The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A tad overdressed i would say ...

It's a pretty outfit , but not for this event. It would be more appropriate for an evening reception. As it is, she looks overdressed compared to the other royal ladies, and I am not liking the coat over the dress. At this point in her pregnancy, wearing a coat that is clearly intended to be worn closed at the waist, and that clearly no longer comes even close to closing does not look elegant, it looks thrown on.

The coat is meant to be worn open. Its meant to display the dress under, not hide it away, as the dress is part of the look. Its the same way she wore it when she wasn't pregnant.

The coat is beautiful and I am happy to see her repeat it. :flowers:

I like the palate and even the pattern of the dress, just not the material. :sad:

I don't agree shiny material is only for evenings. But I am never fond of it.

Any ID on the dress?

She looks lovely but the dress is more suited to an evening event.

My mother always says it’s better to be overdressed than underdressed for an occasion. Meghan looks fine. The dress fits and the coat works being open. I like it.

I don't like the stiff fabric of the dress, nor the shiny elements. It reminds me of a curtain, or an old fashioned wallpaper you'd find in an older house. Plus I don't see the sense of wearing a coat to an indoors reception.

I like the coat, elegant, but no so much the dress.

She looks lovely. It's great to see the coat, shoes and clutch again. I also love the dress. It's better to be a bit overdressed than underdress, and the coat takes it from "cocktail" attire to being appropriate for an afternoon gathering.

Wish we could get an ID on the dress to see it it's long or short sleeve. If it's long sleeve, then this would make an excellent cocktail dress, and I would so like to see it again. To me, best dress of the day after the Queen.

Lovely look. By far the best dressed of the royals today. I personally think that she embraced the occasion beautifully. Tad overdressed? Not IMO, some others were perhaps underdressed.

Love this look...that dress is beautiful! Maternity without being too tight or tent like.

Princess Anne looks wonderful too.

LaRae

The coat is great nice to see it again,the dress not that much.

I quite like the dress. I think it’s one of her best appearances

I've seen a post on Twitter comparing it to a Oleg Cassini dress on the runway..the style is totally different but the fabric is similar although not the same.

LaRae

Duchess Meghan looks radiant, beautiful and dressed just right, especially being pregnant at about 8 months. We don’t know for sure how far along she is. No matter what Meghan would have chosen to wear people would agree or disagree on the color, fabric, design, designer. People would like or dislike her accessories, hair and makeup. Meghan only needs to please her Prince and wear appropriate attire for the event as a member of the Royal Family. IMO she has done a fine job.

Lovely look. By far the best dressed of the royals today. I personally think that she embraced the occasion beautifully. Tad overdressed? Not IMO, some others were perhaps underdressed.

I agree with you. Meghan looks really good today. She did embrace the celebratory nature of the event rather than just looking like she's going to a business meeting.

I did have to do a double take and check what time of day the event was since I haven't been on TRF all day so missed the news, so agree that this outfit from Meghan is more suited for an evening reception. It's lovely otherwise but does seem somewhat formal for a daytime event even with other senior members of the RF and official figures such as the PM and Archbishop of Canterbury present.

Very beautiful ! I love the whole of the outfit, especially the brocade dress !

I agree with you. Meghan looks really good today. She did embrace the celebratory nature of the event rather than just looking like she's going to a business meeting.
I love the pairing of the dress and the coat as the juxtaposition between the smooth and the shiny brocade, the white of her coat with the almost autumnal soft colours in the dress, creating a striking impression of elegance with her suede shoes toning the shiny evening look to a more day look.

As per usual I would have liked one of her smooth chignons but on second thoughts I think that would land the ensemble right in the eveningwear zone as indeed (sadly) would bejewelled earrings.

I love the pairing of the dress and the coat as the juxtaposition between the smooth and the shiny brocade, the white of her coat with the almost autumnal soft colours in the dress, creating a striking impression of elegance with her suede shoes texturally toning the shiny evening look to a more day look.

As per usual I would have liked one of her smooth chignons but on second thoughts I think that would land the ensemble right in the eveningwear zone as indeed (sadly) would bejewelled earrings.

Lovely dress but yes a little overdressed, I am a brocade fan. An inch longer on the skirt and an inch off the heels would do wonders for her. She is learning, and the same height as Anne as I suspected, taking the heel heights into consideration.

Meghan looks good. Not the biggest fan of the dress but she looked pretty nonetheless.

Count me in the "better to be a little overdressed than underdressed" column. I like Meghan's dress. The pattern and texture of the brocade makes it interesting and the coat seems to soften it. I wish we would see more brocade. It would be a heck of a lot more interesting than the never ending parade of chiffon and lace that has been going on for what seems like forever.

Its a balance. The dress is not an evening look. Its what one would call a day to evening look. A dress that could be worn for either day or evening events. Its all in the styling. If she had gone to a cocktail party tonight dressed exactly like she was, she would be under dressed.

The coat was the perfect choice, it toned down the shine of the dress. Paired with the simple pumps, the hair and makeup, it was a perfect day look. The shine, though I don't like shiny, gives it a bit of jazz. If she was attending a working lunch or tour, it would be too much. But even day time, this is still a celebration event.

Lose the jacket, a different pair of shoes, an evening hairdo and makeup, the dress could indeed be worn at night. But not with this styling.

The Duchess of Sussex makes a surprise appearance at the WE Day UK event at the SSE Arena:

*Full View*

Meghan is wearing a Blue Smythe Blazer.

Last edited:
I think she's in the same black maternity jeans we saw recently in Morocco I think.

LaRae

Not much to say on this one. It's a casual look, and hopefully she's comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom