Pre-Abdication, Information and Musings’ thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for posting this. Looking forward to watching this. Loved what Haakon said. Also, nice to hear from someone that actually knows Frederik and has grown up with him and can truly speak from a place of familiarity and knowledge. No spin, no agenda.

Agree. Haakon choose Frederik as his best man at his wedding, so the connection is strong.
more from CP Haakon
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kronprins-haakon-kommenterer-dansk-tronskifte

"In the interview, Crown Prince Haakon is also asked how he thinks Crown Prince Frederik has grown into the role of heir to the throne – a role he has not always been comfortable with.

"I think it has developed in a positive way, because he is a warm person, an open person who is open to the world. And he has lots of positive energy to contribute.'

Crown Prince Haakon points out how wise it is to build his work on his personality and strengths, something that he believes the future Danish king is good at.

He does not mention specific examples, but Crown Prince Frederik, who has always been fond of exercise, is among other things behind the annual – and extremely popular – exercise race Royal Run."

"New figures from the International Press Center confirm that millions of people across large parts of the world can follow the change of throne on Sunday.

NEW ARTICLE

"As many as 79 foreign media are coming to cover the events on Sunday, writes Se og Hør according to Ritzau.

This applies to, among others, the BBC, the New York Times and The Guardian. In other words, there are millions of people across large parts of the world who will be able to follow the change of throne.

Out of the 79 international media, eight of them come all the way from Australia, which, as you know, is Crown Princess Mary's country of birth."

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...mange-kommer-til-foelge-med-i-tronskiftet-paa

Last edited:
Don't know if this was asked before or if the RF mods will ask for a specific wording on soon-to-be King Frederick's numeral position.

Do we refer to him, for consistency in the future 30-40 years of Royal Furum chats, in words and/or numbers? Like King Frederick Ten, King Frederick the Tenth, King Frederick 10 or in the traditional Roman numeral version as King Frederick X?

I like traditional roman numerals Frederick X, and like our use for the Queen's QMII or QM2.
For King Frederick I like a short forum friendly version like KFX, KFredX, FredX, etc. ?

Don't know if this was asked before or if the RF mods will ask for a specific wording on soon-to-be King Frederick's numeral position.
Perhaps the name of soon-to-be King Frederik's could also be spelt correctly?

Perhaps the name of soon-to-be King Frederik's could also be spelt correctly?

You know, the spelling of his name always confuses me with that letter C in some countries and just the K in others! :ohmy: In Spanish he is Federico ?

Do we refer to him, for consistency in the future 30-40 years of Royal Furum chats, in words and/or numbers? Like King Frederick Ten, King Frederick the Tenth, King Frederick 10 or in the traditional Roman numeral version as King Frederick X?

I like traditional roman numerals Frederick X, and like our use for the Queen's QMII or QM2.
For King Frederick I like a short forum friendly version like KFX, KFredX, FredX, etc. ?

His official title will be His Majesty King Frederik X so i suppose most of us will simply call him Frederik X.

Some people, inclding myself, will probably sometimes refer to him as KFX and to Mary as QM, like we have used ro call Margrethe as QMII.

Now when Queen Margrethe will drop her regnal number after her abdication, i will continue to refer to her as QMII anyway to avoid confusion with Queen Mary.

Don't know if this was asked before or if the RF mods will ask for specific wording on soon-to-be King Frederick's numeral position.

Do we refer to him, for consistency in the future 30-40 years of Royal Furum chats, in words and/or numbers? Like King Frederick Ten, King Frederick the Tenth, King Frederick 10, or in the traditional Roman numeral version as King Frederick X?

We'd refer to him the same way we refer to any monarch with an ordinal; Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Margrethe II, King Charles III, King Felipe V, etc.

Its an historic day and the DIL of the old Queen stays at home with the children while her husband is there? Laughable, really. Marie should be there, very simple.
And of course it opens the discussion about the special family dynamics in the DRF :whistling:

From an outsider's viewpoint, I certainly agree that if my husband's brother was made KING I certainly would attend and so would my children. To see their uncle become KING is historical and they should be there. No excuse is valuable. Their schools will already be closed as it is a holiday there. Plus, there would not be an educator in their district that would have refused the children's absence for this important event of their family. Seems to me that someone's nose is jealously out of joint. JMO

I think its an overreach to read much into it personally.

Mary's siblings and father isn't attending - is that jealousy? No.

If its true Joachim was only told on 28th Dec its very possible IMO that the children have prior commitments on a long weekend off school and, having been in Denmark only weeks ago for Christmas and NY they have decided to keep them at 'home' and with their current plans. I doubt there is any big role for Henrik and Athena so why fly them 8 hours each way in a weekend?

I think its a purely practical response (which tbf is the same thing said of Margrethe's decision to strip the children of their titles)

I think its completely fine for them not to attend - yes it does suggest there isn't perhaps much personal closeness between the families atm but its hardly a snub or jealousy.

According to the published schedule for the day, not even M&F's three youngest children are to attend the proclamation in person.

So there is hardly a snub on Joachim's children, nor do I think our Marie is snubbing anyone.

So indeed, let's not descend too deep into the realm of speculation, lest we get lost. ;)

A great article on how Frederik is as a royal. How people from Denmark that have met him have said.
https://fagbladet3f.dk/artikel/saerl...MFqURjkItjJD4M

"One thing in particular about Crown Prince Frederik impressed Amalie Druekær Rasmussen:

- It actually made the biggest impression on me that he took the time to go around and talk to us young people - and not just the "adult", official people. But that he bothered to talk to us, says Amalie Druekær Rasmussen.

She has no doubt that with his gesture – and his opening speech at the DM in Skills – the crown prince is signaling that skilled education is important for Denmark's future.

- And it's just great that the royal house is focusing on that. It shows that we can be proud of being craftsmen and that it is worth at least as much as all other educations.

Although Amalie Druekær Rasmussen is not a big royalist on a daily basis, she has no doubts about how Frederik will become king:

- We are so used to seeing him associate with us ordinary citizens, so he will definitely be a good king. He becomes the king of the people." :flowers:

His official title will be His Majesty King Frederik X so i suppose most of us will simply call him Frederik X.

We'd refer to him the same way we refer to any monarch with an ordinal; Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Margrethe II, King Charles III, King Felipe V, etc.

But his official regnal numeral, at least in Danish, will be the Arabic numeral 10, not the Roman numeral X. (The Danish and Norwegian monarchies use Arabic numerals for numbering their monarchs.)

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/ændringer-i-den-kongelige-families-titler

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/changes-in-the-titles-of-the-royal-family

Last edited:
But his official regnal numeral, at least in Danish, will be the Arabic numeral 10, not the Roman numeral X. (The Danish and Norwegian monarchies use Arabic numerals for numbering their monarchs.)

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/ændringer-i-den-kongelige-families-titler

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/changes-in-the-titles-of-the-royal-family

Except Queen Margrethe is referred to as 'Queen Margrethe II' on the Danish Royal website and King Harald of Norway is referred to as 'King Harald V' on the Royal Norwegian website. Same with King CG - roman numerals are used there too.

I am wondering if this is an error, or they only use roman numerals after the abdication and he is officially King Frederik?

Except Queen Margrethe is referred to as 'Queen Margrethe II' on the Danish Royal website and King Harald of Norway is referred to as 'King Harald V' on the Royal Norwegian website. Same with King CG - roman numerals are used there too.

I am wondering if this is an error, or they only use roman numerals after the abdication and he is officially King Frederik?

I stand corrected on Norway; Harald indeeds use V on his profile page, although he uses 5 in his monogram.

https://www.kongehuset.no/seksjon.html?tid=27205&sek=26952

But Margrethe uses H.M. Dronning Margrethe 2. in her profile.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/den-kongelige-familie/h-m-dronningen#

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/t...roclamation-during-an-accession-to-the-throne

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/traditionen-bag-proklamation-ved-et-tronskifte

Since the Constitution of 1849, there has been a tradition that Danish sovereigns are proclaimed from Christiansborg Palace when an accession to the throne takes place.

[...]

The tradition of proclaiming an accession to the throne originates from olden days when a throne succession was announced to the people at the “landsting”, or open assemblies, in the various regions of the country. At that time, it occurred when a trusted public servant loudly proclaimed the accession to the throne to all four corners of the world so that everyone had the opportunity to hear it. As the proclamation now takes place from a balcony, the Prime Minister responsible for the proclamation abstains from turning in towards the Throne Room and thus makes the proclamation to three corners of the world.

[...]​

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/flying-of-flags-on-14-january-2024

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/flagning-den-14-januar-2024

On the occasion of the accession of a new sovereign to the throne, the flag will be flown on all state buildings and state ships throughout the Realm on Sunday, 14 January 2024.​

Ah, I was looking at the English version of her page, which shows HM Queen Margrethe II

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/the-royal-family/hm-the-queen/#

Then I suppose Frederik will likewise be numbered as 10 in Danish and X in English.

From an outsider's viewpoint, I certainly agree that if my husband's brother was made KING I certainly would attend and so would my children. To see their uncle become KING is historical and they should be there. No excuse is valuable. Their schools will already be closed as it is a holiday there. Plus, there would not be an educator in their district that would have refused the children's absence for this important event of their family. Seems to me that someone's nose is jealously out of joint. JMO

What exactly do you propose they 'attend'? It seems that on the day itself, the only ones who are officially expected at Christiansborg (where the abdication and proclamation are taking place) are Margrethe, Frederik and Mary. No other family members are mentioned. On the day after a reception is held at Folketing (parliament) for the wider royal family, however, I do understand why you wouldn't fly over two teenagers just to attend a reception with members of parliament. The church service is a week later, which would have been the most likely event to attend but that would require at least a week absence if they would want to be at the day of the abdication/ascension as well, so that seems quite excessive as well.

I hope and expect that the other family members (at least Frederik & Mary's children; as well as Mary's sister and probably Frederik's brother - for Margrethe, I hope that her sisters will be with her when she returns to the palace) will be present at the 'special reception' between 14.30 - 15.00 h and to witness the proclamation 'backstage'. And I assume there will be some kind of private dinner party in the evening at Amalienborg. Nonetheless, the formal events for the other family members to attend seem limited; especially on the day itself.

Oh well. But Denmark is beyond ecstatic and that is where it counts. Maybe Australia is focusing on other royals and all their troubles at the moment.

Australia isn’t focusing on other royals Izzie … more likely focussing on the tennis.

But the Danish Ambassador has been on breakfast tv today and said you can go online and sign a Book of Congratulations.

She, the Ambassador, will actually miss it and have to catch up later.

She’ll be at sea sailing back to the mainland from Tasmania when it happens.

Video below -

https://7news.com.au/sunrise/ambass...ation-to-become-denmarks-new-queen-c-13194020

Oh well. But Denmark is beyond ecstatic and that is where it counts. Maybe Australia is focusing on other royals and all their troubles at the moment.

As Sun Lion says, we generally do not focus on Royals at all here in Oz. Zara Tindall and her husband are in Australia at the moment, and I've seen one article on it.

There will be some coverage/reporting of the proclamation on Monday morning, and then that's it. We have the Australian Open starting with an Australian male player in the top 10, the next Test Cricket series starting on Wednesday and the weather that keeps our media busy :lol:

As Sun Lion says, we generally do not focus on Royals at all here in Oz. Zara Tindall and her husband are in Australia at the moment, and I've seen one article on it.

There will be some coverage/reporting of the proclamation on Monday morning, and then that's it. We have the Australian Open starting with an Australian male player in the top 10, the next Test Cricket series starting on Wednesday and the weather that keeps our media busy :lol:

You’ve got it CrownPrincessJava.

Even the Danish Ambassador doesn’t seem too worked up about it … taking a flight back to Canberra to host something instead of crossing Bass Strait by ship.

A few hours in the air versus a full day … or full night … at sea.

Then hours of driving up to the ACT from Geelong. Practically another day just for that, eight hours without stops.

Great to see her enjoying a holiday at Coles Bay. Mary and Frederik were filmed there all those years ago in the pre-wedding documentary.

Tasmania is sending Mary and Frederik a Huon Pine coffee table and planting a Blue Gum tree in Sandy Bay to mark the Coronation.

Photo of the table in this report -

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...ce-of-tasmania-to-be-gifted-to-princess-mary/

That is a small table.

But … Huon Pine is now protected, you can only use what has fallen.

And it smells wonderful, the most wonderful, unique smell.

Here is where you can send a message in the online version of the Danish Embassy’s Book of Congratulations -

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree. Haakon choose Frederik as his best man at his wedding, so the connection is strong.
more from CP Haakon
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kronprins-haakon-kommenterer-dansk-tronskifte

"In the interview, Crown Prince Haakon is also asked how he thinks Crown Prince Frederik has grown into the role of heir to the throne – a role he has not always been comfortable with.

"I think it has developed in a positive way, because he is a warm person, an open person who is open to the world. And he has lots of positive energy to contribute.'

Crown Prince Haakon points out how wise it is to build his work on his personality and strengths, something that he believes the future Danish king is good at.

He does not mention specific examples, but Crown Prince Frederik, who has always been fond of exercise, is among other things behind the annual – and extremely popular – exercise race Royal Run."

"New figures from the International Press Center confirm that millions of people across large parts of the world can follow the change of throne on Sunday.

NEW ARTICLE

"As many as 79 foreign media are coming to cover the events on Sunday, writes Se og Hør according to Ritzau.

This applies to, among others, the BBC, the New York Times and The Guardian. In other words, there are millions of people across large parts of the world who will be able to follow the change of throne.

Out of the 79 international media, eight of them come all the way from Australia, which, as you know, is Crown Princess Mary's country of birth."

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...mange-kommer-til-foelge-med-i-tronskiftet-paa

Thanks polyesco. Nice to see quite a bit of international media there, especially from Mary's birth country Australia. I just saw a news report posted on X from an Australian reporter that's in Copenhagen for the events.

I don't know about all of you, but I am very excited about Sunday night Australian time.
Fred and Mary have been on our news every night so far, and the Magazines are full of it.

The Australia Government will give Mary a gift, and I hope it may be similar to the diamond wattle brooch, that we gave Queen Elizabeth. (Many rare yellow diamonds in that one.)

Or maybe a rare pink Argyll diamond pendant or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe they use Arabic numerals on the Danish site and Roman numerals on the English site.

The Australia Government will give Mary a gift, and I hope it may be similar to the diamond wattle brooch, that we gave Queen Elizabeth. (Many rare yellow diamonds in that one.)

A piece of Jewellry would be nice. But is it certain that it will be one?

Errr, small difference between Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary. QE2 was actually Queen of Australia.

Bunte, the German tabloid, has an article, that Queen Margarethe II, even after her abdication, could be called upon as "Rigsforstander". i.e. Head of State - I think, when the then King Frederik will be abroad.
https://www.bunte.de/royals/daenisc...otz-abdankung-zum-staatsoberhaupt-werden.html
(Sorry, only in German!)

The others elegible for this position are Prince Christian, the then Queen Mary, Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte.

Hmm... Was there ever a coup in Denmark by a Rigsforstander, when a Monarch was abroad? I mean, ok, they are all family, one big, happy family... - nevertheless!

Bunte, the German tabloid, has an article, that Queen Margarethe II, even after her abdication, could be called upon as "Rigsforstander". i.e. Head of State - I think, when the then King Frederik will be abroad.
https://www.bunte.de/royals/daenisc...otz-abdankung-zum-staatsoberhaupt-werden.html
(Sorry, only in German!)

The others elegible for this position are Prince Christian, the then Queen Mary, Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte.

Hmm... Was there ever a coup in Denmark by a Rigsforstander, when a Monarch was abroad? I mean, ok, they are all family, one big, happy family... - nevertheless!
Rigsforstander means Regent and its Denmark and thankfully not the House of the Dragon ;)

I expect a family gathering and two weeks is not a long time for the palace minions to organise things.

You know, the spelling of his name always confuses me with that letter C in some countries and just the K in others! :ohmy: In Spanish he is Federico ?

There is no confusion...;)His name is Frederik. No C.
Always surprising how many long time royal watchers misspell his name.

The royal priest reveals: King Frederik himself wanted a celebration service.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kongehusets-praest-afsloerer-kong-frederik-oenskede-selv-festgudstjeneste

"Now the royal house's priest reveals to BT that it is Crown Prince Frederik himself who wanted to hold a celebratory service in Aarhus Cathedral to mark the change of throne.

"It is the wish of the future king to hold the service in Aarhus, and I am of course happy about that. It says a lot about his close relationship with Aarhus,' reads a written response from Henrik Wigh-Poulsen, who will lead the service."

an honor in Mary's hometown.
"'The people of Hobart are very proud': Touching blue gum tribute announced for Princess Mary in Tasmanian hometown"
Blue gums are considered a symbol of Tasmania
https://www.skynews.com.au/lifestyl...n/news-story/df2700c32de6837d7cbb2d0ad382eedc

and info on the State Council
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/statsraad-28907
"During the Council of State, the Queen will sign her declaration of abdication. The Crown Prince will then take over the throne as HM King Frederik 10. HRH Prince Christian will also become Crown Prince.

HM Queen Margrethe will then leave the Council Chamber, and the King will take the seat at the end of the table. HRH Crown Prince Christian, who as heir to the throne will have a permanent seat in the Council of State, will take the seat to the right of the King."

Last edited:
I don't know about all of you, but I am very excited about Sunday night Australian time.
Fred and Mary have been on our news every night so far, and the Magazines are full of it.

Some reports from Australian media

Nice that the Tasman Bridge (I hope I heard that correctly) in Tasmania will be lit up in Danish colors. The Australian Ambassador in Denmark is hosting a reception in Denmark and even the Slip Inn is decked out in Danish flags!

Interview with Danish Ambassador to Australia

Yet another report from Australian media as to all the preparations

More:
Partly in Danish but the comments from Australians are in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom