The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Her choice, her comfort. I think Meghan looks fine and the gown has wonderful movement seeing her walk in it. I would be concerned about the train dragging the wet pavement, but then she doesn't really have to worry about the care of her clothes and cleaning costs, etc. As long as she can walk in it with comfort and she feels good with the choices she selects, no one else has to like it.

But I do think its a nice style and design on her, and I like the pattern too. We see her and not necessarily the bump taking precedence, unless that's what we choose to focus on.

OK. I have a love/hate relationship with this. On the positive side, she looks happy, healthy and very beautiful. I love the peplum top in this design.

The negatives:
Don't like the bottom of the dress
Don't like the spaghetti halter strap

BTW: Pregnant women can run a variety of temperatures. One day you may be running hot and the next day, no matter how hot outside, you may be freezing. It's all up to her and her comfort level.

I'm also in the camp that I hope Safiyaa becomes a permanent fixture in her wardrobe. The style aesthetic is right up Meghan's ally.

I like the top, and I like it with the skirt, which is a pretty shape, but the train was a terrible choice on a cold and wet evening. That could not possibly have been comfortable to have puddled around her feet in a damp mass all evening.

I also hope that the appearance of this ensemble means that Safiyaa is going to be one of her go-to designers, because it really suits her. I like the Safiyaa aesthetic much better than anything I've seen her wear by Givenchy, except possibly the emerald green skirt and top she wore in Ireland.

Last edited:
I think the skirt/train makes the whole thing look elegant. That part should be worn again for sure.

LaRae

Here are more videos and still pictures of the RVP arrival with Meghan exiting the car and accepting flowers from someone in the crowd, which obviously was not planned. With more extensive views, it does seem that this gown is not the easiest to walk in, but again she's lovely and graceful and she seems comfortable walking in it.

Last edited:
I just can't like this outfit at all. I'm glad that it's not completely black again but it just looks so....uncomfortable. I realize that she's pregnant and it's harder to plan in advance what might fit and how but she looks a bit....stuffed...and uncomfortable. The skirt part is ugly and just doesn't look like it works with the sequins and that ribbon belt thing around the middle...just not the most flattering ensemble ever.

It looks like I'm one of the odd ones out though I'm not a huge fan of Meghan's dress tonight. I like the design on the top half though don't like how the bottom half is plain (I'd prefer a plain dress or a black dress just consisting of the white design).
Neither am I. I actually dislike the dress very much. I think the straps are ugly and unflattering and I don't think the looser top part is very becoming on her now that she is pregnant. Also she seems to have a hard time walking comfortably.

This is a hard pass.

I just can't like this outfit at all. I'm glad that it's not completely black again but it just looks so....uncomfortable. I realize that she's pregnant and it's harder to plan in advance what might fit and how but she looks a bit....stuffed...and uncomfortable. The skirt part is ugly and just doesn't look like it works with the sequins and that ribbon belt thing around the middle...just not the most flattering ensemble ever.

I actually thought this fits pretty well. Nothing is tugging and look like it's squeezing Baby Sussex like we saw on tour.

On a general note, I have no issues with the skirt or the train. It's the print and the strap that I'm not certain about. As for comfort level, I decided I'm going to just leave it up to her to what is comfortable temperature as she's a big girl and knows when she's cold or hot. I always thought pregnant women run hot, but I got confused with the trench coat in Australia when everyone else looked like they were sweating, but someone upthread said it changes? Yea, I'm not about to say a pregnant is dressing to hot or too cold. :lol:

As for practicality of a train in November in London. I'm not understanding why that's an issue at all. What is so practical about having a chauffeur car and security detail that makes sure you are never stuck in traffic on your way to an engagement? I mean really. Plus, she has access to dry cleaning and don't have to worry about the cost. And if we are to go down that road, all royal women should be questioned for their clothing at parts of the year for it. What's so practical about a dress and tights in the dead of winter?

Last edited:
Not a fan of the outfit but Meghan is glowing.

Well, she is pregnant, so she is larger than usual around her midsection. ? But that's why I think this design and pattern work well. I don't think the bump is as detectable except for close-up views and at certain angles, because the black and white print of the top half catches our eye. I find it flattering on Meghan. Not everyone can pull off this type of gown, but I think she does.

The bare shoulders with straps look (which we haven't seen much of on Meghan since marriage) is flattering on her because of her lovely posture, broad shoulders and long neck. I wouldn't personally pick a close-fitting column gown with a mermaid train, but it definitely looks very elegant on Meghan, IMO. She has the slim legs for this gown to work well. And I think she's very smart about what works for her body generally. There was that country wedding outfit miss, of course. But most of the time, she chooses pieces that look good on her, whether or not everyone likes the color, design, style or certain features of her outfits.

Last edited:
^^ :lol: There's no need to apologize for your impressions. We all see things differently. And Meghan doesn't know or care about how every individual feels about what she wears.

I know I'm going back in time here a bit but I've had a crazy busy few weeks and haven't been here at all so bear with me. I really do love this coat but the hat is a miss. And I normally don't comment on her makeup and hair because even though some posters consistently find fault with them, I tend to think they look just fine and mostly very appropriate. However, what is happening with her makeup in these photos? All I can think of is the red circles we see on stereotypical clown faces or baby dolls. I understand how makeup works, highlighting cheekbones, all of those various things that will inevitably be thrown at me for being critical of Meghan's makeup here but goodness gracious...she really does appear to have circles painted on her cheeks and it distracts from her overall look.

Last edited:
^^ :lol: There's no need to apologize for your impressions. We all see things differently. And Meghan doesn't know or care about how every individual feels about what she wears.

Yo, I don’t need to be schooled on my manners....

I am in two minds on this ensemble. When I first saw the top I thought "yikes that's really in your face". But then when she stood I saw I saw the plain black long column skirt and was very relieved.

The way the top fit was really lovely around the bust but I think that the reason they added spaghetti straps was for a little added insurance since the bustier type top obviously couldn't be "fitted".

I love the way the skirt moved and that Meghan looked so confident and comfortable. But, that was the very first time she hasn't even turned her head for the photographers and Harry looked grumpy.

It looks like I'm one of the odd ones out though I'm not a huge fan of Meghan's dress tonight. I like the design on the top half though don't like how the bottom half is plain (I'd prefer a plain dress or a black dress just consisting of the white design).

Neither am I. I actually dislike the dress very much. I think the straps are ugly and unflattering and I don't think the looser top part is very becoming on her now that she is pregnant. Also she seems to have a hard time walking comfortably.

This is a hard pass.

Agree with both of you. Black and white and boring, no classic about this ensemble for me. The spaghetti straps make it look very tacky, and I don’t understand bear shoulders in weather that feels like 2’C. There are so many better evening-wear options on the Safiyaa website. Such a shame.

Yeah, I am NOT liking this.

I think the top could have been a little shorter to fit just above her belly. Recognizing that this could have been purchased before the pregnancy or they didn't know how much she would show. I just think it could have been a bit better if the top was a bit shorter (almost like an empire). And I think she probably could have worn the dress with the shawl but I would imagine she arrived and went straight into the hall. Its not like she had to walk from her car to the hall like the rest of us ?

Last edited:
I am in two minds on this ensemble. When I first saw the top I thought "yikes that's really in your face". But then when she stood I saw I saw the plain black long column skirt and was very relieved.

The way the top fit was really lovely around the bust but I think that the reason they added spaghetti straps was for a little added insurance since the bustier type top obviously couldn't be "fitted".

I love the way the skirt moved and that Meghan looked so confident and comfortable. But, that was the very first time she hasn't even turned her head for the photographers and Harry looked grumpy.

If you take a close look at the videos, Meghan went out of her way to walk over to the crowd, accept flowers and gesture at a young child. Harry possibly may not have liked Meghan going near the crowd, as he was kept waiting by the car. But OTOH, maybe the only thing that would have bothered him is her safety.

There was a bit of awkwardness when Meghan was starting to advance up the steps as Harry reached out in front of her to shake the woman's hand. Still, we are examining them and their demeanor a bit too closely whenever they appear in public. We don't know anything about their interaction inside the vehicle or inside their homes.

Also, think about the fact that none of us are always feeling in the greatest of moods all the time. Doubly for them, re the fact their lives are so heavily scheduled and they have to be up for having cameras flashing in their faces every time they are out in public (although I don't think Meghan minds too much, because being in front of cameras was so much a part of her former career).

I would imagine that Harry loves whatever Meghan wears. They both appeared slightly tired at this evening RVP event. They've had a lot of outings over the past week. And Harry will be traveling to Zambia this weekend without Meghan. He may not be looking forward to heading off without Meghan, but she probably needs rest as her body continues to change.

Also, in some of the videos, the photogs are heard shouting Meghan's name loudly. To acknowledge them, Meghan waved slightly but she did not glance their way.

Last edited:
I like this one. I am slightly concerned about the length of the skirt with her in heels and pregnant. It seems it would be easy to catch her heel or the pointed toe of her shoe and fall. I can testify to how fast that can happen because I stepped on the leg of my trousers a couple of weeks ago and was on the floor before I knew what happened. I was only wearing socks at the time.

I agree about the top needing to be a little shorter to provide a more flattering and attractive look. I am not over keen on the large pattern or the shimmery effect of the top. So this is a rare fail for me.

This dress is a miss for me simply because its a top and skirt. I've just never been a fan of 2 piece formal wear. It just seems to lack something. I much rather would have liked to see Meghan in an actual gown. This ensemble, to me, looks more like something to wear to somewhere less formal.

I'd love to know more about Meghan's actual wardrobe decisionmaking and her advance planning and event scheduling attire selection process.

She looked lovely. She is pregnant, two piece ensembles work really nicely in that condition. And if she was warm enough, that was what was important. Also, many elegant gowns winter and summer have spaghetti straps.

Another blog poster said it looks like a skirted swimsuit and I think that nails it for me. Not the most flattering print and looks uncomfortable but it may not be.

I dislike this outfit so much. I wish she had just worn a dress instead.

However, I am happy that she is wearing a UK designer. I hope she will wear more of Safiyaa in the future.

Ugh for all those who wanted her to take fashion cues from Kate and feta British stylist you should be happy. This is so far from her normal style, a sad attempt at being more Royal or something.

Major let down. Was excited to see her rock tonight

The too looks my dusty five year old mothers bathing suit. Material awful and length is bad.

The skirt at least has some nice flow to it. Would be great with different top.

Showing her Canadian living side. Winter doesn't mean turtlenecks and thivk clothes, just good outer wear or quick scoot from car. My Christmas party at the hospital dress last year was a cocktail length sleeveless dress. Minus 30c.

Ugh for all those who wanted her to take fashion cues from Kate and feta British stylist you should be happy. This is so far from her normal style, a sad attempt at being more Royal or something.

Major let down. Was excited to see her rock tonight

The too looks my dusty five year old mothers bathing suit. Material awful and length is bad.

The skirt at least has some nice flow to it. Would be great with different top.

Showing her Canadian living side. Winter doesn't mean turtlenecks and thivk clothes, just good outer wear or quick scoot from car. My Christmas party at the hospital dress last year was a cocktail length sleeveless dress. Minus 30c.
Why does her questionable sartorial choice for last night have to be attributed to Kate or a British designer? Bad choices can be made irrespective of the designer. Remember the white and blue tent she wore to Harry 's cousins wedding? That was from Oscar de La Renta, if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom