The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-24-2020, 01:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
He has been reported in the past as seeing his role as monarch as being "different" from previous sovereigns. Whatever that means exactly. I think people just remember his previous meddling & remain wary. I don't think climate change has got anything to do with his lack of popularity.

It's more eye rolling than hostility with Prince Charles. He's not exactly unpopular or actively disliked. Although at one time he was by a lot of people. That immediate dislike has largely evaporated over time.
Maybe so, but I remember near the end of last year that he did a radio show where he said essentially that he's not stupid, that he understands that there are things he can't do as sovereign that he's doing now. He's trying to make as much of an impact as he an now because once he's King, his hands will be tied. William shares much of his concerns, so he may very well take up many of the same causes as his father.

I'll go by what you say because obviously I'm not there, and social media is not an accurate gauge of popularity (and even if it were, I've seen plenty of positive tweets about Charles). It may be that his ratings will increase a bit when he becomes King because people will (a) feel sorry for him that he lost his mother and (b) they'll naturally want to support him.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Maybe so, but I remember near the end of last year that he did a radio show where he said essentially that he's not stupid, that he understands that there are things he can't do as sovereign that he's doing now. He's trying to make as much of an impact as he an now because once he's King, his hands will be tied. William shares much of his concerns, so he may very well take up many of the same causes as his father.

I'll go by what you say because obviously I'm not there, and social media is not an accurate gauge of popularity (and even if it were, I've seen plenty of positive tweets about Charles). It may be that his ratings will increase a bit when he becomes King because people will (a) feel sorry for him that he lost his mother and (b) they'll naturally want to support him.
That radio programme sounds interteresting I must have missed that. I'll see if I can find it.

Lots of people do like the Prince of Wales. I like him although he has his faults like we all do. Just not as many as like his mother or eldest son. I'm sure lots of politicians would be happy with his figures.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
That radio programme sounds interteresting I must have missed that. I'll see if I can find it.

Lots of people do like the Prince of Wales. I like him although he has his faults like we all do. Just not as many as like his mother or eldest son. I'm sure lots of politicians would be happy with his figures.
Oops, it was from the Charles at 70 tv program...Here’s a link and excerpt from the Times.

Your point is a good one!

Quote:
In the documentary, Prince Charles is asked about accusations of meddling. He laughs and replies: “Really? You don’t say.” He goes on: “But I always wonder what meddling is, I mean, I always thought it was motivating.

“But I’ve always been intrigued, if it’s meddling to worry about the inner cities as I did 40 years ago and what was happening or not happening there, the conditions in which people were living. If that’s meddling I’m very proud of it.”

Citing Shakespeare’s plays, and the way Prince Hal grew up to be Henry V, he says: “I won’t be able to do the same things I’ve done, you know, as heir, so of course you operate within the constitutional parameters.” Asked about fears that his involvement would continue in the same way, he says: “No, it won’t. I’m not that stupid, I do realise that it is a separate exercise being sovereign.”

When the film-maker John Bridcut suggests to Charles that he could continue to use his “convening power” — a favourite expression of the prince’s to describe how he brings people together — for good, the prince replies: “Well, you never know but you could only do it with the agreement of ministers. That’s how it works.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...ling-c7dfgzdss
Old 07-24-2020, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I like him too. I like that he cares so much about his causes.

But- I think that while he is liked, he isn't loved.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Courtier

He's always been seen as a bit of an eccentric, talking to plants and going on about carbuncles. There's nothing wrong with eccentrics :-) - books set in the British countryside are full of them! - but they tend not to score as highly in the popularity stakes as people to whom it's easier to relate.

And, shallow though it is, there's a glamour factor. Charles and Camilla both look pretty good at the ages they're at, but they've never had the good looks of the Queen, Princess Margaret, Prince Philip, etc. Prince Andrew was the good-looking one of his generation, back in the day.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think the dislike was over the Diana issue.. but also some of it was over his being seen as a meddler and perhaps as someone who seemed to want to lead a grandiose "Princely" lifestyle. As times' passed I think that Camilla has become more accepted.. and he has quieted down on his giving his opinions and meddling...

The Diana issues have faded over time.

Any current less-than-favorable public opinions of the PoW are, IMHO, about his perceived extravagance detailed in the tabs, eg. flunkies carrying crested silk pillows for his hindquarters, bringing his own food to the opera when the Queen has whatever is on the menu. And, the monies being paid to Mr. Fawcett.

Paul Burrell has been chiming in with anecdotes, which I don't trust. They are just benign enough for a "no comment" from Clarence House, but certainly pay off for Mr. Burrell.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
There have been other more recent stories though, which it was said had been planted in the media, access to his Cambridge grandchildren, stories of his frustration at his charity endeavours not getting sufficient oxygen due to the media concentrating on his sons, reactions in 2017 to Harry and William's documentaries about their mother, etc etc.

I do believe that media attention is important to all the senior royals. They keep an eye on their own press and the stories of others in the family for comparison.

According to Sarah Bradford's book about HM, The Queen a few decades back was very aware that her Mother and Diana were very popular, and she was boring and stuck in between two stars.

Charles should do his homework. It will all work out.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:52 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
According to Sarah Bradford's book about HM, The Queen a few decades back was very aware that her Mother and Diana were very popular, and she was boring and stuck in between two stars.

Charles should do his homework. It will all work out.

Unpopular opinion, but I think a boring royal makes a better Monarch than a fun or glamorous royal. Just look at the state of the various heirs and spares in the BRF, while the spares tend to be more fun, glamorous and popular, they are also more prone to scandals than the boring heirs.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Based on the YouGov-poll I made an overview taking into account both the asset and the liability-percentages.

You will find: asset 2012/asset 2020 & liability 2012/liability 2020 (change (incorporating both the change in asset and in liability)) [approval rating calculated by subtracting the liability percentage from the asset percentage]

Elizabeth: 86/81 & 3/7 (-9%) [74% approval]
William: 86/79 & 3/7 (-11%) [72% approval]
Catherine: 81/76 & 5/8 (-8%) [68% approval]
Anne: 54/56 & 10/9 (+3%) [47% approval]
Charles: 55/54 & 18/19 (-2%) [35% approval]
Philip: 58/42 & 20/29 (-27%) [13% approval]
Camilla: 24/31 & 32/24 (+15%) [7% approval]
Harry: 75/37 & 9/38 (-67%) [1% disapproval]
Meghan: /24 & /51 [27% disapproval]
Andrew: 20/4 & 44/80 (-52%) [76% disapproval]

Some observations: while Camilla is still not really loved by the people previously she changed most for the better (+15%); Anne was the other one in the family improving slightly (+3%). Both Harry and Andrew plummeted (Harry -67% and Andrew (-52%). Meghan is new in the list but has about twice as many people that see her as a liability than those seeing her as an asset. Harry, Meghan and Andrew are all seen as more of a liability than an asset (in Harry's case his asset and liability ratings are very similar but he ended up just in the disapproval range).
Old 07-26-2020, 08:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
There has already been polling. In the not too distant past, Harry, William and The Queen were neck and neck to be the most popular royal among the various polls and Harry consistently topped the yougov poll. In the most recent polling, Harry is no longer at the top of the the yougov poll and I doubt if he will ever reclaim that position but he is still above numerous other royals.
I'm afraid that's factually incorrect. As you specifically mentioned the YouGov-poll: In 2012 the royals that had the highest percentages of being an asset to the monarchy were:
1. The Queen & The Duke of Cambridge (86%) (3% liability)
3. The Duchess of Cambridge (81%) (5% liability)
Harry came after these three at 75% asset and 9% liability.

And about him being above numerous other royals in the current YouGov poll: He is only above his wife Meghan who also left and his uncle Andrew who was kicked out. Even the relatively unpopular Duchess of Cornwall passed him in the polls if we combine asset and liability percentages - see for example my post the appropriate topic.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

How did the Earl and Countess of Wessex poll?
Old 07-26-2020, 09:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
How did the Earl and Countess of Wessex poll?

I think they were not included in that particular poll, which is an indication of how discreet/low-profile they are to the general population, even though they are full-time working royals.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, indeed. Unfortunately, they were not included.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Yes, indeed. Unfortunately, they were not included.
Such a pity they were not included in the poll.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Based on the YouGov-poll I made an overview taking into account both the asset and the liability-percentages.

You will find: asset 2012/asset 2020 & liability 2012/liability 2020 (change (incorporating both the change in asset and in liability)) [approval rating calculated by subtracting the liability percentage from the asset percentage]

Elizabeth: 86/81 & 3/7 (-9%) [74% approval]
William: 86/79 & 3/7 (-11%) [72% approval]
Catherine: 81/76 & 5/8 (-8%) [68% approval]
Anne: 54/56 & 10/9 (+3%) [47% approval]
Charles: 55/54 & 18/19 (-2%) [35% approval]
Philip: 58/42 & 20/29 (-27%) [13% approval]
Camilla: 24/31 & 32/24 (+15%) [7% approval]
Harry: 75/37 & 9/38 (-67%) [1% disapproval]
Meghan: /24 & /51 [27% disapproval]
Andrew: 20/4 & 44/80 (-52%) [76% disapproval]

Some observations: while Camilla is still not really loved by the people previously she changed most for the better (+15%); Anne was the other one in the family improving slightly (+3%). Both Harry and Andrew plummeted (Harry -67% and Andrew (-52%). Meghan is new in the list but has about twice as many people that see her as a liability than those seeing her as an asset. Harry, Meghan and Andrew are all seen as more of a liability than an asset (in Harry's case his asset and liability ratings are very similar but he ended up just in the disapproval range).
Nothing so superficial and whimsy as "popularity". Once Andy was THE star of the royal family. Once Fergie was the fresh breath of air into the stiff and stuffy royal family. Once girls screamed when they saw William, now a bald man trying to keep awake. Once Camilla was hissed and booed and now she meets well-willingness and good hearted atmosphere. With other words, stick a wet finger in the air and voilà, another "poll".
Old 07-26-2020, 12:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I'm afraid that's factually incorrect. As you specifically mentioned the YouGov-poll: In 2012 the royals that had the highest percentages of being an asset to the monarchy were:
1. The Queen & The Duke of Cambridge (86%) (3% liability)
3. The Duchess of Cambridge (81%) (5% liability)
Harry came after these three at 75% asset and 9% liability.

And about him being above numerous other royals in the current YouGov poll: He is only above his wife Meghan who also left and his uncle Andrew who was kicked out. Even the relatively unpopular Duchess of Cornwall passed him in the polls if we combine asset and liability percentages - see for example my post the appropriate topic.
I disagree that my information is factually incorrect.

We are referring to different yougov polls. The poll you are citing is a poll that was put out in 2012 and then again in 2020. There are other polls that are published more frequently. The yougov poll I am citing, in terms of overall popularity, Harry outranks Charles, Camilla, Anne, the Wessexes and other royals (link).

I will edit my comment that Harry consistently tops the yougov poll because of the different polls and when they publish new polls, they overwrite previous polls.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:

We are referring to different yougov polls. The poll you are citing is a poll that was put out in 2012 and then again in 2020. There are other polls that are published more frequently. The yougov poll I am citing, in terms of overall popularity, Harry outranks Charles, Camilla, Anne, the Wessexes and other royals (link).

I will edit my comment that Harry consistently tops the yougov poll because of the different polls and when they publish new polls, they overwrite previous polls.
Sorry waht year is that poll that youve linked?
Old 07-26-2020, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Thanks, although 'tops the polls' to me would not suggest he was nr 4 but that he was nr 1 - and 'neck and neck' in popularity with the queen and William while he is 20% behind the queen and 11% behind William doesn't seem accurate either. Nonetheless, he might have been at some point - but I would like to see the various YouGov poll results that support that claim.

So, it is clear that in the so far mentioned polls, including the latest 'popularity poll' you linked, the Queen (74%) and William and Catherine (65%) are most popular and valued. In the past Harry sat in 4th place (followed closely by his aunt Anne, his father Charles and his grandfather Philip - all around 50% (+/-4%)). But indeed previously he was more popular than several of his lesser-known family members such as the earl and countess of Wessex and his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie (Andrew consistently sits at the bottom as I guess he has for several years now). However, recently Harry saw a huge drop in popularity as can be seen in the most recent YouGov poll (but not yet in the poll you quoted that isn't dated)

Edit: it seems the popularity YouGov-poll includes data that are collected over a year, so especially when so much is happening that might change opinions on certain members of the family it might not fully be reflected - so it is not unlikely that Harry scored a bit higher previously and that this 54% he lands on now is partly due to previously being more popular and currently being relatively unpopular as we saw with the June poll data. So, it would all depend on when how many data points were collected over the last year.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Sorry waht year is that poll that youve linked?

Quote:
Thanks, although 'tops the polls' to me would not suggest he was nr 4 but that he was nr 1 - and 'neck and neck' in popularity with the queen and William while he is 20% behind the queen and 11% behind William doesn't seem accurate either. Nonetheless, he might have been at some point - but I would like to see the various YouGov poll results that support that claim.

So, it is clear that in the so far mentioned polls, including the latest 'popularity poll' you linked, the Queen (74%) and William and Catherine (65%) are most popular and valued. In the past Harry sat in 4th place (followed closely by his aunt Anne, his father Charles and his grandfather Philip - all around 50% (+/-4%)). But indeed previously he was more popular than several of his lesser-known family members such as the earl and countess of Wessex and his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie (Andrew consistently sits at the bottom as I guess he has for several years now). However, recently Harry saw a huge drop in popularity as can be seen in the most recent YouGov poll (but not yet in the poll you quoted that isn't dated)

Edit: it seems the popularity YouGov-poll includes data that are collected over a year, so especially when so much is happening that might change opinions on certain members of the family it might not fully be reflected - so it is not unlikely that Harry scored a bit higher previously and that this 54% he lands on now is partly due to previously being more popular and currently being relatively unpopular as we saw with the June poll data. So, it would all depend on when how many data points were collected over the last year.
What I stated was that in the not too distant past, Harry, William and The Queen were neck and neck to be the most popular royal but in recent polling Harry is no longer shares that neck and neck position for the top spot and that I doubt if he will ever reclaim that position but he is still above numerous other royals.

The overall context was a discussion around if Harry and Meghan had fallen out of favor to the degree that there would be opposition by the British public to them resuming royal duties.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Including data from 2019 & 2020.

Quote:
The overall context was a discussion around if Harry and Meghan had fallen out of favor to the degree that there would be opposition by the British public to them resuming royal duties.
Currently, the group that sees him as a liability is slightly greater than the group that thinks he is an asset. And I don't think he is at the bottom yet...

For Meghan the situation is even worse with over half of those polled seeing her as a liability. So, unless things change drastically, I don't think it would be wise for the BRF to allow them to resume royal duties (if H&M would be interested that is).