Pre-Abdication, Information and Musings’ thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans-Rickard

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
Stockholm
Country
Sweden
Her Majesty The Queen has tonight, in her New Year's Address, announced that Her Majesty will step down as Queen of Denmark on 14th January, 2024 and will hand over the throne to His Royal Highness The Crown Prince.

The Danish Royal Court’s website www.kongehuset.dk will be updated regularly with information regarding the succession of the throne.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/succession-of-the-throne

Last edited:
Will we see Queen Anne-Marie and other members of the Greek Royal Family and some members of Mary's family at Frederik X's proclamation?

Will we see Queen Anne-Marie and other members of the Greek Royal Family and some members of Mary's family at Frederik X's proclamation?

I wouldn't be surprised to at least see Anne-Marie and Benedickte involved somehow. This is the first abdication in hundreds of years, and only the second in history, so I expect there is room for some creativity in how it will proceed instead of just the usual somber balcony proclamation. Apparently the Norwegian and Swedish royal calenders are empty for the 14th so not sure what to make of that.

When HM The Queen abdicates at the Council of State on Sunday, 14 January 2024, it will be the first time in nearly 900 years that this has happened in Denmark – thus, it will be an extraordinary and historic event.

The term “abdication” comes from the Latin word “abdicare”, which means that one relinquishes something.
The expression is traditionally used regarding the situation in which a sitting sovereign voluntarily gives up his or her throne or authority.
In some countries, it is the custom, or at least something that occurs, that the head of state makes room for the next generation by stepping down – abdicating.
This is the case in, among other countries, The Netherlands, where four out of six sovereigns since the monarchy was established in 1813 have abdicated. This occurred most recently in 2013, when the then Queen Beatrix handed over the throne to her eldest son, His Majesty King Willem-Alexander, on Queen’s Day on 30 April. Queen Beatrix herself assumed the throne through the abdication of her mother, Queen Juliana, in 1980.
Also in Belgium, Luxembourg and Spain, there are examples of the head of state stepping aside by abdication in recent times.
In other countries, including Denmark, Norway and Sweden, there is no tradition of abdicating. The last time a Danish sovereign voluntarily gave up the throne before his death was thus in 1146, when the king Erik III Lam stepped down – to enter a monastery, in fact.
Even though abdication is therefore not Danish constitutional practice, the Act on Succession to the Throne of the Kingdom of Denmark presumes that abdication can take place, as § 6 of the act stipulates that the act’s other provisions – which are based on the death of the sovereign – also apply in case the sovereign relinquishes the throne.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/abdication

Last edited:

Probably the SWB, Greek and Nordic royal families as well the Presidents of Iceland and Finland will attend the proclamation

It's difficult to say as Danish proclamations have never been particularly joyful occasions what with them happening immediately after the death of the previous monarch. At QMII's proclamation, I believe only Henrik was present at Christiansborg.

I am thinking at this Proclamatipn they could invite any family they wanted, considering it is not a particularly sad occasion. But then they could have a big Banquet with all the usual Royals attending.

The royal house issued a press release on Tuesday afternoon in which it appears that major changes have been made to some of the most high-profile roles in the royal household.

In connection with the accession of the new king on 14 January 2024, a number of changes in the leadership of The Royal House of Denmark will be made.

The current Chief of the Court of TRH The Crown Prince and The Crown Princess, Christian Schønau, assumes the position of Lord Chamberlain of The Royal House of Denmark on 14 January. Christian Schønau, who has a master of law degree, has been Chief of Court since 2010. Before his career in The Royal House of Denmark, the new Lord Chamberlain was a department chief in the Ministry of the Interior and Health and the Ministry of Social Affairs, among other things.

Christian Schønau takes over the position from Kim Kristensen, who has served as Lord Chamberlain since 2021. Before that, Kim Kristensen was The Royal House of Denmark’s Master of Ceremonies from 2012. Kim Kristensen will continue in a position as Chief of Court of the newly established Court of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe.

At the same time, Cabinet Secretary Henning Fode is leaving after 16 years of service. Her Majesty The Queen expresses her warmest appreciation for Henning Fode’s attention to his work as Cabinet Secretary. The position of cabinet secretary will not be filled again, and the cabinet secretary’s duties will henceforth be carried out by the Lord Chamberlain.

The Royal House of Denmark’s Master of Ceremonies, Lasse Harkjær, will leave his current position on March 1st to begin as Chief of Staff in the Court of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe. From March 1st the new Master of Ceremonies will be Commodore Anders Friis. Anders Friis comes from a command position in the Defence Command.
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/ændringer-i-kongehusets-ledelse

Last edited:
Does anyone know how extensive these changes are and/or is there any information on the remit of these posts? I'm not sure what a Cabinet Secretary does for example. :confused:

"The Cabinet Secretariat’s most important task is to assist and advise The Queen in carrying out the duty as head of state. The Cabinet Secretariat thus functions as the connecting link between the government and the Royal House of Denmark and attends to duties particularly related to the lawmaking process, including improvements in the holding of councils of state, formation and reorganization (reshuffling) of governments, and matters that are otherwise dependent upon royal resolution (among other things, appointment and dismissal of certain officeholders and cases regarding pardons). It is also the Cabinet Secretariat that deals with the requests continuously received regarding The Queen’s attendance at particular arrangements and handles contact with The Queen’s patronages. The Cabinet Secretariat is led by the Cabinet Secretary."

Does anyone know how extensive these changes are and/or is there any information on the remit of these posts? I'm not sure what a Cabinet Secretary does for example. :confused:

Adda already explained what the function of a cabinet secretary is.

The Lord Chamberlain (hofmarskal) is the chief of court and on a daily basis he act as the executive of the monarch.
It's quite a promotion for Frederik current chief-of-court and it's good to see they retain the old one as QMII's chief-of-court, which means he can serve as an advisor - and if need be can step in and take over again.

Glad they put out a press release so quickly about some the changes that will take place. That this is announced so quickly gives an inkling just how long this transition has been happening bts. Not something that gets tossed together in a couple of days. And also shows how tight lipped their courts are. No leaks. No royal source this or person close to the royals that. No leaks and briefings. Good on them and shows what a tight ship they run.

I am glad they have put out this statement. The nature of the proposed personnel changes clearly sets out the detailed thought that would have gone into planning the transition.

Shall we say white, male and middle aged pluss. I hope for some more progressive choices, some women (not just for Mary) in top positions, and a new comms team, it leaves a litle to be desired as soon as it gets a bit tricky and not just Billedbladets rose tinted view on the world/royals.

White middle aged male can also be competent. Often even the most competent candidate. ;)

Let's stay clear of favoritism for various segments of the populations based on just that. It should always be the best candidate.

If there is a system where a woman is preferred, to meet a quota, that woman will have to work even harder, because it can be said with justification that she does not have that position based on merit, but because of her gender.
A system based on merit is the most fair system in my firm opinion.
And don't worry, we'll get a female chief of court or chief of ceremonies at some point, when the best candidate happens to be a woman.

Shall we say white, male and middle aged pluss. I hope for some more progressive choices, some women (not just for Mary) in top positions, and a new comms team, it leaves a litle to be desired as soon as it gets a bit tricky and not just Billedbladets rose tinted view on the world/royals.

I don't think seeking diversity for the sake of it achieves very much. As long as people are not being discriminated against for the colour of their skin or their gender, I think we are fine.

I hope there is a new director of communications because the female that's been in that position for more than 2 decades imo is seriously lacking in knowledge and expertise in dealing with PR, social media, crisis management and communications how it is handled in this day and age.

Hopefully their court is filled with the best and most qualified candidate to carry out the functions of the position.

White middle aged male can also be competent. Often even the most competent candidate. ;)

Let's stay clear of favoritism for various segments of the populations based on just that. It should always be the best candidate..
I will of course not agree that the white middelaged man often is the most qualified:p and Im of course also not saying you should choose someone just because of sex or backround.

But what is most qualified really in 2024 for a couple in their 50s and a heir who is 18. In a multicultural society where women now dominante many of the most difficult university courses in scandinavia and there is even talk about reserving places for men:D Maybe most qualified in 2024 is not who was most qualified in 1970, maybe for a modern couple in 2024 most qualified means something different, I hope so. ( and Im not starting a race discussion).

"The Cabinet Secretariat’s most important task is to assist and advise The Queen in carrying out the duty as head of state. The Cabinet Secretariat thus functions as the connecting link between the government and the Royal House of Denmark and attends to duties particularly related to the lawmaking process, including improvements in the holding of councils of state, formation and reorganization (reshuffling) of governments, and matters that are otherwise dependent upon royal resolution (among other things, appointment and dismissal of certain officeholders and cases regarding pardons). It is also the Cabinet Secretariat that deals with the requests continuously received regarding The Queen’s attendance at particular arrangements and handles contact with The Queen’s patronages. The Cabinet Secretariat is led by the Cabinet Secretary."
Interesting that such an important Position will not be filled again and left empty

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like two huge roles being merged.

This press statement seems to only be available in danish so far…

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/ændringer-i-den-kongelige-families-titler

As expected, the new King will carry the title of H.M. King Frederik X , and the new Queen will be known as H.M. Queen Mary.

When appearing together, they will be known as The King and Queen of Denmark.

H.R.H. Prince Christian becomes heir apparent, and will henceforth be known as H.R.H. Crown Prince Christian.

After the change of monarch, H.M. The Queen will be known as H.M. Queen Margrethe.

As expected, the new King will carry the title of H.M. King Frederik X , and the new Queen will be known as H.M. Queen Mary.

When appearing together, they will be known as The King and Queen of Denmark.

H.R.H. Prince Christian becomes heir apparent, and will henceforth be known as H.R.H. Crown Prince Christian.

After the change of monarch, H.M. The Queen will be known as H.M. Queen Margrethe.

I wonder why the Queen feels the need to drop the regnal numeral II following her abdication? Her Belgian colleague Albert II retained it when he abdicated, even though his father Leopold III dropped his ordinal and became plain King Leopold.

I hope (but do not expect) that the press release will serve as a reminder for Anglophone royal watchers that customs differ from monarchy to monarchy and referring to HM King Frederik X and HM Queen Mary is perfectly correct in Scandinavia, even if in the British monarchy the reigning monarch and his wife are not supposed to be referred to by their given names.

The English version has been added in the meantime:

** kongehuset: Changes in the titles of The Royal Family **

On Sunday, 14 January 2024, HRH The Crown Prince assumes the Danish throne as HM King Frederik the 10th. At the same time, HRH The Crown Princess will be known as HM Queen Mary. The Royal Couple will henceforth bear the title The King and The Queen of Denmark.

HRH Prince Christian becomes the heir to the throne and will henceforth be referred to as HRH Crown Prince Christian.

After the succession to the throne, HM The Queen will continue to be Majesty and bear the title HM Queen Margrethe.

I wonder why the Queen feels the need to drop the regnal numeral II following her abdication? Her Belgian colleague Albert II retained it when he abdicated, even though his father Leopold III dropped his ordinal and became plain King Leopold.

I hope (but do not expect) that the press release will serve as a reminder for Anglophone royal watchers that customs differ from monarchy to monarchy and referring to HM King Frederik X and HM Queen Mary is perfectly correct in Scandinavia, even if in the British monarchy the reigning monarch and his wife are not supposed to be referred to by their given names.

I also find it strange that the Crown Princess will be known as HM Queen Mary as opposed to simply HM The Queen. Is this usual for queens consort in Denmark?

I also find it strange that the Crown Princess will be known as HM Queen Mary as opposed to simply HM The Queen. Is this usual for queens consort in Denmark?

Given that Frederik is referred to as King Frederik the 10th; of course, in the same way Mary is Queen Mary. However, they will 'bear the titles' of the king and the queen of Denmark.

It seems very similar to how they are now both officially referenced as 'the crown prince' and 'the crown princess' while in daily life they are known as 'Crown prince Frederik' and 'Crown princess Mary'.

They announcement states:
(...)HRH The Crown Prince assumes the Danish throne as HM King Frederik the 10th. (...) HRH The Crown Princess will be known as HM Queen Mary. The Royal Couple will henceforth bear the title The King and The Queen of Denmark.

It is interesting that for Christian they only mention that he will henceforth be referenced as 'HRH Crown Prince Christian' without mentioning his official new title 'HRH The Crown Prince'.

Thanks to everyone for all the information, trivia, historical notes, etc. This forum is not just an on-going world-wide chat but a history classroom that never ceases to amaze me. And free of university credits charges too!

Now, the event will take place on Sunday, January 14th and from where we are in NY's USA/Canada Eastern time I assume we are 6-7 hours behind on Denmark's clock. Not sure if it was posted already but, does anyone knows the time of the day the balcony event will take place?

If it's a noon time moment, I'll get up early to catch it live in here at 6 AM USA/Canada Eastern time.

Thanks to everyone for all the information, trivia, historical notes, etc. This forum is not just an on-going world-wide chat but a history classroom that never ceases to amaze me. And free of university credits charges too!

Now, the event will take place on Sunday, January 14th and from where we are in NY's USA/Canada Eastern time I assume we are 6-7 hours behind on Denmark's clock. Not sure if it was posted already but, does anyone knows the time of the day the balcony event will take place?

If it's a noon time moment, I'll get up early to catch it live in here at 6 AM USA/Canada Eastern time.

A state council is usually at 10.00, given that they have to go through a number of formalities and little speeches and well wishes and so on before Frederik steps out on the balcony to be proclaimed I'd say it will happen around 11-12.00. Very likely at noon, because that's such a nice time to do such things.

A state council is usually at 10.00, given that they have to go through a number of formalities and little speeches and well wishes and so on before Frederik steps out on the balcony to be proclaimed I'd say it will happen around 11-12.00. Very likely at noon, because that's such a nice time to do such things.

Will Christian also be present at the Council of State meeting? Is it correct that he will now assume a seat on the Council of State as the heir? I also assume that the rest of the family will be at Christianborg as well for the events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom