The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
Hair splitting analysis, :whistling: but it is a free world

Why thank you, I do think my personal analysis was very insightful.
What does that have anything to do with a “free world” is a bit lost on me.

Like @Rudolph said, amazing how we can have different of opinion in regards to anything Meghan without offending anyone. Like adding whistling emoji that can have a very offending connotation when used wrongly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fem
Again, I love the purple on her, it's a really great color for her hair and skin tone. That said, with a clearer view of the dress alone (without the coat) it does appear to be a bit too tight. The bust portion especially appears unintentionally tight. While I realize that things like that are hard to anticipate with pregnancy since we all change shapes and sizes at different rates, it really should have been bought one size up. I love the sleeves but as a whole it's definitely a bit on the too tight side.

I like her look today, her coat it is the same one she used on Christmas 2017 but different colour! Love the shoes and the handbag , though I m not sure the handbag match the outfit !
Surprise she did not match her lipstick with the red of the coat?! Just I am sure about no tights , it is cold, how she does it with no tights?
I like to see her with some strong colours!

I like the dress, although it is a bit tight, and I like the coat, but I don't like them together. I usually like combinations of strong colors, but the red and purple are overwhelming in this case. I would have liked this dress better with a black or navy or winter white coat.

But, hey, at least it's color.

She has this coat in 4 colors. Pre-engagement was seen in dark green and black...then the beige at Christmas and today the red.

LaRae

She has this coat in 4 colors. Pre-engagement was seen in dark green and black...then the beige at Christmas and today the red.

LaRae

She obviously likes the silhouette and the way it fits, so smart to have it in multiple colors. I think I would have preferred the black version with this dress. I'd love to see this red version over a winter white dress and those red shoes.

She obviously likes the silhouette and the way it fits, so smart to have it in multiple colors. I think I would have preferred the black version with this dress. I'd love to see this red version over a winter white dress and those red shoes.

The pic I saw of her in the black coat I didn't like it as much..it was a washed out looking black ..maybe charcoal-ish. Loved the dark green..hope we see that come out.

LaRae

I don't think we've seen a picture of the dress without the coat or have we?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw4s-lNWkAIIlEC.jpg

Thanks for the link. That's a great view of the styling of the purple dress, even though Meghan is sitting. It's a nice, long-sleeved style, which we don't see Meghan wear often.

Looking at the picture, I am even more struck by the fact that Meghan and Harry really seem for the most part, to be very stripped-down, informal and open in their approach to connecting with people. And that translates into their generally casual, and relaxed sartorial ambience as well. Very laid-back and non-stuffy. Of course, Harry has never seemed to have an interest in, nor to pay much attention to fashion and style anyway. Yet, it seems clear, he has taken some cues from Meghan in the cut and coordination of his wardrobe since they met.

I like the dress, although it is a bit tight, and I like the coat, but I don't like them together. I usually like combinations of strong colors, but the red and purple are overwhelming in this case. I would have liked this dress better with a black or navy or winter white coat.

But, hey, at least it's color.

A winter white coat over the purple would have been nice with perhaps a lighter shade of purple shoes and a red bag maybe. But, I really don't presume to choose for Meghan. She's so adept herself at what her preferences are.

I would not want to see black over a purple dress (too somber). Black over a red dress or vice versa, maybe. But seriously, I love the two pops of color that DoS Meghan has chosen for today's Birkenhead visit. I don't see the colors as being clashing nor overwhelming, but that's just how her outfit strikes me. It's a mix of casual dress-up/ dress-down, 'I'm pregnant and chill'. :heart2: ❤️

Last edited by a moderator:
Why thank you, I do think my personal analysis was very insightful.
What does that have anything to do with a “free world” is a bit lost on me.

Like @Rudolph said, amazing how we can have different of opinion in regards to anything Meghan without offending anyone. Like adding whistling emoji that can have a very offending connotation when used wrongly.

Like i said, It is a free world. You said your piece, I said mine emoji included end of story. I expect to still have the right to express my opinion about a subject or comment. Otherwise let the moderators let me know and if it is so, they can as well delete my account from these forums.

I think Meghan looked great today. I don't think the dress is tight while she's standing, but it gets tight a little bit when she's sitting. Love her shoes as always. But I'm not sure about her bag, looks out of place. Red looks great on her, and so does the purple. However, I would not choose red and purple together (I always thought these colors together don't make a very good combination), maybe the red coat with a beige/white dress, or viceversa, the purple dress with a white/beige coat and matching shoes. BUT she worn COLOR!!! I couldn't be happier!!!

LaRae

I think that one is a deep purple rather than black. I'd have to look it up when I have time, but I recall it wasn't black.

I get why Meghan wore those colors, but I do not like them together. I don't like the color of the shoes.

I agree!

She looks like one of the Red Hat Ladies! :lol:

Lol That was my first thought too!!

It’s not my favorite color combination, but I like the colors separately. Love the shoes. I hate to criticize since she’s wearing colors, but I never have liked red and purple together.

I think that one is a deep purple rather than black. I'd have to look it up when I have time, but I recall it wasn't black.

I've only seen the one pic of it this morning..it looks black to me..I didn't get any sense of purple.

LaRae

I've only seen the one pic of it this morning..it looks black to me..I didn't get any sense of purple.

LaRae

I think I figured it out. Both of us were talking about Sentaler coats in a different style. The black one has a hood, and the mulberry one I was talking about had different collar and length. The woman loves her statement coats. I got the coat from today in True Blue, can't deal with the red. :lol:

:previous:

Of which Meghan has already done an outstanding, exemplary job, almost without even lifting a finger. ;)

Anyone has only to recall the jobs and revenue Meghan has generated for a number of British design labels, clothes manufactrers and accessory brands, in addition to other businesses in Britain and in Commonwealth countries.

As has been reported, the British economy has received a notable boost in many ways since the engagement and marriage of the Sussexes, via the sale of wedding memorabilia, tourism, and increased positive interest in Great Britain, and in the British royals as a whole.
And just think of how many more UK jobs could have been created if she had largely worn British!

I think I figured it out. Both of us were talking about Sentaler coats in a different style. The black one has a hood, and the mulberry one I was talking about had different collar and length. The woman loves her statement coats. I got the coat from today in True Blue, can't deal with the red. :lol:

No judgment, seriously, but a genuine question...where on earth did you find that coat for a reasonable price? When I googled it just now it looks like it's $1400 from the designer's website. :huh:

No judgment, seriously, but a genuine question...where on earth did you find that coat for a reasonable price? When I googled it just now it looks like it's $1400 from the designer's website. :huh:

That's what I paid for it. It's an investment. The Canadian brands I've tried, Mackage and Sentaler, are GREAT at making coats that keeps you warm in the winter. I don't buy it every year and it certainly lasts a few years, so I don't mind paying for quality.

Neiman does have a few Sentaler coats on sale though. Just not that one. I don't believe I've ever seen that one on sale since it's one of their classics.

Last edited:
Meghan looks gorgeous in red and purple and the two colours aren't ones I'd think of pairing together naturally though they look fantastic together.

i think she looks great today,the color combo is very lovely idea something unexpected but works well Imo

That's what I paid for it. It's an investment. The Canadian brands I've tried, Mackage and Sentaler, are GREAT at making coats that keeps you warm in the winter. I don't buy it every year and it certainly lasts a few years, so I don't mind paying for quality.

I see. I suppose that makes sense that Canadian brands would be good at making very, very warm outerwear pieces and they definitely should last several years if well taken care of. I just have a really hard time wrapping my head around designer prices. Granted I was raised in a JCPenney is as fancy as it gets environment so to me it feels like a huge splurge to even buy shoes that are $100+. I'll probably never, ever own a single designer item just because I can't force myself to pay for it.:lol:

THIS should have been worn on Christmas Day...

That's precisely the first thought I had. However, as someone says, when she is with other royals, she tries to 'blend in'. I'm not sure is that is true or not, but this would have been a beautiful coat and shoes to wear on Christmas day. Not to sure on the dress though.

Her so called minimalist style had been reduced to the three colors she would choose, not the styles which were all over from ruffles and sequins and large silhouettes. Now we have the wild colors that her late mil did so well. So how about Meghan is finding her royal style? Her hair is unacceptable to me, an insult to the people she is visiting. Sorry, no “style” excuse on this one.

That's precisely the first thought I had. However, as someone says, when she is with other royals, she tries to 'blend in'. I'm not sure is that is true or not, but this would have been a beautiful coat and shoes to wear on Christmas day. Not to sure on the dress though.

Uh no, I don't think so. No color clashing with Duchess Kate allowed, eh! Ladies of the so-called 'Royal Fab Four' were putting up a brave front in public for church at Sandringham. The rest of the family were all wearing dark shades of navy, green, etc, (a few were in lighter blue, and maybe a soft purple in there, but mostly dark shades), while the Queen wore a soft light gray that almost looked white, with mint detail, as I recall.

Meghan was not going to wear anything that called attention to herself. It was Kate's prerogative to wear deep red and Meghan was not going to clash with Kate by wearing red too. :ermm: Can you imagine the tabloid headlines!? "Duchess Meghan tries to one-up Duchess Kate in bright red vs Kate's dark red!" Generally, the royal ladies appear to color-coordinate when they are altogether in public.

Beatrice wore a stylish navy coat dress (with thin beige trim and gold buttons) set off by a large fedora-style hat, knee-high black suede boots and black gloves. She looked really good, as did Eugenie in a red coat dress, with black trim. Autumn Phillips wore a gorgeous deep green coat. Countess Sophie was in light blue. Princess Anne also wore a shade of green. I thought members of the family all looked well-coordinated.

Duchess Meghan did not surprise with her go-to shade of dark navy, but she looked good without calling attention to herself. And that appears to be Meghan's aim. She has a strong, well-adjusted ego, and she's smart re knowing there's no need to flaunt her considerable assets. It will likely be the rare occasion when Meghan wears red when the family is together in a group, because in general, bright pops of color are reserved for the Queen.

For example, when the Queen is in a bright shade of green, orange, red or yellow, etc., the royal ladies tend to wear white, white and black prints, or gray or light blue, as we saw at 2018 Royal Ascot. And check out the family's color-coordination last April at the Royal Albert Hall tribute to the Queen (for HM's birthday celebration). The Queen always stands out, and the other ladies color-coordinate. At Eugenie's wedding in October, Kate again wore deep red and Meghan wore a brighter shade of her usual navy.

Last edited:
I have always liked the effect of combining red and purple. Agree it doesn’t always come off, but I think the Duchess nails it with this outfit.

I have always liked the effect of combining red and purple. Agree it doesn’t always come off, but I think the Duchess nails it with this outfit.
Yes, and I prefer her combination of shades to that of HM!

Back
Top Bottom