The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love everything except the hat. It looks like those head pieces that nurses used to wear back in the day.

That's the first thing I thought too!
Also, I never like when the dress hangs longer than the coat; it ruins the appearance of the outfit.

I did like the hat but now with so many people saying it looks like a nurse's hat, I'm starting to see it. I still like it from the side.

Do you mean the dress or the coat? ;)

I think one of the issues is that Meghan has had to get a whole new wardrobe for when she married Henry. Some of her clothes were "transferable", but others certainly weren't so she's had to build up her wardrobe. Catherine had it easier, because she'd been around for a lot longer before her wedding and the style of clothes worn by the two individuals were very different because their pre wedding lifestyles were different. What I have had issue with is that wardrobe build up has unfortunately been very foreign heavy, the tide seems to be turning though (fingers crossed).

In terms of the pregnancy clothes, this is Meghans first so she doesn't have a back catalogue of pregnancy clothes to choose from. A lot of these pieces are regular outfits that have been converted into maternity wear, so there's a chance they can be un converted and worn when she's not pregnant.

I agree with you that Meghan's wardrobe build-up has leaned disproportionally towards foreign designers, and am also hoping that this may be changing. A little more balance would be a good thing.

So far as the pregnancy clothing goes, I think the problem arises when you have someone like Meghan who started showing very quickly, and has become visibly larger every time we see her. My guess is that this makes rewearing clothing almost impossible, so we end up with very expensive, designer clothing that she is unlikely to ever wear again, unless a subsequent pregnancy occurs during the same season, and with similar events scheduled.

Victoria Beckham has confirmed the coat was part of her AW19 collection as well. Apparently all of the items worn by Meghan will be available on the website this year, which surprises me.

> If I have a negative comment, it is why so many new clothes are being bought for so late in the pregnancy. Could one of the ensembles from today not have also been used for Charles' 50th celebration last week, or vice-versa?

To my eye, the dress she wore to Charles' 50th investiture celebration last week looked like an unaltered vintage piece, so it was probably pretty reasonably priced. None of the women in the family that day looked expensively dressed and I inferred from the photos that Meghan chose a piece that would commemorate the investiture's era without looking as frumpy as the outfits actually worn the day of the investiture itself.

Wouldn't it have been slightly insulting if a major piece or an entire outfit she wore to either event today had been recycled so recently as last week? Are Meghan's clothes paid for by monies that comes to Charles from properties he owns as the Duke of Cornwall? If so, why is there so much complaint about how he chooses to spend his money?

I agree with most people here about the hat. The hat is beautiful and Meghan is beautiful but that particular one doesn't quite suit. But you know what? It's just a hat. If I had to choose between Meghan spending time finding the perfect hat and Meghan reading The Economist, guess which I'd chose?

I also loved Meghan's Erdam outfit at first sight, even the beading. Love the collar in the rear, love the way it fits her, love the length, love the dress (I'm guessing whipped up specifically for her by a dressmaker).

I keep reminding myself that she's nobody's arm candy; she's a very intelligent, talented, strong, capable woman. And then she pops up in her outfit of the day and I'm thinking, "SHE'S SO PRETTY!!!!!"

Last edited:
green outfit is wonderdul one of her best maternity pieces Imo
second one could be big win if not the hat,the hat ruined it all

Yes, I agree that the Erdem outfit was lovely and the hat spoilt the afternoon attire. That said, she looks so well and happy at this stage in her pregnancy.

Last edited:
I prefer Meghan's green outfit she wore this morning as I'm not a fan of this afternoon's dress, though the outfit itself still manages to look lovely on her and I like the retro '60s feel.

The Duchess of Sussex in Erdem (Dress and coat) and Aquazzura Heels at Canada House on Commonwealth Day:

*Full View*

*Side View* *Side View 2*

*Detail Close Up*

*Dress View* *Dress View Front*

I love this green Erdem wool coat and the dress underneath too. It's a fabulous look on Meghan. Her hair seems like it's taken on a bit of frizz and getting puffy. She probably has cut back on the Brazilian blowout chemical straightening due to pregnancy, plus too many electric dryer blowouts as well because of how drying it is on the hair.

I wonder in general how much Meghan's hair regimen has changed since pregnancy and since moving to England. I'm sure the weather conditions are different than in Toronto. Plus, not working as an actress also changes the hair grooming regimen quite a bit.

The Duchess of Sussex has changed from her morning outfit, she's in white dress by Victoria Beckham and blue suede shoes for the Commonwealth Service.

*Full View*

*Close up*

Oh boy. I really think the Duchess could do without that hat. It's as if she's trying to purposely cover up her hair. But I think she could have found a much better hat to achieve that measure than this awful one. It just simply makes the outfit look like Meghan is a nurse, which has given Instagram parodist Gary Janetti a field day with his mean-George memes.

The white pillbox hat destroys this look completely. What was she thinking??? Otherwise, I think the coat and the dress look fine.

ETA: The hat by itself is not bad. I just do not think it works well with this particular outfit. The hat has a 60s [Jackie Kennedy/ Audrey Hepburn] vibe and might have worked with a different, shorter dress and coat, not the white coat. The hat together with the length of the white coat and the dress definitely scream nurse. Although in motion, perhaps overall it might look different. But first impression in photos is definitely, No.

If the pillbox hat and outfit had been in a different color, maybe it would have worked better, particularly if Meghan was trying for an elegant Jackie/ Audrey vibe, while pregnant. It's just mostly that the shape of the white hat with the long white coat makes her look like a nurse.

Here are Jackie pillbox looks:
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/8b/11/17/...ccd87af--jaqueline-kennedy-jackie-kennedy.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fb/00/9b/fb009b8061e29665da07fe6f70960b46.jpg
https://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/4008/1-1/first-lady-costume.jpg

White on white Jackie looks that don't scream 'nurse':
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/3c/7e/d9/...cqueline-kennedy-jackie-kennedy-style.jpg?b=t
http://www.pvhc.net/img194/xehkbhkyazuwsujcaird.jpg (This scarf-like looking hat is interesting)

Audrey in pale plum:
https://alisonkerr.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/charade-beige-coat-hat.jpeg
Audrey in pink:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a8/56/d8/a856d8ff10a90be321d9e94e97535439.png
Audrey in a fur cloche hat and orange coat:
https://classiq.me/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/IMG_1895.png

Audrey & Jackie in Oleg Cassini pillbox hats:
https://www.larisoltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Celebrity-Look-Audrey-Hepburn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pillboxes suit very few people, they usually look dated, and Meghan is one.

Barely recognize its a pillbox, looks like a nurse's hat :eek:

The dress is great. I love the pattern. Great choice for the event. :flowers:

Though she could have worn the Wakely coat, similar, I admit I quite like this one as well.

Besides the hat, two wonderful looks today. And I don't think anyone but the queen had a good hat day.

It's the height and vertical shape of the pillbox that doesn't work with the long white coat and white dress with small chain-link pattern print. Meghan would surely look good in pillbox hats that are shorter and rounder, like on Audrey and Jackie in the pics I linked in my previous post.

I do like the dress and white coat together, but not with that white pillbox hat. I have to look at Meghan in motion though in a video. She probably looks fine in-person and in-motion on video. In still pictures, No.

Plus, Meghan wore a white coat over a navy dress last year for Commonwealth service. I would have loved to see her choose a different color this year.

It seems somehow that Meghan is going very long on her dress for Commonwealth church service, after the very short dress (which I didn't mind) that she wore for the QCT panel discussion at King's College.

Last edited:
It's the height and vertical shape of the pillbox that doesn't work with the long white coat and white dress with small flower-pattern print. Meghan would surely look good in pillbox hats that are shorter and rounder, like on Audrey and Jackie in the pics I linked in my previous post.

I do like the dress and white coat together, but not with that white pillbox hat. I have to look at Meghan in motion though in a video. She probably looks fine in-person and in-motion on video. In still pictures, No.

Plus, Meghan wore a white coat over a navy dress last year for Commonwealth service. I would have loved to see her choose a different color this year.

It seems somehow that Meghan is going very long on her dress for Commonwealth church service, after the very short dress (which I didn't mind) that she wore for the QCT panel discussion at King's College.

Yes Jackie and Audrey were very Stylish in them. Pillboxes were in style back when they wore them.

Retro when done right looks great. Certain royals, like Mathilde, can do the pillbox retro look while still looking fresh. Not all retro pieces are meant to be taken out of the attick again (one hopes 80's fashion stays there). While Meghan has some of Audrey's influence in how she dresses, it is with a modern twist. Very few people can make a pillbox look fresh.

I would hope she'd wear a longer skirt. She was attending a church service. A lot different event.

I absolutely adored BOTH looks today. So refined. I think VB is a keeper for her. She seems to dress Meghan much better than Givenchy IMO. But, I have always been a fan of VB's designs.

I wish that she'd kept the green coat and dress from this morning to wear to the service. IMO the color was much more flattering to her skin tone.?

Two wonderful looks. Of course the hat was the wrong one for her, too high and stark, hard edged. She does,look to me as though she has dropped, as one does in the first pregnancy, which would confirm my estimate of first to second week of April

I liked everything about both outfits. You go girl!! I just wish she would recycle more.

Cute note on the divisive black embroidery on Meghan's green outfit this morning:

According to Erdem, the black floral embellishments are known as the “Doria beaded rose embroidery.”

(Say it with me, "Awwwwww.")

Awww, that's sweet. Is it a coincidence or a tribute?

... I would hope she'd wear a longer skirt. She was attending a church service. A lot different event.

Sure, the length is not that big a deal. But it didn't have to be that long. Anyway, I'm only noting the extreme contrast with the very short dress she wore a few days before.

After viewing a full video of the Commonwealth service (which was quite lovely), I must say that I dislike what Meghan is wearing, full stop. A close-up photo on one fashion website shows the textured style of the coat, which I don't think goes very well with the light green chain-link pattern on the white background dress, especially not for the church service. I'm confused about that choice of pattern altogether. And as others have noted, I too don't like that the dress is longer than the coat.

On one of the Meghan fashion blogs, someone commented that she might well have worn the green Erdem coat and dress to the Commonwealth service with a matching pillbox hat, or perhaps a black pillbox hat with matching green trim around the bottom edge; and she could have worn the white coat and dress to Canada House, without a hat. I totally agree.

The more I see of Meghan in that essentially all white outfit with that nurse-look hat, the more I dislike it. For me, it's a huge miss. The only thing I like are the shoes, but definitely not the clutch. If she was going to wear this outfit, it would have looked better had she chosen a coat in a solid green that matched the color of the light green chain-link pattern in the dress (and the length of the dress should be slightly shorter, with the coat covering all of the dress). And a pillbox hat matching the solid light green of a coat.

I agree with others who have said that at some point, Meghan should employ a stylist (aside from her occasional chats with Jessica), and a tailor.

I came across this gorgeous blue gown on Diana PoW which is quite similar to the Roland Mouret gown that Meghan wore to the Cirque du Soleil performance:

http://www.pvhc.net/img194/qpalgzlnzcznkjatllph.jpg
https://fashionista.com/.image/t_sh...zcwMDc2/meghan-markle-roland-mouret-dress.jpg

Wouldn't it have been slightly insulting if a major piece or an entire outfit she wore to either event today had been recycled so recently as last week? Are Meghan's clothes paid for by monies that comes to Charles from properties he owns as the Duke of Cornwall? If so, why is there so much complaint about how he chooses to spend his money?

You know why.
It's because the press prints the prices of every item she wears and makes it seem like she's squandering fortunes on her clothing!

(I came across a picture of that dress Meghan wore for her engagement.
It was captioned: My dress cost more than your house. I will wear it once.

It's clear how the public will react to that!)

I liked everything about both outfits. You go girl!! I just wish she would recycle more.

What from her other pregnancies would you like her to recycle at 8 months? Oh. Wait.

She can probably get into the black dress she wore for the British Fashion awards. But the smelling salts had to be passed around the last time, due to her scandalous black nail polish and shoulder showing.

She can wear the red coat she wore last month in Morocco. But she couldn't have worn that yesterday because Kate wore a red coat and something something copying something something.

She can wear the Dior dress she wore in Morocco, as well. But it's not a British designer and well...

The black skirt/white top she wore to that award gala in early February, too. But everyone haaaaaaated that.

There've been comments about how the jackets she repeated last week weren't fitting her properly in the arms anymore, because she's gotten bigger.

I just don't see what outfits she can recycle at 8 months pregnant that haven't been worn in the last month. But if I've missed an outfit, please let me know.

What from her other pregnancies would you like her to recycle at 8 months? Oh. Wait.

She can probably get into the black dress she wore for the British Fashion awards. But the smelling salts had to be passed around the last time, due to her scandalous black nail polish and shoulder showing.

She can wear the red coat she wore last month in Morocco. But she couldn't have worn that yesterday because Kate wore a red coat and something something copying something something.

She can wear the Dior dress she wore in Morocco, as well. But it's not a British designer and well...

The black skirt/white top she wore to that award gala in early February, too. But everyone haaaaaaated that.

There've been comments about how the jackets she repeated last week weren't fitting her properly in the arms anymore, because she's gotten bigger.

I just don't see what outfits she can recycle at 8 months pregnant that haven't been worn in the last month. But if I've missed an outfit, please let me know.

The issue now isn’t the lack of repeats (as we all understand she’s pregnant).. it’s the overly high pricing for items she is unlikely to ever wear again! If she were to spend a lot less for her pregnancy outfits- maybe even *gasp* wear actual maternity brands- (she reportedly spend over 12k! For her two outfits on commonwealth day) I think people may be a lot more forgiving.
The issue is... she already spend well over 500k on clothing in less than a year of marriage (majority not even British brands). The excuse that she’s new and building her wardrobe doesn’t fly as she did not have that many engagements to warrant such an extreme spending, she could have spend a whole lot less than that by shopping wisely and cautiously.

It's impossible to judge now how much wear she'll get from her maternity wardrobe until she's stopped having children & even after that she might have them re-shaped to wear again. The value-for-money thing can only be looked at over time (for all clothes not just maternity).

I'm also hoping that over time, the majority of her working wardrobe will be British & Commonwealth but to be fair, she hasn't even been married a year so there's plenty of time to get the balance right.

I'll just about bet my last dollar they will try for at least one more barring health issues.

I do think some of these looks we will see again even if not pregnant.

LaRae

:previous: I don't think you'd get many takers on that bet somehow.

Now, down to business, I loved the green ensemble, it was a surprise colour and I can't imagine why so many people don't wear it more often. However, I think Camilla certainly gave it a nudge last year.

Something really weird happened to Meghan in her white ensemble. The white chain print dress she wore, that I thought was very attractive and looked so nice with her green shoes and clutch, did not pass the actual "wear" test.

When she arrived at Westminster Abbey for the Commonwealth Service the ensemble looked elegant, however, between the time she arrived and left, the hem had dropped at least an inch and fluttered below the coat which totally ruined the entire "look".

Visually, I believe it looked so dowdy it made the much-maligned hat became a footnote. IMO the white hat was far too tall to be called a Pillbox, perhaps a Postbox would more accurately reflect the shape. However, the hem eclipsed the hat . . . it was so bad!

Last edited:
I loved the color she wore at the Canada House. The green was really lovely. I also like the coat and I don't mind the black decoration, it gives an interesting touch to the coat. However, I must say that I liked it better when she had her coat buttoned up. Because, I didn't like very much the dress, it looked like sleeveless dress.

At the Commonwealth Service, she looked really good. I actually thought she would wear black or navy, but I was happy to know that I was proven wrong. White/cream suits her a lot. Even though I don't care much about the chain's print in the dress, they add something to the dress, and color other than white (it was great that her shoes matched the color of the chains)...about the hat...I always loved those type of hats (Queen Mathilde and Queen Maxima have a few nice similar hats), but I think the size is too much. I agree with everyone who thought that it resembled a nurses' hat...but it was not hideous...it was just too much...

Meghan looked great at both the Commonwealth engagements. Loved the pillbox hat and the Commonwealth service! Very Jackie O

The issue now isn’t the lack of repeats (as we all understand she’s pregnant).. it’s the overly high pricing for items she is unlikely to ever wear again! If she were to spend a lot less for her pregnancy outfits- maybe even *gasp* wear actual maternity brands- (she reportedly spend over 12k! For her two outfits on commonwealth day) I think people may be a lot more forgiving.
The issue is... she already spend well over 500k on clothing in less than a year of marriage (majority not even British brands). The excuse that she’s new and building her wardrobe doesn’t fly as she did not have that many engagements to warrant such an extreme spending, she could have spend a whole lot less than that by shopping wisely and cautiously.

One issue being people exaggerate prices of outfits, inflating them well beyond. And add things that she has worn prior to marriage, the price of jewels loaned and so on to totals. Sadly people are so anxious to criticize, they cant look past obvious padding of totals.

One issue being people exaggerate prices of outfits, inflating them well beyond. And add things that she has worn prior to marriage, the price of jewels loaned and so on to totals. Sadly people are so anxious to criticize, they cant look past obvious padding of totals.

I do my own research and calculations, thank you very much.
As I pointed out before I also have friends at the fashion industry, who know a lot about couture and bespoke items as how an item will be priced. The estimates listed in the various online websites are a lot closer to reality than you can imagine. Meghan total so far is in fact over the 500k mark when you include the estimated price for bespoke items.

What loans? The royals are not allowed to loan items from private companies, as it can create a problematic situations..
The only loans they can do is from her majesty vault. And somehow I doubt many of Meghan’s jewelry are the kind you will find at the Queens vault.

She did not spent anything near that much to her clothes that day. At the first event she had shoes she has had seven times, bag for fourth time, also old jewels. Only new items were dress and coat. Erdem dresses are sold about 1500 £, coats 2500 €. That is about 4000 £.

To church she had dress 1908 $, coat 3085 $, shoes 490 $, hat 400 $ and bag 450 $, old jewels = $ 6333 = £ 4806. Total 8800 €. Also all but dresses can be worn later again even when not pregnant.

Also that 500K for clothes last year had for example over 250K jewels she got as wedding present.

I do my own research and calculations, thank you very much.
As I pointed out before I also have friends at the fashion industry, who know a lot about couture and bespoke items as how an item will be priced. The estimates listed in the various online websites are a lot closer to reality than you can imagine. Meghan total so far is in fact over the 500k mark when you include the estimated price for bespoke items.

What loans? The royals are not allowed to loan items from private companies, as it can create a problematic situations..
The only loans they can do is from her majesty vault. And somehow I doubt many of Meghan’s jewelry are the kind you will find at the Queens vault.

For example her very big diamond earrings at Ocean Tour, those she had with blue evening gown were told to be loans. Possibly from Camilla.

Also for example Diana did wear some very valuable jewels what were only loans from jewel companies. One example her Swan Lake Necklace. Also Sophie has had even small tiara as loan from somewhere.

IIRC Diana was buying the Swan Lake necklace, it was being made for her as a suite..then she was killed before it was paid for. IIRC it went back to the jeweler.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom