Support for the Monarchy in the UK 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did the Earl and Countess of Wessex poll?

How did the Earl and Countess of Wessex poll?

I think they were not included in that particular poll, which is an indication of how discreet/low-profile they are to the general population, even though they are full-time working royals.

Yes, indeed. Unfortunately, they were not included.

Based on the YouGov-poll I made an overview taking into account both the asset and the liability-percentages.

You will find: asset 2012/asset 2020 & liability 2012/liability 2020 (change (incorporating both the change in asset and in liability)) [approval rating calculated by subtracting the liability percentage from the asset percentage]

Elizabeth: 86/81 & 3/7 (-9%) [74% approval]
William: 86/79 & 3/7 (-11%) [72% approval]
Catherine: 81/76 & 5/8 (-8%) [68% approval]
Anne: 54/56 & 10/9 (+3%) [47% approval]
Charles: 55/54 & 18/19 (-2%) [35% approval]
Philip: 58/42 & 20/29 (-27%) [13% approval]
Camilla: 24/31 & 32/24 (+15%) [7% approval]
Harry: 75/37 & 9/38 (-67%) [1% disapproval]
Meghan: /24 & /51 [27% disapproval]
Andrew: 20/4 & 44/80 (-52%) [76% disapproval]

Some observations: while Camilla is still not really loved by the people previously she changed most for the better (+15%); Anne was the other one in the family improving slightly (+3%). Both Harry and Andrew plummeted (Harry -67% and Andrew (-52%). Meghan is new in the list but has about twice as many people that see her as a liability than those seeing her as an asset. Harry, Meghan and Andrew are all seen as more of a liability than an asset (in Harry's case his asset and liability ratings are very similar but he ended up just in the disapproval range).

Nothing so superficial and whimsy as "popularity". Once Andy was THE star of the royal family. Once Fergie was the fresh breath of air into the stiff and stuffy royal family. Once girls screamed when they saw William, now a bald man trying to keep awake. Once Camilla was hissed and booed and now she meets well-willingness and good hearted atmosphere. With other words, stick a wet finger in the air and voilà, another "poll".

I'm afraid that's factually incorrect. As you specifically mentioned the YouGov-poll: In 2012 the royals that had the highest percentages of being an asset to the monarchy were:
1. The Queen & The Duke of Cambridge (86%) (3% liability)
3. The Duchess of Cambridge (81%) (5% liability)
Harry came after these three at 75% asset and 9% liability.

And about him being above numerous other royals in the current YouGov poll: He is only above his wife Meghan who also left and his uncle Andrew who was kicked out. Even the relatively unpopular Duchess of Cornwall passed him in the polls if we combine asset and liability percentages - see for example my post the appropriate topic.
I disagree that my information is factually incorrect.

We are referring to different yougov polls. The poll you are citing is a poll that was put out in 2012 and then again in 2020. There are other polls that are published more frequently. The yougov poll I am citing, in terms of overall popularity, Harry outranks Charles, Camilla, Anne, the Wessexes and other royals (link).

I will edit my comment that Harry consistently tops the yougov poll because of the different polls and when they publish new polls, they overwrite previous polls.

We are referring to different yougov polls. The poll you are citing is a poll that was put out in 2012 and then again in 2020. There are other polls that are published more frequently. The yougov poll I am citing, in terms of overall popularity, Harry outranks Charles, Camilla, Anne, the Wessexes and other royals (link).

I will edit my comment that Harry consistently tops the yougov poll because of the different polls and when they publish new polls, they overwrite previous polls.
Sorry waht year is that poll that youve linked?

Thanks, although 'tops the polls' to me would not suggest he was nr 4 but that he was nr 1 - and 'neck and neck' in popularity with the queen and William while he is 20% behind the queen and 11% behind William doesn't seem accurate either. Nonetheless, he might have been at some point - but I would like to see the various YouGov poll results that support that claim.

So, it is clear that in the so far mentioned polls, including the latest 'popularity poll' you linked, the Queen (74%) and William and Catherine (65%) are most popular and valued. In the past Harry sat in 4th place (followed closely by his aunt Anne, his father Charles and his grandfather Philip - all around 50% (+/-4%)). But indeed previously he was more popular than several of his lesser-known family members such as the earl and countess of Wessex and his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie (Andrew consistently sits at the bottom as I guess he has for several years now). However, recently Harry saw a huge drop in popularity as can be seen in the most recent YouGov poll (but not yet in the poll you quoted that isn't dated) :flowers:

Edit: it seems the popularity YouGov-poll includes data that are collected over a year, so especially when so much is happening that might change opinions on certain members of the family it might not fully be reflected - so it is not unlikely that Harry scored a bit higher previously and that this 54% he lands on now is partly due to previously being more popular and currently being relatively unpopular as we saw with the June poll data. So, it would all depend on when how many data points were collected over the last year.

Last edited:
Sorry waht year is that poll that youve linked?

Thanks, although 'tops the polls' to me would not suggest he was nr 4 but that he was nr 1 - and 'neck and neck' in popularity with the queen and William while he is 20% behind the queen and 11% behind William doesn't seem accurate either. Nonetheless, he might have been at some point - but I would like to see the various YouGov poll results that support that claim.

So, it is clear that in the so far mentioned polls, including the latest 'popularity poll' you linked, the Queen (74%) and William and Catherine (65%) are most popular and valued. In the past Harry sat in 4th place (followed closely by his aunt Anne, his father Charles and his grandfather Philip - all around 50% (+/-4%)). But indeed previously he was more popular than several of his lesser-known family members such as the earl and countess of Wessex and his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie (Andrew consistently sits at the bottom as I guess he has for several years now). However, recently Harry saw a huge drop in popularity as can be seen in the most recent YouGov poll (but not yet in the poll you quoted that isn't dated) :flowers:

Edit: it seems the popularity YouGov-poll includes data that are collected over a year, so especially when so much is happening that might change opinions on certain members of the family it might not fully be reflected - so it is not unlikely that Harry scored a bit higher previously and that this 54% he lands on now is partly due to previously being more popular and currently being relatively unpopular as we saw with the June poll data. So, it would all depend on when how many data points were collected over the last year.
What I stated was that in the not too distant past, Harry, William and The Queen were neck and neck to be the most popular royal but in recent polling Harry is no longer shares that neck and neck position for the top spot and that I doubt if he will ever reclaim that position but he is still above numerous other royals.

The overall context was a discussion around if Harry and Meghan had fallen out of favor to the degree that there would be opposition by the British public to them resuming royal duties.

Including data from 2019 & 2020.

The overall context was a discussion around if Harry and Meghan had fallen out of favor to the degree that there would be opposition by the British public to them resuming royal duties.
Currently, the group that sees him as a liability is slightly greater than the group that thinks he is an asset. And I don't think he is at the bottom yet...

For Meghan the situation is even worse with over half of those polled seeing her as a liability. So, unless things change drastically, I don't think it would be wise for the BRF to allow them to resume royal duties (if H&M would be interested that is).

:previous:

But as Queen Claude noted, the couple perform relatively well in the popularity polling even as their ratings are relatively low in the liability poll. A respondent viewing a royal as a liability to the monarchy does not automatically imply viewing them as unlikeable, especially as Britons are not undivided on the value of the monarchy. For some of those who would prefer the monarchy to give way to a republic, being a liability to the monarchy may very well be an added reason to like, not dislike, a royal.

:previous:

But as Queen Claude noted, the couple perform relatively well in the popularity polling even as their ratings are relatively low in the liability poll. A respondent viewing a royal as a liability to the monarchy does not automatically imply viewing them as unlikeable, especially as Britons are not undivided on the value of the monarchy. For some of those who would prefer the monarchy to give way to a republic, being a liability to the monarchy may very well be an added reason to like, not dislike, a royal.

Given that it's rolling data and about HALF of the data are from before their bomb shell announcement, I don't think that it tells us that much about their current popularity. And while technically these things are indeed different; based on the split up between different groups I see little reason why large numbers people would on the one hand have 'a positive opinion' of someone while also stating that same person is a 'liability' (more likely someone would consider that person an 'asset'); or on the other hand have a negative opinion but consider him/her an asset.

So comparing the numbers of July 2019-July 2020 with those of July 2020:
Harry:
1-year data: 54% positive opinion; 22% negative opinion; 23% neutral opinion
15-16 July data: 37% an asset; 38% a liability; 17% neither; 8% don't know

Meghan:
1-year data: 37% positive opinion; 35% negative opinion; 23% neutral opinion
15-16 July data: 24% an asset; 51% a liability; 17% neither; 8% don't know

So, I would say that especially Meghan also polls quite badly in the 1-year 'popularity' data with about as many people having a positive opinion of her as those having a negative opinion - and as can be seen from more recent data is has become worse. The only person that has a higher % of 'negative opinion' is Andrew... anyone else below her 9th spot (out of 15) seems less known and therefore has fewer people with an opinion (except again for Andrew)

There is a gigantic wrong-thinking in this thread. It compares apples to oranges. Someone's popularity is not congruent to support for the monarchy, the topic of this thread.

Support for the monarchy = do you prefer the current situation in which the head of state is determined by hereditary birthright?

Popularity = which royal do you like best?

In almost all monarchies the popularity of individual members is higher than the support for the institution itself, which only underlines how this thread (support for the monarchy) is hijacked by superficial polls about individuals.

For an example, in the Netherlands the royal couple themselves score fabulous approval ratings. But asked about support for the monarchy itself: it is declining, year after year. Decade after decade. Unstoppable. Despite the HUGE popularity of current individual royals.

Given that the 'popularity' is rolling data it might be helpful for future reference to present the current data of the 15 people in the list.

I'll not only present the 'positive opinions' (P) but also the negative opinions (N) and the neutral opinions (X) (the remaining percentages indicated 'I don't know' - as the person had never heard of said royal); the final number will be the approval rating [] based on positive minus negative opinion.

1. Queen Elizabeth: P: 74%; N: 9%; X: 16% [65% approval]
2. The Duke of Cambridge: P: 65%; N: 10%; X: 22% [55% approval]
3. The Duchess of Cambridge: P: 65%; N: 10%; X: 20% [55% approval]
4. The Duke of Sussex: P: 54%; N: 22%; X: 23% [32% approval]
5. The Princess Royal: P: 50%; N: 15%; X: 30% [35% approval]
6. The Prince of Wales: P: 47%; N: 23%; X: 29% [24% approval]
7. The Duke of Edinburgh: P: 46%; N: 25%; X: 26% [21% approval]
8. Mrs. Michael Tindall: P: 39%; N: 14%; X: 35% [25% approval]
9. The Duchess of Sussex: P: 37%; N: 35%; X: 23% [2% approval]
10. The Countess of Wessex: P: 31%; N: 11%; X: 33% [20% approval]
11. The Duchess of Cornwall: P: 30%; N: 31%; X: 33% [1% disapproval]
12. The Earl of Wessex: P: 26%; N: 26%; 37% [0% approval]
13. Princess Eugenie: P: 26%; N: 27%; X: 35% [1% disapproval
14. Princess Beatrice: P: 26%; N: 27%; X: 37% [1% disapproval]
15. The Duke of York: P: 12%; N: 61%; X: 21% [49% disapproval]

Notes:
* It seems the duke and duchess of Cambridge are lumped together; either respondents have a positive opinion (about 2/3rds) or they have a negative opinion (15%).
* It seems the York-sisters are just lumped together. Most likely respondents either indicated they liked both or disliked both. Their numbers are also very comparable to Edward's numbers: so, it could (at least partly) mostly reflect a general feel about the monarchy/lesser-known royals than specifically be about them.

So, if the approval rating would be used to determine popularity, the list would be slightly different:
person had never heard of said royal); the final number will be the approval rating [] based on positive minus negative opinion.

1. Queen Elizabeth: P: 74%; N: 9%; X: 16% [65% approval]
2. The Duke of Cambridge: P: 65%; N: 10%; X: 22% [55% approval]
2. The Duchess of Cambridge: P: 65%; N: 10%; X: 20% [55% approval]

4. The Princess Royal: P: 50%; N: 15%; X: 30% [35% approval]
5. The Duke of Sussex: P: 54%; N: 22%; X: 23% [32% approval]

6. Mrs. Michael Tindall: P: 39%; N: 14%; X: 35% [25% approval]
7. The Prince of Wales: P: 47%; N: 23%; X: 29% [24% approval]
8. The Duke of Edinburgh: P: 46%; N: 25%; X: 26% [21% approval]
9. The Countess of Wessex: P: 31%; N: 11%; X: 33% [20% approval]

10. The Duchess of Sussex: P: 37%; N: 35%; X: 23% [2% approval]
11. The Earl of Wessex: P: 26%; N: 26%; 37% [0% approval]
12. The Duchess of Cornwall: P: 30%; N: 31%; X: 33% [1% disapproval]
12. Princess Eugenie: P: 26%; N: 27%; X: 35% [1% disapproval
12. Princess Beatrice: P: 26%; N: 27%; X: 37% [1% disapproval]
15. The Duke of York: P: 12%; N: 61%; X: 21% [49% disapproval]

With Harry, Meghan and Camilla dropping one spot and Anne, Zara and Edward gaining one spot. As there are always error margins, I've tried to group the various royals with comparable numbers together by color.

Here is a YouGov poll from August 2019, in which Harry is second behind the Queen but ahead of both William and Kate.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...h-prince-harry-most-popular-royals-poll-2019/

Another one from YouGov from 2018, in which Harry just pips the Queen for top spot.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2018/11/prince-harry-most-popular-royal
Thanks, that's helpful!

So, in the 6-months after his marriage about 77% had a positive opinion of him; around the time of his son's birth it had dropped to 71%; and now it's at 54% (including data of a year ago - so it's unlikely his lowest number).

Unfortunately, they only report 'positive opinion'; as to me the 'negative opinion' completes the picture but of course it can never be higher than whatever adds up to 100% - and typically between 20% and 35% are neutral.

Last edited:
What's also interesting in the YouGov-popularity poll are the correlations:

What other royals are popular, if someone likes ... (first three show highest correlation, last three show lowest correlation):
The Queen: William, Catherine, Anne (least: Beatrice, Edward, Eugenie)
Philip: Charles, Queen, Anne (least: Eugenie, Meghan, Catherine)

William: Catherine, Queen, Anne (least: Philip, Edward, Andrew)
Catherine: William, Queen, Harry (least: Sophie, Edward, Philip)

Harry: Catherine, William, Meghan (least: Sophie, Edward, Andrew)
Meghan: Catherine, Eugenie, Harry (least: Philip, Andrew, Edward)

Charles: Philip, Queen, Anne (least: Eugenie, Harry, Meghan)
Camilla: Andrew, Catherine, Sophie (least: Anne, Harry, Eugenie)

Anne: Zara, Queen, William (least: Meghan, Eugenie, Camilla)
Zara: Anne, Edward, Eugenie (least: Philip, Andrew, Meghan)

Edward: Sophie, Charles, Zara (least: William, Harry, Meghan)
Sophie: Edward, Beatrice, Queen (least: Meghan, Philip, Harry)

Andrew: Beatrice, Camilla, Edward (least: Meghan, Harry, William)
Beatrice: Eugenie, Andrew, Sophie (least: Queen, Harry, Meghan)
Eugenie: Beatrice, Meghan, Zara (least: Camilla, Philip, Queen)

Some of these lists are rather interesting and unexpected!

Last edited:
Thank you for presenting the data in an easy to read form!

As someone pointed out previously, excepting the Duke of York, even the least popular family members included in the poll have approximately as many positive opinions to balance the negative opinions, which is good news for the family.

This diarrhoea of popularity polls on individual members of the royal family (including even somone as Mrs Michael Tindall) still does not give the answer on the topic of this thread: support for the monarchy in the UK.

I found a YouGov poll conducted on 30th July, where the sample size was 2526 and question was "Generally speaking, how much attention, if any at all, do you pay when a member of the royal family passes comment on a current issue?"

A lot of attention: 2%
A fair amount of attention: 17%
Not much attention: 44%
No attention at all: 32%
Don't know: 4%

The question doesn't necessary ask on the support for the monarchy itself directly, but more so on whether or not royal family members should or even could express their opinions on social and political issue.

I vividly remember some British political Youtubers, who have said along the lines with "Most British public don't talk about the royal family on a day-to-day basis", which kind of reflect this YouGov poll.

I have yet find a recent poll that directly ask "Should the UK become a Republic? or remain a constitutional monarchy?"

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/arts/survey-results/daily/2020/07/29/aede6/3

BTW this is my first post on this forum and thank you for your warm welcome ?

This diarrhoea of popularity polls on individual members of the royal family (including even somone as Mrs Michael Tindall) still does not give the answer on the topic of this thread: support for the monarchy in the UK.

I found one YouGov poll that answers my own question in the previous post, but this was conducted on 19th February before the pandemic lock down and Sussexes officially leaving full-time royal duties. Apologies if this was posted earlier.

The question was "Do you think that Britain should continue to have a monarchy, or not?". The sample size was 3142

It should: 62%
It should not: 22%
Don't know: 16%

The two major discriminative factors were politics and region (although the results were consistent across England). In Scotland, the results were

It should: 44%
It should not: 34%
Don't know: 22%

I think Brexit was the main reason why the support is lower in Scotland, given that the poll was done less than three weeks after 31st January.

It would be interesting see the result at the end of this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicola Sturgeon at the time of the referendum of Scottish Independence made it clear that the question of the Head of State in Scotland was an entirely different question. Similarly Scotland's vote on Brexit had nothing to do with the monarchy's position in that country.

I've noted polls on the monarchy in Scotland for many years and it has always been lower than in England. Just as polls on the monarchy show less support in the cities and large towns of the north of England than in the Home Counties.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion, but I think a boring royal makes a better Monarch than a fun or glamorous royal. Just look at the state of the various heirs and spares in the BRF, while the spares tend to be more fun, glamorous and popular, they are also more prone to scandals than the boring heirs.

I think that was Bradford's conclusion.

Like the 'glamorous' Edward VIII and Bertie the Duke of York? Edward VII and Edward VIII were mired in scandals in their day, while their siblings by and large settled down to fairly humdrum lives, in Britain and abroad. None of George V's surviving siblings were ever caught up in anything untoward, and Prince Charles has himself not been immune to controversy and scandal over the years.

Plus, it's not unknown for a popular and admired monarch to slide into disrepute in later years. Look at the current Spanish situation with Juan Carlos, who was considered a model of probity for decades.

Last edited:
I think when the Queen dies the BRF won't last long. In a lot of peoples eyes the Queen IS the British Monarchy and no one coming behind her has a lot of support. I think already that most people in the UK have no great interest in the royals and think of Kings and Queens in the 21st century as a joke but the boat won't be rocked in her lifetime.

I certainly think that the death of Queen Elizabeth may well be a game changer, especially in the realms but also in the UK in how people perceive the BRF and monarchy. She is after all the only monarch most people under 70 in Britain and the Commonwealth have ever known.

I'm not saying that people will be out storming the gates of BP but wouldn't be at all surprised at the level of indifference and apathy to the BRF continuing to rise in both Britain and the Commonwealth in future years.

Like the 'glamorous' Edward VIII and Bertie the Duke of York? Edward VII and Edward VIII were mired in scandals in their day, while their siblings by and large settled down to fairly humdrum lives, in Britain and abroad. None of George V's surviving siblings were ever caught up in anything untoward, and Prince Charles has himself not been immune to controversy and scandal over the years.

Plus, it's not unknown for a popular and admired monarch to slide into disrepute in later years. Look at the current Spanish situation with Juan Carlos, who was considered a model of probity for decades.

I think Edward VIII and Bertie are the exception rather than the norm. And to be fair, Andrew's scandals make Charles' scandals look insignificant.

But there's a case for saying that Andrew is himself an exception to the rule. I pointed out some exceptions in my previous post. And what did Princess Margaret, one time spare to the Queen do that was so horrendous?

While she was certainly considered glamorous she wanted to marry a divorcee, and then made the decision to give him up. She had a terrible marriage which certainly wasn't all her fault and when the marriage was a shell was seen holidaying with a young lover. Her estranged husband had several affairs so any clutching of pearls there by onlookers was more than a bit ridiculous.

But there's a case for saying that Andrew is himself an exception to the rule. I pointed out some exceptions in my previous post. And what did Princess Margaret, one time spare to the Queen do that was so horrendous?

While she was certainly considered glamorous she wanted to marry a divorcee, and then made the decision to give him up. She had a terrible marriage which certainly wasn't all her fault and when the marriage was a shell was seen holidaying with a young lover. Her estranged husband had several affairs so any clutching of pearls there by onlookers was more than a bit ridiculous.

Margaret was incredibly rude and she once said that Irish people are "pigs". Had she lived in the age of social media when she made that comment, she would probably be forced to write an apology.

She was reputed to have said that. It was reported as that and as she was on a visit to the US the comment gained momentum. I remember it at the time and there was some disagreement over what was supposed to have said.

And if she did say it and it wasn't taken out of context or misheard, that certainly is nothing in comparison to what Prince Philip, consort to Queen Elizabeth, has said about and to various races and people of different ethnicity over many years. Nor is it comparable to the many times King Edward VIII made racist remarks such as comparing Indians to monkeys and calling Jews 'Yids' for example.

I think when the Queen dies the BRF won't last long. In a lot of peoples eyes the Queen IS the British Monarchy and no one coming behind her has a lot of support. I think already that most people in the UK have no great interest in the royals and think of Kings and Queens in the 21st century as a joke but the boat won't be rocked in her lifetime.

People having "no great interest" in the royals is a long way from getting rid of them entirely though. There would need to be a lot of long, hard thought put into that question by a great many people beforehand. For starters, is the alternative much better or to anyone's real benefit? Once it's gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom