The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this has been posted above in relation to her lack of wearing colour:

Meghan wore a Roland Mouret Strapless £2195 dress for the Royal Foundation dinner.
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XG4Os9Hm...0/harry+and+meghan+royal+foundation+dinne.jpg

It looks black, but actually on the model appears navy blue.
https://www.net-a-porter.com/gb/en/...=Mail+Online&dclid=CMHhhaX5294CFcEC0wodQzkC4Q
It is a very beautiful dress and definitely blue and not black. I think that applies to quite a few of Meghan's dresses.

I like the dress very much and the strapless look is rare for Meghan since her marriage. The metallic material's unusual as well.

I know this has been posted above in relation to her lack of wearing colour:

Meghan wore a Roland Mouret Strapless £2195 dress for the Royal Foundation dinner.
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XG4Os9Hm...0/harry+and+meghan+royal+foundation+dinne.jpg

It looks black, but actually on the model appears navy blue.
https://www.net-a-porter.com/gb/en/...=Mail+Online&dclid=CMHhhaX5294CFcEC0wodQzkC4Q

That is NOT the dress Meghan wore.
She wore this dress:
https://www.net-a-porter.com/gb/en/...=rewardStyle&dclid=CPm18dX_3t4CFYardwodkTQI5g
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-489BNOyx...oeOsiACLcBGAs/s1600/roland+mouret+aldrich.jpg

You can see the bottom part is different and the colour as well.

One more thing about the darker colors, it does make people take someone more seriously. Even if just on the subconscious level. There is a reason why it’s recommended to wear black or navy suit/outfit for an interview (unless you are in the creative market). I think Meghan is more than aware of the biases people have against her simply because she was an actress without ever considering her as a person. In fact, I would venture to say that as an actress, she would’ve experienced people not taking her seriously because she has a pretty face and what she does when she first took on some serious issues. I don’t think appearing more business like is a bad thing if you really want to take on serious issues.

I agree with the possibility of Meghan understanding the perceptions you describe, and definitely black can seem more business-like. However, I don't know re the above sentiment being completely Meghan's motivation sartorially, because even prior to meeting Harry, I think Meghan has always tended toward basic monochrome dressing with lots of black, navy and many other shades of blue, plum, burgundy, lots of white, and green occasionally (now she's seeming to wear a lot more green). Previously, she also wore pops of red, but not that often. She once wore a gorgeous blue and red tie-dye evening gown, and she's worn beige, cream, and even gold on one occasion. Plus that metallic silver mini dress by Misha Nonoo which I don't care for, but Meghan looked good in it.

Probably Meghan simply feels she looks best in basic colors, plus it's hard to go wrong with black and navy. I also wonder if there's any truth to her having some color blindness. I read that her father is color blind. While Meghan has had some ups-and-downs in merging her fashion preferences with her new highly public role as a royal, I think that Meghan has always been a savvy fashionista. She knows what looks good on her body, as she has discussed in many fashion clips that are still available on Youtube.

The video linked below is one of my favorites, as Meghan speaks of admiring Gwyneth Paltrow for "really dressing for her body." Meghan also provides these five essential wardrobe item tips: 1. pair of black cigarette pants; 2. cashmere sweater; 3. pencil skirt; 4. perfect pair of jeans; LBD or "just one sexy little dress that makes you feel really really good..." She forgot about listing her ubiquitous oversized well-made white shirt, wrap coats, white jacket; plaid blazer; nice shoes both flats and heels; minimalist jewelry; and gorgeous handbags and clutches. ? Wow, I'd love to hear Meghan talk about an essential pregnancy wardrobe.
I love the Meghan in the above video, as she was really beginning to shine and to come into her own as a woman and an entrepreneur in Toronto, with the success of Suits, starting the Tig website, and meeting many new friends, some of whom would impact her life in unique ways. There's such a freedom in the Meghan we see in this video, whereas she's now a bit more cautious and contained, while still attempting to retain her laid-back casual style and edge that makes her who she is. She expresses in the video how coming into contact with top designers on the set of Suits is what helped her style become more polished and sophisticated. How prophetic is it, when she was asked about her next career move she said, "What's next for me career-wise is exciting, because it could be anything. It kinda feels like the world is my oyster." Wow, from your lips to God's ears Duchess Meghan. :flowers:

The Duchesss of Sussex can generally carry off anything, except for the saggy, voluminous dress she wore to that country wedding this summer. And even then the blue and white flower print was pretty in its essential styling, especially the slit opening on the front side of the dress, which revealed her trim, fit legs. It was just way too much fabric and too baggy and unfitted in the arms, waist and bodice, with the sleeves hanging down below her wrists too. I still wonder about that choice! But maybe when Meghan ordered the dress, she thought it would be more fitted and it was too late to make a change at the last minute? It might work though now for her pregnancy, as her tummy continues to grow! :lol:

Last edited:
:previous: I wouldn't put so much into the rumor of her having some form of color blindness, that only came from the host of Deal or No Deal, and the entire thing seemed like a joke. He also said Meghan has a lazy eye, don't see that at all. Not to mention all the other things that he said there that aren't true. I haven't heard anything about Tom Markle, but color blindness is more common in men than women just like hair loss is even if the father has it. Like you said, she used to wear far more color. It's likely more of a preference to be lower key and understanding the situation she is in and the importance of nonverbal cues.

:previous: Right regarding the Deal or No Deal comedian/ host. I don't put a lot of credence into his comments. But when I later read that Meghan's father has color blindness, I began to wonder. I know that the condition is known to be more prevalent in males than in females.

I also read in a recent book about Meghan that she's ambidextrous, which has not been widely referenced either. If true, that's really a cool ability to be able to use both hands with equal skill.

Last edited:
:previous: I wouldn't put so much into the rumor of her having some form of color blindness, that only came from the host of Deal or No Deal, and the entire thing seemed like a joke. He also said Meghan has a lazy eye, don't see that at all. Not to mention all the other things that he said there that aren't true. I haven't heard anything about Tom Markle, but color blindness is more common in men than women just like hair loss is even if the father has it. Like you said, she used to wear far more color. It's likely more of a preference to be lower key and understanding the situation she is in and the importance of nonverbal cues.

I doubt MM has color deficiency. It’s extremely rare for women to have this, but if her father had color deficiency, he may have passed it along and she could be a carrier. That means her sons could potentially have it.

I think she just likes to keep her wardrobe simple.

:previous: Right regarding the Deal or No Deal comedian/ host. I don't put a lot of credence into his comments. But when I later read that Meghan's father has color blindness, I began to wonder. I know that the condition is known to be more prevalent in males than in females.

I also read in a recent book about Meghan that she's ambidextrous, which has not been widely referenced either. If true, that's really a cool ability to be able to use both hands with equal skill.

Even if her father has, the chances of a daughter getting it is still low. Besides, she's worn colors more often before. And I've never had any indication that she has color blindness.

As for being able to write with both hands, what book are you reading? It's not surprising for someone that's trained through practice. I had a teacher for calligraphy growing up (not the kind Meghan does, but Chinese brush writing) that only ever wrote with right hand until a motorcycle accident, and he broke his right arm and started practicing with his other hand. But that's getting off topic.

Last edited:
Even if her father has, the chances of a daughter getting it is still low. Besides, she's worn colors more often before. And I've never had any indication that she has color blindness.

As for being able to write with both hands, what book are you reading? It's not surprising for someone that's trained through practice. I had a teacher for calligraphy growing up (not the kind Meghan does, but Chinese brush writing) that only ever wrote with right hand until a motorcycle accident, and he broke his right arm and started practicing with his other hand. But that's getting off topic.

:previous: Yep, my previous posts mention the variety of colors Meghan has worn before, and her basic go-to color preferences. Again, I think Meghan's fashion tastes are obvious if you look at all the fashion-related videos Meghan has appeared in that are on Youtube. There are even videos of Meghan giving fashion advice on The Today Show, in her former life. The video I posted above gives interesting insight to what Meghan felt about her fashion evolution that occurred as a result of her tenure on Suits.

In fact, what has always been the most novel thing about Meghan dating Harry and marrying into the British royal family is that it's quite unusual to have all the information and interviews with her available in the public domain. This rarity is obviously because of her many accomplishments and her high profile acting career.

I will respond to your other comments unrelated to sartorial matters, in the general Sussex thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Thanks for the video link. Meghan moves so gracefully, and the gown is just amazing in motion. Then she bends down to the little girl's height to accept the flowers. I'd be afraid of tripping over the bottom of the gown which partly hugs the floor. I wonder how Meghan got clued into Safiyaa -- very beautiful pieces. How cool is it if she asked to have a bespoke gown made with that top!

The Duchess of Sussex this evening at the RVP in a black and white Safiyaa dress.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsYsAVhXQAYlRkI.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsYsAVnXQAAgl-h.jpg

Looks like this top with added straps, and a skirt instead of trousers: https://www.safiyaa.com/collections/all/products/malaya-strapless-top

Current temperature in London is 7'C.

Just looked at the Safiyaa website and they have some beautiful pieces, lots of colour.

That's a very pretty black and white gown. Meghan doesn't look pregnant, at least in these pictures. Probably at a different angle, her tummy would be more visible. ETA: In the video you posted, we can see her tummy better as she walks in and then squats down to accept the little girl's flowers.

Her previous Safiyaa gown (the Fijian blue gown in Fiji) was magnificent:
https://www.elle.com/culture/celebr...y-royal-tour-day-8-state-dinner-safiyaa-gown/

Yes, the Safiyaa website has lovely, colorful attire.

Last edited:
Ok I like this...it's got an elegant look/movement to it.

LaRae

LMAO, I just said on Twitter a few hours ago that I wouldn't mind another Safiyaa tonight. Although, as I was browsing through their website at that time, I was hoping it wouldn't be this print. :lol: Thank goodness it's not the version where it's all over with that print. :lol:

She's out in the cold for exactly 5 seconds. :lol:

I doubt they have heating in the palladium. Plus just because you're out in it for 5 seconds doesn't mean you're not cold for longer. It's currently 7'C, with the wind chill that feels like 2'C.

I just thought with it being November that she would be cold. But then, she has lived in Canada so maybe cold is relative to her.

She looks really good though.

Pregnant women can run hot ...and she seems to wear lighter clothing (as we've seen) even when cool..before she got pregnant.

LaRae

It looks like I'm one of the odd ones out though I'm not a huge fan of Meghan's dress tonight. I like the design on the top half though don't like how the bottom half is plain (I'd prefer a plain dress or a black dress just consisting of the white design).

A dress with train :eek: in November :eek: in London :eek:
It looks awful.

I was wondering- why 2 months ago she was wearing a warm coat during Eugenie's wedding and now in NOVEMBER she is bare shoulders and back....

I was wondering- why 2 months ago she was wearing a warm coat during Eugenie's wedding and now in NOVEMBER she is bare shoulders and back....

Because you don't wear a dress with bare shoulders and back to church. And she was trying conceal something. :lol:

Oh, and you dress for the occasion. There is that too.

I love the top to this outfit, very pretty, not sure about the bottom half. She moves very gracefully. I think the Palladium is heated, nevertheless I would have worn a wrap or jacket. However, I feel the cold!

I love the top to this outfit, very pretty, not sure about the bottom half. She moves very gracefully. I think the Palladium is heated, nevertheless I would have worn a wrap or jacket. However, I feel the cold!
I hope that the Palladium is heated. Bare shoulders and wet skirt are really bad combination in November.

I can't claim to be a fan of her dress today. Credit where it is due: at least she is wearing British!

No coat in November in London? But then again I don't like this outfit and a coat might have saved it.

Back
Top Bottom