Queen Margrethe II announces Abdication for January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How are the news in Australia taking the surprise announcement? It has to be major news, the first ever Australian born, and Pacific Ocean born, Queen of a European country. It has to be as big as in the 1950's when Grace Kelly became a princess of a country in Europe.

It is New Year's Day here so a public holiday.

The news is in the stories but not the lead - that is the welcoming of New Year. That is, as always on New Year's Day, followed by the news from the release of the cabinet papers from 20 years ago and so the cabinet papers about the invasion of Iraq. There was also a story about a passenger going wild on a flight from Bali to Melbourne and the weather - storms etc. Honestly not much - Denmark doesn't get a lot of news down here, even when it is royal news. Channel 7 did a cross to the British royal correspondent who simply repeated the news and said 'no coronation'.

January 14, 1972 is when Margrethe II first became Queen Regnant.
It seems so ironic that she is abdicating on the same month and day of her succession to the throne.

Wise decision, at her age she is entitled to a bit of rest.

It seems so ironic that she is abdicating on the same month and day of her succession to the throne.

I think it was purposeful that she chose that day - starting and ending her reign on the same day, like a full circle

Well, now Frederik and Mary will be the next reigning couple, I guess that they will a tour to the Nordic neighbours

They will possibly officially visit all their fellow European monarchs and consorts like Willem Alexander, Philippe, and Felipe did after they became monarchs.

I suspect there will be visits to Greenland and the Faroe Island, possibly with the whole family (summer cruise?) or would they make visits various different locations in Denmark like Aarhus, etc. If any outgoing state visit in 2024 most likely Sweden and/or Norway will get the honor of being their first state visit.

The same with Beatrix. She abdicated exactly on the day she ascended to the throne. Destiny irony

How are the news in Australia taking the surprise announcement? It has to be major news, the first ever Australian born, and Pacific Ocean born, Queen of a European country. It has to be as big as in the 1950's when Grace Kelly became a princess of a country in Europe.

The Argentinian press too, when they announced that a native Argentinian would become Queen

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly the Swedish RF and the Norwegian RF have no events listed for 14th Jan. Wonder if any of them may travel over?

Reading through posts this morning, I find many of you share my shock at this announcement, however somehow, I find myself not in the least bit surprised. I believe that she now believes she has honoured her oath but can now, no longer, give her country all she promised. Her mind is still as sharp as a tack, but her body is failing her and to continue to put herself under such severe strain was a poor return for the effort she made.

I truly believe her surgery and recovery time allowed her to ponder her health situation both then and into the future. I also believe that it merely endorsed a decision that she had already made. As to whether she had shared that decision so long ago, I cannot say but am totally blown away by the the number of people who fear the decision may have been coerced in some way to announce her abdication. Hello! Has anyone met, seen or read about Queen Margrethe in action? To borrow a phrase: 'Nobody puts Daisy in a corner'. ?

I

I've never seen her look as sad as she does in the pictures from the speech. Her queen-face is gone.

As momentous an announcement as this is from her, I truly, truly hope she is and will be fine as semi-private citizen HM.

And that I believe was her intention.

I don't think there are any other motives behind this than QMII, on reflection, has decided that she can't do her job well enough anymore.

She has however also repeatedly said that she would step back if it was necessary for health reasons.
That does not mean that she is ill, but it could simply be that she is tired and feels she can't keep up anymore.
And at 83 that's a valid excuse. And she's still pretty sharp mind you!

I think a person’s willingness to change their mind, and adapt to changing circumstances, is a sign of intelligence and good character. I’m sure QMII meant it in the past when she said she didn’t plan to abdicate, and she’d likely already put a good deal of thought into the issue even then, but thinking decades out about how you expect your life to go isn’t the same as knowing what your life is like right now.

Even a casual observer can see she’s become increasingly frail, and likely no longer has the mobility or stamina needed to do various important parts of her job. But she’s “only” in her early 80s and could potentially live another ten years or more. QMII has always had high expectations of herself, and I don’t think she’d want to go on in this diminished capacity for a lengthy period of time, not when Frederik and Mary can immediately be up and running at 100 percent.

I've never seen her look as sad as she does in the pictures from the speech. Her queen-face is gone.

As momentous an announcement as this is from her, I truly, truly hope she is and will be fine as semi-private citizen HM.

I agree… It’s fully understandable though that she looked extremly emotional as it more than likely is an extremly emotional moment to publicly announce an abdication.

But i agree that she did not look ”herself” and i’m sure there is more to this than just a simple wish to retire…. We have to remember that this is a woman who time after time after time year after year after year, has pledged that she will remain on the chair until she falls off, so i am under no illusion that she takes an abdication lightly… Something has made her come to the realisation that she can’t do the job anymore the way she wants to do…

Having said that, i ofcourse wish Frederik and Mary all the best, and i do not doubt the slightest that they will be terrific as Denmarks new Royal Couple.

I think, she's been mulling the possibility of this for a long time. Maybe she had really hoped that the large back surgery she had in February would bring her substantial relief, but a surgery of that size plus the subsequent rehabilitation takes a toll on the body and with her having additional medical issues, it just compounds the toll and not only a physical toll, but an emotional and mental one. Maybe the aftermath of the surgery and the time off she took gave her the actual quiet time for thinking and reflection and really taking a step back and looking at a larger picture of the future of the monarchy, the DRF and what dutes and responsibilities come with being monarch and she had an honest conversation with herself about her ability to carry out everything needed of the monarch at a level she believes it deserves. So, the decision was cemented in her mind and the process began in full for the rest of the year.

And no, I do not for one second believe that she was coerced, manipulated, strong-armed or in anyway influenced by anyone or anything. I believe she did this in her own way, in her own time and on her own terms. She is stepping aside while still able to be a source of support, advice and guidance for not only Frederik but Mary and Christian as well but in just a new capacity that affords her time for rest, relaxation, focus on her hobbies that she enjoys while knowing that the DRF and monarchy are in the best hands moving forward. Now this transition, while yes, bittersweet in many ways, can still be seen as a joyous moment where one era ends and another begins with QMII still present to witness it. And I am sure that Frederik and Mary are grateful not only for her confidence in them, but for the fact that when they take over she will still be there with them and it won't be during a period of mourning.

Here in Australia the news is spreading and picking up coverage on some of our more widely known websites and networks eg news.com.au. Some of the websites are also reproducing articles that related to F&M a few months ago and contain rumours about their marriage.
I personally am surprised by the news (I thought Margrethe would remain monarch until she passed on). I also note that many have commented on the impact on Mary Frederik and Christian but I wonder about future impact on the other children particularly Isabella. Will she be expected to remain a “working royal” and support her dad and Christian - obviously Margrethe sister has supported her in the background

Here in Australia the news is spreading and picking up coverage on some of our more widely known websites and networks eg news.com.au. Some of the websites are also reproducing articles that related to F&M a few months ago and contain rumours about their marriage.
I personally am surprised by the news (I thought Margrethe would remain monarch until she passed on). I also note that many have commented on the impact on Mary Frederik and Christian but I wonder about future impact on the other children particularly Isabella. Will she be expected to remain a “working royal” and support her dad and Christian - obviously Margrethe sister has supported her in the background

I don't know how Frederik will handle this, why would Isabella and the Twins be working Royals? I think Isabella will have an important presence until Christian has one child, but hopefully she will also realise that she has to make a life for herself, just like the Twins.

If Frederik has any doubts, he should call King Philippe.

They will possibly officially visit all their fellow European monarchs and consorts like Willem Alexander, Philippe, and Felipe did after they became monarchs.

That's exactly what I thought of! Bling alert!! ?????

84% and 85%
I'll say the Danes are very pleased. And this is a recent poll so no panic in these shores

Well I guess Frederik has been in training for this Role for most of his life, and Mary has had 20 years training, so I guess the transition will be easy enough for them. And of course they have the benefit of wisdom of Her Majesty to help steer them through rocky times.

I just wonder if Christian automatically becomes Crown Prince on the 14 th January, once the Proclamation is declared for his parents.
I wish all of them well, especially Her Majesty who deserves to rest for her health.

I just realised that Prince Christian is the last person to have the Order of the Elephant awarded to him by QMII and with her monogram. When Princess Isabella, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine are awarded with the Order, they will have Frederik's monogram on it

Sorry Toledo.

I’m sitting here in Tasmania in front of the tv … 2pm … and it didn’t even get mentioned in the promo just on for tonight’s 6pm news show.

The passing of an Australian journalist … better known some decades ago, not really heard from for a long time. The Australian involvement in Iraq mentioned by Iluvbertie upthread. And the latest Jack-Jumpers basketball match, (which Mary and family saw in action last summer when in Hobart).

Those three headlines were used to draw the audience for tonight’s news here locally … Mary’s home state.

I’m sure it will be covered … but even our own Royal Family only get covered in the later, entertainment section, anytime they do something.

The women’s magazines will probably do something next issue or two, but without a big Coronation, there may not be big splashy coverage.

If 60 Minutes or the Australian Women’s Weekly magazine can get an exclusive interview with Mary, that would be bigger coverage, but I don’t think either will happen, at least not at this time.

Big surprise taking that she has often said that never abdicate. Seemingly COVID-19 and back surgery have taken notable tolls on her.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Toledo, the 4pm tv news covered it, but not until forty minutes into the bulletin … after everything else, including the sport.

And that is here in Tasmania.

But the report was more about Mary than about Queen Margrethe or Frederik, so I suppose there is that.

Well I guess Frederik has been in training for this Role for most of his life, and Mary has had 20 years training, so I guess the transition will be easy enough for them. And of course they have the benefit of wisdom of Her Majesty to help steer them through rocky times.

I just wonder if Christian automatically becomes Crown Prince on the 14 th January, once the Proclamation is declared for his parents.
I wish all of them well, especially Her Majesty who deserves to rest for her health.

That's automatic.
Once a new monarch has taken over, the next in line becomes the heir, and when it's a child of the monarch the title is changed to crown prince/ss.

So when QMII has signed the document abdicating (that's a new thing that will have to be written) and Frederik has taken over, then Christian is automatically the crown prince.
I guess he will be present as well and join his dad and mother on the balcony.

I read this news early morning and that was the end of my sleep. Happy retirement to Queen Margrethe, at least she will be around to offer guidance to Prince Frederik and Mary, and congratulations to the new King and Queen.

I look forward to the reign of the new King and Queen and wish them well.

She is the only Queen regent at the moment - from the 14th Jan, we need to wait until one of the Crown Princesses heirs will ascend.
This will be the first time since i believe 1816 that the will be no female monarch in Europe.

I just realised that Prince Christian is the last person to have the Order of the Elephant awarded to him by QMII and with her monogram. When Princess Isabella, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine are awarded with the Order, they will have Frederik's monogram on it

No King Felipe and Queen Letizia where the last as their State Visit to Denmark was a few weeks after Christian got his.

The Palace released the New Year's Speech video including the announcement on it's social media platforms today:

** instagram video **

No King Felipe and Queen Letizia where the last as their State Visit to Denmark was a few weeks after Christian got his.

I didn't realise the King and Queen of Spain were only just awarded the Order of the Elephant in November! I would have thought Felipe was awarded it ages ago! You learn something new everyday :flowers:

This will be the first time since i believe 1816 that the will be no female monarch in Europe.
:ohmy: There's been at least one reigning Queen regent during the past 208 years, anywhere in the world?! Wow!

Last edited:
Well Toledo, the 4pm tv news covered it, but not until forty minutes into the bulletin … after everything else, including the sport.

And that is here in Tasmania.

But the report was more about Mary than about Queen Margrethe or Frederik, so I suppose there is that.

I watched for it today on Melbourne’s Channel 9 news at 6PM. As with Tasmania, quite late in the bulletin (the leading story here was an old lady trapped in her blazing home by a neighbour’s illegal fireworks) and all about Aus having ‘a Queen’. There were some clips of Mary and Frederik when they were last on a visit to Australia (before the very recent one) and that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom