The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought then and think now: that was just way too much red. Red is a nice color on Meghan- but that was too much.

The picture of them looking out into the future was a bit much to me.

The colour is nice and I get what they're going for but they also look like they're at two different events again.

Fabulous color red on her, and really like the outfit as well, didn't notice that Harry was i the first pic until the 3rd look ;) but i think that is often the case with man outfits..

To me, this looked more like a magazine shoot than any kind of authentic interaction with the event they were attending. Sometimes less is more.

Lovely outfit. Lovely pictures.

To me, this looked more like a magazine shoot than any kind of authentic interaction with the event they were attending. Sometimes less is more.

I mean yeah, they're basically publicity/"royal event" shots. They remind me of their magazine photos for TIME this time last year with a dash of trying to be official royal shots. Pretty par for the course with them.

I hope for the WHOLE Sussex's Family sake that Harry and Megan think long and carefully on how they intend to proceed onwards with "public" relationships and comments regarding Charles, Camilla, William and Kate.

Its a new dawn in the UK. Elizabeth ll, Monarch and Matriarch, a beloved grandmother and moderating influence, it seems for the Sussex's, a defining link, is now sadly gone.
Hopefully a chance for *some* kind of reconciliation, in some form. No vitriol and victim cards.
OR at least a "cease fire" from Megan and Harry, no more voicing their public grievances and recriminations against The Family. A new beginning that can begin to take shape and be worked out.

And its not just about them anymore, its about two children also. Archie and Lilie.

Does Harry want them to have zero relationships with their Grandfather, Uncle and Cousins? No appreciation of their British heritage? Customs ? Traditions? Maybe Meghan isn't thrilled, but doesn't Harry get a say in reestablishing links ?
That's what I'm going to find most interesting..... How this shakes out over the next few months.

I hope they spend the next 3 months in silence about Charles, Camilla, William and Kate. No references to past happenings that were either misunderstood, misinterpreted or simply just not LIKED by The Sussex's.
Figure out options and new strategies. Everyone take some time to absorb the new regime-courtiers and realities of a new Reign.

I hope Harry and Megan can do that. Especially in light of the coming book and the supposed docu-series about their life, BOTH which will need revisions, as among other things, there was obviously no thought of Elizabeth passing away this past September.

If they dont, and continue on that path, I think they will be holding a greatly diminished and losing hand in this as time goes by.

Last edited:
A new podcast of “Archetypes” came out today and I thought I would post the transcript here for those who aren’t listening but may be curious about the content.

https://storage.googleapis.com/pr-newsroom-wp/1/2022/03/Archetypes-Episode-4.pdf

I found this episode, personally, to be a little disjointed in its structure and I thought the intro was jarring. In the U.S., it would normally be considered rather impolite to use cuisine and spa treatments as your lens to these cultures, and I wondered if maybe Meghan struggled a little bit to craft a relevant episode about something she doesn’t have personal experience with.

Please note: I did contact the Mod team before posting and with their guidance, chose to link to official transcripts of the podcast rather than to any existing opinion pieces. They were very responsive and helpful!

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: August 2021-

A new podcast of “Archetypes” came out today and I thought I would post the transcript here for those who aren’t listening but may be curious about the content.

https://storage.googleapis.com/pr-newsroom-wp/1/2022/03/Archetypes-Episode-4.pdf

I found this episode, personally, to be a little disjointed in its structure and I thought the intro was jarring. In the U.S., it would normally be considered rather impolite to use cuisine and spa treatments as your lens to these cultures, and I wondered if maybe Meghan struggled a little bit to craft a relevant episode about something she doesn’t have personal experience with.

Please note: I did contact the Mod team before posting and with their guidance, chose to link to official transcripts of the podcast rather than to any existing opinion pieces. They were very responsive and helpful!

My first thought with her intro was I basically could have given it. Aside from not being from LA (but another large US city). And I would hardly consider myself to be overly knowledgeable/have any real insight into the culture; so- that stood out to me too. She seemed to be reaching.

If I was going to generally sum up her podcasts- I’d say they’re not overly substantive.

Last edited:
My first thought with her intro was I basically could have given it. Aside from not being from LA (but another large US city). And I would hardly consider myself an expert on the culture; so- that stood out to me too. She seemed to be reaching.

If I was going to generally sum up her podcasts- I’d say they’re not overly substantive.

That’s how I feel too. I honestly thought it could have been a good idea in theory, but at that time, I thought there would be a lot more of the academic experts explaining historical background and a lot less of the personal anecdotes. And I assumed the guests being interviewed would get more speaking time than the host.

Everything is always kind of all over the place, with no strong narrative, despite a lot of professional support.

And the use of “archetype” to mean “stereotype” still makes me cringe.

That’s how I feel too. I honestly thought it could have been a good idea in theory, but at that time, I thought there would be a lot more of the academic experts explaining historical background and a lot less of the personal anecdotes. And I assumed the guests being interviewed would get more speaking time than the host.

Everything is always kind of all over the place, with no strong narrative, despite a lot of professional support.

And the use of “archetype” to mean “stereotype” still makes me cringe.

Agreed- in theory- I think it could have been interesting. Particularly since Meghan says this is a personal interest of hers.

I have to laugh a bit- yes- you’d think the guests would get to speak more than the host.

I don’t know how this title made it past all the professional help she has. (Actually- I can guess.) It’s stereotypes.

It seems tossed together. Not well planned or thought out.

It isn't very substantive as someone said. There is no real depth or even breath here. It's full of air really.

With the positioning of their arms and hands, the photo of C,C,W&K a couple of days ago tells me that these two women ‘have their men’s backs’, whereas this latest photo of H&M tells me that ‘Meghan has Harry’. JMO :)

I do like that colour on her; she’s a pretty woman, but I don’t like any of those 3 photos.

I know a common criticism of the Sussexes is that they somehow time their release of things to overshadow or respond to other members of the royal family. I’ve always found this absurd and baseless.

But it’s hard to see the release of these pictures as anything but exactly this. There is absolutely not another sensible reason for these mock official photos to be released than to clap back at the official photo of their family members, and the comparison isn’t pretty. (And no, thus is not a couple that just releases random posted photos of themselves, as if it’s a grand coincidence.)

Meghan and Harry are stunning individuals and a gorgeous couple. It’s a shame they have been altered to nearly unrecognizable in these photos.

Thank you for sharing the link to the transcript. It was interesting and good that they both shared their experiences growing up in the USA but watching TV often representing family ideals that didn't reflect the actual USA experience outside of a Hollywood studio.

Bear in mind, TV shows then and now represent either their times, like a time capsule, or the ideal family the producers want you to believe in. Both ladies state a truth about image vs reality. Absolutely everyone in the USA regardless of race, gender or culture is never represented as such on TV. Only as the image of good people learning a life lesson in a 30–60-minute time slot. It's good that Meghan and her guest are addressing stereotypes as fabrications as Meghan says on page 2 "...whose mysterious foreign allure is scripted as both tantalizing and deadly… this it has seeped into a lot of our entertainment."

Just that line reminded me in history the Roman Empire represented the Eastern kingdoms like Cleopatra's, the heirs of Alexander the Great, as such. In the Middle Ages we ended up with Charlemagne as good and Empress Irene of Byzantium as someone with those same foreign habits chastised by the Pope and company. And every century, kingdom or republic always misrepresents those with different values, choices of cultures. So good for the Duchess to point that in terms of TV life in general.

Now, and absolutely nothing but constructive criticism from someone who used to help fellow office workers on their resumes or speaking in public engagements. Between both ladies they used the "I" pronoun 197 times*. :eek: That part bothers me as I read the transcript, but it's just as a personal opinion when I see it on the monitor.

That aside, for a podcast start is nice and since this is her first foray into the world of being a host and interviewer, I'm sure she will only but improve in the future. Best wishes to her

*Hint: you mouseover a PDF, press the Ctrl key and the letter F (find) key and type capitol letter I.

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: August 2021-

I know a common criticism of the Sussexes is that they somehow time their release of things to overshadow or respond to other members of the royal family. I’ve always found this absurd and baseless.

But it’s hard to see the release of these pictures as anything but exactly this. There is absolutely not another sensible reason for these mock official photos to be released than to clap back at the official photo of their family members, and the comparison isn’t pretty. (And no, thus is not a couple that just releases random posted photos of themselves, as if it’s a grand coincidence.)

Meghan and Harry are stunning individuals and a gorgeous couple. It’s a shame they have been altered to nearly unrecognizable in these photos.

I’ve honestly had the same thought.

It would be so petty to do this, but I do not see a better reason for those photos release the day after the new official family photo. There was no reason for it.

Worth noting imo- they would have been at that reception and almost certainly in that photo had they made different decisions. And that reception seems right up the alley they want to be in. I’m sure they wanted to be there.

I’ve been trying to think about what annoys me so much about the photo of them looking in the distance. It’s a photo that needs more gravitas behind the individuals than they have now. I guess we’re supposed to take them seriously as forward thinking leaders in….something.

They’re not politicians, a king or future king, not great philanthropists or entrepreneurs, not really major players as it stands. Their post royal life is not notable at this time imo. I understand what they are probably going for. But they haven’t earned it, if you will. I think they want to be major players on the world stage. Maybe it’s a play at establishing some kind of American royal court. Complete with photos.

Last edited:
The pictures just signal to me this whole theme of us against the world. That’s all I see and it’s a recurring thing with them that they want to show.

I honestly believe, that if they had not left the RF, that they would have been in that photo of King Charles, the Consort and the Wales. Perhaps they feel that too...

I honestly believe, that if they had not left the RF, that they would have been in that photo of King Charles, the Consort and the Wales. Perhaps they feel that too...

Why would they have felt that? Practically every photo of the Queen with relatives in that last two years, even looking at cards from their great-Cambridge grandchildren with Philip, emphasised that the way forward was Charles, William, George.

George holding his father’s hand, standing on a footstool with Charles and the Queen.
George in tartan pants joining his father, grandfather and great-grandmother for a photo. George stirring Xmas puddings with father, grandfather and the Queen. No photos of the Sussex family on the Queen’s desk for her Xmas message.

Subtle and not so subtle reminders to them and everybody else that it was William and his heir that mattered to the RF, not the Sussexes.

They were shut out even earlier when the Cambridges, Charles and Camilla were looking at various Investiture relics with the Queen and the Sussexes were prevented from joining them by staffers.

I seriously doubt that the couple would have been in place with Charles and Consort and the Prince and Prss of Wales in this latest photo. I think Harry certainly knew that he and his family were of little importance to the RF in the long run and in the short term their shelf life would only last until George took over royal duties and engagements and he and his siblings would be centre-stage.

I believe Harry knew very well what the future held within the Firm for he and Meghan as the years passed. On the back burner in their fifties but still tied to Palace rules, precedence and regulations.

Last edited:
It is interesting because Harry and Meghan's pictures were taken BEFORE the the other pictures and likely would have been released before the others too. Why shouldn't they released images they always planned to release?

It is interesting because Harry and Meghan's pictures were taken BEFORE the the other pictures and likely would have been released before the others too. Why shouldn't they released images they always planned to release?

Why do official release photos at all? They could have published them on their website as part of a discussion of the engagement, but the One Young World summit had already been covered extensively by the media the day it happened and the day after.

Well they didn't even release them. Misan did (obviously with their permission) but it was his work that he wanted published. They probably planned to release various images of the week. But life delayed it.

They did the same with their other trips too. Also I don't see how these are "official" images. Look just like behind the scene shots.

Shall be interesting what they do going forward. They clearly had a big September planned that was obviously derailed. Some things likely could be rescheduled. Others not. And new events probably have presented themselves as well.

I also don't really see what the issue is. The media always going on about how unimportant Harry and Meghan are yet they pretty hyperfocused on every little thing they do... per usual. They are easy to ignore but they refuse to do it.

Last edited:
Had them not quit, I think they would have been in the pic of the new monarchy, just as Harry was on the balcony for the diamond jubilee. I think there’s the difference between Charles and the late queen: she was emphasising the succession line, Charles was underlining the slimmed down monarchy. The two are not exclusive.
For the prince of wales investure anniversary, I think they were not part of the show team: in itself the investure was an event that’s part of the succession line.

But I don’t think them releasing this set of photos is an answer to the monarchy photo, it’s just bad timing (again). They really could have had better advisors.

Last edited:
I don't understand -- better advisors to what? Harry and Meghan don't need to coordinate with the House of Windsor. They barely can do it within themselves anyways.

Harry and Meghan don't work for the crown. They don't take a cent from the tax payer. They can do whatever they want. If it clashes.... well it is what it is. It really shouldn't matter what they are doing anyways.

I don't understand -- better advisors to what? Harry and Meghan don't need to coordinate with the House of Windsor. They barely can do it within themselves anyways.

Harry and Meghan don't work for the crown. They don't take a cent from the tax payer. They can do whatever they want. If it clashes.... well it is what it is. It really shouldn't matter what they are doing anyways.

Of course they can do whatever they want. It’s just that it’s bad optics the way tgey are going forward. Not a question of in house coordination, but how it looks for H&M.
I don’t know how the royal family are communicating among them. They seem quite coordinated to me.

How is it any different? What bad optics? Truly honest question. We see all the different royals all out and about simultaneously. Today we had Charles with an audience and William and Kate out during engagements at the same time. Anne in NYC. Sophie in Africa. Of course the only one people paid any real attention to was Kate's which is expected.

And Meghan's podcast.

Harry and Meghan's image didn't "look" like anything to anyone new. Most overall media just enjoyed seeing a new glossy shot of them. The ones who like them liked it. The ones who don't -- didn't. That was going to happen regardless.

Last edited:
When they positioned themselves “us against them”, everything they do is interpreted in that key - whatever they do must be something against the RF.
Of course different members of the family will have public events simultaneously, but do these events clash? In my opinion they don’t. When it’s something important (Camilla’s speech against domestic violence comes to mind), they are able to put on hold any other publicity for something else.
I hope I’m not too confusing, my English is not that good.

Your English is just fine. I just don't see how these images clash. They weren't released on the same day. In fact, as pointed out, many others are doing things as well. People focus on Harry and Meghan unnecessarily.

Like with the new unconfirmed news of the coronation date. How long until the "will they, won't they?" nonsense kicks off? It is also Lili birthday the day after. Silliness all around. One has nothing to do with the other but watch it become a thing.

You know, I could go with the “don’t work for the crown and don’t take a cent from the tax payer” if they had a single stream of revenue that wasn’t directly trading on their titles and connection to the royal family.

To me, they come off as people who want gravitas, global celebrity, recognition as thought leaders- but without recognition of how their only pretense to that is based on who Harry is.

Without his family, he is someone who barely graduated secondary school and struggles with a lot of emotional problems. That’s not his fault. A lot of people don’t have a degree and also are battling demons. It’s just that most of those people also don’t expect to command an audience at the United Nations.

I was really prepared to see them try to launch something substantive and it’s all just been so shallow. I don’t think anyone would have begrudged them a private life that was quiet and out of the media glare, but it’s very hard to ignore how much they want that spotlight and how little they are doing to earn it.

When they positioned themselves “us against them”, everything they do is interpreted in that key - whatever they do must be something against the RF.
Of course different members of the family will have public events simultaneously, but do these events clash? In my opinion they don’t. When it’s something important (Camilla’s speech against domestic violence comes to mind), they are able to put on hold any other publicity for something else.
I hope I’m not too confusing, my English is not that good.

Your English is great. And also agree that sometimes I can't figure this couple out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom