists at events. This is followed by stating the charities financial achievements to wrap up the segment.

The one that got my attention in relation to this award mentioned on the news link was the Archewell Foundation Fund at the UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) Center for Critical Internet Inquiry. Basically, a donation to establish a project within UCLA that university staff will do the follow up. I can't find any publicly available financial information like the standard power point to dissect goals and steps to follow on specific deadlines.

So, I too am at a loss here on the article mentioning the Award when I can't pinpoint exactly if there's active participation from H&M on those five groups profiled on their website besides the (we) support this and that cause.
As I say, I'll probably burn for this, but I predict UCLA will hand out those thank-you doctorates in a future commencement graduation. But seriously, I'm baffled by the award on the link provided above, too. :ermm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom