Queen Margrethe II, Current Events Part 2: June 2020 - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is. I have just checked. Basically all events QMII were to attend have been postponed.
All except of her boarding Dannebrog for the season next week.

I'm not surprised though. I think it has always been doubtful as to what she could manage this side of August.
That Frederik has had to take over the audience, something QMII can sit down to do, does not indicate she is doing well these days.

Her managing the balcony scene on her B-day may have been due to strong painkillers.
At the traditional move of her residence to Fredensborg, she did display an uncharacteristically episode of temper. Something she would otherwise not do, but when it hurts your threshold goes down.

Having problems with your back is no joke. At all! Not for anyone and certainly not for someone aged 83.

It takes time to recover.

What was the temper episode? (I missed that.)

The Queen is probably like everyone else -- you start to feel better, overdo a bit, and set yourself back.

As said before: this is not a thread about a possible abdication, we have other threads for that. Off topic posts have therefore once again been removed.

What was the temper episode? (I missed that.)

The Queen is probably like everyone else -- you start to feel better, overdo a bit, and set yourself back.

In one of the clips her cane gave her problems while sitting down, and that visibly angered her, where she normally would just have shrugged it off and someone would have helped her.
A bit like King Charles and his pen, except I doubt his back was killing him at the time.

In one of the clips her cane gave her problems while sitting down, and that visibly angered her, where she normally would just have shrugged it off and someone would have helped her.
A bit like King Charles and his pen, except I doubt his back was killing him at the time.

Sounds like she's had enough of being held back by back problems and surgery!

Queen Margrethe received Ukrainian Parliament Speaker Ruslan Stefanchuk at Fredensborg Castle today, May 19:

** instagram post **

That's one seriously imposing speaker the Ukrainians got!

Perhaps the House of Lords could borrow him? He should be able to shout "Order!" loud enough for people on the streets in Brighton to be startled!

And then you remember QMII is not a small person!

The Lords does have a Speaker; you're probably thinking of the Commons, though.

:previous: I am.

Though... In one chamber the members appears to be sleeping, in the other other not listening. :ermm:

:previous: I am.

Though... In one chamber the members appears to be sleeping, in the other other not listening. :ermm:

Folk call the House of Lords "the house of the undead." What they call the other chamber is unprintable.

So, the Bornholm summer cruise was cancelled for June 5th....yet she went to Bornholm anyway for another event/reception? Okay then.

How sweet is this?!

"Northeast of Bornholm lies the island group Ertholmene, which includes Christiansø. Off this island, the Royal Ship Dannebrog has been anchored in the last 24 hours ⚓

Her Majesty the Queen had today invited all the island's residents - children and adults - for afternoon coffee, juice and cake at Dannebrog "

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtM080Eg2h3/

:previous: Well, in a sense the islanders are merely visiting their landlord.

Because Christiansø and the small islands nearby are unique in the sense that they are owned by the Ministry of Defense and as such also administered by a governor from the military.
It is the only place in DK where civilians can rent houses on a military area and as such the islanders have no local civilian political representation they can vote for. They don't belong to a municipality. They are subject to the governor of the islands.

Christiansø (ø = island) was originally a fort aimed at covering this side of Bornholm with heavy artillery pieces, with enough range and weight to keep ships-of-the-line well away from this part of Bornholm.
Bornholm of course having an ancient strategic position being located in the middle of the Baltic Sea. - It still has, and certainly no less these days!

Back during the Cold War, Bornholm was a stumbling block for advancing Warsaw Pact invasion ships and it was also one of the forward NATO listening posts - even if Sweden discreetly shared at least a good deal of information with NATO. Bornholm is to this day still a major SIGINT (Signals Intelligence = listening post) post.

But back to Christiansø, apart from a small fort and a battery of 1700s canons, it still has a military function, in the sense that it functions as an observation post for ships passing by and as a base for patrol ships from the Navy Home Guard.

Thankyou for the background Muhler , every political system has it's quirk's , Still a charming thing for HM to do . All including HM seem to have enjoyed themselves . The weather and food looked lovely .

Most landlords don't have you for tea and cake, let alone someplace as nice as Dannebrog!

It's amazing how much stronger she looks now than she did at Easter. She's making a remarkable recovery.

:previous: Has the dress code for the audiences changed? Didn’t it use to be gala uniform/white tie?

Last edited:
I have noticed, since a time back, that the dress code seems to vary from audience to audience. A bit confusing. Sometime the new Ambassadors are in morning suit/dress and at the other audience in white tie/long dress.

Well done to The Queen!

Wow...

The hilarious thing is that it is King Harald (fellow ex-heavy nicotiner) who once asked her at a 'family' banquet, "Daisy, when are you going to stop smoking?"

I guess we all finally have an answer! (Or she was waiting to tell him!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom