The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the color and the shape is very pretty. I'm less enthusiastic about the random spots of black ornamentation scattered around. If the black lace/embroidery(?) had been confined to the collar and chest I would like it a lot more, but the bits and bobs here and there look muddled to me.

The dress underneath looks lovely, though, and this is always a superb color on Meghan.

Her hair looks a bit messy in some of the photos.

Fantastic color but I agree regarding the black ornamentation. Otherwise a good choice for today's engagements at Canada House and possibly WA.

The color and style is wonderful :flowers: Not a fan of the black detailing.

Nice touch wearing a Canadian/British designer to Canada house today.

I love the color and the shape is very pretty. I'm less enthusiastic about the random spots of black ornamentation scattered around. If the black lace/embroidery(?) had been confined to the collar and chest I would like it a lot more, but the bits and bobs here and there look muddled to me.

The dress underneath looks lovely, though, and this is always a superb color on Meghan.

Her hair looks a bit messy in some of the photos.

Here's the original Erdem coat: https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...4139.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*

It seems for Meghan's they reduced the number of flowers and I think that's why they look a bit scattered. With the original, you can clearly see the floral motif theme. They probably spent the appliqué money on more fabric for the belly :lol:

I'd love to see more of the dress underneath.

Here's the original Erdem coat: https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...4139.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*

It seems for Meghan's they reduced the number of flowers and I think that's why they look a bit scattered. With the original, you can clearly see the floral motif theme. They probably spent the appliqué money on more fabric for the belly :lol:

As random as the black seems, I'd rather the random then the original. The original looks like some upholstery fabric. Like she would have borrowed maternity clothes from her mother's closet or something. Not a good look. I am glad it was minimalized.

Based on how voluminous the original was, I don't think much more fabric was needed!

I'm glad that the number of black sequin thingies (technical term ?) was reduced, but I wish there had been even fewer. Meghan definitely looks better in this coat than the model does, so whatever was done to customize it was a good thing.

The dress underneath looks lovely, I wonder if it has sleeves or is just a simple sheath?

I wanna know who helped her choose this suit and kiss them and marry them. Color? Check. British designer all around (bag? Minus shoes). Hack I like it so much I am willing to ignore the messy bun and the likely super expensive price tag. Though... tell me that’s not a strapless dress??. 3.5 out of 5. (Because that coat should have stayed closed, though that dress is less tight then some of the others she has worn.

After the IWD panel disaster (in more ways than just her outfit) this is nearly nirvana and shoes that when effort is put she can truly pull off the correct look).

Hey even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Not a fan of Erdem but this is actually nice..if the black was removed I'd love it. A very nice elegant look for Meghan..and what a great color!
(..)

I like the style...a slight swing feel to the coat. (..)

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
(..)

Meghan looks lovely today, she really suits that shade of green.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love everything except the hat. It looks like those head pieces that nurses used to wear back in the day.

I love everything except the hat. It looks like those head pieces that nurses used to wear back in the day.

True. I love pillbox but this one just like a nurse hat. Like the dress though.

It looks windy. Interesting print on the white dress. Chains and links. Some will be commenting on the symbolism I'm sure! But I like it and like the dress, coat and shoes. Especially the shoes. Not so sure about the hat. I'm not a fan of pill boxes.

Both outfits today look wonderful. I am a fan of green and the texture of the material together oath the colour is perfect for the chilly, windy weather we have been having recently.

Seeing the service live on the television, the white outfit and pill-box hat look crisp and elegant as does the Duchess.

I really like this cream print dress with the green shoe...that hat is okay...I like the rest.

LaRae

Stunning - one of my favourite outfits for her. I love the hat on her - very chic.

I like the shape of the dress, not a fan of the print, the coat is nice, and I love that it is a British designer for this event. I love a good pillbox, and I think Meghan would look wonderful in the right one: that is not this hat. It's too blocky and heavy looking for Meghan's delicate bone structure. And yes, those who pointed out the similarities to the old fashioned nurse's cap are right on the money.

Overall an okay look, but not a favorite. Bonus points for wearing a British designer for a Commonwealth event.

The hat looks like a nurses hat. I think if she didn't do the middle part and did a side part, the pill box hat would look better. Besides that, I LOVE everything about this outfit. The chain link breaks up all the cream/white. It's a great color for television as the white looks amazing among the decor and colours of WB. And I'm absolutely in love with her shoes.

I feel like Topsy on the second Wednesday- the world has turned turtle; two fantastic outfits in row that are in fact event appropriate!! (Though I think she still could have worn the green coat but I doubt think the green dress would have worked.. those two outfits together had to easily coat together nearly 10k!- given all of them are likely bespoke to some degree).

I think I actually like this second one better - I love prints so that’s a no brained, the hat looks like a cross between a old nurse hats and the kind of hats Jackie O used to wear.

That being said, the middle section seam of the dress should have been higher! Just a couple of inches, it looks awkward.
But if she’ll take off some extra fabric from this and rewear it in the future i’ll be okay with it- hopefully that is the plan for all her non maternity dresses! (Cause some of them are pretty expensive to be worn only once or twice!)

And it seems the entire set is British? (Probably besides the shoes and potentially the bag too).

Last edited:
The coat, dress and shoes are fine, but the hat is just horrible. And I agree, looks like a nurses hat.

I like both the green dress and coat and cream dress and coat.

I’m not sure the pillbox hat suits her. But- nice that she tried something new.

I liked both outfits today, they both suit her well. (I agree about the hat, it's too high for a pillbox and looks like a nurse's cap.) I do wish she had a different colour purse rather than black for the cream coloured outfit.

I loved the colour and texture of the green and the detailing. I also loved the VB, especially the pattern. I recently saw videos of it at London Fashion Week and it was one of my favourites in her new collection IIRC. Pity about the hat though.

Cute note on the divisive black embroidery on Meghan's green outfit this morning:

According to Erdem, the black floral embellishments are known as the “Doria beaded rose embroidery.”

(Say it with me, "Awwwwww.")

Top marks to Meghan for wearing British designers twice in a day.

Top marks to Meghan for wearing British designers twice in a day.

I believe Erdem is classed as Canadian, despite being based in the UK. :flowers:

This mornings outfit for me was divine, I adore the colour, the applique on the coat and dress were wonderful and her hair was not to severe.

This afternoon however is a disaster for me, the pillbox hat does not suit her at all and the outfit is boring. The dress has been modified so much that it would have been better to have something made that actually fitted. I don't like VB dresses, and they're not maternity wear.

She does however get huge props for a Canadian Designer to Canada House, and VB to todays Commonwealth Service.

I believe Erdem is classed as Canadian, despite being based in the UK. :flowers:

You are right, Erdem is Canadian, but the business was established in and based in London. I should have been clearer in the way I worded my post. ?

This mornings outfit for me was divine, I adore the colour, the applique on the coat and dress were wonderful and her hair was not to severe.

This afternoon however is a disaster for me, the pillbox hat does not suit her at all and the outfit is boring. The dress has been modified so much that it would have been better to have something made that actually fitted. I don't like VB dresses, and they're not maternity wear.

She does however get huge props for a Canadian Designer to Canada House, and VB to todays Commonwealth Service.

A few comments:

> The white dress and coat, IMO, were fine, neither here nor there. The coat could well have been replaced by the Catherine Walker coat she has worn a few times previously.

> The hat does not work, but I am willing to give her some leeway on this, as she is new to the business of wearing hats.

> If I have a negative comment, it is why so many new clothes are being bought for so late in the pregnancy. Could one of the ensembles from today not have also been used for Charles' 50th celebration last week, or vice-versa?

The coat could well have been replaced by the Catherine Walker coat she has worn a few times previously.

Do you mean the dress or the coat? ;)

> If I have a negative comment, it is why so many new clothes are being bought for so late in the pregnancy. Could one of the ensembles from today not have also been used for Charles' 50th celebration last week, or vice-versa?

I think one of the issues is that Meghan has had to get a whole new wardrobe for when she married Henry. Some of her clothes were "transferable", but others certainly weren't so she's had to build up her wardrobe. Catherine had it easier, because she'd been around for a lot longer before her wedding and the style of clothes worn by the two individuals were very different because their pre wedding lifestyles were different. What I have had issue with is that wardrobe build up has unfortunately been very foreign heavy, the tide seems to be turning though (fingers crossed).

In terms of the pregnancy clothes, this is Meghans first so she doesn't have a back catalogue of pregnancy clothes to choose from. A lot of these pieces are regular outfits that have been converted into maternity wear, so there's a chance they can be un converted and worn when she's not pregnant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom