Strapless Wedding Gowns

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:flowers:I think a strapless evening gown can be beautiful, but prefer sleeves for wedding dresses - especially Royal wedding dresses, it seems to be a timeless, classy option.

:flowers:I think a strapless evening gown can be beautiful, but prefer sleeves for wedding dresses - especially Royal wedding dresses, it seems to be a timeless, classy option.
i agre with you

Although I see strapless wedding gowns are becoming a large trend, more especially in the USA, I still feel that a "strapless" is more suited to an evening gown. If marrying in a church it is important for a bride to have covered shoulders. I think sleeves definitely do add to the class and elegance of a gown.

Last edited:
Strapless has been the "in thing" in USA wedding gowns for the last 12 or so year. They should be trending out.

I have to say, I've never been to a wedding where the bride was strapless. But then, we are all fuddy-duddies. Long live the sleeve!

I do like strapless wedding dresses but now I feel that they all look samey as they almost invariably seem to have short trains. For me, the longer the train, the better.

Princess Charlene is the ultimative icon for a strapless wedding dress.
It was so elegant and kind of sexy.
Not everyone can wear such a dress but she's got the perfect shoulders for it.
So it depends on the woman and her body who wears strapless!

Princess Charlene is the ultimative icon for a strapless wedding dress.
It was so elegant and kind of sexy.
Not everyone can wear such a dress but she's got the perfect shoulders for it.
So it depends on the woman and her body who wears strapless!

Uh, Charlene did not wear a strapless wedding dress... She did wear sleeveless but not strapless.

A strapless wedding dress doesn't look good on a plus-size woman or women who are severely obsese. I've seen plus-size women wear them and what you notice about the dress is their breasts especially if they are top heavy. The whole focus is there especially someone who is plus-sized and then large breasted for her size.

In general large breasted women don't look good in a strapless wedding dressing regardless of weight. A woman who is average size or thin usually looks good in them.

Since it's rare to see a female royal who is plus-size or having severe weight issues walk down the aisle (I don't recall seeing one in modern times), what I've stated above is a non-issue relating to strapless gowns.

Royals have traditionally not worn strapless wedding dresses. I wonder how many of them would have liked to but didn't want to buck tradition or were talked of doing so.

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, so I apologize for high jacking this topic; what do you guts think about a bride wearing fake hair on her wedding day?

nascarlucy - you made a good point - or several.

I have often wondered why any bride would go strapless.

What message is being conveyed by going strapless?

I could picture Mette Marit,Mary,Marie Chantal and Kate having a desire to wear a strapless gown.

A strapless wedding dress doesn't look good on a plus-size woman or women who are severely obsese. I've seen plus-size women wear them and what you notice about the dress is their breasts especially if they are top heavy. The whole focus is there especially someone who is plus-sized and then large breasted for her size.

In general large breasted women don't look good in a strapless wedding dressing regardless of weight. A woman who is average size or thin usually looks good in them.

Since it's rare to see a female royal who is plus-size or having severe weight issues walk down the aisle (I don't recall seeing one in modern times), what I've stated above is a non-issue relating to strapless gowns.

Royals have traditionally not worn strapless wedding dresses. I wonder how many of them would have liked to but didn't want to buck tradition or were talked of doing so.

You make great points, nascarlucy :flowers:.

However, many people who are a little heavier don't see things this way. I've seen a good number of wedding photos where a bride was top heavy, and still chose a strapless dress. I know for a fact that a strapless anything won't work for me (in the top heavy/plus size category), but I will acknowledge that some strapless dresses are very pretty. They just don't work for a good number of people. As for wedding dresses, I would go with sleeves regardless of my shape. I just feel it's more traditional and respectful, especially in a church setting.

I could picture Mette Marit,Mary,Marie Chantal and Kate having a desire to wear a strapless gown.

Catherine actually did wear a strapless gown for her wedding reception - with a vest over it, okay, but the gown was strapless.

I honestly wouldn't want to see Kate in a strapless gown. I am not one of those people who harps on her weight, but I believe she is too skinny to pull off a strapless gown. Mette-Marit (if you are talking about the wedding dress) I don't think would wear a strapless gown because it would give the wrong impression about her. She was already trying hard to convey to the people of Norway that she would be a good Princess for them. I think Princess Mary would look great in a strapless gown.

I honestly wouldn't want to see Kate in a strapless gown. I am not one of those people who harps on her weight, but I believe she is too skinny to pull off a strapless gown. Mette-Marit (if you are talking about the wedding dress) I don't think would wear a strapless gown because it would give the wrong impression about her. She was already trying hard to convey to the people of Norway that she would be a good Princess for them. I think Princess Mary would look great in a strapless gown.

As I said above you, Catherine already wore a strapless gown - despite it being covered by a vest.

As your opinion about Princess Mary in a strapless gown, here you are:
Princess Mary of Denmark Sheath/Column Strapless Dropped-waist Sweep Train Lace Yarn Ruffled Wedding Party Dresses [LF-SOD-0862] - US$309.99 : Bosgoo.com

I do know that strapless gowns are becoming more and more the trend, more especially in countries like America. However I do prefer sleeves, especially if the wedding ceremony is to be held inside a church. I do believe it better for a bride to have covered shoulders in a church. I have seen some brides wear a short bolero jacket over their strapless gown for the church formality which they remove later. Strapless gowns are definitely lovely and elegant but more suited, I think, for evening wear.

Last edited:
Mary look's great in a strapless dress.

Strapless wedding gowns are on their way out in the U.S.

I think wearing a strapeless dress in a church is tasteless, just like deep neckline.
Strapeless is good for parties, but anyway I would never wear strapeless on official or semi-official events.
The only wedding that I can imagine a strapless dress would be somehow okay, is a garden/ beach wedding in July or hot August. But even then I personally wouldn't wear strapeless.

I hate so much that all wedding dress firms offer so many strapeless dress. I will be forced to get my dress tailored. But looking at wedding dress prices in my country ( average 800 €) I don't think it makes a big difference anyway !

Last edited:
Maybe we should thank Kate Middleton for that.

:previous: What? Kate's choice had nothing to do with trending wedding fashions or any other kind of fashion.

Well a lot of designers out there say that her dress will make wedding dresses with sleeves popular.

We can only hope so, but not quite yet: my niece is getting married in 2013 and has already bought her dress. When we went to the shop to see it, I did an "informal" survey and of the hundred or so dresses there, all but TWO were strapless...

Last edited:
We can only hope so, but not quite yet: my niece is getting married in 2013 and has already bought her dress. When we went to the shop to see it, I did an "informal" survey and of the hundred or so dresses there, all but TWO were strapless...

I think it shows that a lot of brides just tend to go with the flow instead of paying attention to what they would really like or what would really suit them... Too bad, in my eyes on your wedding day you should be the star. The one occasion to really shine.

If I ever get married, I will not ever wear a strapless dress. I totally dislike the style (will not say hate), it doesn't suit me and I would feel uncomfortable in it.
It would be my day so I should look and wear what I like and not having to bow for "only available".

:previous: What? Kate's choice had nothing to do with trending wedding fashions or any other kind of fashion.

Not entirely, it will always have influence in some way.

Well a lot of designers out there say that her dress will make wedding dresses with sleeves popular.

If so, I hope it carries on. Vera Wang expressed her hope (at least I interpreted it as hope) for sleeved dresses after her creation for Ivanka Trump, but I don't know whether that one really carried on.

Thank you for pointing this out Kitty. I do know that on many US wedding shows strapless gowns were very much the trend. The gowns were actually quite beautiful and elegant. Glad to see that the trend is changing somewhat. Sleeves can be very complimentary on a wedding gown. I think they also give the gown "balance".

Last edited:
I so hope that you are right about that.

Me too.
I'm really tired of the strapless style, and it is not very becoming to most brides.

(One came into the historic building where I work to take photos; she looked all right from the front, but not from the back. But I suspect she had little else to choose from when she purchased her dress.)

Back
Top Bottom